Books The BOOK thread

The Corinthian

Finished Carrie yesterday. Decent novel, not too long either. Isn't really a horror in the traditional sense, but a good overall read.

b82REZ

Finished Norwegian Wood. Well written but ultimately a very dull, coming of age story. Bizzare that this is the book that made Murakami famous as even by his own admission it's not his best work.

Started reading The Trial by Franz Kafka last night. Wow. Only a chapter in but I can't stop thinking about it.

It's resonates so much with modern society and the idea of trial by social media. I genuinely can't wait to get home and carry on with it.

The Corinthian

Finished The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar.

It's a excellent book about a middleclass Parsi woman (Sera) and her elderly servant/housemaid (Bhima), and the unspoken class divisions that exist between them. It's about their lives and the secrets they keep from all but one another. It's a really nice book (and I think the author has recently written a sequel). It's described as a book of Indian Apartheid which I think is quite apt.

Revan

Assumptionman
Struggling with the Black Swan. The author must think that he is a genius, everyone else is an idiot, and he is showing that of with every line of his writing.

Vidyoyo

Self-confessed coffee shop chat-up expert
Finished Norwegian Wood. Well written but ultimately a very dull, coming of age story. Bizzare that this is the book that made Murakami famous as even by his own admission it's not his best work.

Started reading The Trial by Franz Kafka last night. Wow. Only a chapter in but I can't stop thinking about it.

It's resonates so much with modern society and the idea of trial by social media. I genuinely can't wait to get home and carry on with it.
Agreed. It's much less interesting than his other books. Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki is a return to the same style but I found it a much better book overall.

On Haruki - I'm still reading IQ84 and enjoying it more than I did at the beginning. I'm a bit so-so about the Aomane parts but the Tengo parts are great.

b82REZ

Agreed. It's much less interesting than his other books. Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki is a return to the same style but I found it a much better book overall.

On Haruki - I'm still reading IQ84 and enjoying it more than I did at the beginning. I'm a bit so-so about the Aomane parts but the Tengo parts are great.
I actually had Colorless lined up as my next read but Norwegian Wood put me off starting it.

I plan to get 1Q84 soonish. Rereading 1984 for the hundredth time currently.

Suv666

Reading Stefan Zweig's The World of Yesterday. Incredibly fascinating.

Vidyoyo

Self-confessed coffee shop chat-up expert
So I finished Books 1+2 of 1Q84 yesterday. As a novel, it's all over the place and far too long with lots of repetitive passages that have way too much description of subjective events. Somebody on Reddit described it aptly by saying it's like a book Murakami wrote only because he didn't have an editor breathing down his neck to tell him to rein it in. Hundreds of pages could be cut without losing the point of the book.

However despite this, I can't deny it's provocative and I'm intrigued by the story so I'll no doubt read part 3 at some stage. It's basically everything I like and hate about Murakami in one simply easy-to-throw 800 page novel.

It's also amazing how fecking bad he is at writing sex scenes. One part describes a woman's pubic hair as having telepathic qualities :lol:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Speaking of sex scenes, I read Philip Roth's The Humbling yesterday. It's short at a very spaced out 138 pages, so good to read in one go.

It's fairly enjoyable, intriguing, darkly comic at times and tautly written -unlike Dickens' David Copperfield, which I was reading before it. It's only the second Roth book I've read, after Portnoy's Complaint, and he isn't shy about graphic sex scenes or language to the point of being lurid or grubby at times - it's a bit odd to think about 76 old authors writing about threesomes with strap-ons, but his writing is so elegant it lifts him above accusations of being a dirty old man I think.

Moriarty

Anyone know if there's an English translation of Renzaburo Shibata's 'Nemuri Kyoshiro - Record of an Outlaw.' I can only find Japanese language versions.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
TIL that David Eddings (author of a kid-friendly series of fantasy books I read when I was a child) went to jail for child abuse. Apparently he kept his adopted son in a cage and his wife was caught beating the child with a belt.

This is the sort of thing that colours memories of childhood favourites. Yikes.