Television The Caf' Anime Thread

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
I think it would be cool if Luffy ended up having the rest of the supernovas under his banner in the end.
I've suggested the same thing Ode, he would literally be the Pirate King at that point. This has perhaps been foreshadowed by Mihawk's comment too. Traguy, Kidd, Monk, Bege, Capone, and Bonney are all ones I could potentially see sailing under him on the assault against the World Government. The others I'm not so sure about. But honestly, that would be so epic man.

Speaking of Capone, imagine if your baby came out looking like this:

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I've suggested the same thing Ode, he would literally be the Pirate King at that point. This has perhaps been foreshadowed by Mihawk's comment too. Traguy, Kidd, Monk, Bege, Capone, and Bonney are all ones I could potentially see sailing under him on the assault against the World Government. The others I'm not so sure about. But honestly, that would be so epic man.

Speaking of Capone, imagine if your baby came out looking like this:

I'd rather not imagine that. :lol:

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Honestly, you've nailed the description. I'm a transfer muppet for pirate crews. I would love to see that happen, and have Zoro surpass Mihawk when Luffy surpasses Shanks (you would expect it to happen around the same time if your theory were to become true, right?). But seriously, look at the state of that crews, it's absolutely filthy. All likeable characters in their own way, and all somewhat enigmatic.
Yep! I mean, I guess Oda is very particular...

about the balance of things and hasn't made any Yonko Crew too overpowered, but the addition of those two makes a ton of sense as we progress towards the War of Thrones.

Mihawk prefers to live in isolation and do whatever he wants, but the isolation has weakened him in a way (even at Marinford he wanted to measure the gap between himself and Shirohige, instead of being certain of his strength like Shanks when he entered Moby Dick). As for the “do whatever he wants” part, that's the official theme of the Red Hair Pirates, innit — they don't care about the One Piece (Shanks has already seen it with the Roger Pirates), or oppressing people and claiming territories like Big Mom / Kaido — all they ever seem to do is get wasted and lounge around, so there'll be very little pressure to conform — Mihawk could easily do his own thing while Shanks and co. are busy partying it up! :lol: And once the major battle towards the end is over and done with, he can go his own merry way. Significant characters should do significant things, IMO — thus far, Mihawk rekt Don Kreig, didn't go all out at Marineford and kinda trained Zoro — which is a meh output for someone of his stature, so an alliance makes sense for the time being because he can do only so much on his own (in comparison with what he could do with a Yonko in the thick of things).

As regards Marco, he lost his Captain/father at Marineford, his crew after the Payback War, mates like Thatch, Ace, Blackbeard over the years — and cuts a forlorn figure. He too can at least temporary ally with Shanks (like Crocus with Roger after his stint with the Rumbar pirates — coincidentally, Crocus was also a doctor). Plus, Shanks' main objective in terms of the storyline is to make sure that the “rightful heir” Luffy inherits Roger's treasure (that's why he sacrificed an arm when he could have easily used conqueror's haki on the seaking to begin with) — and Marco has ties to Luffy via Ace, so their objectives (for the time being) kinda align. Also, the Red Hair Pirates are likely to clash with Blackbeard at some point — which will give Marco the opportunity to avenge Whitebeard/Ace/Thatch.

I think it would be cool if Luffy ended up having the rest of the supernovas under his banner in the end.
Yes! :drool:

Another character I wanna see in Luffy's Grand Fleet is Katakuri — poor guy is bullied incessantly at WCI, and will be best served going no contact with his toxic family. And given his status as the 1st commander of a Yonko, he could be a quality training/sparring partner for Sanji (especially wrt. Haki usage considering Katakuri's mastery of that aspect).

el3mel

Found some video of Parasyte me while I was watching something on Youtube. I said let's try, and I ended up watching loads of these anime videos in a row that I think I have spoiled most of it for me. :D Looked great and very very interesting, too much gory though.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
Anyone watched Arrietty? Watched it last night but was kinda underwhelmed.
Yeah, I think I liked it. I don't know about you, but for me with Studio Ghibli films and ones like them I think I'm more of a passive watcher and let myself get drawn into the films without thinking much about them. Most of the time anyway. And for me music is also important, so if it's to my taste, which most of the music from Ghibli and Miyazaki seems to be, then I think I'll be easily tricked into thinking an OK film is good. But yeah, can't remember disliking it.

Cloud7

After seeing countless memes about it I finally decided to give “Darling in the Franxx” a try, and I’m enjoying it so far. I’ve always been a sucker for a mecha anime, and zero two is a very interesting character.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Anyone here a fan of visual novels? Kinda fits in this thread, right?

3KDré

Hard to guage it so early on, I'd say watch until the Zoldyck arc finishes (around 27 episodes in), and if you aren't feeling it by that point then don't continue it.

Personally, I loved HxH, fecking awesome anime with a beautiful soundtrack.
Agree with @Twigg...don't give up just yet, @3KDré! The first couple dozen episodes are admittedly a tad bit childish and ponderous (as opposed to something like Bleach which hits you in the face from the get go and introduces the first major conflict by just Episode 14), but the writer's focus is on world-building and engendering a sense of chemistry between the primary characters — so the leisurely pace kinda makes sense. Give it a fair go — if you're not hooked by Heaven's Arena arc (a definite turning point for me: analogous to Baratie and Arlong Park in One Piece), then H x H is probably not for you.
Sticking with it was a brilliant choice. I started the Chimera Ant arc thinking it would be the worst arc so far but it just keeps bettering itself with each arc. I like that it is realistic where the main characters don't just quickly become ridiculously powerful.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
Sticking with it was a brilliant choice. I started the Chimera Ant arc thinking it would be the worst arc so far but it just keeps bettering itself with each arc. I like that it is realistic where the main characters don't just quickly become ridiculously powerful.
Yeah, the power scaling is great in HxH. Which episode are you on exactly?

Personally, I struggled with the Chimera Ant Arc while watching it, but that can probably be put down to my shitty attention span as I think it was the longest arc? But in hindsight it was my favourite arc, there were some spectacular moments and the music was incredible.

And I'm glad you stuck with it :)

3KDré

Yeah, the power scaling is great in HxH. Which episode are you on exactly?

Personally, I struggled with the Chimera Ant Arc while watching it, but that can probably be put down to my shitty attention span as I think it was the longest arc? But in hindsight it was my favourite arc, there were some spectacular moments and the music was incredible.

And I'm glad you stuck with it :)
I think I am on episode 112. It is a very long arc but because they've essentially split into the different parts it does feel a like is flying through now.
The music has been getting better and better too, I really noticed that. Have they stopped producing the show now, are they planning on making new episodes?

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
I think I am on episode 112. It is a very long arc but because they've essentially split into the different parts it does feel a like is flying through now.
The music has been getting better and better too, I really noticed that. Have they stopped producing the show now, are they planning on making new episodes?
It caught up with the manga so had to stop making episodes. Togashi, the mangaka, has been incredibly slow at releasing new chapters and has taken many hiatuses as you can see from the picture below:

This is a stark contrast to One Piece's Oda for example, who is a goddamn machine when it comes to releasing chapters:

I don't know why he goes on so many hiatuses. Some people say he's selfish and would rather play video games and bathe in his money than please his fans, but I'm not sure about the validity of that :lol: Maybe he has just lost the passion for manga, or has health issues, but I'm not sure if anything has been confirmed so I'm just speculating.

Kinda sucks though, I love the anime series. Hopefully he pumps out another major arc or two soon and the anime creators can jump back onto it.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
There is being incredibly slow, and then there is the graveyard of generations of Berserk fans who will never see the end. :(

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Anyone watched the show Touch ? it's a beautiful series from the 80s. Right in my all top list just before Maison Ikkoku.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
You should try 'Made in Abyss', the anime has this nostalgic feeling that I think should appeal to older generations, at least I'm really into it although the current season is coming to an end and it feels too short.
Finally got around to watching this. 5 episodes in — and it has definitely blown my expectations out of the water. Seemed kinda puerile at first, but I've quickly fallen in love with the adorable characters, the mesmerizing visuals and the whole pickaxe-steampunk-adventure-fantasy premise! :)

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Reading this thread has got me back into one piece after giving up during the fishman saga(god that was boring). Decided to jump straight to the punk hazard arc and its reminding me why i loved the series on the first place. Hopefully it doesnt take another dip but i guess this time i could just skip ahead.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
Reading this thread has got me back into one piece after giving up during the fishman saga(god that was boring). Decided to jump straight to the punk hazard arc and its reminding me why i loved the series on the first place. Hopefully it doesnt take another dip but i guess this time i could just skip ahead.
Oh, thank god you like it again. As I was reading it the pessimist in me assumed you'd realised why you hated it, but nope, you remembered why you liked it. I'm glad. Keep going man, you have some cool arcs coming up :) Or well, I thought they were awesome at least. Particularly the next one.

Cloud7

After seeing countless memes about it I finally decided to give “Darling in the Franxx” a try, and I’m enjoying it so far. I’ve always been a sucker for a mecha anime, and zero two is a very interesting character.
People on the internet will really complain about anything. I absolutely loved the ending of this anime and thought that it was so fitting and perfect. Decided to check out the subreddit for it and the majority there didn’t like it :lol:

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
People on the internet will really complain about anything. I absolutely loved the ending of this anime and thought that it was so fitting and perfect. Decided to check out the subreddit for it and the majority there didn’t like it :lol:
What's crazy is, when I read people's opinions before I watch or read something they become really weightful in my mind and affect whether or not I'll like it. However, when I watch something completely blindly often I'll end up liking it and then I'll check subreddits, youtube videos or reviews and see how shit people's reactions are, and I'm like, wtf, I loved that.

Cloud7

What's crazy is, when I read people's opinions before I watch or read something they become really weightful in my mind and affect whether or not I'll like it. However, when I watch something completely blindly often I'll end up liking it and then I'll check subreddits, youtube videos or reviews and see how shit people's reactions are, and I'm like, wtf, I loved that.
Ever since I was little I’ve enjoyed things that people have thought were crap, so I’m used to it :lol:. There are so many movies and shows that I really enjoy that are widely criticized everywhere. The most prominent example I like to quote is Transformers. I don’t think any of the movies have ever gotten a word of positivity from reviewers or people online, yet I’ve loved every second of every movie :lol: I think it’s all about knowing what you like, and not letting what other people think bother you.

Art

Art the artist
Wise decision, sir.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
Chapter isn't out yet, I've just read the leaked info.

Can't wait to see Kid and Luffy's competitive interactions :lol:

Luffy and Kid forced into labour with seastone cuffs, maybe Oda is employing a creative training method for the characters. Perhaps training their actual human selves (as in, without their devilfruit power) while under extreme fatigue due to the impact seastone has on devil fruit users is a more effective way of training. I like this idea.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Chapter isn't out yet, I've just read the leaked info.

Can't wait to see Kid and Luffy's competitive interactions :lol:

Luffy and Kid forced into labour with seastone cuffs, maybe Oda is employing a creative training method for the characters. Perhaps training their actual human selves (as in, without their devilfruit power) while under extreme fatigue due to the impact seastone has on devil fruit users is a more effective way of training. I like this idea.
Just read the latest chapter, and you could be on to something here — perhaps the seastones will help them build greater resistance, a bit like Lee's intense weight training program in Naruto:

Wrt. training their human selves, Kaido's comment about to breaking Luffy' spirit here....

is quite interesting because Haki translates to spirit or will power in Japanese. Perhaps Luffy and Kid (both of whom refuse to surrender) will evolve and reach a new level of Haki usage while at Udon Prisoners' mine — setting them even further apart from some of the other Supernovae whose spirit started wavering in the presence of Kaido (Apoo, Hawkins).

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Bleach is awesome. Finished Soul Society arc, skipped Bount and just starting Arrancar arc.

Though not sure how fresh the later seasons will be as I sense this may be a repeat with more powerful versions of the same. Hope they keep things interesting.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Bleach is awesome. Finished Soul Society arc, skipped Bount and just starting Arrancar arc.

Though not sure how fresh the later seasons will be as I sense this may be a repeat with more powerful versions of the same. Hope they keep things interesting.
It stays more or less the same, just scaled up in power and speed.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Slow couple of months on the anime front so I decided to rewatch Avatar. Held up pretty well for a show that wrapped up way back in 2008 — still one of the best, if not the best, “non-anime” animated series out there...would definitely recommend it to those that haven't seen it, especially shōnen watchers. Great world building and overall concept, well executed character arcs, fresh art style for a Nickelodeon show, and some of the action scenes are genuinely riveting:

Still can't get into The Legend of Korra, though — feels more like a Boruto-style spinoff than a proper sequel. And the movie was godawful, too.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Thoughts on latest One Piece chapters?
  • Interested in seeing how Sanji and Zoro develop over this arc, especially after the most recent chapter — neither has done much combat-wise post timeskip and they really need to take things to a new level considering they have to reach Marco/Beckman/King/Katakuri tier or thereabouts sharpish.
  • Big Mom, again — Wholecake Island V2.0! :lol:
  • Want to know all about Big Mom and Kaido's past as soon as possible — telling that Perospero seemed to remember King.
  • Speaking of King, are he and Magellan/Shillew related in some way through Impel Down? Was Magellan the Head Jailer to King's Chief Warden in the past?
  • Queen has got to be Scorpius zoan! Jack with Elephant and Scorpion ships:

And Queen's hairdo is reminiscent of a Scoprion's tail (also the mustache is like pincers?):

• When are we going to get Reverie II...can hardly wait! :(

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
  • Interested in seeing how Sanji and Zoro develop over this arc, especially after the most recent chapter — neither has done much combat-wise post timeskip and they really need to take things to a new level considering they have to reach Marco/Beckman/King/Katakuri level or thereabouts.
  • Big Mom, again — Wholecake Island V2.0! :lol:
  • Want to know all about Big Mom and Kaido's past as soon as possible — telling that Perospero seemed to remember King.
  • Speaking of King, are he and Magellan/Shillew related in some way through Impel Down? Was Magellan the Head Jailer to King's Chief Warden in the past?

• Queen has to be a scorpion! Jack with Elephant and Scorpion ships:

And Queen's hairdo is reminiscent of a Scoprion's tail:

• When are we going to get Reverie II...can hardly wait! :(
I'm very interested to see what happens with Zoro's eye and I'd love to see how strong Sanji would be if he fully embrace the suit, I'm guessing by the end of the arc they will both gain major upgrades through both of those things, I'm wondering how Luffy will go further though, Kaido destroyed him easily, and if by the end of the arc he is going to bring down both Big Mom and Kaido who will be the fourth emperor? Will it be Law? Maybe Kidd? Or will Law and Kidd go into aliance with Luffy to go vs Blackbeard? Will Dragon bring down CP0 at the reverie? What will Robin discover with thos ponyglephes Luffy's team stole from Big Mom? Are there similiar ones at Kaido's place? There got to be answers soon its so slow atm.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I'm very interested to see what happens with Zoro's eye and I'd love to see how strong Sanji would be if he fully embrace the suit, I'm guessing by the end of the arc they will both gain major upgrades through both of those things, I'm wondering how Luffy will go further though, Kaido destroyed him easily, and if by the end of the arc he is going to bring down both Big Mom and Kaido who will be the fourth emperor? Will it be Law? Maybe Kidd? Or will Law and Kidd go into aliance with Luffy to go vs Blackbeard? Will Dragon bring down CP0 at the reverie? What will Robin discover with thos ponyglephes Luffy's team stole from Big Mom? Are there similiar ones at Kaido's place? There got to be answers soon its so slow atm.
I'm guessing Zoro's eye has some demonic Asura powers? Or maybe Mihawk got his Hawk-eyes with training and they grant him some sort of ultra-refined vision beyond regular observation haki...that ability of Zoro would conveniently come in handy now that Shillew has Absalom's Suke Suke no Mi? As for Luffy, I think once he starts to properly chart his way towards Pirate King status after this arc, there's no need for Yonko, really — we might have two broad groups divided between Luffy and Kurohige with Shanks as some sort of third wheel — or did Roger have Yonko below him (like Shirohige/Shiki), hmm. And I too want/need more Dragon in my life — we hardly know anything about him and bringing down the CP0 would finally be a statement of intent from someone who's supposedly the Most Dangerous Man in the World but hasn't done much in the current storyline wrt. massive-scale disruption to deserve the billing. As for the poneglyphs, the stuff inscribed on them is the key that unlock all the grandest mysteries isn't it? The Void century, Will of D, Joy Boy...all of it will probably get resolved at the same time. Also, considering Robin is the only person capable of reading them, I wonder how and when she'll be targeted by others. Could Blackbeard use Catarina Devon as a decoy, now that she has the Inu Inu no Mi model nine-tailed fox? Another thing I'm looking forward to is Franky building the counter to Pluton. Also the Vegapunk reveal. And oh, Luffy's mom! So many things that need resolving, and yeah it's a bit slow right now, kinda why I usually prefer to go on a One Piece hiatus and then read 5-6 months' worth of chapters in one go... :D

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I'm guessing Zoro's eye has some demonic Asura powers? Or maybe Mihawk got his Hawk-eyes with training and they grant him some sort of ultra-refined vision beyond regular observation haki...that ability of Zoro would conveniently come in handy now that Shillew has Absalom's Suke Suke no Mi? As for Luffy, I think once he starts to properly chart his way towards Pirate King status after this arc, there's no need for Yonko, really — we might have two broad groups divided between Luffy and Kurohige with Shanks as some sort of third wheel — or did Roger have Yonko below him (like Shirohige/Shiki), hmm. And I too want/need more Dragon in my life — we hardly know anything about him and bringing down the CP0 would finally be a statement of intent from someone who's supposedly the Most Dangerous Man in the World but hasn't done much in the current storyline wrt. massive-scale disruption to deserve the billing. As for the poneglyphs, the stuff inscribed on them is the key that unlock all the grandest mysteries isn't it? The Void century, Will of D, Joy Boy...all of it will probably get resolved at the same time. Also, considering Robin is the only person capable of reading them, I wonder how and when she'll be targeted by others. Could Blackbeard use Catarina Devon as a decoy, now that she has the Inu Inu no Mi model nine-tailed fox? Another thing I'm looking forward to is Franky building the counter to Pluton. Also the Vegapunk reveal. And oh, Luffy's mom! So many things that need resolving, and yeah it's a bit slow right now, kinda why I usually prefer to go on a One Piece hiatus and then read 5-6 months' worth of chapters in one go... :D
I feel like the void century stuff will reveal how bad the WG is and make luffy determined to take them down, feels like it would be more apropriate for them to be the final boss and it will tie evrything together, Luffu and his dad and Shanks maybe coming into play, I feel like this is the big war Oda was referring to thag will happen at the end of the manga and thats why he is giving Luffy such a big army

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
One more thing:
Katakuri wasn't with BMs crew last chapter, I'm wondering if he'll go on his own or maybe someday join SHs which honestly I would love.