The big summer clear out & the funds raised.

Brandon Williams confirmed leaving now at the end of his contract. A nice little wage space created.

What a contract that was for a player who we hardly used after we gave him a substantial contract. Another one of the Woody and Ole special.

We love to get excited and back these kids, but past regimes have got as giddy too quickly, much like fans, over youngsters coming in and doing well. To be fair, there was a period where he was out performing Shaw, but that feels like a fever dream now.

You people do this after every down year, and it's always the same story. Why do you think other clubs would be interested in signing overpaid players coming off crap seasons?

Your team keeps devaluing players. The only guy you can realistically sell - and should sell - for a decent profit(30/40 if you are very lucky, more realistically somewhere in the 20-25 range) is McTominay

Then you have Casemiro and possibly Bruno, where you're hoping for Saudi offers.

Beyond that you don't have profitable assets, it's a bunch of guys you might sell for very small fees and free up the wages - except in several cases you'd then need to sign a replacement too

You people do this after every down year, and it's always the same story. Why do you think other clubs would be interested in signing overpaid players coming off crap seasons?

Your team keeps devaluing players. The only guy you can realistically sell - and should sell - for a decent profit(30/40 if you are very lucky, more realistically somewhere in the 20-25 range) is McTominay

Then you have Casemiro and possibly Bruno, where you're hoping for Saudi offers.

Beyond that you don't have profitable assets, it's a bunch of guys you might sell for very small fees and free up the wages - except in several cases you'd then need to sign a replacement too
Truth hurts but Agreed. I still think we can get rid of the deadwood but it requires a mindset change from the top. Where we are getting hit is not on transfer fees. Its on wages. Wage bill compared to performance is a disaster. So the club needs to be willing to let these grossly overpaid players leave for discounted prices.

Last edited:
Club can't even deal with the manager situation in a quick and efficient manner. As if they're going to have a big clear out. It'll be the same old shit of selling a couple youth players, loaning out a few overpaid wasters, and buying a few new names who may or may not become deadwood in a year

You would hope we would sell greenwood for decent money, Sancho too. Casemiro is the other seemingly likely exit. I am not sure we do much else beyond that really.

It's just the yearly "clearout" wishful thinking. Fans go through this every summer. United are not a selling club. Some very fringe players might get shipped off and replaced by more deadwood at a premium price. The high earners will still be here next season. It's a comfy place for them.

Everyone talking about Sancho and Greenwood £30/40m. Watch how they either stay or loaned out and then leave on a free.

Whereas Chelsea want £25m for their ST from Ipswich. We cant even get £25m for a player like Sancho.
You pay him upwards of £300k a week. Which club exactly could even pay him that?

You would hope we would sell greenwood for decent money,
You are not selling Greenwood for decent money, lolmao. Roflmao even. Everybody knows he's nuclear waste as far as you're concerned

Unfortunately it does. As you can see we're already flying close to the wind which is why we're trying to reduce costs now. FFP is over 5 seasons, not just this season.
I don't think it does, what it states is that the club tried to claim back too much in losses due to Covid 19, mostly I would assume from gate receipts and matchday revenue, (shirt sales etc), that loss was reduced by UEFA to €15m instead of the €281m United claimed, but it's still a loss on the books, (not a very big one), which in my mind would allow us a net spend increase of the €15m over the accounting period.

You're paying clubs 30 millions to take him off your hands? Sure, that works
I think it'll be ~€20m or so plus some decent addons when all is said and done, which is an absolute bargain for how talented he is as a player.

Absolute belled of a person, of course. But I'm sure there are plenty of clubs out there willing to turn a blind eye now that he's shown he's still at a good level.

You can't talk common sense in here it's not allowed.

I said the same about Rashford, after his season and now being dropped by England he's a £40m player, not the £70- 80 some expect.

I think it'll be ~€20m or so plus some decent addons when all is said and done, which is an absolute bargain for how talented he is as a player.
He can't play for Manchester United again. Ever. Why would anyone willingly pay you anything for a player you need to be rid of??? He'll leave on a free or on loan. If you so much as manage to get a 1M compensation package for him you should canonize your negotiators

You pay him upwards of £300k a week. Which club exactly could even pay him that?

Then he needs to stop moaning and get training with the U21. if he wants to moan about playing time, lower your wage demands and leave.

We love to get excited and back these kids, but past regimes have got as giddy too quickly, much like fans, over youngsters coming in and doing well. To be fair, there was a period where he was out performing Shaw, but that feels like a fever dream now.

We definitely do. There were many stupid contracts during the Woody days.

Even if he did well, I'll never understand the need to hand that huge contract, surely we weren't in danger of losing him to other teams? The "protecting/preserving value" was one of the biggest nonsense going on around that time.

He can't play for Manchester United again. Ever. Why would anyone willingly pay you anything for a player you need to be rid of??? He'll leave on a free or on loan. If you so much as manage to get a 1M compensation package for him you should canonize your negotiators
Nah, I doubt it. The guy had the talent to be among the best attackers of his generation. He's shown this year he can still perform very well in a strong league, playing for a shite team after a long time completely out of the game.

Any recruiter with more guile than morals will be looking at this as an exciting opportunity, especially given the dearth of strikers on the market at the moment.

Had he not done what he did he'd very possibly be an £80m+ player by now. There'll be enough competition for his signature this summer to get something like €20m, in my opinion anyway.

But hey, who cares. So long as he doesn't play for us again I'll be happy.

On the rest of the squad - I doubt there'll be a major clearout unfortuanetly. As you say the wages are too high and values too low.

If we can raise ~£60m through shifting Greenwood, Sancho and any of the assorted hangers on I'd be delighted.

I think we'll lose quite a few players this summer due to contracts expiring and also we'll sell/loan a few. I created this thread to keep track of all of them.

I don't care about anyone's "people never learn" take. Thanks for your views, though.

8rur6r.jpg
Funny.

I think there will be some slight changes. Martial , Varane and Casemiro are definitely gone. They will all need to be replaced. Sancho and the other guy might be gone too. Replacement needed there. So around 4-5 out , 4-5 in .

There'll be enough competition for his signature this summer to get something like €20m, in my opinion anyway.
There are 2 possibilities here:
1) United let him go at whatever conditions the "buyer" wants
2) He stays at United, gets paid to train alone and sit on his couch

Rinse and repeat

Given 2), why would anyone consider paying a transfer fee for that

There are 2 possibilities here:
1) United let him go at whatever conditions the "buyer" wants
2) He stays at United, gets paid to train alone and sit on his couch

Rinse and repeat

Given 2), why would anyone consider paying a transfer fee for that
3) More than one club is interested in his services, allowing market forces to determine the price.

3) More than one club is interested in his services, allowing market forces to determine the price.
Every single one of thosr clubs(who exactly, btw?) knows the situation. The price determined by the market would be his wages, not a transfer fee. Everyone knows they don't need to pay a transfer fee for him

Every single one of thosr clubs(who exactly, btw?) knows the situation. The price determined by the market would be his wages, not a transfer fee. Everyone knows they don't need to pay a transfer fee for him
Fair enough mate, I disagree, and could well be wrong. I am afterall just a man drinking coffee in his pants wasting time on a football forum.

We'll see soon enough I suppose.

Everyone talking about Sancho and Greenwood £30/40m. Watch how they either stay or loaned out and then leave on a free.

Whereas Chelsea want £25m for their ST from Ipswich. We cant even get £25m for a player like Sancho.

Key difference between Hutchinson and Sancho is the salary. Hutchinson is still on a contract he signed at 18 years old, that is at the very most 5-10% of what Sancho is earning so the market for him is much, much wider than it would be for Sancho whose wages can only be afforded by a select few elite clubs. Most of the clubs who could afford to get Sancho just aren't interested in signing him.

Say we get £20-25M for Hutchinson and his next club gives him a £40K/wk deal for five years, counting the transfer fee and salary that's an overall investment of just £30-35M over the five year contract duration (£6-7M/y) which is definitely affordable to any PL club and quite a few clubs around Europe as well. Clubs who are interested in signing him (there have been rumors about Ajax, Feyenoord, Ipswich and Stuttgart) would likely do so with the idea he could potentially raise his value over the next few years and then eventually sell him off for a profit to one of the bigger clubs. And even if he never develops into being quite that good, he could still end up being a good value for money player for themselves long term.

If United were willing to subsidise Sancho's salary to the tune his next club would only need to pay him £50-100K a week I'm sure there would be clubs lining up to sign him for £25M but a deal like that just wouldn't make any sense for United.

Ding ding ding

Here how our cycle looks after summer transfer window, over pay some fecker, give him mental wages, season starts, he show glimpses first 2-4 games, this place comes with "this how world class looks" or some similar drivel and then slowly decline until player turns into same shower of shit he joined.

More than "clear outs", we actually desperately need quality additions. Some are definitely leaving: Varane, Martial, Williams, Forson and most likely Amrabat. Assuming we also sell/loan out Lindelof/Maguire, Sancho, Pellistri and Mejbri, we will need at least:
2 proper CBs (to replace Varance & Maguire/Lindelof): 50m+20m
1 backup LB (competing with Shaw): 20m
1 proper DM/CM (to replace Amrabat): 50m
1 winger (to replace Sancho): 60m
1 striker (to replace Martial): 60m
Total: 260m

Sell:
Sancho: 30m
Lindelof/Maguire: 20-30m
Pellistri: 10m
Mejbri: 5m
Antony: 40m
VDB: 5m
Malacia: 10m
Greenwood: 30m
Total: 150m

Realistically, we will be left with:
GK: Onana/Bayindir (Harrison as 3rd choice)
RB: Dalot/AWB
CB: Martinez and new CB (new CB, Evans, Maguire/Lindelof as backup)
LB: Shaw/Amass/new LB
CM: Mainoo + new CM (McTominay + Casemiro as backup)
LW: Garnacho/Rashford
AM: Bruno/Mount
RW: new winger/Amad
ST: Hojlund/new striker/Wheatley

There are still many weak links here but things will not change in a season. If we can ensure the new signings have a 50-70% success rate, then we're good.

Last edited:

Check out how much we pay Sancho.

I keep getting this.

Go check how much Havertz got sold for.

Go check how much Mount was sold for.
It’s nothing to do with transfer fees. Sancho has a contract with Utd for another 3 years I’m guessing and he’s on £250,000 a week supposedly . Try telling the chairman you want to sign an inconsistent player on those wages plus a fee who posts on social media when he isn’t getting a game.

Maybe we could get 35-40 for Casemiro, 45m for Maguire and Mctominay combined and 15m for Greenwood. Lindelof, Hannibal and Pellistri would maybe generate 20m between them at a push.

Antony, Sancho, DVB would all have to be loaned out, Eriksen would have to go a free transfer. I don’t expect all those to go but we’re not going to be raising huge sums in this window, the big saving should be on wages assuming we stop dishing out huge wages to new signings.

Maybe we could get 35-40 for Casemiro, 45m for Maguire and Mctominay combined and 15m for Greenwood. Lindelof, Hannibal and Pellistri would maybe generate 20m between them at a push.

Antony, Sancho, DVB would all have to be loaned out, Eriksen would have to go a free transfer. I don’t expect all those to go but we’re not going to be raising huge sums in this window, the big saving should be on wages assuming we stop dishing out huge wages to new signings.

I think for that price it's more likely we keep Maguire and McT. Unless they really want to move to be first choice somewhere then it would cost too much to replace them, and they're good squad options, if they're happy with that role.

I keep getting this.

Mount was on £80K a week at Chelsea when he was sold so not exactly proving your point there.

Havertz was on a big money contract so I will give you that. Still, it's not like he was considered a problematic player Chelsea absolutely needed to get rid of like Sancho seems to be for United. If a good offer hadn't come, we would just have kept him ourselves and continued using him but everyone knows United have no intention of keeping Sancho.

If you want to use a Chelsea comparison, Lukaku might be a closer alternative. He's on big wages and everyone knows neither Chelsea nor Lukaku are interested in a reunion so the best we've gotten in the last two years have been loan offers that heavily favored the loaning club.

My prediction:
- around £15m for Greenwood
- season long loan for Sancho around £5m
- £20m for Casemiro from Saudi
- £2m for Van de Beek

It’s nothing to do with transfer fees. Sancho has a contract with Utd for another 3 years I’m guessing and he’s on £250,000 a week supposedly . Try telling the chairman you want to sign an inconsistent player on those wages plus a fee who posts on social media when he isn’t getting a game.

Ok you got me. Whatever me and you might think of him, he does have a fans that think he is special.

The one thing I would say is we cannot let him go on loan and pay. If he wants to go, reduce your wage requirements.

BVB is the highest level of football.

I keep getting this.

They weren't on Sancho's wages. They still aren't. Also, Havertz may have been disappointing for Chelsea, but he was good. It was still an insane deal made by one of the big PL clubs. Mount is a great player coming off a season in which he'd been still good when fit. It was also pretty insane that he was signed at those conditions too, given his contract situation

Now, even in the PL there are like 3 clubs paying Sancho wages to *any* of their players. Of those 3, one is City, one is Liverpool, and the third is Arsenal. The first two are out obviously, the third have no need for a player of his profile. Outside of England, there's Bayern - who are covered, PSG - looking at other players, and Madrid - covered, again

---> There is no market for Sancho at those wages

Crazy talk. Players have refused to train, handed in transfer requests, fallen out with managers etc before, and they’ve still gone for decent fees.

Mount was on £80K a week at Chelsea when he was sold so not exactly proving your point there.

Havertz was on a big money contract so I will give you that. Still, it's not like he was considered a problematic player Chelsea absolutely needed to get rid of like Sancho seems to be for United. If a good offer hadn't come, we would just have kept him ourselves and continued using him but everyone knows United have no intention of keeping Sancho.

If you want to use a Chelsea comparison, Lukaku might be a closer alternative. He's on big wages and everyone knows neither Chelsea nor Lukaku are interested in a reunion so the best we've gotten in the last two years have been loan offers that heavily favored the loaning club.

I get that but he was also on his last year of the contract.

Lukaku is a good example tbf, we have created a real mess here with this. Lukaku though, was moving mad saying things like he wants to go back to Inter etc... Sancho is more he is just lazy and thinks he has made it in football.

They weren't on Sancho's wages. They still aren't. Also, Havertz may have been disappointing for Chelsea, but he was good. It was still an insane deal made by one of the big PL clubs. Mount is a great player coming off a season in which he'd been still good when fit. It was also pretty insane that he was signed at those conditions too, given his contract situation

Now, even in the PL there are like 3 clubs paying Sancho wages to *any* of their players. Of those 3, one is City, one is Liverpool, and the third is Arsenal. The first two are out obviously, the third have no need for a player of his profile. Outside of England, there's Bayern - who are covered, PSG - looking at other players, and Madrid - covered, again

---> There is no market for Sancho at those wages

Agreed, which is why we should not let him go on loan.

If he wants to go play elsewhere, get them to make an offer and accept a lower wage.

If not, come back to United and play in the U21.

We have to pay his wages wherever he goes anyway.