Books The BOOK thread

gormless

They're good. Preposterous, but good.

Don't bother with book 5, Echo Burning, though, it's dreadful.
Echo Burning was pretty good in my opinion. Better than Persuader anyway. Love the series though. The Hard Way was excellent, I usually try and figure it out as I'm going along, but I just didn't manage to figure it out in that one

M'n'M

"Keane will be awesome alongside Torres."
Ah bugger, it's Echo Burning next up for me. Really enjoying The Visitor.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
I'm currently reading On the Road by Jack Kerouac. Has anyone here read it? It's boring the hell out of me right now, but I paid $13 for it so I've got to finish it...

My buddy picked this book, whereas I picked up Steinbeck's "Travels With Charley". He thought pretty poorly of OTR; Travels with Charley is one of the better things I've ever read.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. I think it'd be tough to find a book that's so profound yet written in such simple language. A very easy read but extremely thought provoking.

Are you reading it in German or English? I read it in Nepali and English and I found a few significant differences between the translations. Both versions were fascinating; if I ever learn a new language, I'll pick this book up again.

forevrared

Onto 'Blood's a Rover' to finish off the Underworld Trilogy by James Ellroy now.

In between finishing 'The Cold Six Thousand' and starting this one, I read 'Apocalypse Z' by Manel Loureiro. Pretty fun zombie book, a bit different than others I've read.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
Echo Burning was pretty good in my opinion. Better than Persuader anyway. Love the series though. The Hard Way was excellent, I usually try and figure it out as I'm going along, but I just didn't manage to figure it out in that one
Just started this one.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
My buddy picked this book, whereas I picked up Steinbeck's "Travels With Charley". He thought pretty poorly of OTR; Travels with Charley is one of the better things I've ever read.
I sincerely hate the characters. Dean Moriarty is an obnoxious blowhard, petty criminal, and generally useless person. It's frustrating trying to get through it. I normally read on my lunch break at work but can't bring myself to right now because I don't want to read it. But if I stop, I'll never finish it and have wasted $13. :mad:

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I read the first Reacher book.. was a decent, easy read.. nothing special but that wasn't what I was after.

I don't feel the need to start the second straight away, I've decided to wait for the next time I need as easy 'pick up' book.

So, for that reason, I decided to start on American Gods.

I've got a friend who raves about Neil Gaiman so thought I'd look into his stuff and decided to start with this. Haven't got very far..

Shadow is currently at the airport after hearing that his wife has past away.

However, so far his writing seems suited to my style. It's quite easy to read, there is nothing particularly special about it at the moment, he lets you fill gaps and imagine scenes for yourself without a compulsive need to tell you every single detail like other fantasy writers. Saying that, so far nothing 'fantasy' has happened - it's urban.. So I guess I have no idea on how good he really is; how he can write Fantasy/Sci-fi where I won't be able to simply 'assume' things with little help from him will be where I get to grips with him.

Interesting so far anyway.. Looking forward to continuing with it.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
The Alchemist Published: 1988 Author: Paulo Coelho. Has anyone read this I've heard good things about it. It's on my list of books to read but I've been hearing so much about it I might just push it to the top of the list.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I've read a few books by Jose Saramago over the last weeks, Blindness, The Cave, All the Names and Death with Interruptions. Thought all were brilliant except The Cave, which was still very good. Anyone read more of his work? Which ones should I read next? Not sure, if I like the books with more religious topics, anyone read Cain or The Gospel According to Jesus?

Shark

@NotShark
I've just finished reading 'The Road' having seen it recommended on here a few times. It was a wonderful read I have to say, and I'm now looking forward to checking out the movie.

forevrared

As far as McCarthy books to movies go, No Country for Old Men was a fairly faithful adaptation. The Road was okay, but some of the darkest moments that made the book what it was would keep it from being shown in theaters. I also wasn't a fan of
them making the mother all of the sudden a significant character in the movie

onesaf

Oh really? I do find that watching the movie after reading a book is always underwhelming, as books are usually so detailed.

Sure I'll give it a shot anyway.
You may enjoy it, I actually watched the movie before I had read the book so wasn't in a position to compare them at that stage. Generally I can't think of too many movies that were better than the books they were based on, the only one that comes to mind at the minute is Marathon Man with Dustin Hoffman, I enjoyed that more than the book.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
As far as McCarthy books to movies go, No Country for Old Men was a fairly faithful adaptation. The Road was okay, but some of the darkest moments that made the book what it was would keep it from being shown in theaters. I also wasn't a fan of
them making the mother all of the sudden a significant character in the movie
The worst movie based on one of his books was "All the pretty horses". Totally ruined the idea of the book and is just awful.

onesaf

Read Stephen Kings Joyland last night in about 4 hours, very readable with a likeable protagonist in 'Devin Jones' who is spending the summer of 1973 working in an amusement park, it has been described as a 'whodunit' though I had worked out who it was long before the reveal, there is a feel good factor to the story so if you are looking for a quick enjoyable yarn try this one.

JohnLocke

Just finished The Passage by Justin Cronin. Took me an age to get through it as it's pretty long. I thought it was pretty good and am looking forward to the second book, The Twelve.

I didn't know it was a trilogy before I started, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Not the best book I've ever read or anything, but certainly a lot better than that Jack Reacher lad; I had Killing Floor mostly sussed out after about 50 pages, but I suppose it was okay for a quick read regardless.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Any of you Patrick Rothfuss fans read Blood Song by Anthony Ryan?

It's a more epic tale than Name of the Wind, but told in a similar format, a Hero/Villian recounting his story - but he lies and lets you in on the secret.

I believe he originally self-published on Amazon, and apparently there are a few grammar errors, but has since been picked up by a Publisher. I've read the sample on the Amazon Kindle app, and have just purchased the full version.

It's currently at 4.9/5 on http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ravens-Shadow-Book-One-ebook/dp/B0070NSPCU (only 83 reviews). However, on Goodreads there is over 2,700 ratings and he's averaging 4.6 - which technically beats the likes of Harry Potter, Kingkiller, Mistborn, SOIAF (although, they have hundreds of thousands of ratings).

I'll give an update when I've read further, but wondered if anybody here had tried it?

onesaf

Any of you Patrick Rothfuss fans read Blood Song by Anthony Ryan?

It's a more epic tale than Name of the Wind, but told in a similar format, a Hero/Villian recounting his story - but he lies and lets you in on the secret.

I believe he originally self-published on Amazon, and apparently there are a few grammar errors, but has since been picked up by a Publisher. I've read the sample on the Amazon Kindle app, and have just purchased the full version.

It's currently at 4.9/5 on http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ravens-Shadow-Book-One-ebook/dp/B0070NSPCU (only 83 reviews). However, on Goodreads there is over 2,700 ratings and he's averaging 4.6 - which technically beats the likes of Harry Potter, Kingkiller, Mistborn, SOIAF (although, they have hundreds of thousands of ratings).

I'll give an update when I've read further, but wondered if anybody here had tried it?
Have just stuck it on my to read list, looks interesting.

Nearco

youth team player
I'm on novel 4 of the Malazan book of the Fallen by Steve Erikson. It's awesome.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I was just looking at a free sample on Amazon of the new Harry Redknapp bio Harry's Games. Gawd almighty...the author writes stuff like "Redknapp is a man whom other men - myself included at times - are not ashamed to love" & "Over the years, he's acquired the status of a national treasure" etc etc. By-and-large, the football press in this country are just awful.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harrys-Game...&qid=1371642912&sr=1-1&keywords=Harry's+Games

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Just starting 'The Shiva Trilogy' by Amish. It's the hottest fantasy seller in India right now. Starting othe first book, The Immortals of Mehlua.....quite ambivalent, hope its good!
Just finished this. Worth the read. Recommended. If you are versedin hindu mythology, some fictionalized events may be familiar...but it is not mandatory. Good read for any and all!

I'm on novel 4 of the Malazan book of the Fallen by Steve Erikson. It's awesome.
Amazing series but a difficult one too. Just make sure you get the order right for the rest of the series. For example, Esselmont's NoK should be read in between and things like that!

Count Orduck

Good man.

I stopped partway through the series for no good reason at all (after House of Chains), and am determined to pick it back up again. I absolutely loved it, much better than WoT or a SoIaF for me.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Does anyone have an opinion on Martin Amis?

I've never actually read any of his books, for some inexplicable reason. About to order a copy of Money: A Suicide Note.