Books The BOOK thread

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
There are often book threads starting, so I thought I'd make a sticky one.

I'm going to the library to look for some Kelley Armstrong books - they've been recommended. No idea what they're like.

I'm not a great one for biographical books, but I'm reading Mustn't Grumble, by Terry Wogan - appropriate as today is Eurovision Song Contest day.

It's one of the funniest reads I've ever had - laugh out loud funny.

Salvation

Damnation
There are often book threads starting, so I thought I'd make a sticky one.

I'm going to the library to look for some Kelley Armstrong books - they've been recommended. No idea what they're like.

I'm not a great one for biographical books, but I'm reading Mustn't Grumble, by Terry Wogan - appropriate as today is Eurovision Song Contest day.

It's one of the funniest reads I've ever had - laugh out loud funny.
Going to head to the book store myself today

Will be one of Martian Chronicles/Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury or The Shipping News by Annie Proulx

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
I like Dean Koontz.

The first one I ever read was Lightning - really good. My favourite is Strangers

I used to like Leigh Nicholls, and thought how similar "she" was to Dean Koontz. (I assumed it was a she). Then I found out that it actually was Dean Koontz, and I think all the books have now been published under the DK name.

McCool

Winner of the 'Real Caftards Fantasy Football Leag
I've almost finished Tryptich, by Karin Slaughter.

Though frankly I might not bother with the last few chapters.

Meh.

topper

Clown
I like Dean Koontz.

The first one I ever read was Lightning - really good. My favourite is Strangers

I used to like Leigh Nicholls, and thought how similar "she" was to Dean Koontz. (I assumed it was a she). Then I found out that it actually was Dean Koontz, and I think all the books have now been published under the DK name.
you're rght Livvie from Wikipedia

Koontz grew up in desperate poverty under the tyranny of a violent alcoholic father. Despite his traumatic childhood, Koontz put himself through Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania (then known as Shippensburg State College). While in college Koontz converted to the Catholic faith. In November 1967 went to work as an English teacher at Mechanicsburg High School. In his spare time he wrote his first novel, Star Quest, which was published in 1968. From there he went on to write over a dozen more science fiction novels.

In the 1970s, Koontz began publishing mainstream suspense and horror fiction, under his own name as well as several pseudonyms. Koontz has stated that he began using pen names after several editors convinced him that authors who switched back and forth between different genres invariably fell victim to negative crossover (alienating established fans and simultaneously failing to pick up any new ones). Known pseudonyms used by Koontz during his career include Deanna Dwyer, K. R. Dwyer, Aaron Wolfe, David Axton, Brian Coffey, John Hill, Leigh Nichols, Owen West, Richard Paige, Leonard Chris, and Anthony North. As of 2006, many of Koontz's pseudonymous novels are now available under his real name.

Koontz's acknowledged breakthrough novel was Whispers, published in 1980. Since then, ten hardcovers and thirteen paperbacks written by Koontz have reached #1 on the New York Times Bestseller List.

My favourite fiction writer - I have most of his books and read and reread them over and over

Fred the bin dipper

Don't blame me mate, it's everyone else's fault.
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini is a cracking book. just finished it, and its the best book i've read ina a while.

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
read a Dean Koontz novel once...about a bloke who kept having fugues then turned out to have a doppelganger or something.

rubbish it was.

ciderman9000000

Right now i'm reading 'Spot's Helpful Day', it's quite good and far better than the clichéd 'Spot's Noisy Walk' which i thought used far too many gimmicky story arcs and never quite emulated the thrill and mystery of 'Where's Spot'. In 'Spot's Helpful Day' you really get to see more of the darker side of Spot and you also get some interesting insights into what motivates him on a personal level. Spot comes accross somewhat morose at times in what is often a tale of unbridled hatred directed towards those that sought to persecute him in 'Spots Noisy Toybox', for example; on the first page we find spot plotting to murder the creator of the toybox that was so intollerably noisy in the previous book, some of the imagery cunjoured up can at once be both sickening and beautiful. The climax of the story on page eight is simply unputdownable, i wont go into details but lets just say i am eagerly awaiting the next installment with baited breath!

10/10

narnar

Needs Help
:lol: Spot the dog I take it cider?

What type of books are you into? I think you like your sci-fi, do you know any good LOTR-esque books?

RedCanadian

RatCat freak
"In the offseason, my mustache drives the Fir
Currently reading the third installment of Robert Ludlum's "Covert-One" series called The Paris Option. The others are The Hades Factor, The Cassandra Compact, The Altman Code, ,The Lazarus Vendetta and The Moscow Vector.

The books are medical/military thrillers revolving around a covert agent and his team. Very good read if you like the genre.

ILBB15

Annoying Commie
The day of the jackal, written by Frederick Forsyth.

One of my favourite books.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
read a Dean Koontz novel once...about a bloke who kept having fugues then turned out to have a doppelganger or something.

rubbish it was.
I read a few Koontz novels. All utter rubbish. Poor high school English and about as scary as playschool. He makes Stephen King (who I like) seem like the poet laureate.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Elements are based on a real assassination attempt on De Gaul but I think that for many years Forsyth played on that hinting that the whole thing was real.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
big fan of travel logs, so anything by Bill Bryson, Pete McCarthy, Tim Moore, Peter Moore

story wise, ive always been a big fan of Andy McNabb and Chris Ryan's work

topper

Clown
Terry Pratchett is good also like the Hornblower series of books - ones I don't like are Dan Brown and Stephen King who are crap IMO

GiggsysGirl

Toxic Frogger
doesn't surprise me GG

you reading does :angel:
yeah, you'd be surprised at how easy it is to get a BA in English Literature without reading a single book.

I read a few Koontz novels. All utter rubbish. Poor high school English and about as scary as playschool. He makes Stephen King (who I like) seem like the poet laureate.
i used to love Stephen King as a teen...i remember Misery the book scaring me a heck of a lot more than the movie ever did.

also used to read anything by Peter Benchley. thrillers set on the ocean...perfect!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
King is a brilliant natural writer. Although I wish he would write more stuff like Misery and less like that rubbish Dreamcatcher one. His ending are also often rubbish because he lets the plot go where it will.

Kristjan

Retired Dictator
Just starting Dan Simmons - Ilium

His Hyperion trilogy was good.. hopefully the same with this one, it's based in parts on the Iliad by Homer

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
:lol: Spot the dog I take it cider?

What type of books are you into? I think you like your sci-fi, do you know any good LOTR-esque books?

Lord of the Rings Schmord of the Rings. Gemmell >>>>>>>>>>>>> Tolkein

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Last book I bought was American Gods by Neil Gaiman

now that's something

The only thing I've ever read from Dean Koontz is "Life Expectancy" and hated it.
Prefer the good ol' Stephen King.

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
Reading a shedload due to the number of flights I'm taking at the moment. Currently going back through a lot of the old classics like Cuckoos Nest and Catch 22. Of the newer stuff I've read, I went through all the Gaiman novels and was impressed at how well he wove his modern fantasies, particularly American Gods and Anansi Boys. Also enjoyed a Dennis Lehane (Shutter Island) that the missus recommended, despite normally finding thrillers about as thrilling as watching City play.

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
Last book I bought was American Gods by Neil Gaiman

now that's something

The only thing I've ever read from Dean Koontz is "Life Expectancy" and hated it.
Prefer the good ol' Stephen King.
Spooky, took a phone call and then had to rattle out a couple of mails and a bollocking in mid reply only to finally post and see you've listed American Gods as well.

Definitely go for Anansi Boys if you've not read it as it is basically a continuation of Mr Nancy's story from American Gods.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Haven't read too much in a while...I tend to get stuck on a few favourites and read them over once I'm done.

Read 'Something Happened' by Heller recently.I don't think I was concentrating because I can't remember what the feck it was about!Or maybe it was just shit and my brains shit filter was activated.Planning to pick up something soon...not sure what to read though...any recommendations?

redspoony

Haven't read too much in a while...I tend to get stuck on a few favourites and read them over once I'm done.

Read 'Something Happened' by Heller recently.I don't think I was concentrating because I can't remember what the feck it was about!Or maybe it was just shit and my brains shit filter was activated.Planning to pick up something soon...not sure what to read though...any recommendations?
If you fancy a good football book, try Football Against The Enemy by Simon Kuper. Brilliant book.

EspadaYdaga

Inbred
the dark tower series by stephen king is excellent ,
and the hannibal lecter books red dragon , silence of the lambs , hannibal and hannibal rising ) by thomas harris are a good read too