Books The BOOK thread

SCM

Finished Book 12 of The Wheel of Time then next night read Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett in one go over about 5 hours, very good read with being a football supporter. Lots of jokes that hit the spot about football.

Lester Freamon

Aka Caveman
I don't read as much as I want to but I started reading early and read fairly "mature" books at an early age but I think mostly it's something you do or you don't. Reading fast, that is.

After reading The Count of Monte Cristo I want to read a few more classic books. I haven't read any Dickens for instance, any booktards that can recommend something by him?

SCM

I don't read as much as I want to but I started reading early and read fairly "mature" books at an early age but I think mostly it's something you do or you don't. Reading fast, that is.

After reading The Count of Monte Cristo I want to read a few more classic books. I haven't read any Dickens for instance, any booktards that can recommend something by him?
Like me started reading adult books at around 10 and developed a fast reading technique as well. As to Dickens novels here are some i would recommend after reading them

David Copperfield
Bleak House
Tale of Two Cities
Great Expectations
Oliver Twist
A Christmas Carol

This Dickins Biography lists his other work as well if you want more to look into.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
I've found that on average I read 25 pages an hour with variations according to page size, font and subject matter. When I'm reading philosophy it's probably closer to 15 an hour, whereas I can probably do 30 an hour if it's an autobiography. That means it takes me 12 hours of reading to read a 300 page book, which would usually be spread out over 4-5 days. I really don't know how some people manage to get through 2-3 books a week.

I used to think I was a reasonably fast reader, but now I'm not so sure.

Lester Freamon

Aka Caveman
Like me started reading adult books at around 10 and developed a fast reading technique as well. As to Dickens novels here are some i would recommend after reading them

David Copperfield
Bleak House
Tale of Two Cities
Great Expectations
Oliver Twist
A Christmas Carol

This Dickins Biography lists his other work as well if you want more to look into.
Yeah thanks for that, may just start with his most known (for me at least) work such as Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield and Tale of Two Cities. Thankfully one of the few things there are no tax on importing to Norway is books so I can order them cheaply from Play.com.

I've found that on average I read 25 pages an hour (with variations according to page size, font and subject matter obviously). That means it takes me 12 hours of reading to read a 300 page book, which would usually be spread out over 4-5 days. I really don't know how some people manage to get through 2-3 books a week.

I used to think I was a reasonably fast reader, but now I'm not so sure.
If I read a Norwegian "easy" book like a crime novel, I think I come pretty close to 100 pages an hour. Reading English goes a tad slower but I've become pretty accustomed to it lately so probably 50-70 pages an hour depending on the book. I really emerge myself when I read books so I can cover a lot of pages as long as I have the time.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
That's stupidly quick.

Doing research for Uni must have been a piece of piss for you.

Lester Freamon

Aka Caveman
Totally different reading fiction vs. reading school books. At least for me. It's a lot harder to concentrate when there's no story to speak of. I wish I could plow through school books like I do novels.

mehro

Ass face
For me speed depends on what I'm reading. If I'm reading dostoevsky I'll reread lines often, sometimes because they are just so awesome, other times they need a second reading to be fully understood. If I'm reading a modern author I usually race through.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
If I read a Norwegian "easy" book like a crime novel, I think I come pretty close to 100 pages an hour. Reading English goes a tad slower but I've become pretty accustomed to it lately so probably 50-70 pages an hour depending on the book. I really emerge myself when I read books so I can cover a lot of pages as long as I have the time.
Yeah about 100 pages/hour (for an average paperback page size) is about what I averaged when I used to read regularly. Much slower though if it's for school. I'm probably stuck in the 25-30 page range now.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
Well this has been an eye-opener. I need to greatly increase my reading speed.

SCM

Got a bit lost as to what to read next didn't feel in the mood to tackle some Iain M Banks Culture books i have to read so went back to have a re-read of The Word and the Void Trilogy by Terry Brooks. Only read it once so probably a lot i missed reading through so should keep me occupied for a little while.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell

It is out in hardback next Thursday, so obviously i haven't read it myself but i found an interview with the author on the radio just now so intriguing that i felt the need to put it out there for the rest of you to consider.

An ambitious novel set in 1799 shogun-era Japan. A young Dutch pastor's son finds himself caught in up in drama's of love, power, corruption and a fierce battle to defend the island of Dejima from the British invaders.

jveezy

Fo' shizzle
The Girl who Played with Fire by Steig Larsson. If you liked The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, this one is better. But do read the first one first if you haven't done so already.

Red Norse

Finished Book 12 of The Wheel of Time then next night read Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett in one go over about 5 hours, very good read with being a football supporter. Lots of jokes that hit the spot about football.
Didin't know Jordan got that far, got tired of waiteing at some point (no. 9?). Does all the women still have big bosoms? If so I might consider taking it up again.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
I was given Unseen Academicals for my birthday - so it's worth reading then?

I generally love Discworld, but have found some of them hard to get into.

(A trailer just came on Sky for Going Postal).

Red Norse

I was given Unseen Academicals for my birthday - so it's worth reading then?

I generally love Discworld, but have found some of them hard to get into.

(A trailer just came on Sky for Going Postal).
Do you mean the Wheel of Time in general?

Москва2008

Under investigation...no more points for now
I read Nick Hornby's excellent Fever Pitch the other day. The chapter concerning the 1979 FA cup final (which coincided with a conservative election victory) had a certain poignancy . .

In May 1979 the potential for trade-offs was extensive and complicated. On the Thursday before the Cup Final, Mrs Thatcher was attempting to win her first General Election; on the Thursday after, my finals began... Yet the terrible truth is that I was willing to accept a Conservative government if it guaranteed an Arsenal Cup Final win; I could hardly have been expected to anticipate that Mrs Thatcher would go on to become the longest serving Prime Minister this century. (Would I have made the same bargain if I had known? Eleven years of Thatcherism for the FA Cup? Of course not. I wouldn’t have settled for anything less than another Double.)

Dyslexic Untied

I'm working with exams at the moment so I haven't had the chance to read much lately.

Summer is starting soon though so I hope to start reading more of the Aubrey/Maturin series. Read the first five or six, and I really like them.

Quite simple historical novels really, about the Napoleon wars following British Naval commander Jack Aubrey on his journeys. Fun books though, boys books basically.

Re reading speed I probably do 15 or so pages an hour when reading for Uni and 30-40 when reading fiction. If I read before I go to bed, it will be even slower.

SCM

Red Norse Jordan before he died left behind enough notes to finish the Wheel of Time series off, he actually left so many notes that the last planned book has been split into 3. Book 12 is the first of the 3 books written by Brandon Sanderson off the notes etc that Jordan left behind. He did a great job of converting Jordans notes into Book 12 with such ease it still reads like Jordans work.

Livvie Unseen Academicals is well worth the read especially with the Football theme running through it. Some Discworld books can be hard to get into but some of that is the characters or story but i find them ok once i get far enough in. His next book is another in the Wee Free Men series coming out in September.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Being the unemployed, heavily indebted student that I am I find I now have to think long and hard whenever I decide to shell out on a new book. Unfortunately I also can't go more than about a week without reading something new, or I get grouchy (like you lot, I tend to go through a 600-700 page book in about 2-3 days). So after a lot of deliberation I have just picked up two new fantasy novels- Acacia, and The Name of the Wind.

Now I've only read The Name of the Wind, and barely even approached the middle of the book, so it's probably a bit premature to be writing a review. So I won't. What I will say is this: for any fantasy lovers out there- read it. I suspect there are a few of you who, like me, are having sweats and shakes waiting for the next instalment of A Song of Ice and Fire, and so are looking for something to pass the time- The Name of the Wind is definitely worth considering. It's on an epic scale, beautifully written and richly constructed.

Up there with one of the best debut fantasy novels I have ever read. If Acacia is half as good, I'm going to consider it money well spent.

redspoony

So, can someone recommend a good sci-fi set of books to get into?

Not really read much sci-fi to be honest.

Something nice and accessible would be good.

Cheers muchly.

hungrywing

If it is anything like my Library the Sci-fi and Fantasy section is likely a dust trap, as they do not seem keen to keep this section up to date in any of the libraries i have been to.
Now that's just upsetting. Try what Nick is describing. I don't know how your library system works but often they'll have some sort of request program (you request, they order) if not a sharing program in which you can get books from another library in the same district. The more people request, the more they get to budget beg the next time around. (If they keep track, that is)

I've started using mine a fair bit more as of late. And you can have a copy shipped in from elsewhere in about a week if you reserve [reservations cost 30p] it online for instance.

MJLD

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell

It is out in hardback next Thursday, so obviously i haven't read it myself but i found an interview with the author on the radio just now so intriguing that i felt the need to put it out there for the rest of you to consider.
This has got some good reviews.

I'm so bogged down in college work I haven't been able to enjoy reading like I used to. I haven't finished a book in months, which is quite depressing really. Struggle to get interested in them. Annoying.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Being the unemployed, heavily indebted student that I am I find I now have to think long and hard whenever I decide to shell out on a new book. Unfortunately I also can't go more than about a week without reading something new, or I get grouchy (like you lot, I tend to go through a 600-700 page book in about 2-3 days). So after a lot of deliberation I have just picked up two new fantasy novels- Acacia, and The Name of the Wind.

Now I've only read The Name of the Wind, and barely even approached the middle of the book, so it's probably a bit premature to be writing a review. So I won't. What I will say is this: for any fantasy lovers out there- read it. I suspect there are a few of you who, like me, are having sweats and shakes waiting for the next instalment of A Song of Ice and Fire, and so are looking for something to pass the time- The Name of the Wind is definitely worth considering. It's on an epic scale, beautifully written and richly constructed.

Up there with one of the best debut fantasy novels I have ever read. If Acacia is half as good, I'm going to consider it money well spent.
The fat man better finish soon! I've been reading the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. They're all pretty good.

I'd recommend Glen Cook's Black Company if you're looking for something kinda dark. I'm not sure how available it is though.

I might have to pick up the Name of the Wind. I've heard good things about it.

SCM

So, can someone recommend a good sci-fi set of books to get into?

Not really read much sci-fi to be honest.

Something nice and accessible would be good.

Cheers muchly.
Alastair Reynolds books are a good read and look for Revelation Space, Absolution Gap and Redemption Ark if you want a series from him, other books from him are Chasm City, The Prefect, Century Rain and Galactic North set mainly in the same universe but stand alone books that explain some more of the series of 3 books i first listed. He has a few more but haven't read his last 2 yet and his Diamond Dogs Turquoise days book is 2 short stories again set in the same universe.

Now that's just upsetting. Try what Nick is describing. I don't know how your library system works but often they'll have some sort of request program (you request, they order) if not a sharing program in which you can get books from another library in the same district. The more people request, the more they get to budget beg the next time around. (If they keep track, that is)
Problem is I have all the books bought I want to read so waiting on the next in the various series to be brought out, which so far are the next books from Pratchett, Jordan/Sanderson and Terry Brooks. Also girlfriend has boxes of books I will raid shortly for new fantasy series to read, as i am picky over books and tend to read or borrow books from friends first.