Television The Caf' Anime Thread

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
One more thing:
Katakuri wasn't with BMs crew last chapter, I'm wondering if he'll go on his own or maybe someday join SHs which honestly I would love.
Ooh, I'd like that very much! :drool:

Another character I wanna see in Luffy's Grand Fleet is Katakuri — poor guy is bullied incessantly at WCI, and will be best served going no contact with his toxic family. And given his status as the 1st commander of a Yonko, he could be a quality training/sparring partner for Sanji (especially wrt. Haki usage considering Katakuri's mastery of that aspect).

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-caf-anime-thread.362565/page-40#post-23329871

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Ooh, I'd like that very much! :drool:

Another character I wanna see in Luffy's Grand Fleet is Katakuri — poor guy is bullied incessantly at WCI, and will be best served going no contact with his toxic family. And given his status as the 1st commander of a Yonko, he could be a quality training/sparring partner for Sanji (especially wrt. Haki usage considering Katakuri's mastery of that aspect).

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-caf-anime-thread.362565/page-40#post-23329871
Katakuri as far as I remember is based on Guts, so I'd see it as more likely that he'd go on his own quest if he does leave the Big Mom pirates.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Katakuri as far as I remember is based on Guts, so I'd see it as more likely that he'd go on his own quest if he does leave the Big Mom pirates.
Ah, good to know. I thought he was based on Joseph Joestar from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure — same voice actor (Tomokazu Sugita), lots of parallels in terms of their personalities and character design:

And of course, Kuchisake-onna (an Edo-era mythical figure), or possibly one of her modern adaptations (like Kakihara Masao).

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Ah, good to know. I thought he was based on Joseph Joestar from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure — same voice actor (Tomokazu Sugita), lots of parallels in terms of their personalities and character design:

And of course, Kuchisake-onna (and Edo-era mythical figure), or one of her modern adaptations (like Kakihara).

Might be a bit of all 3, but I'm fairly certain I've read somewhere that he is based on Guts.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
So I was just looking at a few old One Piece episodes and just noticed that Rayleigh, Roger's right hand man, has a mark on his eye similar to Zoro's, Luffy's right hand man, coincidence?

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
So I was just looking at a few old One Piece episodes and just noticed that Rayleigh, Roger's right hand man, has a mark on his eye similar to Zoro's, Luffy's right hand man, coincidence?
Kinda unrelated to the scar thing and highly speculative but IMO, Rayleigh = World's Strongest Swordsman in the Roger Pirates' era. Doesn't seem to have a Devil Fruit and while facing Kirazu at Sabaody, he used only his sword — reckon he's along the lines of Mihawk and Zoro in terms of being a pure Sword + Haki fighter:

After the Roger Pirates disbanded, a few vied for the title (Shanks might have been one of them) and eventually Mihawk emerged as the new Strongest Swordsman.

/theory

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Kinda unrelated to the scar thing and highly speculative but IMO, Rayleigh = World's Strongest Swordsman in the Roger Pirates' era. Doesn't seem to have a Devil Fruit and while facing Kirazu at Sabaody, he used only his sword — reckon he's along the lines of Mihawk and Zoro in terms of being a pure Sword + Haki fighter:

After the Roger Pirates disbanded, a few vied for the title (Shanks might have been one of them) and eventually Mihawk emerged as the new Strongest Swordsman.

/theory
Oh yeah very plausible, I just mean it's one of those similarities between luffy's crew and roger's crew.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Slow couple of months on the anime front so I decided to rewatch Avatar. Held up pretty well for a show that wrapped up way back in 2008 — still one of the best, if not the best, “non-anime” animated series out there...would definitely recommend it to those that haven't seen it, especially shōnen watchers. Great world building and overall concept, well executed character arcs, fresh art style for a Nickelodeon show, and some of the action scenes are genuinely riveting:

Still can't get into The Legend of Korra, though — feels more like a Boruto-style spinoff than a proper sequel. And the movie was godawful, too.
I was watching Avatar a couple of weeks ago too. Still a good feel. Korra was horrible. The 'teen' vibe is horrible.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
@syrian_scholes, this might be of interest to you! :)

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
so this means Kaido and BM are equally matched, and Luffy is now worth half a Yonko.
Yep, pretty much. There's a theory that posits bounties are set on the basis of the person's threat level to the World Government — which kinda makes sense. Charlotte and Kaido's bounties being equally matched is to be expected because even though the latter seems like a more imposing character combat wise, their overall influence is limited to Totto Land and Wano — rather than the world at large, which puts them in a somewhat similar tier in the grand scheme of things. Right now, Shanks is confirmed to have a higher bounty (him waltzing right into Mary Geoise outlines his hidden influence) and I'm assuming Dragon also has a higher bounty because his primary aim as the leader of the Revolutionary Army is to disrupt the World Government — which makes him a direct threat. In the near future, Blackbeard and Luffy are going to outmatch them as well (the latter is already breathing down their necks after being a bit of a non-factor just 2-3 years ago and the latter will be up there after Wano as well — and both of them harbor extreme ambitions to become the next Pirate King, which is nightmarish for World Government). Also super interested in Sabo's bounty after the Reverie ( 600 million is too low for the RA's chief of staff when Yonko commanders like Jack and Katakuri are at a billion+) and possibly Mihawk (if the Shichibukai system is dismantled) — both of them should be at Luffy's current level at the very least.

Cloud7

Decided to give the fate series a try, enjoying it so far. Above all else, I think the music is spectacular. I love haunting vocalisation.

Cloud7

Decided to give the fate series a try, enjoying it so far. Above all else, I think the music is spectacular. I love haunting vocalisation.
Follow up from this, just finished with Fate/Zero. Best thing I’ve watched in quite a while. Anyone else into the fate series?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Yeah I can’t really see how anything can top that. It was really just something else. Next stop fate/apocrypha.
Apocrypha is decent for the fights. Karna is my favorite there.
Story and especially character plots are largely boring compared to Zero. But after zero nothing can measure up and you'll just accept anything that reminds you of that feeling.

Closest to zero I've been is heavens feel, which is a 3 parter i believe where only the 1st part is out so far.

Cloud7

Apocrypha is decent for the fights. Karna is my favorite there.
Story and especially character plots are largely boring compared to Zero. But after zero nothing can measure up and you'll just accept anything that reminds you of that feeling.

Closest to zero I've been is heavens feel, which is a 3 parter i believe where only the 1st part is out so far.
Yeah I’ll get to UBW and Heaven’s feel after, and my last stop will probably be the funny/slice of life spin offs that they have, as I really like the characters in the fate universe.

Fate Zero just had so many brilliant characters, both the masters and the servants, and some of them really had some tragic, undeserved ends.

Lancer and Kariya come to mind. Kariya especially, I genuinely felt it for him in that scene in the church where Aoi told him he never loved anything

Ekeke

I normally can't get into any new anime these days, the stories and animation of some of the more popular ones that I tried just seemed to constantly disappoint compared to anime that was out out 10 or 11 years ago.

But I did finally find one that for the first 6 episodes has kept me thinking and intrigued. It slightly reminds me of Death Note's first episodes (before they ran out of ideas and did some whacky stuff to fill out the rest of the seriess) in terms of the detective and reasoning work going on to try and find out whats going on.

Thats "Yakusoku no Neverland" or The Promised Neverland

For now I recommend it for sure, though I reserve the right to change my mind if it nosedives in the next couple of weeks and they run out of ideas or something

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Nope, I have not
I don't know how the pacing is in the anime, but this was my early impressions of the manga:
"The sense of ambiguity is compelling, refreshing depth to the characters outside the protagonist. The incentive to reach an equilibrium is predicated entirely on brains rather than violence. Dramatic irony involved with the closest of knit groups. For a Shounen, its quite dark. I suppose in some ways, the predicament the characters are faced with is similar to Attack on Titan."

lawliet354

The first arc of Promised Neverland is a masterpiece, can't believe how good it was, but for me it's been going downhill after since, still good manga though

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Read an excerpt of The Promised Neverland...and its Orwellian/impending-doom premise, to go with the cutesy Made In Abyss style facade, has definitely piqued my curiosity. Will give it a watch over this coming weekend, just hope it's not too nerve-wracking. ヾ(゚д゚)ノ゙

Cheers for the the suggestion, lads!

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
The first arc of Promised Neverland is a masterpiece, can't believe how good it was, but for me it's been going downhill after since, still good manga though
Still love it, but hasn't been the same since the "mama" came out the picture.

el3mel

Just finished watching Monster. Absolute masterpiece. Will be pretty hard for me to find anything similar with such great character and coherent psychological story.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Reading Kubera is a must. Each episode more question inducing than the last. Brilliant deception going on from every character. The type where you may need to re-read chapters you read months ago, to truly appreciate the detail of current chapters.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Just watched my first anime in One-Punch Man. Absolutely loved it. Found it so funny. Exactly my cup of tea. Season 2 seems to be coming out at the right time for me :lol:

Can anyone share some other anime with the same type of humour perhaps? My girlfriend and brother both recommend "Full Metal Alchemist" and "Attack on Titan" but say it's about the storyline there rather than the humour. I'll probably end up watching them but just want to carry on watching the comedic ones for now.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
  • Gintama
  • Durararrarararararararara
  • Great Teacher Onizuka
  • Prison School
  • Arakawa Under the Bridge
  • The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
  • Danna ga Nani o Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken
  • Hinamatsuri
  • Baka to Tesuto to Shōkanjū
  • Barakamon
  • Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Just watched my first anime in One-Punch Man. Absolutely loved it. Found it so funny. Exactly my cup of tea. Season 2 seems to be coming out at the right time for me :lol:

Can anyone share some other anime with the same type of humour perhaps? My girlfriend and brother both recommend "Full Metal Alchemist" and "Attack on Titan" but say it's about the storyline there rather than the humour. I'll probably end up watching them but just want to carry on watching the comedic ones for now.
You should like Hunter x Hunter which is similarly light hearted.

Gintama, Samurai Champaloo, Mob Psycho 100 or even go for the classics Dragon Ball Z.

el3mel

Except for the last Chimera arc, the rest of series is. And anyway that arc is boring and can be skipped.

Hunter Exam, Heaven Arena, Greed Island are all fun. Phantom Troupe less so, but still not dark at all.
Yorknew and Chimera arcs were pretty dark imo. Deaths in this anime are very painful and leave a real sour taste in your mouth.

Surprised you think Chimera arc was boring though, but opinions. All HxH fans, including me, consider it the pinnacle of the series and it's definitely the most arc that fits the "Hunters" theme of the anime. At the end of the day the Hunters organization was founded to search and find this kind of mysterious creatures and places.

Green island was the most boring arc for me tbh, because it was all talk, though the fights by its end was great and redeemed it a little bit.