The centre-forward market...

Borussia Teeth

What's his contract situation? He's been there for a while now. If it's two years in the summer then I think Napoli may look to maximize his value and shift him. Anymore than 2 years then he will probably be priced out of going anywhere.

eire-red

I wrote this on the "priorities" thread, but it is probably more relevant here...

Ronaldo is finished, Greenwood is finished, and Martial misses around 20 games a season due to injury.

The problem is that there are very few outstanding strikers around. Ronaldo, Messi, Benzema and Lewandowski are all in the twighlight of their careers, and Kane is not far behind, and will cost a fortune for a depreciating asset.

The two outstanding young talents are also unattainable. Haaland is with our biggest rivals and Mbappe is tied into a ridiculous contract at PSG.

Of the other strikers, there are many with potential, but they all seem to have obvious flaws and crazy price tags. None of Matrinez, Osimhen, David, or any of the others discussed are at the elite level of those mentioned above, and I doubt any will reach those levels.

I think the two most interesting young prospects are Sesko and Endrick, and would be excited to get either, but they are both very speculative, and Endrick can't actually join until he is 18.

Gakpo is another interesting player, but is not really an out-and-out striker, so even if we brought him in, we would probably have to bring in someone else as well.

I think Brobbey, whilst limited, could do a job, and would be an interesting player to have as a squad player to come in with one or more of the aforementioned players. I think Endrick could potentially play as a 9 or a 10, which means he could lead the line on his own, or play alongside Sesko / Brobbey / Gakpo.

Remember that we had 4 first team strikers in the great 99 team (Cole, Yorke, Sheringham and Solskjaer) which provided the squad depth to win a treble. Now we can use more substitutes, and when the manager wants to mix things up a bit, it is likely the strikers that will be changed.

Imagine ETH having to select a front line from Sesko, Endrick, Brobbey, Gakpo, Antony, Rashford, Sancho, Garnacho and Pellistri. (I expect Ronaldo, Greenwood, Martial, Amad and Elanga to have limited opportunities once the above players are brought in over the next few windows.)
I'm not sure i agree with you on Osimhen, I'd have him way ahead of Martinez, David and that bracket of "young and quality attackers".

I've kept a close eye on Osimhen since he scored a brace vs Leicester in the EL a couple of seasons ago. I think he's a real top talent, and one of those rare strikers capable of leading the line on his own, which is how ETH likes to set up with the sole striker.

He reminds me of Cavani in that he's not technically flawless but he has all the key attributes for me to be a top, top CF. Finishing, movement, pace, power, heading, runs the channels, can defend from the front, he's one of the most complete strikers around and if we can attain him I would rather sign Osimhen only for €100m instead of over the next couple of windows us looking to unearth some talent like Sesko, Endrick, Brobbey, Gakpo etc etc.

It's about time we had a WC striker, and if we can't have Haaland or Mbappe, then Osimhen is way above the other options on the market and I think someone with his attributes would transform us.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If Osimhen gets through the rest of the season relatively injury-free then he would quite easily be my first choice, even at the high price he would cost. Or at least he would be of the strikers I've properly seen. Very high potential, I think.

I think he's just been unlucky with injuries given they include thing like a fractured cheekbone, dislocated shoulder and getting Covid twice. But the extra reassurance would be good if you're going to invest that much money on someone.

In a way his hat-trick yesterday highlights what I like about him from our POV. None of the goals were particularly spectacular, just a goalscorer getting and hoovering up some high value chances in the box.

And that's typical of the player, as you can see from the below which shows where he gets his chances.

avgp_1

If Osimhen gets through the rest of the season relatively injury-free then he would quite easily be my first choice, even at the high price he would cost. Or at least he would be of the strikers I've properly seen. Very high potential, I think.

I think he's just been unlucky with injuries given they include thing like a fractured cheekbone, dislocated shoulder and getting Covid twice. But the extra reassurance would be good if you're going to invest that much money on someone.

In a way his hat-trick yesterday highlights what I like about him from our POV. None of the goals were particularly spectacular, just a goalscorer getting and hoovering up some high value chances in the box.

And that's typical of the player, as you can see from the below which shows where he gets his chances.
Interesting plot there. I hadn't checked the stats before but watching him seemed to me his finishing isn't quite up there, for the amount of shots he takes he hasn't scored enough.

But seems to be taking the next step this season, if he can become a proper goalscorer there is very little holding him back.

NoPace

I don't think Ten Hag will spend on Osimhen, and will instead look for someone cheaper (so he can spend elsewhere) who can link play better, even though Osimhen is really good. Reminds me of Vardy with size, though not sure he'll develop into the creator for others that Vardy has.

RkkMan

I don't think Ten Hag will spend on Osimhen, and will instead look for someone cheaper (so he can spend elsewhere) who can link play better, even though Osimhen is really good. Reminds me of Vardy with size, though not sure he'll develop into the creator for others that Vardy has.
Don't think we need a "cheaper" CF to save funds Ronaldo leaving frees up a lot of wages to give us financial leeway
There will also be a lot of sales and more players leaving for free

Redderp

We need two strikers. Ronaldo is wank and wont be here for long, Martial is always injured and Rashford is better on the left. The perfect plan for me would be to get a backup striker in january who can start until the summer and be satisfied with being a backup after we then splash big money on a starting striker in the summer.

One striker is not enough…

troylocker

Think Sesko would the right signing for us.
Is he really good enough? Seems like the hype has cooled down big time
He might become good, but he's had a very mediocre season for Salzburg so far. He had a couple of good games for Slovenia in September, but has had little else to show for this season. Not even the best young forward at Salburg this season:

Sesko (born 2003): 6 goals and 2 assists in 1278 minutes - 0,42 goals/90 and 0,56 goals+assists/90 (0 returns in 300 minutes in the CL)
Okafor (born 2000): 9 goals and 2 assists in 1050 minutes - 0,77 goals/90 and 0,94 goals+assists/90 (3 goals in 5 games in the CL)
Adamu (born 2001): 10 goals and 3 assists in 707 minutes - 1,27 goals/90 and 1,65 goals+assists/90 (1 goal and 1 assist in 139 minutes in the CL)

Perspective:
Haaland (19 years old) in his half season there: 28 goals and 7 assists in 1464 minutes - 1,72 goals/90 and 2,15 goals+assists/90 (8 goals and 1 assist in 374 minutes in the CL)

19 year olds Kjaergaard (box to box midfielder) and Gourna-Douath (Defensive midfielder) are probably a players we should monitor in the Salzburg squad as well.

Zed 101

I said before the season started I wanted us to sign Ivan Toney, I still do and cannot believe he has not been the subject of a move to a bigger club, I think he should make the world cup squad and hopefully have an impact, don't know how much he would cost but think he would be a reasonable option, whilst we are waiting to offload Ronaldo and bring in another striker as well

Unlike many of the players mentioned on here he is proven in the Prem and would not have a premadonna complex, I can see he would be happy rotating

Elcabron

I said before the season started I wanted us to sign Ivan Toney, I still do and cannot believe he has not been the subject of a move to a bigger club, I think he should make the world cup squad and hopefully have an impact, don't know how much he would cost but think he would be a reasonable option, whilst we are waiting to offload Ronaldo and bring in another striker as well

Unlike many of the players mentioned on here he is proven in the Prem and would not have a premadonna complex, I can see he would be happy rotating
Just signed a new five year contract so will be very hard to get unless they go down.

troylocker

You again.... :lol:
So not relevant as a measuring stick when looking at striker talents coming out of Salzburg?
Maybe I should have used Daka (he scored 1+ goal per 90 in his last 2 seasons there) as a measuring stick in stead, since he's still not a regular starter in that Leicester team.

You'll have to get used to seeing and hearing the name I'm afraid.

Remember the geese

You again.... :lol:
So not relevant as a measuring stick when looking at striker talents coming out of Salzburg?
Maybe I should have used Daka (he scored 1+ goal per 90 in his last 2 seasons there) as a measuring stick in stead, since he's still not a regular starter in that Leicester team.

You'll have to get used to seeing and hearing the name I'm afraid.
It just seems like any excuse to mention his name and you're there. Like spotting the bat-signal. I'm happy to see Haaland‘s name mentioned by others, but I haven't noticed the same obsession from anyone else. I'll try to bite my tongue a bit next time before calling you out :)

Sparky Rhiwabon

Would cost a lot, maybe around £80m

Think Osimhen would be a better option without the young English / Premier League proven tax.

Lux Thunder

Found it strange how many posters are underrating Osimhen, while I'm quite sure we would make top 4 easily with him in this side.

Stig

What do you think of Antonio from West Ham just for a different look. Big, strong, stays in the middle. ?

Erik the Red

What do you think of Antonio from West Ham just for a different look. Big, strong, stays in the middle. ?
A 32 year old who scores a goal every 4 games??? I'd rather go for Brobbey to achieve those aims. He has played for ETH, scored around a goal a game, is 20 years old, and dreams of playing for us. He may not be a first team regular here, but I think he would be a great squad option, a bit like Solskjaer did for us.

Jeffthered

No idea really. Scouts have to be working hard because this is key. Absolutely key.

It's strange... countries such as the Netherlands, Italy, Argentina... all traditionally produce a steady supply of top strikers.... none seem to be on the scene at the moment though...

Strelok

Bad news but no surprise who would be daft enough to take him. He's probably the worst striker in the league atm.

So gone my dream of a new top striker this Jan. Plus looking at the last two matches we'll see more of him in the lineup I guess. Oh God I fecking hate watching us with him. We've played some amazing football without him but always look like shit with him. Feck this :mad:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No idea really. Scouts have to be working hard because this is key. Absolutely key.

It's strange... countries such as the Netherlands, Italy, Argentina... all traditionally produce a steady supply of top strikers.... none seem to be on the scene at the moment though...
Except Jonathan David who is available for a reasonable price as well.

Erik the Red

Bad news but no surprise who would be daft enough to take him. He's probably the worst striker in the league atm.

So gone my dream of a new top striker this Jan. Plus looking at the last two matches we'll see more of him in the lineup I guess. Oh God I fecking hate watching us with him. We've played some amazing football without him but always look like shit with him. Feck this :mad:
We will have to bring in a striker or two and make it clear to Ronaldo his chances will be limited here. Then hopefully he will lower his wage demands and maybe Sporting, Napoli, Roma or Atletico will bite the bullet. I don't think his ego can take being a bench player, so he may be tempted by the oil money offer and the opportunity to score lots of goals to boost his statistics (even if it is a weak league).

Strelok

We will have to bring in a striker or two and make it clear to Ronaldo his chances will be limited here. Then hopefully he will lower his wage demands and maybe Sporting, Napoli, Roma or Atletico will bite the bullet. I don't think his ego can take being a bench player, so he may be tempted by the oil money offer and the opportunity to score lots of goals to boost his statistics (even if it is a weak league).
Yeah let's hope it the case.

dinostar77

Does anyone know which centre forwards are currently doing really well in south america? There was a report a week or two ago that utd were concentrating on centre fowards who play in south america presently?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Brobbey would be a great second option, but think he will stay at Ajax a bit longer. One of the most frequent scorers in the Eredivisie of all time (goals per 90).

Osimhen, and Martinez seem like the best bets.

Erik the Red

Does anyone know which centre forwards are currently doing really well in south america? There was a report a week or two ago that utd were concentrating on centre fowards who play in south america presently?
On the BBC website, you can search for tables of overseas leagues, and then go to the top scorers, and you can also see the number of assists. I can't embed the data here, and I don't follow the leagues, so don't know anything about the players.

criticalanalysis

I know this may sound crazy but I thought Ole should have used Ighalo more.

Ighalo in this current team would be exactly the type of squad option striker we need.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I know this may sound crazy but I thought Ole should have used Ighalo more.

Ighalo in this current team would be exactly the type of squad option striker we need.
Agreed, he had some great €9 qualities. (His type will die out I think).

Ronaldo really offers 0, just zero.

dinostar77

On the BBC website, you can search for tables of overseas leagues, and then go to the top scorers, and you can also see the number of assists. I can't embed the data here, and I don't follow the leagues, so don't know anything about the players.
Nice idea, will give it a go. When i used to subscribe and read World Soccer magazine, id know this stuff. But dont anymore.

Found the link about south america strikers. Its abit vague to say the least.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Looking at the Martial thread, the fact that people (correctly) think that having him fit is so important to us underlines just how much an actual top class forward would immediately improve our team.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He might become good, but he's had a very mediocre season for Salzburg so far. He had a couple of good games for Slovenia in September, but has had little else to show for this season. Not even the best young forward at Salburg this season:

Sesko (born 2003): 6 goals and 2 assists in 1278 minutes - 0,42 goals/90 and 0,56 goals+assists/90 (0 returns in 300 minutes in the CL)
Okafor (born 2000): 9 goals and 2 assists in 1050 minutes - 0,77 goals/90 and 0,94 goals+assists/90 (3 goals in 5 games in the CL)
Adamu (born 2001): 10 goals and 3 assists in 707 minutes - 1,27 goals/90 and 1,65 goals+assists/90 (1 goal and 1 assist in 139 minutes in the CL)

Perspective:
Haaland (19 years old) in his half season there: 28 goals and 7 assists in 1464 minutes - 1,72 goals/90 and 2,15 goals+assists/90 (8 goals and 1 assist in 374 minutes in the CL)

19 year olds Kjaergaard (box to box midfielder) and Gourna-Douath (Defensive midfielder) are probably a players we should monitor in the Salzburg squad as well.
Come on, can't use Haaland as perspective, the guy built different.

Edwards6

Well, why would anyone be surprised if Ronaldo stays until next Summer?
I think he's definitely here till the summer, can't see who will sign him in January unless he takes a massive pay cut. Plus I don't think we'll spend big in January to replace him

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think he's definitely here till the summer, can't see who will sign him in January unless he takes a massive pay cut. Plus I don't think we'll spend big in January to replace him
Exactly. After WC is done, he has even less incentive to find new club. He can just relax, prevent getting injured, and takes his time to pick club until next Summer.