Television The Caf' Anime Thread

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
On another note, what are some good anime shows that I could get into? Aside from Hunter x Hunter, I've only seen DBZ and Pokemon as a kid, both dubbed versions. Mostly people tell me to watch Naruto, Bleach, or Attack On Titan. Are they easy to get into if you haven't really watched anime before?
In fairness these are relatively simpler anime to follow even for a relative newbie to the genre.

Whether you end up appreciating them is another matter altogether. From personal experience, it depends on your age/ mental makeup. Used to love shonen - like Bleach or Naruto in my teens - which makes sense because the core target audience is pre-teen to teenage boys/ fangirls. Now not so much.

So if you're sub-20 then go for it. But if you're 20+ I'd suggest something a bit mature - Steins; Gate, Durarara!!, Death Note, Mushishi, Berserk, Code Geass, Monster, Baccano!, Wolf's Rain, Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Hellsing, FMA and the likes. Or even in the shonen genre I'd recommend One Piece/ Gintama over those three or Fairy Tale/ Sword Art Online.

Tip : Avoid the dubbed versions of anime like a plague. Especially the 4kids One Piece dubs. Also if you're a female/ intend to watch with a female/ are a romantic do give Clannad and Clannad : Afterstory a try. Definitely worth watching.

celia

If you like HxH, I wouldn't recommend Naruto because it's simpler and moreover I always thought the first episodes of Naruto were infuriating with so many flashbacks and the animation wasn't really good, I gave up before I saw if there were an improvement.

I still find it's better to read the manga of these long anime since these anime are usually really faithful.

But if you want to stay with the same kind of anime One Piece or FMA are the popular choices. Even if I always thought that HxH was more surprising and elaborate.

Attack on the titans is said to be good and is a short anime.

I would recomend you Level E, it's a funny, surprising and short anime that was adapted from a manga by Togashiro, the author of HxH. Or read the 3 volumes manga, it's really worth it.

I tend to favour too the subs because they stay closer to the intent of the producers, and quality isn't that different.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
I loved that ending. It's the only show of its kind that can get away with just doing away with the typical climactic battle. Subverting genre tropes is something it does more and more as the show goes on, but I still find the endings satisfying. The end of that arc made sense from a character point of view, and I did find Pakunoda's death quite sad.
Yeah I get that, and now that I've had days to digest it I appreciate the ending a lot more, it was just a bit jarring for me when I first watched it. Definitely agree about Paku's death too, pretty sad.

Thanks to @Invictus and @celia for the recommendations and breakdown of anime in general. And if it helps for future reference, I'm a 20+ male who loves violence but not at the expense of a good story. I'm keen for either light-hearted or dark material, as long as the characters are developed and I like the look of the art. I started watching Attack On Titan after I wrote my comment, which I enjoy so far; I'm not loving it like I do HxH but I'm only about 11 episodes in and it's definitely intriguing enough to continue. Based on your suggestions I'll start watching Death Note and Level E soon, I'm just wondering how many anime I could watch at one time while maintaining keen interest in all of them.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Does anybody else here watch Akame ga Kill?
Started it last night, there's only 9 episodes so far but it's a great anime, very dark but there's a good mix of characters too and a really interesting story line.

I needed something new as i'm fully caught up with HxH and Fairy Tail, and i'm saving Naruto so I can watch a marathon of episodes in succession.

One piece has an insane number of episodes and i'm only on 60 something and I still can't get into it. Bleach as similar.

If there's any other anime's anyone can recommend that'd be great!

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Started it last night, there's only 9 episodes so far but it's a great anime, very dark but there's a good mix of characters too and a really interesting story line.

I needed something new as i'm fully caught up with HxH and Fairy Tail, and i'm saving Naruto so I can watch a marathon of episodes in succession.

One piece has an insane number of episodes and i'm only on 60 something and I still can't get into it. Bleach as similar.

If there's any other anime's anyone can recommend that'd be great!
Keep rec'ing Durarara!! and Baccano! but no-one's willing to give them a change. :(

Which is a shame because they have two of my favorite duos ever (Izaya and Shizuo) and (Miria and Isaac).

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Keep rec'ing Durarara!! and Baccano! but no-one's willing to give them a change. :(

Which is a shame because they have two of my favorite duos ever (Izaya and Shizuo) and (Miria and Isaac).
Perfect! Even more reason to give them a shot

Thank you very much :D

Ruht

I do! There seem to be mixed feelings towards it amongst anime fans but I'm enjoying it quite a lot. My favourite character (Wave) just got introduced in the latest episode so the show is about to get much, much better now. Do keep watching!

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I do! There seem to be mixed feelings towards it amongst anime fans but I'm enjoying it quite a lot. My favourite character (Wave) just got introduced in the latest episode so the show is about to get much, much better now. Do keep watching!
I'm loving it so far, I can't wait for whats going to happen in the up coming weeks.

also @Invictus durarara is brilliant! Currently on the 5th episode but i'm hooked! I can see why Izaya & Shizuo are your faves, they're two very interesting characters so far :lol:

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
also @Invictus durarara is brilliant! Currently on the 5th episode but i'm hooked! I can see why Izaya & Shizuo are your faves, they're two very interesting characters so far :lol:
Glad you're enjoying it. :lol:

Ruht

Sales of the manga seem to be doing alright, which is great news. Some other studio might eventually decide to pick it up for a second season and do a better job at it.

That being said, I've watched worse adaptations than this, could have been much worse!

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Just finished the Chimera Ant arc in Hunter x Hunter and

... that scene where Meruem and Komugi spend the last moments of their life together absolutely wrecked me, didn't think anime could get me that emotional. Although you could see the seeds being planted throughout the latter parts of the arc, it's still executed brilliantly. Every time he asked her if she was still there, and every time she replied... THE FEELS. Great ending to a great arc, one which tops the Phantom Troupe one as my favourite for sure. Also at the end... Ging! Finally!

Art

Art the artist
is Hunter X Hunter worth the watch?

Also, I've been looking to watch a really scary-ass horror anime. Don't know which ones. Any recommendations?

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

Also, I've been looking to watch a really scary-ass horror anime. Don't know which ones. Any recommendations?
Anime don't really scare me. But Higurashi no Naku Koro ni came pretty close. :nervous:

Also Shiki and Ghost Hound. Although they're not scary per se hmm... More creepy than anything else.

Last edited:

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

YES YES YES
best shounen anime ever
the begining is a bit childish just continue watching it gets better and better

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Really bummed out that Hunter X Hunter is over in a couple of weeks. The world and story are so intriguing, the animation is brilliant, the characters are written and voiced beautifully, so many moments in the show that moved me closer to tears than most television and film in my life. Even if Togashi gets better soon and continues to write the manga, it's more likely that there will another new reboot as opposed to continuing this version of the anime, which is a shame, because it's been so damn good.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Just finished the Chimera Ant arc in Hunter x Hunter and

... that scene where Meruem and Komugi spend the last moments of their life together absolutely wrecked me, didn't think anime could get me that emotional. Although you could see the seeds being planted throughout the latter parts of the arc, it's still executed brilliantly. Every time he asked her if she was still there, and every time she replied... THE FEELS. Great ending to a great arc, one which tops the Phantom Troupe one as my favourite for sure. Also at the end... Ging! Finally!
I wasn't a big fan of the Chimera Ant arc but the end was so poignant and beautiful, even Gon's reaction overwhelmed me, then Killua's response on top of that! It was brilliant, absolutely worth the amount of episodes the whole arc took up.

Ah I'm really gonna miss HxH now, especially Killua

Don't even hesitate - it's brilliant, watch it!

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Any Kill la Kill fans in here? I've seen a bit of hype around that during the past couple of years but never checked it out.
It's brilliant IMO. But extremely bizzare. And slapstick. In short : either you'll love it or hate it. There's no middle ground. A bit like FLCL and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (same creators as Kill la Kill) in that regard.

thepolice123

Any Kill la Kill fans in here? I've seen a bit of hype around that during the past couple of years but never checked it out.
Kill la kill only came out last year. I thought it was crap.

I'm currently 20 episodes into Monster. What a fecking brilliant anime it has been.

celia

I second Higurashi no Naku Koro. Try not be misled by the quite simple character design.

I will add too Ghost Hunt. Actually some of the cases are funnier, some other are scarier. The beginning of the anime is more funny than scary then it's more the contrary.

I wish I either loved or hated Kill la Kill from the start. I had a more nuanced opinion at first. The first episodes weren't deep but quite fun. Then for a while I was hesitating between dropping or not (but I wasn't watching many anime at that time). Now I am not sure if I should go on or not and I have already watched 19/24 episodes. I will probably finish it since I suffered it so far. Though the longer I wait between the episodes, the more baffled I will probably be than the scenarists expected the viewers to accept.

So give it a try, usually the people who like it like it from the start. Few people may be converted in later episodes but are more likely to be disappointed.

Art

Art the artist
Ok, I have just started watching Hunter X Hunter. It is fecking awesome.

GifLord

Terra Formars anime came out yesterday.
If u liked Starship Troopers then you'll like this also wait for the uncensored version because they censored the s..t out of it - i think one of the networks will air it in the coming week

With the space program attempting to travel to Mars, 21st century scientists were tasked with warming up the planet so that humans could survive on its surface. They came up with an efficient and cost-effective plan of sending cockroaches and mold to the surface so that the mold would absorb the sunlight and the insect corpses would serve as a food source for the mold.

It is now the year 2577 and the first manned ship to Mars has landed on the planet and the six crew members are ready for their mission. But what they find are giant mutated humanoid cockroaches with incredible physical strength. The crew members are easily wiped out, but not before sending a transmission back to Earth. Now, humanity will send elite warriors to exterminate the mutated bugs and claim back Mars.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Naruto 1999-2014. :(

MajorTom

Over the course of the past few days I've watched the Ghost in the Shell: Arise series. All four of them are cracking episodes and at 50 minutes a pop they pack quite a great deal into them. Definitely worth a watch if you are a fan of it.

Skywarden

Solid bump, have some catching up to do. Good thing holidays are coming up.

GifLord

New season of Tokyo Ghoul has started. I am hearing the anime might have a alternate storyline. Is it true? I might restart the manga reading of tokyo ghoul then.
Yup
Manga Spoiler
Kaneki never joins Aogiri

Also the first season skipped an arc if i remember correctly

Ruht

The new season of TG will take a completely different route and will have nothing to do with the manga. I was a bit sad when I learned that it would be this way but now that I watched the first episode I'm quite intrigued as to where all this would go. The plot is also being written by Ishida himself so it should be a good watch.

Ruht

I've binged watched Kuroko no Basuke S1 and S2 and loved it. It's such a great watch. That and Haikyuu are great sports animes/mangas. Thoroughly recommend both of them if anyone hasn't seen them.

That said, not a very strong line-up of animes this time. The Spring line-up looks terrific though, have no idea when I'll have the time to watch most of them.

celia

I'm glad there aren't that many anime to try. So I will perhaps have time catching up some 2014 anime and less time wondering if I should drop or not an anime.

So far, I wasn't really impressed with the new 2015 anime. The ones I quite like are Death Parade and Idolmasters: Cinderella. I wasn't even planning to watch the last one. The one that disappointed me the most is Yuri Kuma Arashi since I enjoyed a lot Mawaru Penguin.

MajorTom

Finally got around to watching Akira this afternoon, good film. The animation considering it's from 1988 is bob on. The three little munchkins kept making me laugh along with freaking me out at the same, they're like something out of South Park.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
Watching Death Note currently, only 16 episodes in but wow, this is fantastic. First time I've been properly addicted to an anime, I mean I finished Naruto (but not Shippuden) with a bit of effort but I'm actually hooked on this. Fantastic.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
Finished Death Note now, I need something else to watch :(

I watched episode 1 of Code Geass but I don't think it's for me, will try a few more and see how it goes. But yea anyone got some recommendations?