The big summer clear out & the funds raised.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
We are expected to have a big summer clear out no matter what decision INEOS make on ETH's future. Some departures have already been announced and the following weeks & months should see more movement in terms of the outgoings. The funds raised from the sales would be important as we need a lot of additions. We have never been good sellers, but I am hoping that would change under INEOS. In addition, a clear out helps us save a huge amount on wages and improve our FFP position for the next cycle. We have already cleared around half a million in wages/wk (~26m/year) by letting go of Varane and Martial. I am expecting ~£100m in sales, which could be a big boost to our budget as we look to strengthen at least 5 or 6 position.

2024/25 summer outgoings:

Released/End of Contract:
  1. Rafael Varane (CB) - End of contract
  2. Anthony Martial (FWD) - End of contract
  3. Brandon Williams (LB/RB) - End of contract
  4. Omari Forson (RW/LW) - End of contract (Tribunal Fee)
  5. Charlie McNeill (Striker) - End of contract
Loans:
  1. Joe Hugill - Wigan (League One)
Sales:
  1. Alvaro Fernandez (LB) - £5.1m ( €6m) - Option to buy exercised by Benfica
  2. Donny Van de Beek (CM) - £423k (€500k) plus add-ons
  3. Willy Kambwala (CB) - £4.63m (€5.5m) plus £5.1m (€6m) in add-ons.
  4. Mason Greenwood (Striker) - £23.3m (€27.6m) plus £3.4m (€4m) in add-ons. Also, a sell-on clause.
Total Fees generated so far: ~£33.45 + add-ons.​

Last edited:
I think it will still need take bit more time to do massive clear out. It’ll be difficult to get rid the big wages.

Assume ten hag stays. He already had interview with Voetbal International a day before the FA Cup final that he mentioned at least 3 new positions to challenge for top 4.

Varane’s replacement.
Midfielder
Striker

I expect us to sign these three positions. In addition, I also believe we need a starting left back because the left back has been part of our problem this season (make Shaw as backup LCB and LB instead of starting LB)

For outgoings ideally:

Maguire 20-30
Lindelof 15
Casemiro 30
DVB 5
Scott 30-40
Eriksen (not sure if he is out of contract) 5
Sancho 40
Greenwood 30-40
Pellestri 5

So between 180-210 million in sales potentially, maybe I’ve overpriced them slightly and I doubt we sell all of them in one window, but with INEOS in charge now, maybe there is hope.

We would then need:

2 x CB
3 x CM
1 x ST
1 x RW

I think it will still need take bit more time to do massive clear out. It’ll be difficult to get rid the big wages.

Assume ten hag stays. He already had interview with Voetbal International a day before the FA Cup final that he mentioned at least 3 new positions to challenge for top 4.

Varane’s replacement.
Midfielder
Striker

I expect us to sign these three positions. In addition, I also believe we need a starting left back because the left back has been part of our problem this season (make Shaw as backup LCB and LB instead of starting LB)

The expiring contracts next season make the situation a little interesting. We'll either have to sell some of these players this window, let them go on a free next summer window or offer them new contracts.

- Victor Lindelof - Contract ends June, 25
- Wan Bissaka - Contract ends June, 25
- Christian Eriksen - Contract ends June, 25
- Willy Kambwala - Contract ends June, 25
- Donny Van de beek - Contract ends June, 25
- Facundo Pellistri - Contract ends June, 25
- Amad Diallo - Contract ends June, 25 (Option for another season)
- Scott McTominay - Contract ends June, 25 (Option for another season)
- Harry Maguire - Contract ends June, 25 (Option for another season)

Heaton's and Brandon Williams' contract ends this summer. I think both will be let go.

We need to decide on the futures of all of them. In addition, Casemiro, Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho;s stay with us is up in the air.

Last edited:
For outgoings ideally:

Maguire 20-30
Lindelof 15
Casemiro 30
DVB 5
Scott 30-40
Sancho 40
Greenwood 30-40
Pellestri 5

So between 180-210 million in sales potentially, maybe I’ve overpriced them slightly and I doubt we sell all of them in one window, but with INEOS in charge now, maybe there is hope.

We would then need:

2 x CB
3 x CM
1 x ST
1 x RW
That's a fair list and must also be saving circa £1.5m/week in salaries. It would give a decent budget under PSR too. With Varane and Martial also gone that's £2m/week, which is pretty crazy really.

Midfield and CB are clearly where we need to focus. However I'd also add AWB to the outgoings, and bring in a new full back who can cover both flanks seeing as our two LBs can't be trusted to stay fit.

Can Brandon Williams, Shoretire and Hannibal also be sold or they out of contract this summer?

I would prefer to keep Maguire at this stage. Was one of our better performers this year and he is usually fit (except for right now, incidentally).

I'd have all these players for the chop.

AWB
Maguire
Linfelof
Shaw
McT
Casemiro
Eriksen
Sancho
Greenwood
Pellestri
Hannibal
Malacia
Antony

Get whatever you can for them and move on.

Some will stay to make up numbers. Letting that many players go will require signing 9-10 players, which is not the correct way to go. At the most we'll get 5 or 6 players in, excluding our yearly GK purchase. The priority positions are: a CB, a LB, 2 CM's, a versatile winger and a striker. Which would mean AWB, Maguire and McTom stay to make up the numbers.

What clear out? At best we'll get rid off 4-5 players. And most of those will not go for much. And how would we replace most of them? When MU is selling we don't get much in, when we're buying we get fleeced.

I reckon those will be nailed to stay: Altay Bayındır, Lisandro Martínez, Bruno Fernandes, Rasmus Højlund, Amad Diallo, Alejandro Garnacho, Diogo Dalot, Luke Shaw, Kobbie Mainoo, Willy Kambwala, André Onana, Marcus Rashford.

From the rest, apart from the ones in bold, who'd fetch above 10-15mln? Victor Lindelöf, Mason Mount, Tyrell Malacia, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Harry Maguire, Christian Eriksen, Antony, Scott McTominay, Shola Shoretire, Jadon Sancho, Donny van de Beek, Hannibal Mejbri, Mason Greenwood, Casemiro.

For every outgoing you need to have a replacement. Especially considering our awesome injury record.

We're in FFP trouble and the awards dinner was scrapped to cut costs at the end of the season. I wouldn't bank on there being a lot of incoming players that aren't free transfers or super low costs. Probably 3-4 players.

It's okay saying we're going to have a clear out but players on long contracts don't have to and won't leave if they don't want to. Casemiro has a massive contract, he has every right to sit on it for example.

People listing McTominay are off their head.

We start with a minimum of 3 midfielders. If you go off the assumption that Eriksen, Amrabat & Casemiro won't be here, you'd be left with

- Mainoo
- Bruno
- Mount
- McTominay

Mount can't be relied to stay fit after this season, and now we are in the Europa we'll have a lot of games. I would suggest we'd need a minimum of 6 first team midfielders, so the above and an additional 2.

When you factor in the other areas of the squad that need addressing, we won't be signing more than 2 midfielders.

People listing McTominay are off their head.

We start with a minimum of 3 midfielders. If you go off the assumption that Eriksen, Amrabat & Casemiro won't be here, you'd be left with

- Mainoo
- Bruno
- Mount
- McTominay
Amrabat has not yet left the club, let’s wait. Also, don’t forget Dan Gore, Hannibal and - well - DVB

Yeah, that is why I think he won't leave in this window. I really hoped that Dan Gore will have a good loan and will come back ready to play a part next season. Unfortunately, he suffered an injury and I don't know where is he in terms of his development now. Looked very good in the little I saw of him last season.

Amrabat has not yet left the club, let’s wait. Also, don’t forget Dan Gore and Hannibal

Sevilla had an option to buy Hannibal, which I don't think they'll take up. He'll be back but we'd most likely be looking for a buyer for him in the summer again.

We're in FFP trouble and the awards dinner was scrapped to cut costs at the end of the season. I wouldn't bank on there being a lot of incoming players that aren't free transfers or super low costs. Probably 3-4 players.

It's okay saying we're going to have a clear out but players on long contracts don't have to and won't leave if they don't want to. Casemiro has a massive contract, he has every right to sit on it for example.
Where are you getting the info that we're in FFP trouble?

Amrabat has not yet left the club, let’s wait. Also, don’t forget Dan Gore, Hannibal and - well - DVB

Gore... hasn't kicked a ball. Went on loan to league 1 and got injured.

Hannibal will be moved on. He's been punted out on loan constantly and hasn't established himself.

Van de Beek. Seriously?

Amrabat will be moved on. Granted he's had a few good games as of late, but this season he's been mostly terrible.

Unfortunately it does. As you can see we're already flying close to the wind which is why we're trying to reduce costs now. FFP is over 5 seasons, not just this season.
Do you have anything supporting that? It's been discussed that we are clear to spend quite a lot before having to even consider FFP, due to some problematic years falling out of consideration. It was posted in numerous threads.

It’s not going to be the massive clear out everyone is wanting or expecting re: sell the whole team. Varane and Martial are gone and we will field offers and likely sell Greenwood, Sancho, Casemiro, AWB and Eriksen. Despite Rashford’s down season, I don’t see any suitable offer coming in for him and thankfully Wilcox and Berrada will have more sense than to sell Bruno since he is pivotal to our success at the moment. I also have a feeling that the club may opt to make Amrabat’s move permanent given he will come at a fairly low price and is a solid squad option. We still need a young DM to compete with City and Arsenal who have Rodri and Rice.

5 to 7 players sold and likely 5 to come in: CB, RB, 2 CMs and a striker/forward. Provided we don’t have another injury crisis next season, this should allow us to make a run at a top 3/4 spot. The injuries to key players in implementing ten Hag’s system really derailed any hope of making progress this season.

8rur6r.jpg

I think AWB stays just because I'm not sure we can afford to add "backup right back" to our priority list this Summer. Maguire too for similar reasons. You let him or Lindelof go, we are then looking at needing 2-3 center backs.

I think the big situations need remedied first before focusing on other parts of the 'clear out'. Sancho & Greenwood are the big ones to deal with, most likely followed by the Rashford & Casemiro situations. Varane & Martial were two big earners confirmed as leaving already which is the right thing to do. After that I think it's a case of trying to move on the players out on loan that haven't made the grade, DVB & for all his early potential, Hannibal

Obviously you can't forecast what clubs are interested in which player and when a bid is due to come in for somebody not top of the priority list, but it would be nice to see the club actively trying to resolve some of these bigger issues prior to the season starting so it isn't looming over the dressing room.

There's obviously a lot of sub par players to sort, like Lindelof, but as others have pointed out you can't flip a squad that quickly and some of them are still useful backup players. I can understand why people include McTominay in their lists to clear out as you would get decent money for a 'Premier League proven' player like him, however I think he's too useful as a squad player to let go.

It will be an interesting summer for sure, I just can't see us making great strides in one window but if they can resolve the big issues & successfully replace I think that would be a big step forward.

Do you have anything supporting that? It's been discussed that we are clear to spend quite a lot before having to even consider FFP, due to some problematic years falling out of consideration. It was posted in numerous threads.
Just random reports and the Mitten from the Athletic suggesting it will be a tough summer. Before we've sold anyone, the budget seems to be somewhere between £35m-£100m, which ain't much in this market.

He is not, don’t try to outwit yourself.

I wouldn't be able to outwit myself. He's probably worth more tbh, he's a significant upgrade on that midfielder that flopped at Arsenal and he went for over £100M

For outgoings ideally:

Maguire 20-30
Lindelof 15
Casemiro 30
DVB 5
Scott 30-40
Sancho 40
Greenwood 30-40
Pellestri 5

We would then need:

2 x CB
3 x CM
1 x ST
1 x RW
Assuming we are selling both Maguire and Lindelof along with Varane confirmed to be leaving and also potentially Evans leaving we would need at a minimum 3 new CB's. Can't see it happening personally. I think one of Maguire/Lindelof will end up staying.

With Varane and Martial also gone that's £2m/week, which is pretty crazy really.
Huh? Where are you getting those figures from? Even taking the reported top end of their salaries of 340k/week and 250k/week, that comes to around 600k/week saved on both.

Edit: Oh wait never mind. I only read that statement in isolation. You were including all the other players from the list. My bad.