Books The BOOK thread

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I've been reading Stephen King's It for the past few days and it has the potential to become my favorite King's book, I must say.

Already 800 pages in it with only about 400 left (still don't know how he's going to squeeze all the action that seemingly has to take place in the remaining 400), I just feel as if I lived in Derry itself - that's what I like most about King, the build-up before the actual events take place.

Needful Things are next in order.

El B

Isn't It the book with the greased up white supremicist called the 'Tower of Power'?

Anyone a fan of HP Lovecraft? I’ve just finished Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories. The man is a genius, proper horror writer and massively ripped off by Stephen King and numerous others.
I'a Dagon! I'a Hydra! Cthulhu Fataghn!

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
i read Lean on Pete by Willy Vlautin (singer, songwriter, writer who i'm a big fan of anyway) and i loved it. There is such a realism in his novels. Really american which i think appeals to me because it is quite alien for me. He is a born story teller and you believe in his characters,

I read it in a day, that's how much i loved it and i'd read it again.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Just finished The Count of Monte Cristo on audiobook. I probably wouldn't have had the balls to start reading it had it not been an audiobook, but I'm glad I did. I had pretty much known what to expect since I had read Jeffrey Archer's A Prisoner of Birth, which was billed as somewhat of a modern-day version of Dumas's classic. It was amazing that even through 47 hours of narration, I never found myself bored, and even when I thought the book sometimes veered towards unnecessary details or characters or tangents, I certainly felt rewarded when everything that seemed somewhat accessory was brilliantly wrapped back into the main plot as something extremely important. Really kept me on my toes. A bit predictable of course, not because it was a bad plot, but because at least half of every dramatic work ever made since its publishing has stolen at least something from the plot of this book. So I'd urge anyone that hasn't yet dived into this classic to give it a shot. If you find the 1300+ pages daunting, then try the audiobook (the one narrated by John Lee, who also read Pillars of the Earth and World without End) and it'll be much easier to get started, and once you do that it won't take any effort to keep going.

Heardy

Just finished The Count of Monte Cristo on audiobook. I probably wouldn't have had the balls to start reading it had it not been an audiobook, but I'm glad I did. I had pretty much known what to expect since I had read Jeffrey Archer's A Prisoner of Birth, which was billed as somewhat of a modern-day version of Dumas's classic. It was amazing that even through 47 hours of narration, I never found myself bored, and even when I thought the book sometimes veered towards unnecessary details or characters or tangents, I certainly felt rewarded when everything that seemed somewhat accessory was brilliantly wrapped back into the main plot as something extremely important. Really kept me on my toes. A bit predictable of course, not because it was a bad plot, but because at least half of every dramatic work ever made since its publishing has stolen at least something from the plot of this book. So I'd urge anyone that hasn't yet dived into this classic to give it a shot. If you find the 1300+ pages daunting, then try the audiobook (the one narrated by John Lee, who also read Pillars of the Earth and World without End) and it'll be much easier to get started, and once you do that it won't take any effort to keep going.
What are audiobooks like - i've never listened to one and kind of thought it defeated the object (unless of course you are visually impaired), do you get the same level of engagement when you are listening rather than reading?

They always seemed ridiculously expensive too?!

Any you'd recommend?

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
What are audiobooks like - i've never listened to one and kind of thought it defeated the object (unless of course you are visually impaired), do you get the same level of engagement when you are listening rather than reading?

They always seemed ridiculously expensive too?!

Any you'd recommend?
To be completely honest, I think it's even a higher level of engagement, although it depends on your reading style. Some people have a hard time staying focused on a paragraph. Jumping around, looking ahead to the next line or paragraph, etc. But what you pay for when you buy an audiobook isn't the words, actually, it's the performance. The production quality is extremely high. Nowadays publishers hire fantastic readers, sometimes teams of readers to do multiple voices, who make it a point to bring the book to life the best they can through their voice.

And the convenience is incredible. You can't read a book while walking to and from class or while driving to and from work. You can listen to an audiobook while doing those things because they don't require your hands and/or eyes. You can listen to them while working, although I've found that that's generally not a great idea because the good books will engage your mind enough that the book itself becomes a distraction from your work. I like to listen while in bed trying to fall asleep. You don't have to have the light on for that. Eating as well. You can certainly listen while cleaning or doing chores. Think about all the time you spend doing those things and that's the time you can spend listening to performances of books you wouldn't otherwise have time to read, and at the same time make some of the more mundane tasks of your day a little less boring. You can carry all of your books on an iPod or other player so it takes up no more space than you would normally take up by carrying your music around. Also, like I mentioned, I never would've attempted a book like The Count of Monte Cristo if it weren't an audiobook. Pick up a physical copy and it's a daunting 1300+ page behemoth that you have to carry around wherever you go. There's something about seeing the same book listed as "47 hours" that makes it seem less intimidating. It makes it even seem like you're getting a good deal for 47 hours of entertainment. While reading a book some people require a quiet environment. You don't need that with an audiobook, because the book itself drowns out the surrounding noise.

Of course there's drawbacks. With DRM it's hard to share audiobooks. You can, however burn to CD and give it to anyone so there's ways around that problem. Also every spoken word matters in the audiobook. If someone bothers you while reading the print version, you can just put the book down and come back later to the same spot and pick up reading where you left off without too much trouble. When the same thing happens with an audiobook, you have to fumble around and pause your music player, and find your spot again after the person leaves. Sometimes not a problem, but sometimes I personally get distracted by something else while listening and don't realize it until maybe ten minutes after the fact and it's much harder to go back and find your place in an audiobook than in a print book. Fall asleep while reading? You're most likely on the same page when you wake up. Fall asleep listening to an audiobook and it just keeps going, which causes problems when you wake up in the middle of the night 2 hours further ahead than you expect and all of a sudden a huge spoiler is revealed. I've had to develop the habit of immediately shutting off my iPod when I wake up in the middle of the night.

They're not all that expensive either. Assuming you're from the UK, audible.co.uk (owned by Amazon; audible.com if you're from the states) has a great selection of audiobooks. If you get an account with them they have different packages where you can get one or two books a month for a certain price (£7.99 / month for one and £14.99 / month for two) which is usually far less than you would normally spend on an audiobook. I don't know if the same deal is offered in the UK, but in the states, I opt to pay for a year's worth of books (24) all at once and they give a discount for that as well so it comes out to roughly £6.09 per book. I think you can get two free books to try out if you go to audible.co.uk/twit2. Not sure if you have to sign up, but you can cancel if you decide you don't like it.

Of course you only get a digital copy (part of the reason the price is low since the overhead is minimal) but it's fully compatible with iTunes or you can use Audible's own media player and it's fully compatible with a bunch of devices including iPods. Of course there's digital rights management on the files, but usually that's not too big a problem. You can burn to CD without having to worry about that if that's your preference.

Personally I'd recommend pretty much anything you'd like to read. The selection is quite good at Audible. They should also have a large number of customer reviews for most of their books. Anything 4/5 stars or greater is usually well worth a listen. I like listening to really long works since they're books I wouldn't attempt otherwise. Things like traditional classics that everyone likes to talk about that I never got a chance to read when I was in school and now feel left behind for not having read. It's good for both fiction and nonfiction, so I've done everything from long fiction epics (Count, Pillars of the Earth), to overrated fiction stuff (DaVinci Code, etc) to fictional works I read as a kid (Redwall) to self help books (Predictably Irrational; Free: A New Radical Price) to informative works (Three Cups of Tea, Stones into Schools) and contemporary bestsellers (Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Girl with a Dragon Tattoo). I'd recommend just thinking of a book you've read before that you'd love to read again and using one of your free book credits on those. Then you can have some sort of comparison between experiences, although it's not quite the same when you already know the ending. Use the other one on something new.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Most of the books i buy on Audible range from between £14-20. and i do have to buy because two a month which i can get for free through my account simply isn't enough.

I have found however that a problem with their range is most evident if you are reading a series or collection of books, for their can be anything form gaps to but a mere sprinkling of an author's work open to you. In which case you must [and i don't mind this at all really] go back to unabridged cassettes or CDs. Depending upon availability and the source you'll pay either in the region of £20 or £45-50 in most cases.

Although saying that i recently attempted to buy a book on the Amazon Marketplace, the seller set the fee at £77. Now i wasn't willing to pay that so sent of an email with the hope of negotiating them down to the mid to late 50s and you know what he did? Put it up buy a fiver the utter bloodsucker.

All this expense aside, the books i care about most i'll still look to get an actual copy of, preferably a first edition with dust jacket and in good nick [although sometimes you cannot be so fortunate if they are of an age].

If you are reading a book where there are passages in another language say, it can be quite enlightening to hear the words spoken as they should be and such.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Most of the books i buy on Audible range from between £14-20. and i do have to buy because two a month which i can get for free through my account simply isn't enough.
So you can confirm that they don't let you get all the credits at once in the UK? That sucks. Part of the reason I rely so much on Audible is that the price comes out to less than I would pay for a print book. At least a newly released one.

SCM

I have read book 12 and enjoyed it a lot. (You will need this bit of motivation to read book 10.)

There are some differences ins style between Jordan and Sanderson. The main one is that Jordan was much more subtle, in the sense that he would tell less, substituting hints instead. This mainly apply to what various characters think.

Anyway, while some characters seem a bit off, overall it is a very good book. IMO, Sanderson was a good choice for the author which would finish this story.
Haven't found 10 a problem so far as read about a 3rd of it last night in one sitting, so getting closer to book 12 and catching up before book 13 later this year.

Dyslexic Untied

Looking for good non-fictional books about the Crusades and the Knights Templar in particular.

It's a part of European history that's always interested me and something I'd like to expand my knowledge of. Any tips?

Should be English or Scandinavian.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
So you can confirm that they don't let you get all the credits at once in the UK? That sucks. Part of the reason I rely so much on Audible is that the price comes out to less than I would pay for a print book. At least a newly released one.
I have what they call an Audible Listener Premium Membership, £14.99 for 2 credits. If you only two books a month you are quids in but if your demand is higher than that you have to taken thme as you find them.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
I have what they call an Audible Listener Premium Membership, £14.99 for 2 credits. If you only two books a month you are quids in but if your demand is higher than that you have to taken thme as you find them.
Damn, that sucks. When I first got my membership I got a great deal for 24 credits all at once for what amounted to $7 a book plus two free because I took advantage of some special deal. I used that up in about 6 months and then bought another 24 at once for the normal member price.

I think it would be worth a shot to send an email to or chat with customer service to see if you can get all your credits at once since we have that option here in the States. If anything, that'll help their business because then you're more prone to keep buying from them rather than looking somewhere else for cheaper solutions after you've run out of credits. Customer service is quite helpful. They helped me undo an automatic renewal of my 24 credits once because I couldn't quite afford the $220 hit at the time and the process was painless.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Damn, that sucks. When I first got my membership I got a great deal for 24 credits all at once for what amounted to $7 a book plus two free because I took advantage of some special deal. I used that up in about 6 months and then bought another 24 at once for the normal member price.

I think it would be worth a shot to send an email to or chat with customer service to see if you can get all your credits at once since we have that option here in the States. If anything, that'll help their business because then you're more prone to keep buying from them rather than looking somewhere else for cheaper solutions after you've run out of credits. Customer service is quite helpful. They helped me undo an automatic renewal of my 24 credits once because I couldn't quite afford the $220 hit at the time and the process was painless.
As it happens there was a customer survey they sent out the other week, in the recommendations i asked for two things, an expansion to their range of unabridged titles and the option to purchase mroe credits, 4 or 5 per month was what i suggested i think.

I'll see if anything happens there for a little bit for i can always rent from the library or buy second-hand.

For my part it is a visually impaired based motivation you see.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
Those were the last books of his I read. I finally found them when I was in San Francisco in October. It's always a sad moment when you run out of books you haven't read by a favourite author, and even more so when the possibility of him writing tons of new books has just been snatched away by his suicide. (Though there is an unfinished novel in the works.)

I should probably or probably not warn you that I found The Broom of the System relatively shallow and silly compared to the rest of his work.
Just finished The Broom of the System. While nowhere near as good as Infinite Jest it's still got some clever stuff in it, and it's a fairly impressive piece of work from a 24/25-year old.

Consider the Lobster was great though. I liked his piece about his trip to the AVN Awards. On the male cum-shot:

"Mr. Peter North, in particular, delivers what seem more like mortar rounds than bio-emissions."

And I'm also re-reading (I'm getting a tad obsessed with Foster Wallace) A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again. In particular, his account of his week spent on a luxury cruise ship. Classic stuff.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
How long would a 300 page book take to be read out in an audiobook?

I read at roughly 25 pages an hour, so that's 12 hours reading. And if I read an hour a night it'd take me close to two weeks to finish a novel of that length.

Would an audiobook knock several hours off that?

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
How long would a 300 page book take to be read out in an audiobook?

I read at roughly 25 pages an hour, so that's 12 hours reading. And if I read an hour a night it'd take me close to two weeks to finish a novel of that length.

Would an audiobook knock several hours off that?
In part it is going to depend upon the type of story and the style of the text. For example i have a World War II historical novel by Douglas Reeman called The Glory Boys, the book on my shelf is 320 pages and the audio 9hrs 20mins; on the other hand The Quiet Gentleman by Georgette Heyer [also sitting up there with 320 pages but a regency novel] is around 10hrs 10mins.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
So all considered, listening to it doesn't take significantly less time than reading it? Interesting.

I think audiobooks might be best for people who drive long distances to work. I'd rather read on the train I think.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I don't drive but if i did, i'm not sure i'd wnt my mind so much...in another place, whilst i was at the wheel. lol

Further i realise that this isn't possible for everybody but if i'm reading one i normally set aside at least a good few hours and if in the 8-12hr range may reed the whole in a day. Sit down with some food and drink, rather than be on the move.

To those in here who are fans of The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, i was wondering if you have also read The Grail Quest series by Bernard Cornwell for instance? Maybe you've read some of Elizabeth Chadwick's books?

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
So all considered, listening to it doesn't take significantly less time than reading it? Interesting.

I think audiobooks might be best for people who drive long distances to work. I'd rather read on the train I think.
Yeah train's a bit difficult because of the noise. Reading with noise is one thing. At least your text doesn't get distorted by the noise like a spoken word would.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I thought 'It' was an appalling semi-pornographic effort.
I got to the ending and it was indeed awful, like most King's books but taken way too far in the nonsense. Ruined what could've been an extremely good book in my view.

I got Under The Dome now, got past 160 pages and it's been very good so far. Hopes he doesn't screw it up at the end now (he kind of did that with Christine too).

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Finished The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy. Apparently a Streisand movie was made from it where the main plot was gutted to magnify Streisand's role since she was directing it, so if you've seen that one and shied away from the book because of it, give the book a shot because it's much better. The way the book is written and arranged, the way the plot unravels piece by piece during flashbacks is a thing of beauty. One of the best books I've ever read.

Lester Freamon

Aka Caveman
I've tried audiobooks and I can safely say that it isn't for everyone. While I can dive into a written text and the rest of the world disappear I can't focus enough to get into the story if I'm listening. On my travels during the Easter I read through the Millennium trilogy by Stieg Larsson, a very good read, exciting and engaging.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
Bill Clinton- My Life

Jon Stewart said it best:

"I have to confess, I did not finish the entire book; I'm on ... page twelve thousand."

A really, really thick fecking book that's heavy in pain-staking details and rather light in personal commentary. He glosses over the various affairs he had in the 70s and 80s long before the Lewinksy scandal, only acknowledging them in one single line in the middle of the book. It wasn't too far removed from 'btw, i shagged a few birds while i was governor lol'.

Similarly, he barely goes into any sort of depth or detail about his emotional state following the Lewinsky scandal, simply making the odd comment about how he felt ashamed in between discussing the details of the court case.

The whole book's a bit like that, rather shallow, rattling off a list of events with very little internalising about what motivated him or the variables he had to consider. IMO an autobiography should be the opposite, and he'd have done well to omit a lot of the pointless running lists of the thousands of programs and bits of legislation he signed off on, and instead focused on the major events of his presidency and discussed them in depth.

A further problem is that the whole thing's a bit of a vehicle for self-promotion, and I'd have appreciated a bit more of a two-sided perspective on the major legislation he passed, with a bit more acknowledgement of the inevitable down-sides to some of his more successful measures. But I suppose that was inevitable given that it's a President's autobiography.

Nevertheless, ridiculously long and bit dry though it may be, it's still a comprehensive first-hand record of a decade of American history and there's some genuinely fascinating stuff about the 92 election campaign, his responses to the Balkans crisis and the stuff that happened behind the scenes between the Yanks, Israelis and Palestinians at Wye River and Camp David.

My suggestion would be to simply ignore the stuff about his upbringing and his stint as the Governor of Arkansas, and skip straight to page 350.

SCM

Ok finally onto BK12 of the Wheel of Time series and even though it hasn't been written by Jordan still feels his story coming through in the words on the page, the way it has been written.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
If any of you ever feel like a graphic novel, I would strongly suggest Maus.

Red Norse

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts - the best I've read for years. I knew nothing about the writer when I started, I advice anybody interested to skip the foreword, you'll know what I mean if you read it.

I can't begin to describe it, suffice to say it made living in the slum in Bombay seem attractive in some way :nervous:

Lester Freamon

Aka Caveman
Although, as I said, audiobooks are not for me your post inspired me to finally read The Count of Monte Cristo. It's not a feelgood story, is it? I found myself borderline depressed through parts of it. As you say, parts of the book are a bit slow, and the dialogue is certainly dated but when the book is from the 1840's it helps to create the right atmosphere. Most books I read span over a very short period of time so it was a nice change to read a story that covers decades.

It's long ~1250 pages + ~100 pages of footnotes and not a page turner since the story for the most part snails along so it might seem daunting but it's well worth it. I've found myself thinking about the book several times since I finished it, something that is unusual for me. A compelling read and a truly remarkable story.

mehro

Ass face
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts - the best I've read for years. I knew nothing about the writer when I started, I advice anybody interested to skip the foreword, you'll know what I mean if you read it.

I can't begin to describe it, suffice to say it made living in the slum in Bombay seem attractive in some way :nervous:
You know that it's almost entirely fiction, right?

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
Although, as I said, audiobooks are not for me your post inspired me to finally read The Count of Monte Cristo. It's not a feelgood story, is it? I found myself borderline depressed through parts of it. As you say, parts of the book are a bit slow, and the dialogue is certainly dated but when the book is from the 1840's it helps to create the right atmosphere. Most books I read span over a very short period of time so it was a nice change to read a story that covers decades.

It's long ~1250 pages + ~100 pages of footnotes and not a page turner since the story for the most part snails along so it might seem daunting but it's well worth it. I've found myself thinking about the book several times since I finished it, something that is unusual for me. A compelling read and a truly remarkable story.
Awesome. I applaud you for actually finding the time to do that. Did you start at the beginning of March when I made that post?

Red Norse

You know that it's almost entirely fiction, right?
Hm, that really is surprising.

Most of the content in the book struck me as credible and real, even the parts that sounded too fantastic to be true. Like the hugging bear for instance, thought that was too incredible to be made up :nervous:

Must say I'm a bit disappointed if it's mostly fiction, but it's still the most enjoyable read I've had for years.

Edit: Just googled it, seems it's inspired by his real experiences, I can live with that :)

MJD72

Anyone read 'By Way of Deception' by Victor Ostrovsky?. I just picked it up for a pittance off Amazon (often buy these cheap books in bulk). It's meant to be an "explosive book the Israelis tried to ban" about the ins and outs of MOSAD. Sounds very interesting. Just wondered if anyone had read it and if it is as "explosive" as is made out.