The centre-forward market...

flappyjay

Is Vlahovic the only real world class (at least potentially) player at Juve right now? He is awesome. But yeah no way Juve are selling him.
Unfortunately for them Chiesa has had some injury issues.

avgp_1

Just to throw in a new name: Kolo Muani from Frankfurt might be someone we should look out for this season and see how he does. Has been really good in the last couple of matches.
Decent shout, has had a good start to life in the Bundesliga. Just feel something is off with his running technique with the ball, but he might improve. One to watch for sure

NewYorkRed

Do we think Leao can turn into a 20 goal a year player if he plays as the main striker? I think he can but just curious what everyone else thinks. He looks class every time I watch him.

troylocker

At which point did I call either of them elite?

Yorke had to be phased out; his head was not in the game anymore and that cannot be ignored to make an overarching point about numbers because you're suggesting an organic decline where Yorke went out of his way to be a very poor professional.

You're reeling off a lot of numbers, but the simple fact is Yorke was easily the match of anyone in the treble season as evidenced in the Champions League where his performances actually went up a level.

Without context Cole's career shouldn't be measured. Glenn Hoddle effectively ruined Cole and his prospects for England, plus Shearer was the absolute golden boy - you either played alongside him in servitude or you didn't play at all.

Cole's trajectory was perfectly clear, as outlined in my previous post. If he had never arrived at United and was left to his own devices, he would never have become a rounded, team player - he would have used all of his intelligence to forage for more and more goals and he would have been fed by the likes of Beardsley his whole career to do so.

Your definition of a striker seems to be goals and ratios and not much else, which isn't going to give team players or those who safrificed themselves or their game for others a chance. By your metrics, Cole had to be his Newcastle version for a career - you seem to dismiss what a feat it is to be that kind of forward and do a complete 180 to what he became.

Also, numbers post-United are going to depend on so many factors, so blanket laying figures down just doesn't work or mean much because context is vital for a full picture.

The Toney and Mitrovic stuff is a fair 50:50 as to why some are apprehensive and others less so - it's a lot of money; it's not a 'sure thing' like getting the hottest prodigy is supposed to be and, if they flop, the club is stuck with them on high salaries with little to no resale value. The season will tell us a lot about both players, but if they have stellar campaigns, the arguments against them hold less weight because some forwards do come to life after ironing out their game.

The derth of amazing strikers is problematic and a conundrum in itself, which is seeing the likes of Liverpool spending crazy amounts on a player who just as many people think is going to be a huge flop as think will just about make a passing grade.

Seemingly, raw numbers are not the way most centre-forwards will be judged over the next few years: this appears to be the era of the modern-day Cole's, Drogba's and Saha's - anyone who contributes an astronomical amount to their team besides goals.
I don’t think we’ll agree on the relative quality of Cole and Yorke. Like I mentioned earlier, there is more than a handful of forwards I think was better at the time. They were still very good players.

When it comes to the striker market today, I think Toney and Mitrovic are a tier or two below what we need if we want to close the gap to City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal and build a title winning squad.

Last edited:

kaku06

Who would you take Ivan Toney for 50m or Osimhen for 80m ? I’m just guessing the price of course as I think they would be around that. Toney would be 27 and Osimhen 24. If we are going for a big physical striker then Who fits the best and which one would elevate us the most ?

avgp_1

Who would you take Ivan Toney for 50m or Osimhen for 80m ? I’m just guessing the price of course as I think they would be around that. Toney would be 27 and Osimhen 24. If we are going for a big physical striker then Who fits the best and which one would elevate us the most ?
Toney is better atm. But I doubt he will come for 50m

SAF is the GOAT

If Juve will keep playing like this - I reckon that we could snatch Vlahovic from them in 1 or 2 years max

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Looking forward to seeing Osimhen against Liverpool tonight. I think Napoli will turn them over tbh.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Osimhen. Younger, already more of a goal threat in open play, has CL experience and ultimately has more potential/ is rated higher as a talent.

Though I suspect you're underpricing both.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Leao was a striker when he was coming up if I remember correctly, but that art of holding the ball up and smelling danger only comes naturally to a few, and these days, those that have it typically don’t have the pace.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Shortlist for me should be something like:
  • Victor Osimhen - probably 100m
  • Lautaro Martinez - probably 100m
  • Ivan Toney - probably 50m
Who else? Not big on Schick, don't think he's anywhere close to the right level and is a bit soft as a player, Mitrovic is about to turn 28 and has had way too many years of failure at the top level to be seriously an option for a top team IMO, David is a bit too much of a poacher as far as I know and not what we need... Would be happy with any of these 3 though, first 2 especially instant key options while Toney would probably rotate in there with Martial without much fuss but be a very good all rounder.

Idxomer

I'm wary about Osimhen, he seems quite injury-prone and his style probably means he's gonna stay this way.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'm wary about Osimhen, he seems quite injury-prone and his style probably means he's gonna stay this way.
His injury record is a exaggerated by the cheekbone fracture and having caught Covid twice, none of which are long term repeating concerns but still saw him miss 20 games between them. He was just a bit unlucky.

Idxomer

His injury record is a exaggerated by the cheekbone fracture and having caught Covid twice, none of which are long term repeating concerns but still saw him miss 20 games between them. He was just a bit unlucky.
I stand corrected then, will keep an eye on how he'll fare this season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Does he [Osimhen] play like that all the time?
He’s a bully, actually fairly similar stylistically to Haaland. Similar weaknesses too, neither are close to Martial in terms of hold-up, link play. He’s technically a bit unpolished, so he’s best as a player getting on the end of things than contributing to building it. Has size, strength and pace though and plays with great intensity. But for me, his style means it’s only worth it if he can score a stupid amount of goals - like Haaland, who would be far from a Guardiola striker if he was an 17 goal striker.

December_16

Seeing Lewa shooting the lights out this season so far, I wouldn’t think twice about signing Kane IF he’s available this summer with one year left on his contract. Assuming we get our other key signings done (CM/GK/RB, etc.), he would be a great last piece of the puzzle. A shade of RVP signing for us back then, I feel.

RkkMan

Seeing Lewa shooting the lights out this season so far, I wouldn’t think twice about signing Kane IF he’s available this summer with one year left on his contract. Assuming we get our other key signings done (CM/GK/RB, etc.), he would be a great last piece of the puzzle. A shade of RVP signing for us back then, I feel.
Bayern Munich are on his tail unfortunately for us if he's still desperate for a title

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He’s a bully, actually fairly similar stylistically to Haaland. Similar weaknesses too, neither are close to Martial in terms of hold-up, link play. He’s technically a bit unpolished, so he’s best as a player getting on the end of things than contributing to building it. Has size, strength and pace though and plays with great intensity. But for me, his style means it’s only worth it if he can score a stupid amount of goals - like Haaland, who would be far from a Guardiola striker if he was an 17 goal striker.
It was the intensity and selflessness that surprised me; I was expecting to see a very good athlete, but not that kind of engine. He went off early so didn't get to see if he would've gassed or modified his game accordingly second half.

He's a massive distraction and nuisance for CB's, which obviously lends itself to others in his team exploiting the space that kind of chaos generates. If that's a typical game of his, I can see why there's some buzz around him.

If he hasn't got potential top-scorer amounts of goals in him then you'd want other aspects of his game to be top percentile in contrast, which you made the point of, but I am certainly more intrigued to see more of him off the back of yesterday to get a more comprehensive look at his game as a whole and see what he is made of.

NoPace

It was the intensity and selflessness that surprised me; I was expecting to see a very good athlete, but not that kind of engine. He went off early so didn't get to see if he would've gassed or modified his game accordingly second half.

He's a massive distraction and nuisance for CB's, which obviously lends itself to others in his team exploiting the space that kind of chaos generates. If that's a typical game of his, I can see why there's some buzz around him.

If he hasn't got potential top-scorer amounts of goals in him then you'd want other aspects of his game to be top percentile in contrast, which you made the point of, but I am certainly more intrigued to see more of him off the back of yesterday to get a more comprehensive look at his game as a whole and see what he is made of.
Yeah, he looked like a giant Vardy. Really impressive, if not particularly involved in the build up, though Liverpool's line was so high it makes sense they just asked him to get in behind and obviously it worked brilliantly.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Khvicha Kvaratskhelia is a player we should have a second look at. He is 6ft tall and a top talent with a good eye for goal. He is a natural lw but can play upfront.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

I think he does have top goalscorer potential in him tbh. For various reasons, he’s been unable to hit 20 yet at Napoli, but he’s had to spend a lot of time out with injury.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
He does make a lot of sense on paper, doesn't he, even though in an ideal world United would sign a slightly younger and more explosive center forward? Exceptional hold-up play, has a good sense for tactical nitty-gritty, fairly consistent high-end and high-volume producer, vastly experienced by now, wouldn't need to adjust to England (or its footballing culture). Close to prototypical ten Hag striker when you think about it, near-perfect for a team that has inverted wingers like Sancho and Antony, and not super old at 29 years — i.e., half a decade younger than Lewandowski or Benzema (who are among the premier strikers in football right now). If there's even a slight chance of signing Kane, United must move heaven and earth — especially as the club can free up more than £1 million per week in terms of wages with the likely departures of Cristiano, de Gea and company.
Khvicha Kvaratskhelia is a player we should have a second look at. He is 6ft tall and a top talent with a good eye for goal. He is a natural lw but can play upfront.
The traits to do well in central positions are there, and he has already played as a second striker for the national team under Sagnol. Only scratched the surface of his potential as a playmaker, and if you add goal-scoring consistency to his overall toolkit, Kvaratskhelia becomes a very exciting prospect indeed. That being said, some posters who have seen more of him in the Russian and Georgian leagues think he is fundamentally unsuited to a permanent center forward or False 9 role which calls for a fair bit of positional rigor in the final third (and should be used as a free role wide attacker in a 4—3—3 for the foreseeable future as he is a dribbling virtuoso first and foremost).

Erik the Red

I think he does have top goalscorer potential in him tbh. For various reasons, he’s been unable to hit 20 yet at Napoli, but he’s had to spend a lot of time out with injury.
Osimhen looked a real handful against Liverpool, but he also lacked a bit of confidence / composure in front of goal. His penalty was saved, and when through on goal he squared to a teammate who saw his shot blocked. A striker at the top of their game would have just buried it.

If we can get Kane cheaply, and he produced the goods for us for a few years, I think that we be great business. I didn't realise his contract was up in 2024. As other posters have commented, apart from Haaland and Mbappe, there are no other obvious World Class forwards coming through to replace Ronaldo, Messi, Lewa, Salah and Benzema. Neymar has all the tricks, but has not been as prolific. Maybe Sesko and Nkunku can reach that level, and besides Osimhen, they would be the ones I would like to sign. Toney and Mitrovic are a level below, but would still cost outrageous amounts.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Osimhen looked a real handful against Liverpool, but he also lacked a bit of confidence / composure in front of goal. His penalty was saved, and when through on goal he squared to a teammate who saw his shot blocked. A striker at the top of their game would have just buried it.

If we can get Kane cheaply, and he produced the goods for us for a few years, I think that we be great business. I didn't realise his contract was up in 2024. As other posters have commented, apart from Haaland and Mbappe, there are no other obvious World Class forwards coming through to replace Ronaldo, Messi, Lewa, Salah and Benzema. Neymar has all the tricks, but has not been as prolific. Maybe Sesko and Nkunku can reach that level, and besides Osimhen, they would be the ones I would like to sign. Toney and Mitrovic are a level below, but would still cost outrageous amounts.
I have concerns regarding Osimhen too, although I think it could go either way with him and he’s by no means a cert. But he is definitely a possible in terms of going to the top. He’s not hugely different from Lukaku apart from the key difference in that he plays with far greater intensity. That said, Haaland is principally the same too. Great finisher, great intensity, physicality and speed but fairly unrefined technical skills.

Presently, I’d say Haaland is at one end of that particular spectrum, Lukaku at the other end and Osimhen somewhere in between, but with the age profile to still move in either direction.

December_16

He does make a lot of sense on paper, doesn't he, even though in an ideal world United would sign a slightly younger and more explosive center forward? Exceptional hold-up play, has a good sense for tactical nitty-gritty, fairly consistent high-end and high-volume producer, vastly experienced by now, wouldn't need to adjust to England (or its footballing culture). Close to prototypical ten Hag striker when you think about it, near-perfect for a team that has inverted wingers like Sancho and Antony, and not super old at 29 years — i.e., half a decade younger than Lewandowski or Benzema (who are among the premier strikers in football right now). If there's even a slight chance of signing Kane, United must move heaven and earth — especially as the club can free up more than £1 million per week in terms of wages with the likely departures of Cristiano, de Gea and company.
Bingo! You said it much better than I ever could. Still just a pipe dream though.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The difference between Osimhen yesterday and Ronaldo today highlighted how much we have to gain by upgrading that CF position.

I know Martial/Rashford are ahead of Ronaldo in the pecking order anyway, but it's not like they're at the level we need either.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The Megastore would love him. The number of letters they will be selling for his jerseys!

caid

Isak looks quite good in the tiny bit i've seen of him. Are newcastle signings out of the question now?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The difference is that Kane won't leave a Spurs now with Conte in charge and he'll cost us an arm and leg unlike Lewandowski.

I don't think we should waste our time on a very difficult deal. We've as it is spend enormous money on an aging Casemiero.

AussieDevil

We will struggle to find the striker we need. There’s not much quality out there, usually there’s one or two that look really promising and available, but nothing at the moment.

Toney and Mitrovic are PL proven, but they don’t look like they have the quality to lead the line for an elite club, certainly not at 50m+.

Osimhen looks talented but he looks technically limited in the Serie A, and whilst I still think he has certain attributes that can help our squad, he would cost 110m at the minimum and for that price you need someone who looks a lot better on the ball.

Jonathan David looks like the best value for money but he doesn’t seem like a typical ETH striker and I don’t know if he brings enough variety to our attack.

The best option in my opinion has always been Joao Pedro from Watford, even made a thread on him a while back. But I doubt the club would make that signing.

Goncalo Ramos from Benfica might end up being the one, and if I had to take any of the forwards I mentioned (other than Pedro) it would be him.

Lost bear

Do we think Leao can turn into a 20 goal a year player if he plays as the main striker? I think he can but just curious what everyone else thinks. He looks class every time I watch him.
Liao at Milan? Yes, he’s looked excellent lately. He was when I saw him last season too. But not sure he’ll make a striker, specifically….

NoPace

Jonathan David looks like the best value for money but he doesn’t seem like a typical ETH striker and I don’t know if he brings enough variety to our attack.
We look pretty far away from worrying about teams parking the bus against and not having an aerial presence in the box and David's pressing and link up play are really good. He's not really a #9 but he'd be similar to what Rashford has given us so far this year but more consistent linking up and with tons more energy defensively.

Right now I'd say the 2 most logical signings are Abraham and Toney.

Toney, in theory he has everything we need and should be hungry and Brentford would have to sell for 50M you'd figure. You could argue he doesn't force teams to defend deeper with his own pace, but he wins so many knock downs and flick ons that if Sancho, Bruno and Antony make enough runs in behind when we do go longer that would be okay, though Ten Hag maybe likes our wingers too wide for that.

Abraham has the qualities of a lone striker, good presser, English and has the height to be an aerial presence, really only had one bad season at Swansea and otherwise done well in the Prem and dominated the Championship (not Mitrovic but 48 in 78 his last 2 years there). Would presumably cost an insane amount but he's only just turning 25 so some resale value in 4-5 years.

But David isn't crazy. Nunez will probably come good, but I'm surprised they didn't sign David to play a similar role to Firmino but a bit more of a normal striker and keep their pressing top notch, and used the extra 25-30M on a quality midfielder for their system like Lainer or another #8 who runs maniacally so they can keep playing a high line.

AussieDevil

We look pretty far away from worrying about teams parking the bus against and not having an aerial presence in the box and David's pressing and link up play are really good. He's not really a #9 but he'd be similar to what Rashford has given us so far this year but more consistent linking up and with tons more energy defensively.

Right now I'd say the 2 most logical signings are Abraham and Toney.

Toney, in theory he has everything we need and should be hungry and Brentford would have to sell for 50M you'd figure. You could argue he doesn't force teams to defend deeper with his own pace, but he wins so many knock downs and flick ons that if Sancho, Bruno and Antony make enough runs in behind when we do go longer that would be okay, though Ten Hag maybe likes our wingers too wide for that.

Abraham has the qualities of a lone striker, good presser, English and has the height to be an aerial presence, really only had one bad season at Swansea and otherwise done well in the Prem and dominated the Championship (not Mitrovic but 48 in 78 his last 2 years there). Would presumably cost an insane amount but he's only just turning 25 so some resale value in 4-5 years.

But David isn't crazy. Nunez will probably come good, but I'm surprised they didn't sign David to play a similar role to Firmino but a bit more of a normal striker and keep their pressing top notch, and used the extra 25-30M on a quality midfielder for their system like Lainer or another #8 who runs maniacally so they can keep playing a high line.
David is definitely a good premier league striker potentially but the club will spend on a striker that can also bring the best out of Rashford, Sancho and Antony as they’re arguably our most valuable assets. That’s just how I imagine the club will see it.

I player I really like is Vlahovic but he’d be 100m and would require Juventus to not make UCL, which is a possibility.

We need to build as if we expect to be title challengers in a year or two. Toney will have a long premier league career, but not at a title winning side, and you can’t spend 50m on him to need replacing in only two years.

Abraham is an interesting option.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Milan turned down a bid around £90m from a PL club (Chelsea) this summer. Rafael Leao will probably go for around £127m, which is his release clause. Milan is offering him a new contract because they are afraid that clubs will be all over him in Januari already. Not sure we have that kind of money before we secure a CL spot for next season at least.

Kvaratskhelia is not for sale. He just joined Napoli and their president is looking for bids on Osimhen next summer.

Also, both Leao and Kvaratskhelia are more wingers then the kind of number 9 we are looking for. And both of them like to start of then left wing to have the change to cut in to the middle of the pitch.

Contracts expire:
Kvaratskhelia 2027
Osimhen 2025
Leao 2024