The Biden Presidency

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yes dude, having money is nice. Especially when you need them.

Not going bankrupt is also nice. The government tries to find a balance in this (though has been doing a poor job at it in the last 20 years).
Yes, a lot of people avoiding bankruptcy would be nice. Glad you agree.

Revan

Assumptionman
Cant they just spend a few trillion less on defense for a while? Or on, I dunno building a brick wall on the border?

Or wait, crazy idea, have uber rich people pay a bit more tax?
The defense budget is around 700billion. A cut on it for 20%, and you pay the debt needed for Eboue's relief bill after ... 25 years.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Minimising administration costs by only means testing taxes and not benefits is actually cheaper overall, you just need to adjust the taxation system appropriately.
exactly. if you really want to means test pandemic relief for some reason, you can easily do so by just taking the money back at tax season.

Revan

Assumptionman
It's funny isn't it, people saying you can't afford to give everybody money equally and it shouldn't be going to the very rich, but many of those same people don't support raising taxes on the rich.

At the risk of sounding very Scouse here, spending is irrelevant - it's all about net spend. Minimising administration costs by only means testing taxes and not benefits is actually cheaper overall, you just need to adjust the taxation system appropriately.

We should be talking about financial transaction taxes (penny per trade), wealth taxes on people with tens of millions of dollars they will never spend, and environmental taxes on polluters and those benefitting from unethical trading methods e.g. companies using unsustainable palm oil, profitable companies who don't pay enough to live on etc. Apparently that's scary though whereas starving poor people isn't.
Not really. Any covid relief bill should be linked with balancing the budget (increasing taxes for the rich, cutting expanses by making the government smaller, cutting foreign aid and lowering the defense budget should be prime candidates).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The defense budget is around 700billion. A cut on it for 20%, and you pay the debt needed for Eboue's relief bill after ... 25 years.
So cut that and raise taxes for the rich. Would help in general to cut back the deficit.

Revan

Assumptionman
what is the ideal citizen death to debt reduction ratio?

@Revan if you could push a button that would wipe out 27 trillion in debt by killing 1 random citizen would you do it?
Ok, I play your game.

Yes, without thinking twice. More citizens die each day cause of poverty-related causes and an unhealthy debt cause poverty.

Revan

Assumptionman
I like how you think this supports your argument that it's a crazy idea.
I think the defense budget should have been cut long ago and that money be spent on paying the debt.

Call me crazy, but I don't think is super nice to spend money you don't have (and even worse, you don't have a plan on how to pay them).

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Spending the insane amount of money that you cannot pay, after being in a debt that you cannot pay is a bad decision. Yes, people need money. That doesn't mean that the US should just give up on saving their own economy.
If you really want to look at this on the country-level scale, then another consideration: interest rates on country loans are close to zero now. Making this investment in the country is likely to lead in some economic gain, plus that part of the money may be clawed back through taxes (not sure how that's done for these checks; do they count as taxable income?). Even if that gain very small, the US would still make a net profit out of its investment.

Still a bad idea?

But beyond that, I still think it makes no sense to take this one expenditure and look at it in isolation. Is this the threshold that will send US debt into insanity? If not, what does add that's significant enough to bar this one thing? And why can't it be accompanied by measures to increase US tax revenue? Or by cuts to non-essential services like parts of the military?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think the defense budget should have been cut long ago and that money be spent on paying the debt.

Call me crazy, but I don't think is super nice to spend money you don't have (and even worse, you don't have a plan on how to pay them).
You're treating this like simple household economics. It's nowhere near the same. And even so, an individual can take out loans with the idea to make an investment that will repay the loan (or just save a life).

Sweet Square

Tbf you can't just hit the print money button until you feel better unless you're some sort of global superpower/empire, with a currency everyone wants and mass number of nukes.

Sadly none of this can be said of the United States.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Tbf you can't just hit the print money button until you feel better unless you're some sort of global superpower/empire, with a currency everyone wants and mass number of nukes.

Sadly none of this can be said of the United States.
Bison dollars!

Revan

Assumptionman
Finally a noteworthy response. I go over your points.

If you really want to look at this on the country-level scale, then another consideration: interest rates on country loans are close to zero now. Making this investment in the country is likely to lead in some economic gain, plus that part of the money may be clawed back through taxes (not sure how that's done for these checks; do they count as taxable income?). Even if that gain very small, the US would still make a net profit out of its investment.
Yes, the interest rates are low, which probably has been a reason why the debt has increased like mad. Investing money in the country can get some economic gain, depending on how you invest it. Putting it in infrastructure for example, or in small businesses, likely archives that. Not sure about giving it directly to people.(yes, it is nice for those, especially those who really need it, but does that really returns some economical gain)?

But beyond that, I still think it makes no sense to take this one expenditure and look at it in isolation. Is this the threshold that will send US debt into insanity? If not, what does add that's significant enough to bar this one thing? And why can't it be accompanied by measures to increase US tax revenue? Or by cuts to non-essential services like parts of the military?
My point is that the debt is way pass what should be to have a healthy economy. The alarm bells should have been sound during Obama's administration, but they didn't do anything about it. And Trump was even worse (despite that GOP pretends to care about it). You cannot go forever with 'we're fecked, what does it matter if we get fecked even more'.

And yes, every budget should be balanced and expenses in some sector should be accompanied by cuts in other sectors (or the potential to increase the economy). This should have been happening even without covid. That debt is gonna feck the US long term, and sorry for thinking that it shouldn't get further increases, and if so, only at the bare minimum while making cuts where is possible.

Finally, if the situation was so easy to solve (by simply giving more money), why none of the politicians actually are doing so? Giving free money is actually good to get votes, and we know the politicians like votes. Why no one is considering (not even Bernie) the 18k check that Eboue wants?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Yes, the interest rates are low, which probably has been a reason why the debt has increased like mad. Investing money in the country can get some economic gain, depending on how you invest it. Putting it in infrastructure for example, or in small businesses, likely archives that. Not sure about giving it directly to people.(yes, it is nice for those, especially those who really need it, but does that really returns some economical gain)?

My point is that the debt is way pass what should be to have a healthy economy. The alarm bells should have been sound during Obama's administration, but they didn't do anything about it. And Trump was even worse (despite that GOP pretends to care about it). You cannot go forever with 'we're fecked, what does it matter if we get fecked even more'.

And yes, every budget should be balanced and expenses in some sector should be accompanied by cuts in other sectors (or the potential to increase the economy). This should have been happening even without covid. That debt is gonna feck the US long term, and sorry for thinking that it shouldn't get further increases, and if so, only at the bare minimum while making cuts where is possible.

Finally, if the situation was so easy to solve (by simply giving more money), why none of the politicians actually are doing so? Giving free money is actually good to get votes, and we know the politicians like votes. Why no one is considering (not even Bernie) the 18k check that Eboue wants?
Isnt part of the problem all the money given to rich people through tax breaks? It's handy for getting their votes and donations, but also good for losing tax income.

Revan

Assumptionman
Isnt part of the problem all the money given to rich people through tax breaks? It's handy for getting their votes and donations, but also good for losing tax income.
Yes, of course. The US taxes less than it should (especially the rich).

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Who does the US owe 138% of its GDP to though?

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
:lol: your argument is

"this cant be a good idea, no politicians are doing it"

incredible stuff

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
How is this not the lead story everywhere.

This may be what they were trying to hid from transition team. There is no stockpile of vaccine.

Revan

Assumptionman
:lol: your argument is

"this cant be a good idea, no politicians are doing it"

incredible stuff
My argument is that it is such an insane idea that no respectable politician has even thought about it.

And it would be popular, people love free money. Why do you think no one is proposing that?

MTF

Who does the US owe 138% of its GDP to though?
Both domestic and foreign investors. The largest single foreign investor is the Chinese Govt and associated entities, but I don't think China accounts for even half of the foreign owned portion.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
It can be found here: https://www.thebalance.com/who-owns-the-u-s-national-debt-3306124#:~:text=The public holds over $21,insurance companies, and savings bonds.

Short answer: a bunch of actors, including foreign government (though the majority is from the US entities itself).
So $6tn owed to other governments and a couple of trillion owed to what the Fed? Doesn't make an awful lot of sense does it? Plus nearly a quarter is intragovernmental debt - why would you count that? How can a government owe itself money and we're somehow worried about that?

MTF

So $6tn owed to other governments and a couple of trillion owed to what the Fed? Doesn't make an awful lot of sense does it? Plus nearly a quarter is intragovernmental debt - why would you count that? How can a government owe itself money and we're somehow worried about that?
I don't know if there's a quirk in public sector finances that means it should be counted.... but definitely in general you consider "intracompany" debt a wash.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
This fits in with my point about a state's economy being nothing like household economy. It's very hard to determine cause and effect in national economies, plus every state existing in the context of the world means that much is outside your control (much more than at home).

To bring that back to giving money to people: rising household financial trouble will not just lead to increased personal debt, mortgage failures, but also to worsening mental health, other health issues - and so on and so forth. Much of the cost of those issues will eventually come back to the state. Being able to alleviate those impacts in any way might actual bring enormous benefits to the state economy - except it is very hard to quantify that. (Plus that there is the moral imperative to help people in their time of need. If that state doesn't, then who will? And what's the use of the state of it can't be there when its residents most need it?) Additionally, there is the part that helping people remain in at their previous financial status is health for the tax base, and hence for tax revenue stability.

In principle, I agree that it's better if states stay within their means as much as possible. Well, in good times: to my mind, part of a state's raison d'être is to be there in bad times (as I mentioned above). I disagree that the way to do that is to limit or cut costs though. Rather, the state should determine what standard of living it considered the minimum acceptable for its residents (and not the bare minimum; something truly livable), consider what that costs, and set taxes accordingly.

I have no idea if $2,000 is the right amount for COVID-19 relief right now. But if it is in some way, then my view is that it should be provided and tax revenue should be increased accordingly. If that requires large (huge, for all I care) income and wealth tax increases for those that can take it, then so be it. The idea of forming a state is that you're stronger together, and that requires investment in your co-residents through taxes (as any state's preferred wealth redistribution vehicle).

Its funny, in college they don't have a class called 'pointless morality tests' under the economics department.
But they should. Well, not pointless morality. But from my reading on economic theory, my sense is that economy is taught in relatively theoretical and mathematical sense, too divorced from 'life'. But economy is not a natural science, it's a social science. And hence societal implications should be taught. For example, I couldn't imagine studying economy without being taught about the humongous shortcomings of the GDP as an important economic indicator. That's probably an obvious one, but there is much beyond that.

Revan

Assumptionman
I believe that money is owed by Social Security. Which was supposed to invest that money (so the boomers, when they retire have money), but instead loaned it to the government. With the number of boomers retiring supposed to increase, Social Security needs money to pay for their pensions.