The centre-forward market...

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I’m not sure we will sign an expensive star striker the next year. I think we will sign Gakpo in january (maybe financed by selling Elanga/Pellistri) and use Rashford/Martial up front. In addition we will go for a punt with different qualities to them. A bit like when we tried signing Arnautovic. Maybe Marcus Thuram who is available on Bosman? Then we will try to sign Kane in 2024 on a free.

Instead, I think we will try to sign a good midfielder (Bellingham, FdJ, Enzo?), a goalkeeper and Timber (if we manage to sell Maguire or Lindelof).

A right back probably depends on selling AWB, Laird and Williams.

RkkMan

I’m not sure we will sign an expensive star striker the next year. I think we will sign Gakpo in january (maybe financed by selling Elanga/Pellistri) and use Rashford/Martial up front. In addition we will go for a punt with different qualities to them. A bit like when we tried signing Arnautovic. Maybe Marcus Thuram who is available on Bosman? Then we will try to sign Kane in 2024 on a free.

Instead, I think we will try to sign a good midfielder (Bellingham, FdJ, Enzo?), a goalkeeper and Timber (if we manage to sell Maguire or Lindelof).

Gakpo is more of a wide player. Based off our ST targets last summer(Nunez/Arnautovic) Ten Hag wants someone physical presence front rather than another to you to me touches ST
It's not plausible to intentionally handicap ourselves for 2yrs in the ST position that's increasingly problematic when Ronaldo leaves on the *HOPE that Kane is available for free in 2024. It's both a long shot and bewilderingly incompetent. He may go elsewhere in 2023/2024 or sign a new deal
I do think we try for a new CM but that's where I suspect we try to make a smart signing as Enzo will be super expensive, FDJ is too obsessed with Barca and we have no chance at Bellingham
Can't see us going back for Timber two short CBs in the PL is an overkill it'll definitely be someone bigger and taller

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Gakpo is more of a wide player. Based off our ST targets last summer(Nunez/Arnautovic) Ten Hag wants someone physical presence front rather than another to you to me touches ST
It's not plausible to intentionally handicap ourselves for 2yrs in the ST position that's increasingly problematic when Ronaldo leaves on the *HOPE that Kane is available for free in 2024. It's both a long shot and bewilderingly incompetent. He may go elsewhere in 2023/2024 or sign a new deal
I do think we try for a new CM but that's where I suspect we try to make a smart signing as Enzo will be super expensive, FDJ is too obsessed with Barca and we have no chance at Bellingham
Can't see us going back for Timber two short CBs in the PL is an overkill it'll definitely be someone bigger and taller
Never suggested Gakpo as a striker.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble

Honestly, this is my take as well. First year of ETH's rebuild is 2022/23. Second year is 23/24. Realistically -- it will not be until 24/25 when we field our first complete competetive team under ETH.

Pep did win the PL his 2nd year with City, but he got 215m back in 2016 -- which had much less inflated prices than we see today -- and could make 7 bigger signings (Stones, Sané, Jesus, Gundogan, Bravo, Nolito and Zinchenko).

In the summer of 2017 -- Pep got 317m to work with, and could make another 7 big signings (Laporte, Mendy, Walker, Berando Silva, Ederson, Danilo and Douglas Luiz).

So before Pep could win -- anything -- with City, he needed 14 new signings and when he came there, he was given a team that already had players like Raheem Sterling, Nicolas Otamendi, Fernandinho, David Silva, Kevin De Bruyne, Yaya Toure and Sergio Aguero. That is 7 players that fitted his style of play really well, and I am surely forgetting 1-2 names here.

In addition -- remember that it was much much easier for City to recruit players. Pep had cult status, players definitly were prepared to take less to play with him. They were in the CL.

What has ETH been given? Its 5 signings, Malacia, Martinez, Eriksen, Casemiro and Antony, for like what 230-240m. He has a team with Rashford, Bruno, Shaw, Varane and Darlot as players that I would say fit what he is trying to build fairly well and could be labeled as true 1st team players for a contender, that is 5 players. Pep inherited a team with 7 players who could be labeled as first team players for a contender, and needed 530m and 14 new signings to win anything.

For the coming 3 transfer windows -- January 2023, the Summer of 2023 and January 2024 -- ETH will be given less than 230m. We know that for a fact, right? We are not in the CL yet.

From my POV, we must look at this as a project that also must include the summer of 2024. We started something in the summer of 2022 that will be finished in August 2024. To get where we want to be in August 2024, we must add a number of players. The order of which we add those players, should from my POV solely be based on what is most advantageous for the finished product we aim to have in August 2024.

When would it be best for us to try to land that one big world class striker? The summer of 2023 or the summer of 2024?

I think that its much easier to add depth at the state the team is in now. We are not a CL team. To get top players -- we must overpay tremendously. We cannot afford that. Give ETH a squad and players that fits what he is trying to build. Get back into the CL. Then go out and get the final last piece of the puzzle or two with a couple of major signings, and especially a world class striker.

Bokito

I think it's worth considering how ETH has filled the CF position in the past: either with a false 9 (Tadic, for instance), or a big target man (Haller, for instance). Depending on the other attackers. That's why I would think a target man would be the priority for ETH, not necessarily a typical world-class striker. Thus another type of player than most of the names mentioned. The weird thing is: I'd argue that Lukaku would've actually suited the ETH buildup quite well (which probably is heresy..) Or a younger version of Olivier Giroud.

For the more realistic signings: Kane could be an option, if Man Utd qualified for the CL (and Tottenham doesn't). Or a surprise signing, like that guy from Union Berlin, for instance (Jordan).

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
I think it's worth considering how ETH has filled the CF position in the past: either with a false 9 (Tadic, for instance), or a big target man (Haller, for instance). Depending on the other attackers. That's why I would think a target man would be the priority for ETH, not necessarily a typical world-class striker. Thus another type of player than most of the names mentioned. The weird thing is: I'd argue that Lukaku would've actually suited the ETH buildup quite well (which probably is heresy..) Or a younger version of Olivier Giroud.

For the more realistic signings: Kane could be an option, if Man Utd qualified for the CL (and Tottenham doesn't). Or a surprise signing, like that guy from Union Berlin, for instance (Jordan).
Agreed, and take one guy like Moussa Dembele, who everyone is saying like 'he is too average' to get as a striker. But he has the smarts of a classic centre forward/striker. With and without the ball. Like Harry Kane. How they constantly is working 'it'. Doing all the right things. Take someone like Jordan Ayew. Palace is playing better than ever this season. Sometimes you check the stats of someone like him and see that he has zero goals so far this year as Crystal's No 9. The last 70 games he has 4 goals. Always playing regularly for them. You never see them make a great play. But like this year, I've seen several Palace games by chance, he is a big big part of their game. Not necessarily as a target man. But just by constantly constantly being there, massaging D, forcing them to adopt to him. Engaging them. One striker can create so much open space, without doing anything himself. France won the World Cup with a striker who scored 0 or 1 goal, I don't remember, in Giroux.

Of course, you want that No 9 to score goals. To be able to dribble through a defense. To be able to scoring with a booming shot from long range. To find the back of the net after winning aerial battles on a regular basis. But the position is about a lot more than that.

If we are looking at Moussa Dembele, I can understand it. Brian Brobbey is another striker who played for Ten Hag. If ETH tells his scouts that appreciates a striker that always is turned on, that always is engaging the defenders, that always has that focus just going into every single situation looking to get something out of it -- Dembele does fit the bill in those regards. Then he is a fairly good finisher, fairly good dribbler, he has some speed for sure etc etc etc.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Just minutes ago became the youngest player to score 10 goals in the Bundesliga.

But it's questionable if he really is open to a move - reports are that he is just waiting for his 18th birthday to sign a new contract in Dortmund, so that his parents don't have to be involved. Apparently there are some issues in the family.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Just minutes ago became the youngest player to score 10 goals in the Bundesliga.

But it's questionable if he really is open to a move - reports are that he is just waiting for his 18th birthday to sign a new contract in Dortmund, so that his parents don't have to be involved. Apparently there are some issues in the family.
Marcus Thuram, on the other hand, is open to a move. Contract expires this summer. Best striker in the Bundesliga this season? 25 years old. Big unit with different qualities than our current options.

In ny opinion, we need at least one striker next season. Thuram is not the guy who wins us the league, but he could be a nice punt. Low risk, decent reward. Bringing in someone like Thuram could make sense from my point of view.

Borussia Teeth

Marcus Thuram, on the other hand, is open to a move. Contract expires this summer. Best striker in the Bundesliga this season? 25 years old. Big unit with different qualities than our current options.

In ny opinion, we need at least one striker next season. Thuram is not the guy who wins us the league, but he could be a nice punt. Low risk, decent reward. Bringing in someone like Thuram could make sense from my point of view.
Is he a striker or a winger? I've seen very little of him over the years, but when I have, he's been on the left. Is he another Rashford/Gakpo type or is he experienced and suited to playing centrally?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Is he a striker or a winger? I've seen very little of him over the years, but when I have, he's been on the left. Is he another Rashford/Gakpo type or is he experienced and suited to playing centrally?
He is a true striker, and yes he has a good season (again) and is likely a good option. Not world class, but definitely better or more reliable than any option United has right now (a top fit Martial on a good run would be much better, but just doesn't happen I think)

Borussia Teeth

He is a true striker, and yes he has a good season (again) and is likely a good option. Not world class, but definitely better or more reliable than any option United has right now (a top fit Martial on a good run would be much better, but just doesn't happen I think)
Thanks for the reply. I assume you're a BL follower: What's his hold up and link play like? I don't think we necessarily need a world class signing, just someone with a bit of physicality (he's a big unit) who can play with his back to goal and press a bit.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I think Stefan summarized it nicely. But I too remember him playing a lot on the left. That is often the case for young attackers with his attributes (pace and ability to beat a man in a one-on-one).

Lux Thunder

I would like us to make a smart move for Thuram in winter to secure the top 4 spot, he is solid enough - can't do worse than Ronaldo and we can't really rely on Martial. Then go big in the summer for Osimhen with Thuram as a backup option - it would be night and day difference in options for next season in comparison to the current.

Rolaholic

Osimhen is the top scorer in Serie A and is one of the best headers of the ball in Europe right now as seen in his first goal today

His vision and hold up play was also on display for the 2nd

Bojan Djordjic

Anybody know much about Udinese's Beto? He's currently slightly ahead of Osimhen in NPGXg/90 in the Italian league and has 6 goals for a team outside the European spots. Looks like a big lump of a lad but his dribble success is quite high so must have something about him.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I think it's worth considering how ETH has filled the CF position in the past: either with a false 9 (Tadic, for instance), or a big target man (Haller, for instance). Depending on the other attackers.
Depending on opposition actually. Even in the one season where Tadic played as a false 9, the majority of the time he played a target man(Huntelaar/Dolberg). Tadic played as a first 9 only when he thought they wouldn't have to face parked buses

Orion.

The market for forwards is woeful right now - football is in a huge decline generally.

In the Mancini era, City were able to bring in Adebayor, Dzeko, Balotelli, Aguero and Tevez etc fairly unopposed because the big clubs in Europe already had a stockpile of elite forwards, whereas now there are barely 5 you’d say are top class strikers.

Adamsk7

We’re gonna sign Gakpo in January and that’s it. We wanted him in the summer, he’s putting up great figures, ETH clearly likes him, he won’t be too expensive as PSV need the cash AND their manager is an ex player of ours. If that’s not stone wall I don’t know what is.

We may well get someone else in the summer too but right now I think it’s Gakpo or nothing

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
We’re gonna sign Gakpo in January and that’s it. We wanted him in the summer, he’s putting up great figures, ETH clearly likes him, he won’t be too expensive as PSV need the cash AND their manager is an ex player of ours. If that’s not stone wall I don’t know what is.

We may well get someone else in the summer too but right now I think it’s Gakpo or nothing
So an ETH revolutionary set-up of a double inside-left forward pivot?

OleGunnar20

Thuram looks a no brainer for January if the move is possible. Longer term, would Martinez fit well into ETH's style? He certainly has the right attitude from what I've seen of him. Does seem pretty settled at Inter though.

David perhaps as a different kind of option?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I fear the Glazers will look at the summer and say no more dosh, but what a waste that would be. Having to field this Ronaldo each week is like forcing ETH to win games with 10 players. It's almost that bad.

Get in any halfway decent striker and we'd be transformed. If it's a young, hungry one who can press? We would definitely make top 4.

croadyman

Osimhen is the top scorer in Serie A and is one of the best headers of the ball in Europe right now as seen in his first goal today

His vision and hold up play was also on display for the 2nd

Keep hearing he doesn't want to leave and then combine it with the €100m price tag which doesn't fill me with confidence

croadyman

Definitely still need a number 9 in summer

davidmichael

Likelihood of Juventus not finishing top 4 in the end is still pretty slim, but I think Vlahovic could be the best player we could get if that ends up transpiring
Juve are awful this season and definitely won’t finish ahead of Napoli, Milan or Inter whilst Atalanta are still playing well again this season, Roma are much better under Jose and Lazio look far stronger than Juve this season too so I think Juve could struggle for top 6 this season.

Idxomer

Juve are awful this season and definitely won’t finish ahead of Napoli, Milan or Inter whilst Atalanta are still playing well again this season, Roma are much better under Jose and Lazio look far stronger than Juve this season too so I think Juve could struggle for top 6 this season.
Maybe but hey they've been missing a significant number of players for weeks and are still only 3 points off 4th.

angak

ETH loves a big target man.

Needs to be able to bring others into play, a strong aerial threat.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Maybe but hey they've been missing a significant number of players for weeks and are still only 3 points off 4th.
Yeah, it seems we are going to field a Chiesa - Vlahovic - Di Maria at some point this evening or next week and everyone can see this is a pretty different proposition. The long WC break and the January window would possibly help rescue the wreckage in order to try and get that vital CL spot again.

Doracle

Would anyone be interested in Welbeck as an option for the short term? He won’t score goals but he’ll hold it up and allow the potentially free-scoring attacking midfield triumvirate to thrive.

croadyman

Would anyone be interested in Welbeck as an option for the short term? He won’t score goals but he’ll hold it up and allow the potentially free-scoring attacking midfield triumvirate to thrive.
Nah we have been there before

Rolaholic

Would rather sniff about Choupo-Moting this winter if we're going the short term fix route

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
History says we will go for a unit of a pure cfwd. The oldies of history are CR7, Cavani, Ighalo and the old Larsson back in '06?.

I also want to know when we will be going shopping for a young cf because I'm tired of half fit and unflavoured cfwds

Sea-Cow

I admit that I have watched only a handful of minutes of the guy, but is Gakpo slow? He looked kinda big and lumbering in the few minutes I saw against Arsenal.

Drizzle

I admit that I have watched only a handful of minutes of the guy, but is Gakpo slow? He looked kinda big and lumbering in the few minutes I saw against Arsenal.
He's not slow but he can be untidy on the ball so he can look clumsy.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
My guess is that ETH really would appreciate Randal Kolo Muani who signed with Eintracht Frankfurt as a Free Agent last season, turning down offers from both Liverpool and Tottenham.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/01/18/randal-kolo-muani-liverpool-tottenham-eintracht-frankfurt/

A bit of an Alexander Isak type, who we de facto also bid for. Tall and good in the air, speedy, but he especially has great vision and reads the play well, good technique and so forth.

Was just thinking, if you sign with Frankfurt as a free agent despite interest from big PL clubs — you should have been able to get a very generous release clause. Could be a real good value signing if he got a release clause of say 20-30m.

croadyman

History says we will go for a unit of a pure cfwd. The oldies of history are CR7, Cavani, Ighalo and the old Larsson back in '06?.

I also want to know when we will be going shopping for a young cf because I'm tired of half fit and unflavoured cfwds
Well Sky (yeah not great reliability I know) are saying that Sesko, Vlahovic & Osimhen are all on the shortlist who are young CF's

Zed 101

Remember the days when we had 4 strikers capable of scoring 20 plus goals a season? right now we have got zero strikers capable of that