The centre-forward market...

themanguydude

I think he's definitely here till the summer, can't see who will sign him in January unless he takes a massive pay cut. Plus I don't think we'll spend big in January to replace him
There is a chance he throws another fit and Ten Hag says enough is enough and forces the board to tear up his contract.

Once Martial gets fit, he will ride the bench again, so I guess we'll see how he reacts then.

NoPace

Don't think we need a "cheaper" CF to save funds Ronaldo leaving frees up a lot of wages to give us financial leeway
There will also be a lot of sales and more players leaving for free
I think Ten Hag will want to spend 90M on the right player, but it'll be someone he's sure fits the football he wants to play, like Antony and Lisandro did. So a pacy CB who can pass to play on the right, Frenkie De Jong, a younger Benzema type who can score 20 league goals and link play nicely, then sure. Not someone who might not suit the control, possession based football with quick passing stuff he is implementing. My guess is he'd prefer a massive bid for Lautaro over Osimhen.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I think we should try for Kane in January. Spurs are going nowhere and he's not got much time left.

Summer is last year of his contract, reckon £75m would prize him away from Levy

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think we should try for Kane in January. Spurs are going nowhere and he's not got much time left.

Summer is last year of his contract, reckon £75m would prize him away from Levy
In January nothing less than 100m I would think

Abraxas

Mixed feelings on Kane. Undoubtedly a class player but he's been functioning as part of attacking units that are an absolute stodgefest for a number of years now. You can say it's impressive he has got the goals he has in such sides but England and Spurs have played tumescent football and to me that's not a positive thing, I wonder to what extent he contributes to that. He's also obsessed with dropping off which makes little sense with our personnel, there ain't no Son making lung busting runs.

Probably not for me, I think looking at David and maybe Osimhen for big money would be more prudent steps than hoping Kane is our v.Persie.

croadyman

Brobbey would be a great second option, but think he will stay at Ajax a bit longer. One of the most frequent scorers in the Eredivisie of all time (goals per 90).

Osimhen, and Martinez seem like the best bets.
Yeah those two are exactly the type we need

croadyman

Mixed feelings on Kane. Undoubtedly a class player but he's been functioning as part of attacking units that are an absolute stodgefest for a number of years now. You can say it's impressive he has got the goals he has in such sides but England and Spurs have played tumescent football and to me that's not a positive thing, I wonder to what extent he contributes to that. He's also obsessed with dropping off which makes little sense with our personnel, there ain't no Son making lung busting runs.

Probably not for me, I think looking at David and maybe Osimhen for big money would be more prudent steps than hoping Kane is our v.Persie.
Yeah think you are right

NoPace

Looking at the Martial thread, the fact that people (correctly) think that having him fit is so important to us underlines just how much an actual top class forward would immediately improve our team.
I think it also suggests that Joao Felix and Jonathan David might suit the football Ten Hag wants us to play here better than Osimhen. We seem to look to win the ball high up the pitch and play a lot of passes to feet to players on the half turn and link up with quick short passes, and those first 2 guys are well suited to that, as is Martial.

Osimhen might struggle playing against a deep line, apart from being an aerial threat, but we're not exactly hitting a ton of great crosses for Cristiano, who should still be looking an aerial threat with his timing and leap, even as the rest of his game drops off a cliff, since he can obviously still attack a ball in the air well.

Rashford's pace isn't doing a ton for us as a striker up top. I think we need a striker with a very good first touch who can play in crowded areas because Ten Hag's football so far looks most comfortable when Lisandro has it at the half way line or Antony has it on the right and then we look to link some quick short passes to combine and move the ball vertically quickly without everyone getting out of position or our fullbacks overlapping. A 9 who can turn with the ball and play a good one touch pass with his back to goal seems like the style that will work here best, so far.

From what I've seen Martinez is up to it, though I find he's either on or off whenever I've seen him, rarely just good. Kane would definitely be too, but I don't really see it happening. My guess is he takes a pay cut and ends up at Bayern.

UpWithRivers

Totally agree with his positioning potentially being a problem. But if Ten Hag thinks he fits where do you get a striker of this quality. 25 goals plus almost guaranteed. If we get David/Oshimen/Gakpo how many goals would we expect? 15 if they have a good season? Maybe Oshimen could get more but it would be a big leap/risk/gamble spending 100mill and betting he would. It may also take 2 seasons before they settle. Kane would walk in and do the business straight away. Rashford could get as many goals as them as a 9 even though he is no striker.
We just cant turn down Kane if its even remotely possible.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think it also suggests that Joao Felix and Jonathan David might suit the football Ten Hag wants us to play here better than Osimhen. We seem to look to win the ball high up the pitch and play a lot of passes to feet to players on the half turn and link up with quick short passes, and those first 2 guys are well suited to that, as is Martial.

Osimhen might struggle playing against a deep line, apart from being an aerial threat, but we're not exactly hitting a ton of great crosses for Cristiano, who should still be looking an aerial threat with his timing and leap, even as the rest of his game drops off a cliff, since he can obviously still attack a ball in the air well.

Rashford's pace isn't doing a ton for us as a striker up top. I think we need a striker with a very good first touch who can play in crowded areas because Ten Hag's football so far looks most comfortable when Lisandro has it at the half way line or Antony has it on the right and then we look to link some quick short passes to combine and move the ball vertically quickly without everyone getting out of position or our fullbacks overlapping. A 9 who can turn with the ball and play a good one touch pass with his back to goal seems like the style that will work here best, so far.

From what I've seen Martinez is up to it, though I find he's either on or off whenever I've seen him, rarely just good. Kane would definitely be too, but I don't really see it happening. My guess is he takes a pay cut and ends up at Bayern.
The only point I'd make is that I'd be wary of assuming the way we play now with ETH making the most of the players he has at his disposal is the way he'd ideally like to play once he gets the profile of players he wants in. Martial makes our current team better but that doesn't mean he's indicative of the type of striker ETH wants/needs up front. Particularly as a large part of the reason Martial makes our current team better is due to the poverty of alternatives.

When I look at the three main strikers we were linked with over the summer (Nunez, Sesko and Arnautovic), the reports across that time that ETH was looking for a more physical presence up front and his use of someone like Haller at both Ajax and Utrecht, I would be inclined to think that ETH's preferred addition up front will offer far more physicality than someone like Felix has to offer.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Randal Kolo Muani looks also like a strong player in his first season for Frankfurt. But then most strikers signed from Frankfurt didn't perform that well after their move (Haller, Silva, Jovic)

Wrecking ralf

Could probably do with 2 strikers really given Martial is always cropped. Sign David and then throw a bid in for that cousin of Haaland who is supposed to be a beast and let him finish the season at his current club. Then we’ve got a few options for now and the future. Job done.

Bojan Djordjic

Does anyone know which centre forwards are currently doing really well in south america? There was a report a week or two ago that utd were concentrating on centre fowards who play in south america presently?
Think Pedro at Flamengo is the established guy I've seen most hype about as being someone who could potentially do well in the top five leagues. Was previously in Europe with Fiorentina and it didn't work out but he's having a great season this year. Obviously there's younger kids that will have promising careers but are too young to be doing it consistently with senior teams like Endrick,

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Best thing about the January window now is that players are allowed to play in Europe with there new teams even if they’ve played in it that season. This means if a club gets knocked out then they may decide to leave in January to still play in Europe.

Anderson_7_

I'd rather sign a prospect like Moukoko than overhyped and overpriced Felix or 30 yo Kane.

croadyman

Totally agree with his positioning potentially being a problem. But if Ten Hag thinks he fits where do you get a striker of this quality. 25 goals plus almost guaranteed. If we get David/Oshimen/Gakpo how many goals would we expect? 15 if they have a good season? Maybe Oshimen could get more but it would be a big leap/risk/gamble spending 100mill and betting he would. It may also take 2 seasons before they settle. Kane would walk in and do the business straight away. Rashford could get as many goals as them as a 9 even though he is no striker.
We just cant turn down Kane if its even remotely possible.
Would definitely take Kane,however it can't be compared to when we signed Teddy at that sort of age due to finances involved. There is also the small matter of how hard Levy is to negotiate with especially over their most prized asset.

croadyman

The only point I'd make is that I'd be wary of assuming the way we play now with ETH making the most of the players he has at his disposal is the way he'd ideally like to play once he gets the profile of players he wants in. Martial makes our current team better but that doesn't mean he's indicative of the type of striker ETH wants/needs up front. Particularly as a large part of the reason Martial makes our current team better is due to the poverty of alternatives.

When I look at the three main strikers we were linked with over the summer (Nunez, Sesko and Arnautovic), the reports across that time that ETH was looking for a more physical presence up front and his use of someone like Haller at both Ajax and Utrecht, I would be inclined to think that ETH's preferred addition up front will offer far more physicality than someone like Felix has to offer.
Maybe he wants Felix because has serious reservations about Martial staying fit. Know it's greedy but feel we need both types of strikers in this squad to deal with different opponents.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
United will fight Bayern for the signature of Choupo-Moting.

NoPace

Yeah, I think that makes sense. My point was more that speed seems like the least important quality, since we're playing a high line, looking to have the ball, and do have Rashford as a pacy alternative in the few games a season where we can't really hope to control possession and force teams back. You're right that heading and some physicality would be nice.

Anyone seen Fullkrug at Werder Bremen play? He's 29, but his goal scoring record the last 4 years is solid and he'd presumably be someone we could sign for 12-15M in January if Cristiano goes, or even on loan if Werder feel they're in mid-table purgatory anyways.

Marcus Thuram is finally scoring goals. I know some people like him, and he does have size and mobility and can agree to a free transfer in January, so could see that happening if Ten Hag isn't convinced on the more expensive options.

kidbob

From what I've seen Oshimen is nowhere near good enough. Felix is a good player but not prolific enough for the price. David represents an interesting cheaper option but is a risk in terms of how good he really is. Toney costs too much for a guy of his talents. Sesko isn't worth what the asking price is.

Kane makes the most sense by far, as long as the price is ok, and that we are really scouting the world for the next up and comer to get them before they cost a bomb.

Let's be honest with ourselves, Kane shits all over all of the other options mentioned in this thread by a long way. Even as an overall footballer.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
From what I've seen Oshimen is nowhere near good enough. Felix is a good player but not prolific enough for the price. David represents an interesting cheaper option but is a risk in terms of how good he really is. Toney costs too much for a guy of his talents. Sesko isn't worth what the asking price is.

Kane makes the most sense by far, as long as the price is ok, and that we are really scouting the world for the next up and comer to get them before they cost a bomb.

Let's be honest with ourselves, Kane shits all over all of the other options mentioned in this thread by a long way. Even as an overall footballer.
Agreed on Kane. Even if we only get 3 great years out of him, i don't mind that 100m price tag.

Got this feeling that Pep and Klopp will feck off soon, and the League is suddenly wide open.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This is the type of thing I'd like to see along with signing Kane. Bringing in the best for now but also having a clear goal of what the future is.
Heh that's conservative of you. I'd like to see some cheap, clever signings.... with my BIG NAME STARS

Scholsey2004

Mateo Retegui at Tigre in Argentina looks a big talent. 23 year old centre forward.

NoPace

Anyone seen this kid at Braga play? Vitor Oliveira (another guy going by Vitinha). He's got 11 in 35 in the Portuguese league at age 22 and 4 goals tops everyone in the Europa League. Looks to have the power and link up play that would suit the way we're playing under Ten Hag.

NoPace

I'd say David is fairly low risk in that if we bought him for 50M and he just worked hard here and didn't score enough goals he can still be sold for 30M or so in 18-30 months at the age of 24-25. 37 goals in 88 games in Ligue 1 (after 30 in 60 as a teenager in Belgium) and 22 in 34 for Canada speaks for itself. Werner was bought for 47M and sold for 23M and that's after scoring 23 in 89 for Chelsea, which seems like the realistic floor (1 in 4) for a decent striker on a top Prem team.

That's a pretty low floor compared to spending a ton on Felix, Kane or Osimhen and with 2 years left to go, Lille might take 50M if he pushes. If we did this and it didn't work out and a top striker came on the market or Kane as a free agent it wouldn't kill us financially, losing 25M on fees, like spending 80M on Kane or Osimhen that could go wrong.

NoPace

He is absolutely fantastic and would cost a stupid (and I mean STUPID) amount of money.
Big question is can he play as a 9, or is he just a left winger. Or else Vinicius moves to the right and Madrid stick him out left. I'm not sure who else spends the 60-70M or so that Milan are entitled to ask (would be far more but he's down to one year left on his deal as of this summer). PSG if Mbappe goes. Bayern seem better with a pure 9. Don't see Milan selling to Juve unless he pulls a Lewandowski and says he's going there anyways. I guess Chelsea, but like us, it would be to use him as a pure striker.

Drizzle

I'd rather sign a prospect like Moukoko than overhyped and overpriced Felix or 30 yo Kane.
Kane gives us a shot at trophies over the next 3 seasons. Moukoko, whoever he is, gives us a roll of the dice at best. Maybe he works out, maybe not.

Litch

The great thing is there are lots out there, the bad thing is many might be in the shop window at the WC. We might end up priced out the market.....