Television The Caf' Anime Thread

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Yorknew and Chimera arcs were pretty dark imo. Deaths in this anime are very painful and leave a real sour taste in your mouth.

Surprised you think Chimera arc was boring though, but opinions. All HxH fans, including me, consider it the pinnacle of the series and it's definitely the most arc that fits the "Hunters" theme of the anime. At the end of the day the Hunters organization was founded to search and find this kind of mysterious creatures and places.

Green island was the most boring arc for me tbh, because it was all talk, though the fights by its end was great and redeemed it a little bit.
Chimera lacked fun of any kind. It was dark, brooding and mostly depressing. Felt like a standalone that was completely cut off from what made the previous arcs so loveable. I was feeling more relieved that the arc ended than satisfaction of having watched it. I've went back and repeat watched most episodes in other arcs again one time or other, but never Chimera.

Yorknew and Phantom Troupe are the same, right? Heaven Arena would have been my choice of best Arc.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Just watched my first anime in One-Punch Man. Absolutely loved it. Found it so funny. Exactly my cup of tea. Season 2 seems to be coming out at the right time for me :lol:

Can anyone share some other anime with the same type of humour perhaps? My girlfriend and brother both recommend "Full Metal Alchemist" and "Attack on Titan" but say it's about the storyline there rather than the humour. I'll probably end up watching them but just want to carry on watching the comedic ones for now.
Try Mob psycho 100 it's from the same creator as OPM.
Season 2 just finished

el3mel

Chimera lacked fun of any kind. It was dark, brooding and mostly depressing. Felt like a standalone that was completely cut off from what made the previous arcs so loveable. I was feeling more relieved that the arc ended than satisfaction of having watched it. I've went back and repeat watched most episodes in other arcs again one time or other, but never Chimera.

Yorknew and Phantom Troupe are the same, right? Heaven Arena would have been my choice of best Arc.
That what made it great actually. Maybe we have different tastes.

As I said, basically the only arc that fits perfectly in the "Hunters" theme of the story.

celia

And I thought that Hunter x Hunter was from the start quite cruel and violent. At least it gave the impression that fast and violent deaths weren't unusual. But I only read the manga, it may be more light-hearted in both of the anime versions.

The first anime of "Full Metal Alchemist" has its comedy moments but it is more drama and I am quite sure "Attack on Titan" is mostly drama.

Maybe try Fairy Tale or One Piece?

Drainy

Yorknew and Chimera arcs were pretty dark imo. Deaths in this anime are very painful and leave a real sour taste in your mouth.

Surprised you think Chimera arc was boring though, but opinions. All HxH fans, including me, consider it the pinnacle of the series and it's definitely the most arc that fits the "Hunters" theme of the anime. At the end of the day the Hunters organization was founded to search and find this kind of mysterious creatures and places.

Green island was the most boring arc for me tbh, because it was all talk, though the fights by its end was great and redeemed it a little bit.
Chimera Ant Arc is some of the best anime ever aired.

It's like a cross between the Nameck/Ginyu/Frieza Saga in DBZ and Fate/Zero.

Drainy

And I thought that Hunter x Hunter was from the start quite cruel and violent. At least it gave the impression that fast and violent deaths weren't unusual. But I only read the manga, it may be more light-hearted in both of the anime versions
I agree. The show is a bit of a subversion of Shounen - the over the top cruel and violent elements are portrayed as humorous or whimsical in the Hunter Exam and Greed Island arcs to make a point, while Chimera Ant was very much a tonal shift to make a wider point about the child shounen heroes who achieve everything by just trying their best and being the protagonist.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Same here. My favourite arc was Phantom Troupe. My runner up would be Hunter Arc.

Drainy

Same here. My favourite arc was Phantom Troupe. My runner up would be Hunter Arc.
For me it's

Chimera Ant - 9
Phantom Troupe - 8.5
Hunters Exam - 8.0
Heavens Arena - 8.0
Zoldyk - 7
Greed Island - 7

The troupe are fantastic it must be said.

I just think that Gon and Killua's failure was great, Shoot and Knuckle were brilliant, the growing threat of the Chimera ants over the course of half of the arc was compelling and the execution of the humanisation of the ants in the second, as well as the payoff of Gon's dark realisation that his actions have consequences were top level anime.

Obviously it wasn't perfect - lack of Kurapika, Hisoka and Leorio and it did take a bit of time to get going. Narrator was a debatable choice too.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
1. Heavens arena
2. Hunter exam
3. Chimera ants
4. Phantom troupe
5. Greed Island
6. Election
7. Zoldyck

1-5 are all good to great. Might switch around 2-4 as they are close for me.

el3mel

For me it's

Chimera Ant - 9
Phantom Troupe - 8.5
Hunters Exam - 8.0
Heavens Arena - 8.0
Zoldyk - 7
Greed Island - 7

The troupe are fantastic it must be said.

I just think that Gon and Killua's failure was great, Shoot and Knuckle were brilliant, the growing threat of the Chimera ants over the course of half of the arc was compelling and the execution of the humanisation of the ants in the second, as well as the payoff of Gon's dark realisation that his actions have consequences were top level anime.

Obviously it wasn't perfect - lack of Kurapika, Hisoka and Leorio and it did take a bit of time to get going. Narrator was a debatable choice too.
Exactly my same order.

Yagami

Good post resistant
You should like Hunter x Hunter which is similarly light hearted.

Gintama, Samurai Champaloo, Mob Psycho 100 or even go for the classics Dragon Ball Z.
Whilst this is great @Hernandez - BFA , if you want a more comedic show then you should probably start with Dragon Ball. I probably prefer Dragon Ball over Z (which I still love) to be honest.

As for Hunter X Hunter, I lost interest in it when Gon and Killua split up from Kurapika and Leorio.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Just watched my first anime in One-Punch Man. Absolutely loved it. Found it so funny. Exactly my cup of tea. Season 2 seems to be coming out at the right time for me :lol:

Can anyone share some other anime with the same type of humour perhaps? My girlfriend and brother both recommend "Full Metal Alchemist" and "Attack on Titan" but say it's about the storyline there rather than the humour. I'll probably end up watching them but just want to carry on watching the comedic ones for now.
"Assassination Classroom" might be suited to your taste

lawliet354

Kimetsu no Yaiba is now on episode 2 and the animation is amazing, I love the manga as well, probably one of my favorite title in Jump right now. Too bad One Punch Man season 2 have huge quality drop in the animation, such a stupid move by whoever in charge is to give season 2 to J.C Staff instead of sticking with Madhouse

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Don't watch if you haven't finished the Chimera Arc. I actually watch HXH subbed, but came across the following as a YT suggestion
I think the dubbed voices sound great.

el3mel

Don't watch if you haven't finished the Chimera Arc. I actually watch HXH subbed, but came across the following as a YT suggestion
I think the dubbed voices sound great.
I have heard some of the dubbed parts on Youtube and even though I can't withstand them I think they did well as the English voice actors have very similar voice tone to the Japanese actors.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
That scene in black clover though.:drool:
Luck turning 100% psycho on him. :devil:

Art

Art the artist
@Invictus Been keeping up with One Piece ? Wano is turning out to be an amazing arc with the way Oda is setting it up.

Zoro finally getting some action :lol:

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
@Invictus Been keeping up with One Piece ? Wano is turning out to be an amazing arc with the way Oda is setting it up.

Zoro finally getting some action :lol:
Nooooope! Act II of Wano was fairly ponderous to begin with (in contrast with the briskness of Reverie, and the second half of Act I where the tension was palpable), so I've decided to put One Piece on hold till the end of the year for read-in-one-go purposes. :)

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
BTW, @Art, I stumbled across a few One Piece related fan channels a week or so ago, and some of the analytical videos are really detailed and thought-provoking — and make you see what's essentially a battle-manga in different light (if you're into that kind of beneath-the-surface stuff)!

e.g. These delve into the metaphorical and thematic relevance of the Sun and the Sea in the One Piece world, and further illuminate Oda's genius as a writer...

Art

Art the artist
BTW, @Art, I stumbled across a few One Piece related fan channels a week or so ago, and some of the analytical videos are really detailed and thought-provoking — and make you see what's essentially a battle-manga in different light (if you're into that kind of beneath-the-surface stuff)!

e.g. These delve into the metaphorical and thematic relevance of the Sun and the Sea in the One Piece world, and further illuminate Oda's genius as a writer...

Haha long time subscriber of Mr.Morj here. I love his stuff. Super underrated :D

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Actually enjoying the rise of the shield hero. Bit harem of course, but otherwise enjoyable.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
New volume of berserk is out.
Of course not fun to not get Casca this time around. A bit of politics & a semi-reveal of Femto as the Moonlight boy.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Last summer, I read Dr Stone. It's still ongoing. It's going to have it's own anime adaptation. The protagonist is more Shikamaru than Naruto, if you catch my drift.

P.s @Invictus Can you ban me for 1 month please?

Edit - Response to what you quoted - Trying to avoid procrastination. Sure, thanks

Last edited:

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
P.s @Invictus Can you ban me for 1 month please?
Wut, that's random! Ok, I'll ban you for a month in a few hours. Please get in touch with Caf's Twitter account if you want to return at an earlier date. :)

Suv666

Watching Kaiji and loving it so far. Can anyone recommend similar animes? Like Death Note, Psycho Pass, Monster and Steins Gate. Bascially less action stuff and more psychological and story driven?

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Watching Kaiji and loving it so far. Can anyone recommend similar animes? Like Death Note, Psycho Pass, Monster and Steins Gate. Bascially less action stuff and more psychological and story driven?
  • Texhnolyze
  • Now and Then, Here and There
  • Shin Sekai Yori
  • Puella Magi Madoka Magika
  • Darker than Black
  • Aku no Hana
  • Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
  • Serial Experiments Lain
  • GHOST HOUND

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Right, I'm just going to throw this chaos bomb in here: Itachi is the greatest anime character of all time.

*drops mic.

:D

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Right, I'm just going to throw this chaos bomb in here: Itachi is the greatest anime character of all time.

*drops mic.

:D
I like Itachi, too — well written for the most part, great personality of mystery throughout Naruto I, probably the most philosophically flawed character in the verse, the outstanding genius of the pre-NaruSasu generation (which set him apart like Minato in terms of sheer hype), and his past was truly heart-wrenching (which made him a very likable character from a sentimental standpoint) — but Kishimoto went too far with some of the Anime Jesus I <3 Sasu-kun representations, IMO, and that kinda ruined the character for me (whereas Ace was consistently good in One Piece). Still one of my favorites, but more in the general Nagato/Shikamaru/Hashirama/Kakashi tier of greatness, and not the standout #1.

Um...looking at that mini-list, Kishimoto is terrible with the development of kunoichi (and Oda/Toriyama/Kubo are really bad at developing good female characters, too). Yeah, shōnen manga are meant to be read by boys, but can they not develop even one truly great character of the opposite gender? You get the same tropes of well-endowed fan service characters like Tsunade/Matsumoto, low-confidence quasi-yandere like Hinata/Inoue and characters that had potential but weren't given the scope to shine on a frequent basis like Kushina/Robin. I'd like to read shōnen where they are as well written/developed or intriguing as Itachi/Shanks/Ulquiorra, please!

Ibi Dreams

Akagi (written by the same guy who made Kaiji) is pretty similar and also very good

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I like Itachi, too — well written for the most part, great personality of mystery throughout Naruto I, probably the most philosophically flawed character in the verse, the outstanding genius of the pre-NaruSasu generation (which set him apart like Minato in terms of sheer hype), and his past was truly heart-wrenching (which made him a very likable character from a sentimental standpoint) — but Kishimoto went too far with some of the Anime Jesus I <3 Sasu-kun representations, IMO, and that kinda ruined the character for me (whereas Ace was consistently good in One Piece). Still one of my favorites, but more in the general Nagato/Shikamaru/Hashirama/Kakashi tier of greatness, and not the standout #1.

Um...looking at that mini-list, Kishimoto is terrible with the development of kunoichi (and Oda/Toriyama/Kubo are really bad at developing good female characters, too). Yeah, shōnen manga are meant to be read by boys, but can they not develop even one truly great character of the opposite gender? You get the same tropes of well-endowed fan service characters like Tsunade/Matsumoto, low-confidence quasi-yandere like Hinata/Inoue and characters that had potential but weren't given the scope to shine on a frequent basis like Kushina/Robin. I'd like to read shōnen where they are as well written/developed or intriguing as Itachi/Shanks/Ulquiorra, please!
Good calls with Shanks and Ulquiorra! When you say he went too far, are there any particular scenes/passages you are referring to?

I just love the depth of the character and the way he drip fed his genius to his brother and those he deemed a threat in the grand scheme.

I've never even thought about the issue you raise regarding the females - you're right, though.

So, is there a #1 for you, or more a tier you can't really put one character above others in?