The Caf has feck all idea about formations/tactics

Andersons Dietician

Mods how do people not just get insta banned or warnings for creating threads like this. Its not done to make conversation or debate a topic but purely to start an argument.

Widow

It's absolutely cafs fault for our dire form... We should all be ashamed!

Ole must be looking over his shoulder. Everton & Southampton away to come... Telling times

spiriticon

Didn't improve enough because he didn't follow that up with a personnel change
Why should he waste subs without analysing whether the current players on the pitch react well to it first?

Substitutes don't mean instant positivity

Ace of Spades

0-0 was always the best bet on this game because of how compact Arsenal are. It likely would have been if it were not for Pogba.
Pretty much, it was always going to be a close game. Arsenal have shored up their defence well, and without Martial we were not going to play three up front.

lilcurt

The clamouring for a diamond from 4-4-2 Diamond, the brazen way they spoke of the upcoming game as though it would be a walk in the park, the same goes for when they speak about our best line-up.

It can't be any coincidence that when the caf is confident, we end up losing.

I know it should be obvious that internet forum users aren't professionals but they speak as though they are.
Diamond wasn't the problem today, the players the manager decided to play in it and the mentality we went out with was. I and many identified that before the first whistle. Donny should have started for Mctominay, Matic for Fred.

Then after seeing the game go south, he waits until we go behind before really changing things. To compound it he then takes the wrong players off.

Not a proper manager.

Fooza

Why should he waste subs without analysing whether the current players on the pitch react well to it first?

Substitutes don't mean instant positivity
After that first half, anything would have been positive after..

Why waste subs when you bring them on so late? That's the question you should be asking, Matic was 62th but that sub was never going to improve us attacking wise

VDB and Cavani on 75 minutes with just 15 minutes to get us something, that's pathetic.

Sometimes it isn't the formation at the start that's the problem, it's the ability for a manager to react quickly to change things if it wasn't working and Ole struggled.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Ole also has feck all ideas about formation/tactics.

we can’t string runs together. Got a new manager bounce and then covid haulted/saved our horrendous league campaign.

spiriticon

After that first half, anything would have been positive after..

Why waste subs when you bring them on so late? That's the question you should be asking, Matic was 62th but that sub was never going to improve us attacking wise

VDB and Cavani on 75 minutes with just 15 minutes to get us something, that's pathetic.

Sometimes it isn't the formation at the start that's the problem, it's the ability for a manager to react quickly to change things if it wasn't working and Ole struggled.
62 and 75th minutes is the average time subs are made isn't it?

Very rarely do subs get made at half time because you if you suddenly get injuries you are fecked for the whole second half.

Fooza

62 and 75th minutes is the average time subs are made isn't it?

Very rarely do subs get made at half time because you if you suddenly get injuries you are fecked for the whole second half.
Not sure what game you're watching mate, we rarely created any clear cut chances until very late in the game, that calls for early subs or changes to at least try and see if we could create more chances.

Nothing to do with average time changes, that game Arsenal had so many more chances that us and we were the HOME team. We lucky enough not to be 2-0 down by half time.

Why wasn't Ole reactive when Arsenal dominated us?

Carolina Red

Staff
The clamouring for a diamond from 4-4-2 Diamond, the brazen way they spoke of the upcoming game as though it would be a walk in the park, the same goes for when they speak about our best line-up.

I know it should be obvious that internet forum users aren't professionals but they speak as though they are.
I blame FIFA (the game, not the org.)

spiriticon

Not sure what game you're watching mate, we rarely created any clear cut chances until very late in the game, that calls for early subs or changes to at least try and see if we could create more chances.

Nothing to do with average time changes, that game Arsenal had so many more chances that us and we were the HOME team.

Why wasn't Ole reactive when Arsenal dominated us?
For me the second half we were the better team. Immediately broke their dominance and become more defensively solid and as the game wore on we started to get more and more into it, so much so that Arteta had to go full on Bolton style defending for the last 30 minutes.

The second half wasn't the issue, the first half was the issue but it was indeed sorted at half time.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
The OP may be right, but tonight we weren't let down by formation, but rather by team selection.

Before the penalty it felt like playing with ten men. Pogba added nothing to us going forward, defending or retaining the ball.

After he conceded the penalty it felt like we were 10 men playing against 12.

Nitewolf

Pile of wank because Ole also decided to move Fred away from the role that suited him and McTominay in a box to box.

It's not just play a diamond and job done - you need horses for courses. McTominay was absolutely shite in the diamond, and it was screaming for Fred in the box to box role. In the end we got absolutely swallowed in midfield, because Scott had feck all contribution in the box to box.

Swap Fred and Scott (like he should have) or play the same diamond he did vs Leipzig. He took out Matic moved Fred to another role which completely fecked us
It has nothing to do with personnel. It's the formation itself.

A diamond midfield puts your FB in a 1v2 all day long cause there's no width in midfield or attack. So the DM tend to leave his position to cover weakening the midfield, or the CF will come down to close down his WB (which is what we ended up doing) and making the chances of a fast attacking transitions weaker cause your CF is in cover his FB.

Same thing happended to Tottenham against Arsenal back in 2018 when they lost 4-2, Poch played a diamond against Emery's 3-4-3. Arsenal came on top a very good Tottenham 4-2.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
It can work against some teams, but Arsenals 343 was always going to be tricky, it literally gives you space in the wide areas and nothing in midfield.

Tactically we were just naive to play this way and you have to question whether ole and the staff know what they’re doing.
352 today imo.

Bwuk

No top team changes formations and tactics as often as us. It shows how clueless a side we are.

Nitewolf

The idea that one formation is the best is naive, you have a specific style of play, formation are chosen based on your opponents and the best way to nullify their strength and give you positional advantages. If you fixed your formation then team can figure our before the game how to crack you down.

Not only do teams know our formation ahead. Ole voluntarily told the press that SAF told the best time to make a sub is between 60th and 70th minutes!! And he clearly adheres to that.

Fooza

For me the second half we were the better team. Immediately broke their dominance and become more defensively solid and as the game wore on we started to get more and more into it, so much so that Arteta had to go full on Bolton style defending for the last 30 minutes.

The second half wasn't the issue, the first half was the issue but it was indeed sorted at half time.
That's where we differ....for me it's far too late in my opinion. Not at home too, if we were the away team I'd have said everything of the above would be a good game plan.

fergosaurus

Must admit, I wanted us to stick with the diamond and even thought Pogba was going to play well as the formation suited him. :nervous:

spiriticon

That's where we differ....for me it's far too late in my opinion. Not at home too, if we were the away team I'd have said everything of the above would be a good game plan.
Fair enough. I personally am not a big fan of half time subs, because one or two serious injuries and you are playing with 10 men.

el3mel

No one talks here as some sort of expert. We're just expressing opinions, opinions! That's all.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It has nothing to do with personnel. It's the formation itself.

A diamond midfield puts your FB in a 1v2 all day long cause there's no width in midfield or attack. So the DM tend to leave his position to cover weakening the midfield, or the CF will come down to close down his WB (which is what we ended up doing) and making the chances of a fast attacking transitions weaker cause your CF is in cover his FB.

Same thing happended to Tottenham against Arsenal back in 2018 when they lost 4-2, Poch played a diamond against Emery's 3-4-3. Arsenal came on top a very good Tottenham 4-2.
The diamond was fine - the problem was arsenal pressed our midfielders and they couldn't carry it out, because the wrong players were put in the wrong positions. We constantly saw McTominay hide in midfield rather than operate the box to box, and Fred wasn't suited to the holding role. This caused Bruno to drop deeper and try and orchestrate which he wasn't great at either.

If you had even Matic for McTominay and Fred back in the box to box, there would be a vast vast change in our performance.

Nitewolf

The diamond was fine - the problem was arsenal pressed our midfielders and they couldn't carry it out, because the wrong players were put in the wrong positions. We constantly saw McTominay hide in midfield rather than operate the box to box, and Fred wasn't suited to the holding role. This caused Bruno to drop deeper and try and orchestrate which he wasn't great at either.

If you had even Matic for McTominay and Fred back in the box to box, there would be a vast vast change in our performance.
Did you read my post!?

acnumber9

Are you surprised? You can’t play football without width. Against a team that wanted to squeeze us up the pitch, playing narrow was playing right into their hands.

MattofManchester

Only ones left are those calling for Solksjaer's early 4-3-3, which has been lost and is now searching for a new home

Yagami

Good post resistant
:lol:

United broke me a long time ago.
I know the feeling, bro.

After @FrankDrebin mentioned it, I've decided to watch Battle Royale tonight to paper over this. Nothing like a bunch of Japanese school children fighting to the death to cheer ones self up!
Will put him 2 points down for the funniest poster award.

Still, seriously threatening Messi/Ronaldo era (Steve/pigeon), mind you.
:D

@SteveJ isn't helping himself by pulling this Houdini act!

joedirt87

The problem is not the formation. It's the mentality and playing style that dictate your shape as a team. Playing 4-3-3 wouldn't suddenly turn a shit team to a prime Barcelona. It doesn't help when your manager plays like underdogs all the time and looking to play on the counter no matter what the formation or the opposition is.

Our strongest area of the pitch is our midfield and diamond helps us to fit our midfielders into a formation. Also we don't have quality wingers(Neither Rashford nor Greenwood is wingers) unless you count Daniel James or Mata as quality wingers. So it makes perfect sense to use diamond and use your better players. Only downside of the diamond is our defensive fullbacks. Dalot & Telles would've been a better choice of full backs in the diamond. But one is out with Covid and the other one is in Milan. I don't know why.

Also 4-2-3-1 was not bettter than this. People hated that too and rightly so.

my thoughts as well. i like the diamond for what we have currently, but if were gonna sit in our own half trying to counter instead of taking it to teams like this then we're not gonna take a step forward.

GenZRed

Most, including me expected a win today but I don't think anyone thought it would be a walk in the park.

The second bolded part does seem true though.