Television The Caf' Anime Thread

Mad Winger

Series:
- Hunter X Hunter(both the old and new versions)
- Code Geass
- Attack on Titan
- Death Note
- Great Teacher Onizuka

Movies:
- Anything from Studio Ghibli(especially Porco Rosso and Spirited Away)
- Paprika
- Perfect Blue
- Millenium Actress
- 5 Centimeters Per Second

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
I'm loving Tokyo Ghoul at the moment but I've been told they've skipped so much stuff from the manga and some of it would have been awesome in the anime.

Scrumpet

There are no words
I watched all of Hunter x Hunter a couple of weeks ago. It was a lot better than I was expecting.

celia

I really liked Tokyo Ghoul so far but I have been told that the manga is so much better, so I'll either read the manga or wait for the uncensored episodes.

This season I surprisingly really like the comedies anime, especially Gekkan shoujo Nouzaki-kun (It's a shonen anime). The first ep is a little misleading since I thought it would be more romance, but it's more comedy with many characters. I am not really sure about Zankyou no terror since it talks about two young people planting bombs and I even less know what to do of this remake of Sailor Moon.

But the anime I would recommend the most is Sidonia no Kishi, it's more a hard-SF anime with mecha but the mecha isn't the most important part. Sadly, people seem to dismiss it because it's 3D. Yes, it can be quite awkward at first, but it's nice in exteriors and I didn't mind it that much after few eps since the story is great. The first season finsihed one month ago and I'm really looking forward season 2.

Ruht

Tokyo Ghoul is good, the manga is definitely much better but there are lots of chapters that still haven't been translated. Hopefully it will be picked up now that the anime is out. That being said, I'm enjoying the anime quite a lot as well. If they stay true to the manga it would have been twice as good, but that's rare to see.

@celia Zankyo no Terror is worth a watch since it's something different. So far it has been quite entertaining and things should pick up in the next few episodes. Do give it a try if you have the time.

Tokyo ESP and Akame ga Kill! are a good watch as well. I'd recommend reading the manga as well if you have the time.

Last edited:

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I really liked Tokyo Ghoul so far but I have been told that the manga is so much better, so I'll either read the manga or wait for the uncensored episodes.

This season I surprisingly really like the comedies anime, especially Gekkan shoujo Nouzaki-kun (It's a shonen anime). The first ep is a little misleading since I thought it would be more romance, but it's more comedy with many characters. I am not really sure about Zankyou no terror since it talks about two young people planting bombs and I even less know what to do of this remake of Sailor Moon.

But the anime I would recommend the most is Sidonia no Kishi, it's more a hard-SF anime with mecha but the mecha isn't the most important part. Sadly, people seem to dismiss it because it's 3D. Yes, it can be quite awkward at first, but it's nice in exteriors and I didn't mind it that much after few eps since the story is great. The first season finsihed one month ago and I'm really looking forward season 2.
Its so much better than the anime
They're skipping arcs, adding scenes, rushing too much ...
Give the manga a chance you'll be surprised at how good it is

celia

So I will read the Tokyo Ghoul manga, thank you for the inputs.

I am watching Tokyo Esp and Zankyo no Terror - with this one, it's hard to relate with the 3 young characters, but I found the 3rd episode better - and other animes (probably need to drop or stall some). I am not sure about Akame ga kill, the second episode seems so formulaic to me.

Ruht

Akame ga Kill gets much, much better later on. Some really interesting characters get introduced and the action picks up. I love how it manages to mix up humour with a little bit seriousness on the side. Plus, there are lots of deaths, who doesn't love that?

Golden Nugget

Just a manga reader here, but One piece is definitely the best I've read. Naruto and Bleach started off well but just drags like crazy.

My favourite as a kid was Kindaichi, which is a detective anime. Recommend it to anyone that likes that type.

Ruht

I've been reading/watching One Piece for over 6 years now and still love it as much as when I started. Fantastic series. Naruto and Bleach are absolutely piss, don't know whether it is because I'm getting older or they are just that bad. But lots of people I've talked to share the same view.

celia

Subs, less likely to have voices portraying differently the characters.

Havak

Pokemon master
Sword Art Online II started somewhat recently for anyone who watched the first series. It's more like 'Gun Art Online' at the moment as they're playing a shooter instead, but it's only 4-5 episodes in, so a lot could change. Promising start though and enjoying it!

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Sword Art Online II started somewhat recently for anyone who watched the first series. It's more like 'Gun Art Online' at the moment as they're playing a shooter instead, but it's only 4-5 episodes in, so a lot could change. Promising start though and enjoying it!
?!?!?!?! :D:D:D:D:D

Ibi Dreams

Ping Pong The Animation.
I'm a fan of Masaaki Yuasa and this was quite good, although I've still not watched it all as I lost a bit of interest around episode 7. I think it's mainly just because I was watching it one episode a week as they came out, if I just had it all downloaded I'd have got through it. Anyway, what I saw was brilliantly unique, just like all Yuasa's stuff

Mystry

Friendship is magic
The first few arcs of Bleach are fantastic, but it goes downhill so badly it's unbelievable.
Aye, the first three are absolutely fantastic, usually go through them once a year maybe. The last couple, the ones that actually follow the manga are still very good though and it's worth going through the middle ones to get to them. But the filler arcs, probably the worst of any anime series I've followed.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
The first few arcs of Bleach are fantastic, but it goes downhill so badly it's unbelievable.
The freaking Bounts absolutely murdered the Bleach anime. The Rescue/ Soul Society arc and *****'s revelation was its absolute peak. Even the manga went to shit post Xcution... :(

Moby

Dick
Aye, the first three are absolutely fantastic, usually go through them once a year maybe. The last couple, the ones that actually follow the manga are still very good though and it's worth going through the middle ones to get to them. But the filler arcs, probably the worst of any anime series I've followed.
Same here. Still enjoy watching those. And yeah I have seen bits and pieces of the recent ones and they do look interesting, but as you said going through the middle ones is a bit of a roadblock.

The freaking Bounts absolutely murdered the Bleach anime. The Rescue/ Soul Society arc and *****'s revelation was its absolute peak. Even the manga went to shit post Xcution... :(
The Bounts arc was pathetic but then it was filler so sorta expected. I thought it picked up quite well with the arrancar arcs, though a lot of stuff was recycled from the Soul Society arc. And then there were few ups and downs but watchable to an extent even if not as good as before. After Aizen's end though, I just couldn't make head or tail of what was going on. The Anime actually got cancelled, right? Which would have taken a big amount of downfall considering how famous the series was.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
The Bounts arc was pathetic but then it was filler so sorta expected. I thought it picked up quite well with the arrancar arcs, though a lot of stuff was recycled from the Soul Society arc. And then there were few ups and downs but watchable to an extent even if not as good as before. After Aizen's end though, I just couldn't make head or tail of what was going on. The Anime actually got cancelled, right? Which would have taken a big amount of downfall considering how famous the series was.
I dunno man it just never felt the same to me. It did have some great high-points (Ikkaku's bankai :D Vaizards, Ulquiorra, Grimmjow, final getsuga etc) but for someone that watched/ read Bleach since the very start - each week for about 1 year I had to suit though the sadass filler bount saga just waiting for it to be over and that just pissed me off to no end.. I think if I had started watching it from 2007 it wouldn't make much difference because then I could just skip it.. But witnessing the horror unfold every week was just an incredibly grating experience. :(

Ditto with Naruto and the post Naruto-Sasuke mano-a-mano Valley of the End/ pre-Shippuden shenanigans.. :mad:

Mystry

Friendship is magic
I dunno man it just never felt the same to me. It did have some great high-points (Ikkaku's bankai :D Vaizards, Ulquiorra, Grimmjow, final getsuga etc) but for someone that watched/ read Bleach since the very start - each week for about 1 year I had to suit though the sadass filler bount saga just waiting for it to be over and that just pissed me off to no end.. I think if I had started watching it from 2007 it wouldn't make much difference because then I could just skip it.. But witnessing the horror unfold every week was just an incredibly grating experience. :(

Ditto with Naruto and the post Naruto-Sasuke mano-a-mano Valley of the End/ pre-Shippuden shenanigans.. :mad:
The filler thing is probably same with any series. I've just learned to stop watching when a filler arc begins and wait for it to pick up where it left off with the proper story or if I'm starting a new show then just miss them out completely. But I get where you are coming from. I began watching Naruto when it was in the middle of the second series and used to anticipate every episode, watching everything until it just ground me down with the fillers that I just stopped completely. It wasn't until years later when Shippuden was in it's second or third series that I started watching again and because the first series of Shippuden wasn't great I just couldn't get back into it. Wasn't until a mate of mine told me to give it another go because of the Akatsuki arcs that I finally caught up. Glad I did because they are fantastic, the current third war acrs too.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
The filler thing is probably same with any series. I've just learned to stop watching when a filler arc begins and wait for it to pick up where it left off with the proper story or if I'm starting a new show then just miss them out completely. But I get where you are coming from. I began watching Naruto when it was in the middle of the second series and used to anticipate every episode, watching everything until it just ground me down with the fillers that I just stopped completely. It wasn't until years later when Shippuden was in it's second or third series that I started watching again and because the first series of Shippuden wasn't great I just couldn't get back into it. Wasn't until a mate of mine told me to give it another go because of the Akatsuki arcs that I finally caught up. Glad I did because they are fantastic, the current third war acrs too.
Yeah shippuden brought me back on track too :). It was kind of good upto Naruto vs Pain/ Itachi vs Sasuke/ Zabuza but Kishimoto's over-the-top Uchiha love-in, Fourth Great Shinobi War, freaking Madara and Jubito and Kaguya really turned me off.
Personally I think Shippuden is a step back from the original. The interpersonal relationships of the other characters which made Naruto so great has been drowned in a largely Uchiha centric plot :(.

Ruht

Well, the arc is called "Gun Gale Online" after all :p Hasn't been that bad so far, and you do get lightsabers! I've read that the novel, overall isn't as good but we will see how the anime goes.

Tokyo Ghoul's 5th episode was absolutely fantastic by the way, and this is from someone who reads the manga. Excellent episode.

MajorTom

I've been watching Tokyo Ghoul too. As Ruht said the 5th episode is great, along 4th episode and well.... the whole series so far. Not that I've watched much anime but this is my favourite up to yet. Shū Tsukiyama is my favourite character, love it when he starts fantasising over Kaneki and his eyes start pulsating over the thought of.......

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
I'm not an anime fan in general (more that I haven't seen many as opposed to actively disliking it), but upon a friend's request, I started watching Hunter x Hunter (2011). I've enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, and found both the Hunter Exam arc and Heavens Arena arc to be entertaining and engaging. The Yorknew City arc was shaping up to my favourite yet, as I really enjoyed the introduction of the Phantom Troupe and the development of Kurapika into a chain-wielding bad-ass. However, that was right up until...

...the end of the arc which I thought was pretty lame. Felt pretty rushed. After the tension building with the spider looking for blood and Kurapika obviously seeking revenge, there was no proper climax for me. Kurapika doesn't fight Nobunaga (or any other spider) 1v1? Hisoka doesn't fight Chrollo? The Troupe members decide to spare Chrollo? I don't know, overall it felt like an abrupt and unsatisfying ending to me. Maybe I'm just a sucker for big fights to settle things. I still enjoy the show overall and of course I'll keep on watching, but I hope most future arcs don't end this way.

On another note, what are some good anime shows that I could get into? Aside from Hunter x Hunter, I've only seen DBZ and Pokemon as a kid, both dubbed versions. Mostly people tell me to watch Naruto, Bleach, or Attack On Titan. Are they easy to get into if you haven't really watched anime before?

Moby

Dick
I'm not an anime fan in general (more that I haven't seen many as opposed to actively disliking it), but upon a friend's request, I started watching Hunter x Hunter (2011). I've enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, and found both the Hunter Exam arc and Heavens Arena arc to be entertaining and engaging. The Yorknew City arc was shaping up to my favourite yet, as I really enjoyed the introduction of the Phantom Troupe and the development of Kurapika into a chain-wielding bad-ass. However, that was right up until...

...the end of the arc which I thought was pretty lame. Felt pretty rushed. After the tension building with the spider looking for blood and Kurapika obviously seeking revenge, there was no proper climax for me. Kurapika doesn't fight Nobunaga (or any other spider) 1v1? Hisoka doesn't fight Chrollo? The Troupe members decide to spare Chrollo? I don't know, overall it felt like an abrupt and unsatisfying ending to me. Maybe I'm just a sucker for big fights to settle things. I still enjoy the show overall and of course I'll keep on watching, but I hope most future arcs don't end this way.

On another note, what are some good anime shows that I could get into? Aside from Hunter x Hunter, I've only seen DBZ and Pokemon as a kid, both dubbed versions. Mostly people tell me to watch Naruto, Bleach, or Attack On Titan. Are they easy to get into if you haven't really watched anime before?
Bleach is very easy to get into.

Scrumpet

There are no words

I loved that ending. It's the only show of its kind that can get away with just doing away with the typical climactic battle. Subverting genre tropes is something it does more and more as the show goes on, but I still find the endings satisfying. The end of that arc made sense from a character point of view, and I did find Pakunoda's death quite sad.