The centre-forward market...

Bojan Djordjic

Still very much on the Osimhen train,yes he's not a goal machine like Haaland but like his pace and strength on counter through the middle
Yeah, I'd be all over this chap. I think the only thing preventing him from being a goal machine has been his lack of fortune with illness and injury. He's as good a young striker as there is behind Mbappe and Haaland.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Yeah, I'd be all over this chap. I think the only thing preventing him from being a goal machine has been his lack of fortune with illness and injury. He's as good a young striker as there is behind Mbappe and Haaland.
As far as players that are gettable, albeit for 100m+, he's the one. If United could get him, then it's a much more dangerous team all of the sudden and goals will absolutely come. He's ridiculously good when he's fit.

Skills

Snitch
As far as players that are gettable, albeit for 100m+, he's the one. If United could get him, then it's a much more dangerous team all of the sudden and goals will absolutely come. He's ridiculously good when he's fit.
His contract expires in 2025. Have to make sure he doesn't sign an extension

croadyman

Problem is midfield still a huge issue,need someone else to provide creativity and already feels like Erik isn't sure about Casemiro

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s quite poor at holding and linking though. As is Haaland, which then creates the requirement to have 10 other players functioning so well that he doesn’t need to hold and link. Just like Haaland. But that is easier said than done and we look a million miles away from being able to dominate most games and create several chances, especially without our centre forward involved in the process.

Haaland touches the ball 10 times, but I don’t think we can get away with our striker doing that. And if Osimhen touches the ball 30-40 times, he’ll start doing more harm than good.

There is no perfect striker out there sadly. Funnily, of what is available I think Martial back in consistent form is possibly the closest we can get to a striker perfect for us. He can finish, hold the ball, link play, and is reasonably fast and strong. All other options are either missing any speed to threaten (like Kane, Mitrovic or Felix), missing the technique to hold the ball up and link with other forwards (Osimhen). Martial actually has most of the qualities we need except consistent form and fitness - however, any another striker will need us to sacrifice or adapt something in our game I feel.

croadyman

He’s quite poor at holding and linking though. As is Haaland, which then creates the requirement to have 10 other players functioning so well that he doesn’t need to hold and link. Just like Haaland. But that is easier said than done and we look a million miles away from being able to dominate most games and create several chances, especially without our centre forward involved in the process.

Haaland touches the ball 10 times, but I don’t think we can get away with our striker doing that. And if Osimhen touches the ball 30-40 times, he’ll start doing more harm than good.

There is no perfect striker out there sadly. Funnily, of what is available I think Martial back in consistent form is possibly the closest we can get to a striker perfect for us. He can finish, hold the ball, link play, and is reasonably fast and strong. All other options are either missing any speed to threaten (like Kane, Mitrovic or Felix), missing the technique to hold the ball up and link with other forwards (Osimhen). Martial actually has most of the qualities we need except consistent form and fitness - however, any another striker will need us to sacrifice or adapt something in our game I feel.
Just give us a big striker next summer please

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I'm just really excited for when we sign the 38-year-old Lewandowski and wonder why he doesn't really work any longer.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Which is why my [probably blinkered] view is to keep AM9 as the man, and bring in a player who quite clearly has something else to offer — a lump who puts himself about, presses from the front, wins a shitload of aerial duels, but still is kind of half decent technically. As a second/alternative choice. It doesn’t have to be a mega money man. PWe almost had that with Arnautovic if he wasn’t a wanker.

I probably rate Martial a lot higher than most do (but I think ten Hag does too, personally) and I think if he stays fit from now until the end of the season, we’ll be fine.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Which is why my [probably blinkered] view is to keep AM9 as the man, and bring in a player who quite clearly has something else to offer — a lump who puts himself about, presses from the front, wins a shitload of aerial duels, but still is kind of half decent technically. As a second/alternative choice. It doesn’t have to be a mega money man. PWe almost had that with Arnautovic if he wasn’t a wanker.

I probably rate Martial a lot higher than most do (but I think ten Hag does too, personally) and I think if he stays fit from now until the end of the season, we’ll be fine.
I agree. I think that footy fans lose belief in players quite easily and the solution is always on the market. I’m also a fan of Martial, although I’d be more than happy to upgrade him if the opportunity presented. That said, the chances of upgrading Martial are a lot more difficult than people imply. It’s not hard to upgrade the Martial that scored 4 goals last season it whatever, but once people get out of their emotions - anyone can concede he is quite obviously not a 4 goal a season striker. That season has gone, he’s not 36, we have to try and get him to perform as we know he can.

In all reality, the chances of us getting a striker at a good age who can hold the ball up, has some pace, can link and realistically be expected to score 18 or more goals a season are slim or highly expensive. There are frankly very few players who fit that mould - yet we know that Martial does. It is not unreasonable to expect Martial who is fit and motivated to score 18 goals. And provide all the other things I listed. Are we any more sure that Toney would? That all the other names mentioned would? Reading this thread so far, I don’t think people appreciate how very easy it would be to spend a lot of money and end up with a worse player than Martial.

We certainly need another striker, but the idea that Martial must be replaced in the XI at all costs is premature to me. If we could have gotten Haaland, I’d ship him out. However, Martial is better than Nunez. He’s better than Toney. And I’m not sure Osimhen would necessarily be better, although he could be.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Important to keep in mind that we wouldn't really be signing a CF for the team as it is now, we'd be signing a CF for the team as we hope it will be at the start of next season.

So taking the point above that we can't afford to have a striker who doesn't get involved in play, I'm not at all sure that ETH intends that to be the situation by the start of next season. And whether that intention actually comes to fruition by then or not, our transfer plans should still be based on that intention rather than the limitations of the team as it currently stands.

Because it would be very alarming if we thought 10 months more work with the team and however many additional signings that come along with the CF wouldn't radically alter the needs of the team. You need to plan based on the idea that your plans will work.

Obviously we're not inside ETH's head so it's hard to know what his vision for the team is but I would suspect it is closer to the model where the CF doesn't need to be involved in play quite as much as our current situation would require.

Primex

It not about rating it's about availability, how are we supposed to challenge when our main target man is always injured for half the season ?
It's that hope that kills us when others are signing improvements we're hoping our players turn up.
They've never proven themselves at the highest level but we keep on hoping rashford or martial would lead us to our first league title when all they do is always disappoint when our hope are at it's highest.i could name five better attainable targets for each of their positions they're are both nothing special.

wolvored

Martial and Rashford for that matter wont win you anything. They havent got 20 goals a season in them. We need a 20+ goals a season striker at least., and then hope our wingers can conjour up 30 more between them, with another 30+ from everyone else at least.
I hope TH is backed as he has gone out on a limb saying dont give any new contracts out until he has assessed, and I think Rashford and Martial will be gone in the next 2 seasons.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Martial and Rashford for that matter wont win you anything. They havent got 20 goals a season in them. We need a 20+ goals a season striker at least., and then hope our wingers can conjour up 30 more between them, with another 30+ from everyone else at least.
I hope TH is backed as he has gone out on a limb saying dont give any new contracts out until he has assessed, and I think Rashford and Martial will be gone in the next 2 seasons.
They have.

MegadrivePerson

We certainly need another striker, but the idea that Martial must be replaced in the XI at all costs is premature to me. If we could have gotten Haaland, I’d ship him out. However, Martial is better than Nunez. He’s better than Toney. And I’m not sure Osimhen would necessarily be better, although he could be.
It depends which version of Martial turns up though. If it's the one that looked good between 18-20 then yes, if it's the one that looked disinterested between 20 and the end of last season then no.

Based on what we've seen in pre season and the little he's played so far this season he does look more like the Martial of 18/19 and seems to be a good fit for Ten Hag's system.

We should judge it at the end of the season. A lot will depend of whether we've qualified for the Champions League next season.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Sebastien Haller is a different gravy than Martial. But EtH could make them work well.

So saying that we have to get a striker with specific "a, b, c, d" attributes is just misconception.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Fully expect us to follow up on our 08 interest in Benzema at some point in the next year or so

troylocker

Let’s get Moukoko in January, before he explodes in Germany. Turns 18 in November, has all the tools and is already an elite finisher. Got another against Bayern today.

Bwuk

Let’s get Moukoko in January, before he explodes in Germany. Turns 18 in November, has all the tools and is already an elite finisher. Got another against Bayern today.
He was touted as Haalands replacement for Dortmund the last year or so. I can't see them letting him go easy.

troylocker

Should be possible to get for less than 50M at least. Even though he has been seen as one of the biggest young striker talents ever for 4 years already, and he’s still not totally proven. If he gets the chance stay long enough at Dortmund, he will either explode soon or not. If he does, we’re looking at 100M +. A gamble, but with City looking like they do, we should consider players like this.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Would go all in on Vlahovic at Juve. Hard to believe there is a club in more of a mess than us with their recruitment strategy. No idea on how happy he is in Turin but would break the bank for this guy

croadyman

Would go all in on Vlahovic at Juve. Hard to believe there is a club in more of a mess than us with their recruitment strategy. No idea on how happy he is in Turin but would break the bank for this guy
So presume you would pick him over Sesko (Leipzig thing seems odd) & Osimhen then

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So presume you would pick him over Sesko (Leipzig thing seems odd) & Osimhen then
I must admit I have not seen too much of Sesko to form an opinion on him. Osimhen looks a real good talent who would also give us another dimension.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Have we fount replacement for our 2 chief scouts yet?

Primex

Sesko
Oshimen
Vlahovic
In that other. Sesko seems to offer what both would offer,osimhen physicality and pressing coupled with vlahovic link-up play.
Now that something that can rival city in a few years time.

croadyman

Sesko
Oshimen
Vlahovic
In that other. Sesko seems to offer what both would offer,osimhen physicality and pressing coupled with vlahovic link-up play.
What is your take on the Leipzig thing

Primex

What is your take on the Leipzig thing
Think it has to do with balancing the books come next season, Salzburg need the money to invest,leipzig needs the best young cheap thing on the planet for next season outgoings or to make a quick profit.
We were just unlucky.

croadyman

Sesko
Oshimen
Vlahovic
Any of them would give us a different dimension,however if you say Sesko has a bit of the other two then should do a deal before Leipzig if that's actually possible.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Whether Osimhen or someone else, that sort of work-rate up front would be much appreciated from whoever we sign as a CF.

SAF is the GOAT

What do you think about Vlahovic ? is a good CF ? is he can be good for us if we'll buy him ?

How much do you think we could get him for if we'll go for him next summer ?

Felix is reportedly getting frustrated at limited game time... Is he good enough for us?
He's not even a natural CF - what do we need him for ?