The centre-forward market...

dinostar77

Interesting what troy deeney and ian wright said about haaland and nunez last week on motd2. That they will bring the traditional, powerful centre forward who can occupy an entire defensive line ala prime drogba, back into fashion across europe and that the false 9 will fall out of favour.

dinostar77

Osimhen and Toney are the obvious choices for me.
Toney is interesting. Like ian wright and jamie vardy, he seems to be exploding onto the scene in his mid twenties. I would certainly give him a chance at utd.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Interesting what troy deeney and ian wright said about haaland and nunez last week on motd2. That they will bring the traditional, powerful centre forward who can occupy an entire defensive line ala prime drogba, back into fashion across europe and that the false 9 will fall out of favour.
It sort of has, hasn’t it? The two biggest teams who played with a false 9 were City and Liverpool (Foden; Firmino). Both have ended up with traditional no.9’s (Haaland; Nunez).

The only big team who doesn’t play with a conventional no.9 is probably Bayern, and that’s because they just lost theirs to Barcelona. Maybe us, if we count, (Rashford’s a winger uptop and Grandpa Ronaldo isn’t really a no.9) but I think a fully fit Martial plays the role okay-ish.

lysglimt

Scout
Osimhen and Toney are the obvious choices for me.
I would add Nkunku to that list - but i cant picture many more strikers who could be available and have the necessary quality. But Ivan Toney does not play for Brentford in 12 months

It will be interesting to follow Estupinan at Hull as well - not for us, but the little I have seen of him, he doesn't belong in the Championship.

dinostar77

It sort of has, hasn’t it? The two biggest teams who played with a false 9 were City and Liverpool (Foden; Firmino). Both have ended up with traditional no.9’s (Haaland; Nunez).

The only big team who doesn’t play with a conventional no.9 is probably Bayern, and that’s because they just lost theirs to Barcelona. Maybe us, if we count, (Rashford’s a winger uptop and Grandpa Ronaldo isn’t really a no.9) but I think a fully fit Martial plays the role okay-ish.
Problem we have is that chelsea and bayern also need a no9 for next summer. Whoever we go for chelsea will go for and maybe bayern.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Problem we have is that chelsea and bayern also need a no9 for next summer. Whoever we go for chelsea will go for and maybe bayern.
Completely forgot Chelsea! If only we sabotaged them with Ronaldo.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I would add Nkunku to that list - but i cant picture many more strikers who could be available and have the necessary quality. But Ivan Toney does not play for Brentford in 12 months

It will be interesting to follow Estupinan at Hull as well - not for us, but the little I have seen of him, he doesn't belong in the Championship.
Yeah he would work.

kaku06

Go for Kane if levy is open to selling him for 70-80m and he is open to us. I don’t care that he would be 30. He still has 3-4 ys minimum and there is no one better than him by a country mile. If not then go for someone like Toney for 40-50m max. And if he is also not available for the said price or is expensive then go for Mitrovic for 30-35m. Bottom line is don’t go for someone like Osimhen for 100m.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Go for Kane if levy is open to selling him for 70-80m and he is open to us. I don’t care that he would be 30. He still has 3-4 ys minimum and there is no one better than him by a country mile. If not then go for someone like Toney for 40-50m max. And if he is also not available for the said price or is expensive then go for Mitrovic for 30-35m. Bottom line is don’t go for someone like Osimhen for 100m.
I dont think either of these players will move for those prices. Not even Kane with one year left.

kaku06

I dont think either of these players will move for those prices. Not even Kane with one year left.
I think levy would sell for 80m if Kane is hell bent on leaving this time again. What do you think he would ask for ?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I think levy would sell for 80m if Kane is hell bent on leaving this time again. What do you think he would ask for ?
Not sure. Think there is a good chance we will find out. I could also see him asking for a premium from a PL-rival (compared to, say, Bayern or Real).

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I would mention Mitrovic but I tried that before and apparently scoring more than 40 goals in the championship doesn't mean crap while scoring 26 in the Portuguese league means you're 100m player

kaku06

Not sure. Think there is a good chance we will find out. I could also see him asking for a premium from a PL-rival (compared to, say, Bayern or Real).
My only hope is that Kane really wants to be the top scorer in pl history so he won’t leave premier league when he is close to overtaking shearer. It is more than winning a balon d’or for him especially when he knows that record is gonna stand maybe forever. Only chelsea and us have this vacuum upfront and can pay that kind of money for him but yeah it’s still a long shot.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Gabriel Jesus would had been a great option for a lot of teams, is crazy he ended up in Arsenal.

Erik the Red

My only hope is that Kane really wants to be the top scorer in pl history so he won’t leave premier league when he is close to overtaking shearer. It is more than winning a balon d’or for him especially when he knows that record is gonna stand maybe forever. Only chelsea and us have this vacuum upfront and can pay that kind of money for him but yeah it’s still a long shot.
Unfortunately, the rate Haaland is going, he will reach Shearer's record before Kane. He's on course for over 60 goals in a season, so could reach the record in just over 4 seasons. Where's Keane when we need him???

RkkMan

He's not a ST per se but Gakpo had a really good game today and scored taking his tally to 9 goals in 12 games

Dutch Experts have suggested he'll transition from a LW to a CF which is what I think Ten Hag wanted to do if he signed him this summer. PSV won't ask for something ridiculous too

He should be our the top forward target

RkkMan

Kane will likely care about trophies at his age more than Shearer's record which Bayern guarantee
Levy is also not selling to an English Team if there's a willing buyer abroad

RkkMan

Unfortunately, the rate Haaland is going, he will reach Shearer's record before Kane. He's on course for over 60 goals in a season, so could reach the record in just over 4 seasons. Where's Keane when we need him???
Haaland isn't staying in the PL beyond 4yrs

daveskimufc

Don't think Kane will leave spurs. He is after records now and won't jeopardise that

RkkMan

He won't leave the PL without breaking Shearer's record IMO
He's openly said he wants to end his career with trophies last year amid links to City
He's also 72 goals away from matching Shearer would need 3/4yrs to do that. Can't see him waiting that long at 30 TBH

AussieDevil

Nkunku doesn’t make sense in a team with Bruno, Sancho or Antony. He isn’t a proper striker.

Reyoji-Utd

I think we dont necessarily need to really have a big strong striker. Just have someone that can link up play and bring others into play is enough be him big strong or small.

RkkMan

Bayern won't pay what Tottenham will sell for.

And won't pay him huge wages either.
Go see how much they pay Mane
And Spurs won't overcharge them like they will Utd or Chelsea especially due to his contract situation and being a foreign team

Swordsman

He's openly said he wants to end his career with trophies last year amid links to City
He's also 72 goals away from matching Shearer would need 3/4yrs to do that. Can't see him waiting that long at 30 TBH

possible within 2 seasons if he managed to scored that many. at least 36 goals..

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Seems to be a real shortage of quality strikers compared to previous years.
Seems like the false 9 style just turning around to traditional strikers and at the start of that turnover.

I’m starting to really have hope for Toney after being not sure about him - he has such a clinical finishers name.

Toney 54’
Toney 67’
Toney 81’

Last edited:

Zen86

Seems to be a real shortage of quality strikers compared to previous years.
It's all cyclical. The traditional striker has died down in use in recent years so naturally there aren't many about right now. Haaland will signal a shift away from the technical playmaking CF and back towards the powerful out-and-out goalscorer once again. The CB archetype will consequently change to cope with the new threat. Supply and demand.

Primex

I think we dont necessarily need to really have a big strong striker. Just have someone that can link up play and bring others into play is enough be him big strong or small.
Martial ??
Rashford??

TheGame

Seems like the false 9 style just turning around to traditional strikers and at the start of that turnover.

I’m starting to really have hope for Toney after being not sure about him - he has such a clinical finishers name.

Toney 54’
Toney 67’
Toney 81’
Reminds of a joke I heard. What do you call a man with no shins??

Tony (Toe Knee)

TheGame

It's all cyclical. The traditional striker has died down in use in recent years so naturally there aren't many about right now. Haaland will signal a shift away from the technical playmaking CF and back towards the powerful out-and-out goalscorer once again. The CB archetype will consequently change to cope with the new threat. Supply and demand.
Yep realised how Real Madrid didn't really have a replacement for Benzema when he was injured at the weekend.

NoPace

Gabriel Jesus would had been a great option for a lot of teams, is crazy he ended up in Arsenal.
Juve should maybe have gone for him and just played 4-4-2. They have proper wingers in Chiesa and Kostic. PSG would be the other one but he might have wanted to start and try to score 20+ goals and win the Brazil 9 job and also just stop being a rotation guy after his time at City. Not sure who else was bigger than Arsenal and needed a starting 9. I guess Inter Milan instead of bringing back Lukaku but they got him for cheap and he's a hero there and recently dominated Serie A and hasn't had serious injuries since. City wouldn't have sold him to Liverpool and he wouldn't have come to us probably. Not sure who that leaves. I guess Barca instead of Lewandowski but that's a big downgrade.

Boondog

I would mention Mitrovic but I tried that before and apparently scoring more than 40 goals in the championship doesn't mean crap while scoring 26 in the Portuguese league means you're 100m player
He would be excellent. Tough, physical, and dangerous in the box. Puts in a full shift. His mentality would be a great addition to the locker room too.

Sea-Cow

Anyone get a chance to watch Chelsea yesterday? If so, how did that Sesko lad do against them?