The big summer clear out & the funds raised.

McTominay is worth more than £80M after this year

Or..

iu

Gore... hasn't kicked a ball. Went on loan to league 1 and got injured.

Hannibal will be moved on. He's been punted out on loan constantly and hasn't established himself.

Van de Beek. Seriously?

Amrabat will be moved on. Granted he's had a few good games as of late, but this season he's been mostly terrible.
I don't think Hannibal has been given a fair shot. There seems to be something about him ETH doesn't like I think, and falling out with Sevilla on day one doesn't bode well either. It's a shame as I like him as a player a lot and think if things click into place for him - he'll be a really good PL level midfielder. But yes, I agree I think he's gone.

Gore and VDB are non entities for different reasons. Hopefully we can retrain VDB as a plumber or something useful around the place and Gore can get some injury luck in his next loan.

Amrabat I think has a shout of being a smart addition at the small buy clause included, assuming Casemiro and Eriksen both leave. We'll need a backup #6/8 and he has shown he can do a job when setup in a functioning system, and assumingly won't mind being a squad player on low wages. It's one to think about, as I'm sure our recruitment department have plenty of scouting to do as it stands without replacing a backup 6/8 type.

I dont think Scott will be sold even INEOS decided to do a clear out. And it's the same problem as last window, if you sell him you'd have to replace him especially now that Casemiro looks certain to be on his way out. And you'd end up spending all his money for the replacement that wont be much better. See Amrabat for example, different players but didn't really improve the squad overall.

Amrabat I think has a shout of being a smart addition at the small buy clause included, assuming Casemiro and Eriksen both leave. We'll need a backup #6/8 and he has shown he can do a job when setup in a functioning system, and assumingly won't mind being a squad player on low wages. It's one to think about, as I'm sure our recruitment department have plenty of scouting to do as it stands without replacing a backup 6/8 type.

I don't think 20M is a small buy clause, especially for a player who is backup quality at best. I do appreciate that he had a great game in the Cup final but he has also produced a few awful performances and it is telling that the manager who pushed for his signing preferred not to use him for large stretches of the season when we were dealing with a dire injury crisis and he was fit and available.

People genuinely believe we'll make well over 100m in sales this summer.

Just :wenger:

As has already been mentioned, I'd be shocked if we see the massive turn around in the squad as some are expecting. A few months ago there was talk of a mass exodus, but EtH has said on a few occasions that they have been discussing the transfer plan and has said a defender, midfielder and striker. We've lost Martial, Varane and Amrabat's loan is coming to an end, so I think that makes sense.

Greenwood and Sancho look to be gone. I think Amad takes over Sancho's place in the squad.

Donny van de Beek, Pelistri and Hannibal are all in a similar boat, but I don't think their situations will impact the squad really.

Of the rest I think Eriksen is the most likely to leave. He has already stated he is unhappy with his playing time and if you watched the Spurs documentary, he isn't shy about forcing his way out of a club. Casemiro is an interesting one also. I didn't think he would leave, but I think some of the events around the FA cup final were pretty telling. EtH said after the game, that injuries meant that he couldn't drop players who were underperforming. With Martinez and Varane back, Casemiro is the one who gets dropped. I think he gets dropped before that if we had some fit defenders. I think we probably survive if Eriksen leaves, if Casemiro or both leave, I think we need one additional. As a small aside, did anyone see the handshake between EtH and Casemiro during the celebrations? Damn that was frosty.

I think everyone else is pretty much safe. We have enough to do dealing with our problems, never mind upgrading any of our underperformers. Replacing any of Antony, Rashford, AWB, McTominay, Maguire, Lindelof, or anyone else for that matter, won't happen this window.

We're in FFP trouble and the awards dinner was scrapped to cut costs at the end of the season. I wouldn't bank on there being a lot of incoming players that aren't free transfers or super low costs. Probably 3-4 players.

It's okay saying we're going to have a clear out but players on long contracts don't have to and won't leave if they don't want to. Casemiro has a massive contract, he has every right to sit on it for example.
We are far from FFP trouble

Assuming we are selling both Maguire and Lindelof along with Varane confirmed to be leaving and also potentially Evans leaving we would need at a minimum 3 new CB's. Can't see it happening personally. I think one of Maguire/Lindelof will end up staying.

I was assuming Evans comes back on a one year deal personally for something like:

New RCB/CB/Kambwala
Martinez/Shaw/Evans

But three would be a big ask, especially with what we need in other areas, maybe we could sign Todibo/Tosin and sell one of Maguire/Lindelof:

Todibo/Tosin/Kambwala
Martinez/Maguire/Evans

I was assuming Evans comes back on a one year deal personally for something like:

New RCB/CB/Kambwala
Martinez/Shaw/Evans

But three would be a big ask, especially with what we need in other areas, maybe we could sign Todibo/Tosin and sell one of Maguire/Lindelof:

Todibo/Tosin/Kambwala
Martinez/Maguire/Evans
I'll be surprised if Evans stays for one more season. I think he only signed a 1 year contract last summer and I haven't seen any reports about us looking to extend it. He will probably end up retiring. As much as he did his job for us this season, that is what it all was. Doing a job. We shouldn't have to rely on him so much and our defence has to drop deep to accommodate for his lack of pace.

I don't think 20M is a small buy clause, especially for a player who is backup quality at best. I do appreciate that he had a great game in the Cup final but he has also produced a few awful performances and it is telling that the manager who pushed for his signing preferred not to use him for large stretches of the season when we were dealing with a dire injury crisis and he was fit and available.
Ah, had in my head that it was something like €10m. My mistake.

20m would be a bit of a stretch given the work that needs doing on the squad and the small sample size of good performances. I don't judge him too harshly for his poor performances however, given the dreadful system, playing out of position, first PL season etc.

But at 20m, I'm sure there are plenty of better options out there. Perhaps we can pick up an Ndidi on a free for example.

Well we definitely could. We'd just have to sell some players that we really shouldn't and definitely won't sell.

Hopefully, we can get at least around £120m-£130m transfer fees from the sale and clear out some of the big wages this summer :angel:

Sell: £137.5m (1043k or £54m annual salary worth) = £192m
Sancho 2024 January loan fees: £7.5m
Sancho: £40m (250k)
Greenwood: £25m (50k)
Casemiro: £30m (350k)
Pellistri: £10m (20k)
Lindelof: £5m (120k)
VDB: £5m (120k)
Eriksen: £5m (120k)
Alvaro Fernandez: £5m
Hannibal: £5m (13k)

Released:
Varane & Martial (590k)

Minimum Signings: £192m total (440k to 500k pw)
  • New CB + New midfield -> £110m (240k total)
  • Amrabat -> £17m buy clause
  • New left back -> £30m (100k)
  • New striker -> £35m (100k)

Casemiro, Sancho and Greenwood alone should easily generate that. It obviously depends where Casemiro is going, but if Saudi clubs are in, it's easy. Fabinho went for around 40m, and Casemiro is a much bigger name.

No one would pay 5m for Eriksen, it’s unlikely we will get any fee for him. For Donny think 2-3m max. However, Lindelof might be sold for higher than that.

The players we need to get rid of with the highest transfer fee potentials are Casemiro, Greenwood and Sancho. Should be possible to get around £80m for them combined. If we are lucky there are minor fees to get from the likes of Pellistri, Eriksen and van de Beek as well. I don't see us selling any more than that. The squad will be paper thin if we start getting rid of the likes of McTominay, Maguire and Lindelöf, even though they aren't good enough. It's completely unrealistic to bring in 6-7 players in one window, in my opinion. We need to focus on the most important areas and unfortunately just accept that revamping the squad is going to take several windows.

It will be business as usual (regarding outgoings). We will sell those who have some kind of reputation (Greenwood, Casemiro, Eriksen, Sancho).
Usual suspects who have decent value on the market (McT, Maguire, Williams...) will stay.

The reduction in wage bill from Martial, Sancho and Varane leaving :drool:

Other than that, Greenwood should fetch some money. Don't expect any other significant sales.

It will be business as usual (regarding outgoings). We will sell those who have some kind of reputation (Greenwood, Casemiro, Eriksen, Sancho).
Usual suspects who have decent value on the market (McT, Maguire, Williams...) will stay.

Brandon Williams contract runs out in June this year, so at least there's no issue there.

I would prefer to keep Maguire at this stage. Was one of our better performers this year and he is usually fit (except for right now, incidentally).
I don’t disagree about maguire - his stock has risen with me not just because of his performances but also his attitude and professionalism throughout what must have been a difficult couple of years. My only concern with maguire is we sort of have to compromise a little bit of playing a high line and being fairly aggressive in winning the ball if he’s in there, and even more so if he’s partnered with Martinez - neither being physically fast enough to cover swathes of space. It’s why the profile of the Varane’s replacement is the likes of Araujo, Todibo etc - young, fast, strong, aggressive players who are decent at carrying the ball/sounds passers of the ball etc. That would be my only concern - plus his fairly high wage for what would be a “backup” of course.

Overall though, I’d keep Maguire and get rid of Lindelof if that was the choice. I don’t think we’re getting rid of all of Varane (expired), Lindelof and Maguire in one window. That Fulham CB as a freebie seems a very enticing prospect as well.

Hopefully, we can get at least around £120m-£130m transfer fees from the sale and clear out some of the big wages this summer :angel:

Sell: £137.5m (1043k or £54m annual salary worth) = £192m
Sancho 2024 January loan fees: £7.5m
Sancho: £40m (250k)
Greenwood: £25m (50k)
Casemiro: £30m (350k)
Pellistri: £10m (20k)
Alvaro Fernandez: £5m
Hannibal: £5m (13k)

Released:
Varane & Martial (590k)

Minimum Signings: £192m total (440k to 500k pw)
  • New CB + New midfield -> £110m (240k total)
  • Amrabat -> £17m buy clause
  • New left back -> £30m (100k)
  • New striker -> £35m (100k)
Interesting shot. I’d quibble with a few; but then there’s a good few debatable (@Alemar already pointed out). But I would hope to see 200m on signings. Hopefully these turn out both wise and lucky.

Sorry to be too lazy to sift through google results on this, but am I correct in saying that any sale of say Antony for less than the 86m we paid doesn't actually get added to our budget? As it would be counted as a loss against an 86m asset? Whereas any sale of Rashford or McTominay counts as pure profit as we didn't pay anything for them? I thought that was how FFP worked now anyway.

Sorry to be too lazy to sift through google results on this, but am I correct in saying that any sale of say Antony for less than the 86m we paid doesn't actually get added to our budget? As it would be counted as a loss against an 86m asset? Whereas any sale of Rashford or McTominay counts as pure profit as we didn't pay anything for them? I thought that was how FFP worked now anyway.

As Antony has been here 2 years out of a 5 year contract, 2/5 or 40% of his transfer has been accounted for so we'd need to sell at 60% (51.6M if 86M is correct). Anything more than 51.6 (fat chance) is profit, anything less is loss.

My understanding anyway...there may be a little more to it.

As Antony has been here 2 years out of a 5 year contract, 2/5 or 40% of his transfer has been accounted for so we'd need to sell at 60% (51.6M if 86M is correct). Anything more than 51.6 (fat chance) is profit, anything less is loss.

My understanding anyway...there may be a little more to it.
Ah that makes more sense, as I was wondering why the club seemed fine with selling Maguire who presumably would have counted as a huge loss under those circumstances but is probably all accounted for now.

These threads are always good for a laugh, when people list off 10+ players we’re going to sell in one summer, as if that ever happens. Yeah we’re getting rid of Maguire, Lindelof, Varane, Shaw, Evans, McTominay, Casemiro, AWB, Martial, Antony, Sancho, Eriksen, DVB, all in one summer.

Casemiro, Sancho and Greenwood alone should easily generate that. It obviously depends where Casemiro is going, but if Saudi clubs are in, it's easy. Fabinho went for around 40m, and Casemiro is a much bigger name.

Yes, but United aren't great at getting fees.

We'll probably end up letting Casemiro go for free and then funding half his wages.

Well if the report is to be believed we are targeting "PL proven young players" and players in the final year of their contract.

"...ManchesterWorld understand Everton duo Jarrad Branthwaite and Amadou Onana are both being considered, as well as Crystal Palace ace Michael Olise and Fulham defender Tosin Adarabioyo. Marc Guehi, Max Killman and Pedro Neto are also admired, while the club have a long-term interest in Brighton striker Evan Ferguson...."

"...United are keeping tabs on Port Vale forward Baylee Dipepa, Blackburn striker Igor Tyjon and Australian right-back James Overy as they look to identify youngsters with high-potential, while Boca Juniors defender Aaron Anselmino is also of interest....*

https://www.manchesterworld.uk/spor...chester-united-manager-must-work-with-4645830

I actually find it funny. We do this every season.

Then every season we end up not selling but instead loaning our players that have value, they end up leaving on free or just under £10m.

Then every season we end up not selling but instead loaning our players that have value, they end up leaving on free or just under £10m.
Agree. We only get big money when a player we want to keep is being wooed by the likes of Real Madrid (the recent exception is Lukaku who we got good money for).
Our wages are just a huge hinderance to any outgoings and will lilely be for a few years even with INEOS in charge.

Agree. We only get big money when a player we want to keep is being wooed by the likes of Real Madrid (the recent exception is Lukaku who we got good money for).
Our wages are just a huge hinderance to any outgoings and will lilely be for a few years even with INEOS in charge.

Everyone talking about Sancho and Greenwood £30/40m. Watch how they either stay or loaned out and then leave on a free.

Whereas Chelsea want £25m for their ST from Ipswich. We cant even get £25m for a player like Sancho.

We're utterly appalling at outbounds. The only reason we're managing to get rid of Varane and Martial is being out of contract. At least we've learnt from the renew to "protect the value", which is something.

You hope under the new regime that we think twice at bringing in the likes of Sancho on top in league wages.

I am hoping for a 2-10 quid a pop fire sale to get rid of Hannibal, Pellestri, Dvb, Lindelof, AWB & Eriksen. Sure there are some takers for these guys.

I am hoping for a 2-10 quid a pop fire sale to get rid of Hannibal, Pellestri, Dvb, Lindelof, AWB & Eriksen. Sure there are some takers for these guys.
Lindelof and Bissaka may probably fetch more than that, up to 15.

Realistically there could be serious outgoing movement as all of Bayinidir, Williams, Lindelof, Evans, Fernandez, Casemiro, Eriksen, Hannibal, VDB, Pellestri, Sancho and Greenwood will most likely join Varane and Martial out the door.

There were lots of reports yesterday or the day before about Ineos/Berrada/Wilcox wanting at least 5 players all under the age of 25 in this summer and there being a long term list of 5 set rules going forward in regard to recruitment, if we got rid of all the above mentioned then 7 coming isn’t unrealistic when we’re already trying to sort Branthwaite and it’s not even June yet.

I think a good summer would be 2 centre backs with one right sided and one left sided, a left back, 2 midfielders with one being a pure defensive midfielder, a right sided forward and a striker. I can see us keeping AWB, Maguire, Malacia, McTominay and Antony for squad purposes now that we’re in Europa on the back of the cup final win.

We seem to have identified Branthwaite and Olise as two definite buys this summer so that would be the left sided centre back and the right sided forward, I’d love us to bring Wharton and one of Fofana or Thuram into the squad, I’d love Gutierrez from Girona, if Lille want £45-£50 million for Yoro we’d be crazy not to go all out for him then up top both Guirassy and Dovbyk has small release clauses.

I can’t see us having too big a clear out this summer. My feeling is it will be something like:

Varane - free
Martial - free
Greenwood - £15m
Sancho - £25m
Casemiro - £15m

Ideally, coming in, we need at least 1 x CB, 2 x CM and 1 x CF, with possibly another left back as well.

Brandon Williams confirmed leaving now at the end of his contract. A nice little wage space created.

What a contract that was for a player who we hardly used after we gave him a substantial contract. Another one of the Woody and Ole special.