Television The Caf' Anime Thread

Yagami

Good post resistant
I can't with Boruto.

I know Naruto fans hate comparisons to Dragon Ball, but Kishimoto really should have took note of how Toriyama handled Z.

What I mean by that is how Toriyama went about promoting Gohan to the protagonist before carrying on with the Buu saga and reverting back to Goku. He did not weaken Goku, he actually made him stronger from Dragon Ball and brought Gohan up to his level through multiple sagas until he finally took over by beating Cell. With Boruto, Naruto and Sasuke are just nerfed to oblivion in order to make Boruto the hero and it just leaves a sour taste. They're either losing their powers or aren't using the powers they still have to the fullest extent because Kishimoto regrets making them as strong as he did.

That's just the story side. On the art side, the manga is so simple compared to how Naruto and Shippuden were drawn. It just doesn't feel like there's any effort going into it. Same with Dragon Ball Supers manga compared to the original and Z.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I'm only waiting for Dragonball Super 2. I dont think I can ever get tired of DB.

RedDevilQuebecois

I can't with Boruto.

I know Naruto fans hate comparisons to Dragon Ball, but Kishimoto really should have took note of how Toriyama handled Z.

What I mean by that is how Toriyama went about promoting Gohan to the protagonist before carrying on with the Buu saga and reverting back to Goku. He did not weaken Goku, he actually made him stronger from Dragon Ball and brought Gohan up to his level through multiple sagas until he finally took over by beating Cell. With Boruto, Naruto and Sasuke are just nerfed to oblivion in order to make Boruto the hero and it just leaves a sour taste. They're either losing their powers or aren't using the powers they still have to the fullest extent because Kishimoto regrets making them as strong as he did.

That's just the story side. On the art side, the manga is so simple compared to how Naruto and Shippuden were drawn. It just doesn't feel like there's any effort going into it. Same with Dragon Ball Supers manga compared to the original and Z.
I have to say first that I could not get hooked for real on Naruto/Boruto, but I also understand how and why it can be that attractive though. It's just a matter of a personal choice. Nevertheless, I also noticed what you pointed out here about the mishandling of top characters in the sequel. For the little that I could catch and compare between the 2 series, I was also taken aback by how far Naruto and Sasuke regressed as warriors when they should be serving as the gold standard that Boruto must match and then exceed. Hence I also wonder if Kishimoto created Boruto with only half of his heart in it because fans asked for more when he should have put the final exclamation mark where he wanted it to be.

From my recent experience with Demon Slayer (I know it's only one main series without spin-offs and so on, but still...), what I really like is seeing how the main character - Tanjiro started from basically nothing and eventually became about as if not more powerful than all of the allies he would meet along the way. When manga readers and anime viewers first met the 9 Hashira (or pillars), we thought that it would be near impossible for Tanjiro to match let alone surpass the aforementioned Hashira as a fellow member of the demon slayer corps. But the arrival of more powerful demons and Tanjiro's infallible efforts to protect his own sister Nezuko pushed him to become stronger time and time again. The Hashira did not lose their powers as they became less and less of a match against those upper ranked demons in those same battles; they only met their respective ceilings.

The moral of the story: in order to make a main character's growth believable as a fighter, you must always introduce increasingly stronger opponents or enemies without nerfing existing top allies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I've never watched/read Demon Slayer, @RedDevilQuebecois , but I completely agree with your point. Your bit about Kishimoto's heart being in it is something I've seen a lot of fans question. I've heard the theory that because Samurai 8 - his manga he did after Naruto ended - failed, he kinds of resents going back to Naruto. I don't think it's so much resentment rather than, I dunno, disappointment that he can't move on from the series. Plus, like Toriyama with Super, I think there's a lot more outside influence going into the story.

Another vital thing is you need your character to actually be likable. Back to Gohan, although he wasn't as popular as Goku, he was still universally liked so that transition wasn't really negatively received. Boruto really hasn't been likable at all. I don't know if any of the new gen are that liked, honestly. The only time I've seen hype for the series is when Naruto and Sasuke teamed up to face Momoshiki, which I enjoyed myself.

Like, I'm no fan of Dragon Ball Super, but they knew what they had with Goku and Vegeta (even though they've regressed as characters rather than in strength). Naruto and Sasuke are just a shadow of themselves, and....

It looks like Sasuke is being killed off so I don't think it's going to get any better :(

Selbourne

The live adaptation of One Piece has just came out on Netflix. Watched the first episode of it and really enjoyed it

Hamnat

The live adaptation of One Piece has just came out on Netflix. Watched the first episode of it and really enjoyed it
I don't know anything about the anime. But, on episode 5 of the Netflix show and I find it fun.

RedDevilQuebecois

If some of you are fans of anime and racing at the same time, this series titled Overtake! looks very promising for you.

This is a dive in the world of F4 Japanese Championship, which is the first step for junior Japanese drivers as they push towards the dream of making it to Formula 1. In real life, Yuki Tsunoda is the first Japanese driver who made it from Formula 4 all the way to Formula 1.

First episode is set to premiere on October 1st.

Last edited:

lawliet354

I don't know anything about the anime. But, on episode 5 of the Netflix show and I find it fun.
I watched it with my wife who barely knows anything about One Piece as well, and she loved it. Only watched 2 episodes so far, we planned on finishing it on Saturday night.

Cannot believe I got to live to witness a live action adaptation of One Piece, and actually enjoy it

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
@Rasendori & @Invictus , you guys tried the live action One Piece yet?
I enjoyed it. Thankfully they cut out all the overlong balling and tears. But also cut out the full fights, e.g.

The fight with the cat pirate where he uses his super speed slash superpower was omitted. The fight with Arlong where Luffy is thrown to the bottom of the sea is missing too.

I'm still looking forward to more, not sure these kids can stay young enough to carry on for too many series. :lol:

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
@Rasendori & @Invictus , you guys tried the live action One Piece yet?
Honestly, don't care for live action adaptations.

The effort is somewhat admirable, but often poorly executed. And comes across as fan made, than actual professionals. Dragon Ball Z and Bleach comes to mind.

It was only when I read the comments of Hamnat & Lawliet that I decided to give it a chance, as they gave the impression that its good in its own right, to the point those unfamiliar with the context (anime/manga) were able to enjoy it. So, I watched the first episode 2nd September ...
First impression being I was impressed with the casting of Koby, as the actor skilfully conveyed his reticence and timidity with not only his body language and facial expressions, but also mannerisms in the melody of his voice, imbuing the character with an endearing quality that drew me in, as his burgeoning confidence was a captivating parallel to the unfolding narrative in Luffy's escalating stature. This contrasts with my first impression of the first anime episode where it was Luffy's confident demeanour, and youthful exuberance that drew me in, which had me drawing comparisons to Naruto which at the time was the only anime I had experienced, other than Dragon Ball Z.

Speaking of Luffy ... playing the protagonist of one of the most iconic anime is a difficult undertake ... In a coming-of-age story where the protagonist embodies an unwavering spirit in the face of adversity, inspiring hope in those around him, it would have been pivotal for the actor to infuse their speech with a cadence that resonated with the character's profound conviction, thus complementing the impressive strength of his devilish abilities. From my perspective, the actor's speech cadence didn't quite match the character's unwavering conviction.

It's worth highlighting that while Luffy's portrayal left room for improvement in terms of cadence, there was another character who unquestionably stood out to me, and set a high standard for their role. That for me was Nami. Piracy and deception are inextricably linked, and the actress's ability to seamlessly embody her character's level of deception added an extra layer of authenticity and depth to her performance. This was especially important for me, as Arlong Park is my top three arcs in the entire series (on episode 1004).

Given the pacing of the series, it was always going to be difficult capturing important nuances in the Arlong Park arc. One notable example being Sanji not fighting the fishman, Kuroobi underwater in the live action version, as opposed to the anime adaptation. Presumably they left out the friendly fire on Usopp to make the show have more universal appeal. The iconic walk being my favourite scene in the series was cut short. These three moments (left out) of the top of my ahead contributed heavily to not only the emotional rollercoaster, but also the character development and cohesion of the crew.

With that being said, I enjoyed the series overall and each episode had me anticipating the next. I look forward to the next season, as it exceeded my expectations.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I enjoyed it. Thankfully they cut out all the overlong balling and tears. But also cut out the full fights, e.g.

The fight with the cat pirate where he uses his super speed slash superpower was omitted. The fight with Arlong where Luffy is thrown to the bottom of the sea is missing too.

I'm still looking forward to more, not sure these kids can stay young enough to carry on for too many series. :lol:
I actually forgot you were into anime!

I've only seen the first few minutes of the pilot. I'll give it this: at least it's trying to honour it's source material unlike the typical Western anime adaptions. I plan on watching more due to all the praise I'm hearing but, to me, it felt like a fan film rather than a big budget Netflix production. I got a strong amateur feel, but I'll take that any day over something like Dragonball Evolution.

It's a good note about the actors ages! That's something Warner Bros are probably the best examples of with their casting for Harry Potter.
Zenzen. It might have some artistic merit, but I'm going to pretend that it does not exist (for a myriad reasons).
Considering how big a fan you are of One Piece, I had a feeling you might avoid it. As I said to @Dumbstar , at least it's not an insult to the actual source material which is a huge win in today's media.

Honestly, don't care for live action adaptations.

The effort is somewhat admirable, but often poorly executed. And comes across as fan made, than actual professionals. Dragon Ball Z and Bleach comes to mind.

It was only when I read the comments of Hamnat & Lawliet that I decided to give it a chance, as they gave the impression that its good in its own right, to the point those unfamiliar with the context (anime/manga) were able to enjoy it. So, I watched the first episode 2nd September ...
First impression being I was impressed with the casting of Koby, as the actor skilfully conveyed his reticence and timidity with not only his body language and facial expressions, but also mannerisms in the melody of his voice, imbuing the character with an endearing quality that drew me in, as his burgeoning confidence was a captivating parallel to the unfolding narrative in Luffy's escalating stature. This contrasts with my first impression of the first anime episode where it was Luffy's confident demeanour, and youthful exuberance that drew me in, which had me drawing comparisons to Naruto which at the time was the only anime I had experienced, other than Dragon Ball Z.

Speaking of Luffy ... playing the protagonist of one of the most iconic anime is a difficult undertake ... In a coming-of-age story where the protagonist embodies an unwavering spirit in the face of adversity, inspiring hope in those around him, it would have been pivotal for the actor to infuse their speech with a cadence that resonated with the character's profound conviction, thus complementing the impressive strength of his devilish abilities. From my perspective, the actor's speech cadence didn't quite match the character's unwavering conviction.

It's worth highlighting that while Luffy's portrayal left room for improvement in terms of cadence, there was another character who unquestionably stood out to me, and set a high standard for their role. That for me was Nami. Piracy and deception are inextricably linked, and the actress's ability to seamlessly embody her character's level of deception added an extra layer of authenticity and depth to her performance. This was especially important for me, as Arlong Park is my top three arcs in the entire series (on episode 1004).

Given the pacing of the series, it was always going to be difficult capturing important nuances in the Arlong Park arc. One notable example being Sanji not fighting the fishman, Kuroobi underwater in the live action version, as opposed to the anime adaptation. Presumably they left out the friendly fire on Usopp to make the show have more universal appeal. The iconic walk being my favourite scene in the series was cut short. These three moments (left out) of the top of my ahead contributed heavily to not only the emotional rollercoaster, but also the character development and cohesion of the crew.

With that being said, I enjoyed the series overall and each episode had me anticipating the next. I look forward to the next season, as it exceeded my expectations.
Cheers for the reply!

Your comments about the Luffy actor reflect my current feelings on him, too. He doesn't really feel like Luffy. I haven't met the others yet bar him and Koby.

I'm disappointed about the scenes you mentioned that were cut. Or cut short in the Arlong walk scenes case. Like you, that may be my favourite scene in the series, and I feel like, for many, that was the scene along with the Nami one preceeding it that made you fully attach your emotional investment into the series.

Wing Attack Plan R

Balling or bawling?

criticalanalysis

Zenzen. It might have some artistic merit, but I'm going to pretend that it does not exist (for a myriad reasons).
Curious as to why?

If you're a superfan and worship everything of the One Piece world then it's inevitably going to disappoint but if you temper your expectations and give it a chance, I'd say you'll be surprised. I'm only an anime watcher but I can say it's made with a lot of love, a lot of respect and as far as adapting something as impossible as this, it does a really good job. The word and marketing of Oda being heavily involved himself isn't just lip service imo. The live action has flaws and is far from perfect but in this medium, it is a very worthy adaptation. If anything, it made me appreciate and reminisce about when I was watching the anime the first time around over a decade ago.

RedDevilQuebecois

If you are a fan of the Onimusha game series or just the samurai vs. demons genre, you will happy to see that Takashi Miike is the one directing this new series on Netflix. The protagonist, Musashi Miyamoto has been modeled after the late Japanese legend that was Toshiro Mifune (Rashomon, Seven Samurai, the Samurai trilogy, Throne of Blood, The Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo, Midway, 1941, Shogun).

dinostar77

Just finished latest season of Kengan Ashura. Incredible fighting. Best fighting anime ive seen. Love this series. Much better than Baki and Record of Ragnorock.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Had anime instrumentals as the background music while working from home, and Made in Abyss caught my attention (haven't seen the anime) which brings me to my question ... What anime has a soundtrack that you can vouch for? Can be one song/ost in the anime if you like,

RedDevilQuebecois

Had anime instrumentals as the background music while working from home, and Made in Abyss caught my attention (haven't seen the anime) which brings me to my question ... What anime has a soundtrack that you can vouch for? Can be one song/ost in the anime if you like,
So many of them as it depends on your favorite style or genre, TBF. But if I have to give you my very top OSTs and their main composers, I'd say from oldest to newest:
  • The Vision of Escaflowne (by Yoko Kanno)
  • Clannad and Clannad: After Story (by Jun Maeda)
  • Sword Art Online (by Yuki Kajiura)
  • Attack on Titan (by Hiroyuki Sawano)
  • Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (by Go Shiina and Yuki Kajiura)
Background music used in anime can really elevate a scene into something more powerful, but there is that one individual song that elevated a scene to God-tier masterpiece level. The song is titled Kamado Tanjiro no Uta (Tanjiro Kamado's song) and the song appeared in a scene where Tanjiro discovered a new power of his own when everything seemed lost. This is the closest to the actual full scene which I can find for you. Enjoy the listen.

AaronRedDevil

The final 2 chapters of Attack on Titan are out and I don't know which one I should subscribe to. Crunchyroll or Funimation. I prefer if it has Eng dub along with eng subtitles. But as long as there eng subs, I'm grand. Which one would be best?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The final 2 chapters of Attack on Titan are out and I don't know which one I should subscribe to. Crunchyroll or Funimation. I prefer if it has Eng dub along with eng subtitles. But as long as there eng subs, I'm grand. Which one would be best?
I’ll be watching it later I think. Looking forward to it. Basically a movie length.

AaronRedDevil

I’ll be watching it later I think. Looking forward to it. Basically a movie length.
Yeah my friend read the comics and he's hoping it's as good. Can't wait to see it. I'll be watching it Friday when ive time. Which of those 2 apps you using?

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I thought the ending was awful. A shame cause I really enjoyed AoT, but I think it declined a lot after the timeskip.

Ekeke

Attack on Titan ending :

I wasnt very impressed either. It doesnt help that its been drawn out so long, but the ideas they went with were pretty much Lelouch from Code Geass - unite everyone against me and have the people I care about kill me and be the respected heroes to take care of things plus Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen power where past, present and future are happening all at once for Eren and he has the power to change memories. Because its been done, with Code Geass doing 1 part in anime and the Watchmen show was only like 2019 its like... It really just feels like copied homework to me. Obvious the Watchmen comic is from the 80s, but my point is that its been done recently in a show so trying to do the same thing years later doesnt seem great. Now obviously AOT is an anime mainly for the Japanese people and Watchmen was an American show so the audience probably hadnt seen it or read the comic.

Overall I'd still say AOT is a good anime but more around a 7.5/10 and not as good as I hoped it would be when it started

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Steinsgate, Darker than Black, Death Parade.

More recently Jigokuraku.
I hadn't even heard of Jigokuraku until I read your comment a couple weeks back. I watched the first episode to gauge the soundtrack, I felt the opening music was decent, but nothing special and then continued watching episode 1 to see if the soundtrack itself was good. First episode, I wasn't impressed with the music, so I gave episode 2 a chance and then I was like, screw the soundtrack this anime is golden. The OST may be meh, but the enemies are intimidating, I would go as far as saying the enemies are more intimidating/impressive than the Akatsuki (Naruto) and Espada's (Bleach). And the power level system isn't quite Hunter x Hunter levels, but I would put the power system a tier below in the same playing field as Demon Slayer. The enemies and the power level system are standout features to me. Cheers for suggesting, even if I didn't rate the music.

@RedDevilQuebecois Cheers, will address your response in a bit

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
If Attack on Titan is genuinely finished, I may need to avoid using the internet for November. Can't risk spoilers, especially on YT Shorts which has very random videos, could easily pop up.

Damn, haven't even watched Season 4. I guess I'll watch the movie which captures Season 1-3 to remind myself of what happens, then watch all the episodes of Season 4 Part 1 and Season 4 Part 2, and then watch the ending that people are talking about here.

roseguy64

Attack on Titan ending :

I wasnt very impressed either. It doesnt help that its been drawn out so long, but the ideas they went with were pretty much Lelouch from Code Geass - unite everyone against me and have the people I care about kill me and be the respected heroes to take care of things plus Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen power where past, present and future are happening all at once for Eren and he has the power to change memories. Because its been done, with Code Geass doing 1 part in anime and the Watchmen show was only like 2019 its like... It really just feels like copied homework to me. Obvious the Watchmen comic is from the 80s, but my point is that its been done recently in a show so trying to do the same thing years later doesnt seem great. Now obviously AOT is an anime mainly for the Japanese people and Watchmen was an American show so the audience probably hadnt seen it or read the comic.

Overall I'd still say AOT is a good anime but more around a 7.5/10 and not as good as I hoped it would be when it started
Still 10/10 for me despite that.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
The anime is a lot better than the manga although I had hopes they would change some stuff for the anime ending but is still pretty much the same. I still hate the ending and I wouldn't bother reading the manga if you just watched the anime. For me it was a pretty good anime up until season 3 then it really felt short to expectations and went in a weird direction. All in all is a good anime series overall but it had potential to be more than good.

Revan

Assumptionman
Liked the final episode in AoT, but as others have said, overextending the final season did not help at all. Still liked it a lot, and also the credit scenes were pretty interesting, either leaving things to imagination (with a clear hint of what is happening) or paving the way for a new anime.

The first season was absolutely brilliant, one of the best things I have ever watched. I think I watched it entirely in a day or something. The second season with the great hunt was great too, but I think the quality got much lower after the time jump.

Still, it is there with Death Note for me as the best anime I have ever watched.

stoinz

just finished watching season 1 of Blue Eye Samurai on Netflix. Reminded me a bit of Kill Bill. The story is great and the fight scenes has to be one of the best on animation so far. The animation style and direction has been top notch in my opinion. Very violent, loads of gore and sex but not excessive to what the story needs. 9/10 for.

Last edited:

RedDevilQuebecois

just finished watching season 1 of Blue Eye Samurai on Netflix. Reminded me a bit of Kill Bill. The story is great and the fight scenes has to be one of the best on animation so far. The animation style and direction has been top notch in my opinion. Very violent, loads of gore and sex but not excessive to what the story needs. 9/10 for.
I started watching it yesterday and I got hooked up almost immediately. It is VERY good indeed.

AaronRedDevil

Finally watched the AOT finale. Its sad I'll never love an anime like this. I feel like it's peaked now and there's nothing else that will top it. Its amazing, the characters are all brilliant. Levi is just the best. I love how he's still a beast after all he's been through. Gabi and the the boy surprised me this time. Hated Gabi after shooting...we you know who...Im happy with the ending even though its somewhat divisive. 2 and a half hours of epicness!

AaronRedDevil

Has anyone watched Steins Gate? 2 things. Is it any good? And can I watch SG 0 before the original or should I start from the beginning.