The Bruno/ Cantona comparison.

TrustInOle

With all the talk about the effect Bruno has had on this young, growing team, it's only natural people would look to compare him to King Eric. Yes we had injuries that disrupted the start of our season last year, but you can see a clear difference when, not only watching us play, but looking towards the stats.

If, and I know this is a tough ask, we clinch the title this season should he be ranked up their with the King himself? Worth noting we also have the Europa League and FA Cup that we could still win.

If not, what would the accomplishment have to be? Maybe mods could add a poll?

1. Win League this year
  2. Win League and another trophy
  3. Win League and/ or cup this year and challenge again
  4. Win League and Cup this year, Challenge and Win a Trophy next year.
One thing is for sure, you can't help but love him. :drool:

ROFLUTION

Sure you can compare their impact, but you can never really compare anyone to Cantona

TrustInOle

Sure you can compare their impact, but you can never really compare anyone to Cantona
I agree but with the rest of the league still to play, his impact is worthy of a similar mantle. Cantona had the aura and personality I don't think we will see again.

freeurmind

weak willed
He's not been here long enough to be mentioned in the same category but if we do win the league this year he'll be well on his way.

clarkydaz

love the fact he had a stinker at Anfield then a week later toddles off the bench to score a free kick

diarm

Bruno could deliver impact that brings a bit part team to a league title.

Cantona brought an impact that allowed Ferguson build a dynasty.

You could are that Bruno might match Cantona's first year impact this year, but he has a long way to go before we can talk about the sort of influence the King had on players like Keane and the Class of 92.

Trophy Room

I hate these comparisons. United have been lucky over the years with special players in different eras. This is Bruno's time.

RedorDead21

Bruno could deliver impact that brings a bit part team to a league title.

Cantona brought an impact that allowed Ferguson build a dynasty.

You could are that Bruno might match Cantona's first year impact this year, but he has a long way to go before we can talk about the sort of influence the King had on players like Keane and the Class of 92.
that’s harsh and abit early to say who knows right now stats wise it must be close

TrustInOle

I hate these comparisons. United have been lucky over the years with special players in different eras. This is Bruno's time.
This is kind of what I was alluding to, but in terms of impact, they are very similar situations worth discussing on the potential of where Bruno can take us and himself.

diarm

that’s harsh and abit early to say who knows right now stats wise it must be close
Didn't mean to be harsh at all. I probably could have worded it better - what I meant was that he's probably on par in terms of on field impact but it will be years before we can speak about his total impact in relation to Cantona's.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Without Cantona none of this would be happening. We don't win the title in 92/93. We don't retain it the year after. We probably don't win it with kids in 95/96 and that generation never learns what it needs to in order to establish our dominance.

Without Cantona laying the foundations would we even be the kind of team Bruno would've signed for? People forget Aston Villa were around our level back then. Look how they have fared in the decades since. Without Cantona setting us on our way we might have drifted longer than Liverpool did. Cantona is the capstone of it all. Nobody compares.

Jam

I totally get the angle you’re going for but let’s be realistic here; Cantona is nigh on the catalyst for the last two decades of success, that’s a high bar for anyone to compare to.

Ronaldo took us to a level higher than Cantona did, but it was still on the shoulders of the King.

I love Bruno, but let’s not forget he’s been here for one year. Cantona did it for us year after year, let alone the context of that.

Bruno is miles off King Eric. But that isn’t a slight against him; it’s just Cantona set the bar that high.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think Cantona was the final piece of the puzzle. United finished 2nd three season before and he took us to 1st.

I don't think we're going to be champions I think the final piece of the puzzle still has yet to arrive but no doubt Fernandes could be our Cantona if we get that final piece.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I think Cantona was the final piece of the puzzle. United finished 2nd three season before and he took us to 1st.

I don't think we're going to be champions I think the final piece of the puzzle still has yet to arrive but no doubt Fernandes could be our Cantona if we get that final piece.
So, like need a Keane-esque signing. That extra spice to lead the charge alongside the inspirational one.

cpresc

Eric was Eric - he brought a swagger

Bruno is Bruno - he brings humility and graft.

I love both.
Not sure which will prove to be the most impactful - which is an incredible compliment to Bruno

ROFLUTION

Without Cantona none of this would be happening. We don't win the title in 92/93. We don't retain it the year after. We probably don't win it with kids in 95/96 and that generation never learns what it needs to in order to establish our dominance.

Without Cantona laying the foundations would we even be the kind of team Bruno would've signed for? People forget Aston Villa were around our level back then. Look how they have fared in the decades since. Without Cantona setting us on our way we might have drifted longer than Liverpool did. Cantona is the capstone of it all. Nobody compares.
Im not sure I would even have been a United fan was it not for what he helped build

RooneyLegend

It's ridiculous and must come to an end. He's barely half the footballer Eric was.

Zen86

He’s obviously not Cantona, but the comparisons are quite apt. He’s certainly had an impact.

Oranges038

Right now there is no comparison,it's not even close.

In 5 years, we'll see.

UpWithRivers

Will De Gea be equal to Van Der Sar and Schmeichel? Will Rashford be as good as Giggs? Maguire and Lindelof = Ferdinand and Vidic?

Wilt

Ridiculous comparison.... fact is nobody can come close to Cantona.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Well... it is true that there was only one EC. That his magical powers are incomparable. That he played in a different time, with a different team... but. As regards the impact of the soul of one mortal on a group of players, on a dressing room... I have to say that very few players since (maybe Zlatan for a while, RVP to some extent, had hints of it) have had the singular impact that Eric did. But I do understand why people are making the comparisons with the Bruno effect. Long may he prosper and well done for spotting him and bringing him here. Now there is a story I’d like to hear told.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Sorry it's a non sense comparison. I love Bruno but the sheer arrogance and charisma we had when King was on the field is something entirely different.

The only player I would compare with King was Zlatan. Shame he lasted only 1 year (his best days).

TrustInOle

Admittedly, I was rather drunk last night and probably far to elated for my own good. Weird thread indeed, no idea where I was trying to go here. :lol:

Theo Cherry

I hate threads like this.

Is the Portuguese Magnifico more like Cans?

La Pioche is more like Zizu than Vieira?

Threesus

Watching those old games, you get the sense that Cantona is one of those types who people look at and say 'I would pay to watch him play'. Bruno will wow you with his stats and ridiculous through balls, but he does not possess the flair that Cantona had. That 1.2M(I think) that we spent on him is the best million we will ever spend at this club.

Was watching the Dortmund Semi final the other day, and we missed some very good chances. Would have been lovely to send Cantona off with the UCL.

Jeffthered

Such discussion will take place, but I think Bruno is some way from reaching any such comparisons. We haven't won anything with him in the team so let's just see how the next month goes, and we are still v much 'work in progress'.

Bruno leads by example in terms of his play, but Cantona was far, far, far, far more than that..he was a presence, a leader, a champion, a celebrity, a warrior and inspiration for players around him. Bruno hasn't come across as such a personality, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Let Bruno be Bruno.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I totally get the angle you’re going for but let’s be realistic here; Cantona is nigh on the catalyst for the last two decades of success, that’s a high bar for anyone to compare to.

Ronaldo took us to a level higher than Cantona did, but it was still on the shoulders of the King.

I love Bruno, but let’s not forget he’s been here for one year. Cantona did it for us year after year, let alone the context of that.

Bruno is miles off King Eric. But that isn’t a slight against him; it’s just Cantona set the bar that high.
I understand Cantina's influence was huge but are we now saying that Sir Alex wouldn't have dominated English football without him? Surely SAF would have managed to improve other players as much and possibly found a different way/player to win given he's the greatest of all time.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Eric was Eric - he brought a swagger

Bruno is Bruno - he brings humility and graft.

I love both.
Not sure which will prove to be the most impactful - which is an incredible compliment to Bruno
Well said.

Very different as characters, but they have a couple of things in common.
a) They both came into a team that needed them, and so both had a bigger impact than was expected.
b) Both have an infectious personality, the type that gels the whole team together.