Books The BOOK thread

MG

Just finished 'Middlemarch' by the fantastic George Eliot.

Amazing read, I think she could be my favourite English writer of the 19th century.

And that's high praise.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Just finished 'Middlemarch' by the fantastic George Eliot.

Amazing read, I think she could be my favourite English writer of the 19th century.

And that's high praise.
I read Silas Marner at school and thought it was dire. Turned me right off Eliot. I may give her a second try though.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Middlemarch is considered by many to be the greatest English novel. Needless to say, I haven't sampled it yet because I'm always reading rubbish stories about ghosts and Oscar Wilde.

SteveJ

Scout
Yeah mate, it's a great series, I think. Makes me want to buy a load of King books...even the ones I've read before! :)

MG

Middlemarch is considered by many to be the greatest English novel. Needless to say, I haven't sampled it yet because I'm always reading rubbish stories about ghosts and Oscar Wilde.
Hey, nothing wrong with a bit of Wilde!

But yeah, I'd agree with it being the best English novel. It's simply outstanding.

SteveJ

Scout
I often feel like just dipping into The Stand. :D Shorts like Apt Pupil, though...I'm not sure I'd read again; some of King's writing stays with you. Kinda proves he's a better writer than many give him credit for.

SteveJ

Scout
MG said:
Hey, nothing wrong with a bit of Wilde!
He's my hero - killingly funny sometimes, serious and thought-provoking at others. A man of boundless imagination. :)

MG said:
But yeah, I'd agree with it being the best English novel. It's simply outstanding.
*thinks* I wonder if the bookshop will let me exchange Peter Ackroyd's utterly drab Tudors: A History of England Volume II for Middlemarch? :D

MG

He's my hero - killingly funny sometimes, serious and thought-provoking at others. A man of boundless imagination. :)

*thinks* I wonder if the bookshop will let me exchange Peter Ackroyd's utterly drab Tudors: A History of England Volume II for Middlemarch? :D
I'd agree with your assessment of Wilde. Great writer. Lord Henry is meant to speak for him in the Picture of Dorian Gray... a dandy, witty and clever. I did a topic on the fin de siècle last year at Uni and that was one of my favourite books we did.

I've never brought any of Ackroyd's stuff. My favourite historical non-fiction writer is Alison Weir. I love her 'Elizabeth - the Queen' book about Elizabeth I (by far the most interesting monarch imo), and I want to read more of her stuff.

I'm much more of a fiction fan though.

SteveJ

Scout
Weir's The Lady in the Tower is absolutely wonderful, mate. Henry VIII: King and Court is very thorough, a little prosaic but interesting enough. The Princes in the Tower is really good, but terribly biased against Richard III (there seems to be tremendous in-fighting amongst historians and passionate amateurs regarding the alleged murders...).

EDIT: I feel you're right about Elizabeth. It seems to me that virtually everything she said was impressive, and she outshone and outthought all those male chancers in her Council time and again.

MG

Weir's The Lady in the Tower is absolutely wonderful, mate. Henry VIII: King and Court is very thorough, a little prosaic but interesting enough. The Princes in the Tower is really good, but terribly biased against Richard III (there seems to be tremendous in-fighting amongst historians and passionate amateurs regarding the alleged murders...).
Do you read historical fiction? I realise it's considered a bit 'girly' but some of them around the Tudor period are really good.

SteveJ

Scout
Hilary Mantel's my favourite modern author, although the Hist. Fic. I tend to read is mostly based in the Victorian age; for example, Sarah Waters' Affinity nearly broke my heart.

Duafc

Village Lemon
I'd agree with your assessment of Wilde. Great writer. Lord Henry is meant to speak for him in the Picture of Dorian Gray... a dandy, witty and clever. I did a topic on the fin de siècle last year at Uni and that was one of my favourite books we did.

I've never brought any of Ackroyd's stuff. My favourite historical non-fiction writer is Alison Weir. I love her 'Elizabeth - the Queen' book about Elizabeth I (by far the most interesting monarch imo), and I want to read more of her stuff.

I'm much more of a fiction fan though.
Dorian Gray is one of my favourite books, read it while I was quite young and it left a great impression. As you say Lord Henry if the voice of Wilde and some of his speeches are just brilliant.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
:lol: She's not everyone's cup of tea, but Middlemarch is amazing.
I'll give it a go and see what I think. I'm not sure why but some of the imagery and characters in Silas just didn't get my attention and struck me as ridiculous. Could be because I was 14 and really not into reading at the time.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
I'm going through a John Grisham frenzy, read 6 of his novels in the last 6 weeks. I think he is a great storyteller even though all of his books centre around the legal profession. The Brethren is my favourite so far, full of very witty satire and thrilling at the same time. Right now I'm reading one called The Testament and can't get enough of it.

Read Cormac McCarthy's The Road prior to my Grisham frenzy, fantastic novel and then No Country For Old Men. Will revert back to McCarthy when my Grisham obsession wanes.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Reading Inferno by Max Hastings right now. Not a bad read. A single volume history of WW2. So nothing in deep detail. He does include a lot of quotes out of diaries,letters, etc of people involved and not the big names, but just the average soldier,the civilians living in the various nations involved.

I was happy to see at one point he did something many historians will not, and that was admit that he was looking at things from a perspective not available to those who were involved at the time. Too often when I read historic books the writer forgets that what everyone knows now was not what the people involved then knew.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach is absolutely brilliant. Can't lie, other than GRRM, which might be parcial nerdism in me, it's one of the best modern books I've read. Theres Baseball terminology in there, but you don't need to like the sport to appreciated this book, kind of like with Field of Dreams.
Just finished this one and have to agree. On the surface it's about baseball, but really it's a love story. Cracking book that I flew through in 4 days (it's over 400 pages).

Bear Attack

Read Cormac McCarthy's The Road prior to my Grisham frenzy, fantastic novel and then No Country For Old Men. Will revert back to McCarthy when my Grisham obsession wanes.
Try Blood Meridian. McCarthy's best work IMO.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Try Blood Meridian. McCarthy's best work IMO.

Will get a copy, thanks. Have a copy of All the Pretty Horses so will give that a go first.

Reading a great novel right now called, Snow Falling On Cedars by David Gutterson.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
A long shot, but does anybody have a recommendation for a biography of Harold Wilson or a book examining his time in government?

forevrared

Will get a copy, thanks. Have a copy of All the Pretty Horses so will give that a go first.

Reading a great novel right now called, Snow Falling On Cedars by David Gutterson.
Don't expect the same type of easy read that you get with No Country for Old Men and The Road, though. Definitely the type that you'll go back and re-read paragraphs, pages and chapters quite frequently to make sure you haven't missed something.

I just got around to finishing 'The Cold Six Thousand' by James Ellroy. It's not 'American Tabloid' obviously, but I liked it a lot more than I thought I would after reading some of the reviews. The infamous style in which it was written was a lot more brash and apparent at the beginning, but as the book wore on and was broken up with the transcripts and inserts between chapters it seemed less noticeable. A solid 8/10.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Blood's A Rover is even more jarring but a fantastic read. Ellroy really captures all the shit that was going down back then.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Finished all the books so far written of A Song Of Ice and Fire. I found myself struggling near the end. I read them nearly all in a row so I was suffering a bit at the end. Great story though.

forevrared

Blood's A Rover is even more jarring but a fantastic read. Ellroy really captures all the shit that was going down back then.
Finishing up a book I started before The Cold Six Thousand before I start Blood's A Rover, but
I'm going to miss Ward Littell. Thought he was a brilliant character.
Excited nonetheless.

Keenst

Just finished Patrick De Witt's The Sisters Brothers. Excellent novel, I think the appraisal on the cover from the Irish times sums it up well "So good, so funny and so sad."

Have my eye on A Single Shot by Matthew F. Jones next. Film adaptation starring Sam Rockwell is being released soon.

forevrared

The Sisters Brothers was great. Can't wait for the movie adaptation -- I think it lends itself perfectly to a screenplay.

Keenst

The Sisters Brothers was great. Can't wait for the movie adaptation -- I think it lends itself perfectly to a screenplay.
Yeah I was thinking about who could play the characters in a film as I got more into it. Would love if the Coen Brothers gave it a shot.

forevrared

Yeah I was thinking about who could play the characters in a film as I got more into it. Would love if the Coen Brothers gave it a shot.
I think John C. Reilly bought the rights and intends to take the leading role himself.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Gardens of the Moon - Steven Eriksen (Malazan Bk. 1) - Brilliant read. Started a month back, and now nearing the end of the series (Dust of Dreams), but the 1st book is the best. The wholse series is very good. Immensely big and rambling with multiples storylines/plots and not even in chronological order... it is very confusing. Just read through and dont attempt to understand the link and nearing the lcimax, they will jell together.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I gave away all my old paperbacks when I was back last year. I'm beginning to regret that now.
If you have an e-reader, I can e-mail you over a file containing most of Kings books? Obviously it will disgust you and you will want to delete it straight away.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Just finished One Shot by Lee Child. Enjoyed the pace and story. Not fantastic but good to lose yourself in for a bit.