The centre-forward market...

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Kane might be gettable next summer if he doesn't sign a new deal but he'll be 29.

The best, younger top-class CF on the market is Lautaro Martinez but he'll likely cost a fortune. Same for Osimhen, and Felix.

Cheaper options be might -

• Jonathan David
  • Patrik Schick (although he hasn't started the season well by the looks of it),
  • Tammy Abraham (questionable how good he'll be in the PL and I think he has a lower ceiling but certainly been great for Roma and homegrown)
  • Benjamin Sesko
People need to forget about Kane. As long as Conte is in charge and supported at Spurs Kane will most likely never leave

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Of the strikers I've seen enough to have a firm opinion on, Osimhen would be the one I like the most.

I see posters mention Toney above but though I think he's good I'm not sure that profile (someone better in general play than as a goal threat) particularly suits the team as is.

glasgow 21

Sesko has signed a pre contract with Leipzig and set to join them in 2023(same year Nkunku`s release clause kicks in) he could stay there for 2-4yrs which is too long a time without a ST when others around us will keep improving regardless of whether Pep stays. Would be foolish to intentionally handicap ourselves for one player that much who`s not guaranteed to join us when Gakpo, Lautaro, Abraham, Nkunku, Osimhen etc will all be available next year
The sesko deal is also a Red bull in house deal to appease FFP rules. Where are all the salzburg fans shouting not a penny less than 80 million plus Fred. 20 million makes you laugh.

Remember the geese

I'm intrigued to see what profile of striker we will be looking for. The tall, physical, traditional number 9 or more of a fluid false 9 type. I have a feeling we will go big for Osimhen, but I wouldn't be too surprised if we pulled off something crazy like Harry Kane or even Karim Benzema. Alternatively, Joao Felix or Christopher Nkunku would be interesting prospects if we wanted a different type of striker.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Kane might be gettable next summer if he doesn't sign a new deal but he'll be 29.

The best, younger top-class CF on the market is Lautaro Martinez but he'll likely cost a fortune. Same for Osimhen, and Felix.

Cheaper options be might -

• Jonathan David
  • Patrik Schick (although he hasn't started the season well by the looks of it),
  • Tammy Abraham (questionable how good he'll be in the PL and I think he has a lower ceiling but certainly been great for Roma and homegrown)
  • Benjamin Sesko
Kane is not a bad shout to be fair. Would work well in an EtH side

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm intrigued to see what profile of striker we will be looking for. The tall, physical, traditional number 9 or more of a fluid false 9 type. I have a feeling we will go big for Osimhen, but I wouldn't be too surprised if we pulled off something crazy like Harry Kane or even Karim Benzema. Alternatively, Joao Felix or Christopher Nkunku would be interesting prospects if we wanted a different type of striker.
I'd say this suits us better as neither Sancho nor Antony are physically dominant specimens or natural goalscorers. Well only get the best out of their well rounded skillsets with a clinical CF who is a big threat in the final third and can hold the ball up well.

RkkMan

I think we'll go for Gakpo. A lot of Dutch Football Experts think he'll have a similar transition to RVP/Henry from a winger to a ST. The little I've seen for him he does look like a ST playing out wide.
Ten Hag wanted him for a reason

Remember the geese

I'd say this suits us better as neither Sancho nor Antony are physically dominant specimens or natural goalscorers. Well only get the best out of their well rounded skillsets with a clinical CF who is a big threat in the final third and can hold the ball up well.
I would probably agree with you to be honest. Osimhen, Kane or Benzema it is then :)

Vapor trail

It's in times like these that scouts earn their influence. City did sign Haaland more I feel more out of opportunity than anything else. Alvarez has been signed and looks quality the offset of Sterling / G.Jesus has had little or next to no impact on their squad depth and capabilities.

Inside forwards are also a good watch away from the reliance of traditional strikers. Salah's goal contributions alongside Sons are proof of this. Even Rashford in form has had decent goal scoring output. I think there is a drought for clinical finishers but that is an ability related skillset more than anything else.

So rather than a breakout talent I think it's going to take scouting and a good system for their to be an establishment of central forwards because this market has shown only three have stood out of this recent generation and the jury is still out with Nunez if he can adapt to the league.

macheda14

Sesko looks very interesting, but will rely upon Martial handling business for at least two years. He has size, speed and technical ability. He’s not proven himself a ruthless goalscorer yet though.
Also literally just been bought by RB Leipzig and staying at Salzburg for the season.

Trequarista10

I keep hearing that the market is dry for forwards but i'm not sure I buy into that at all. I think for us we're just used to being the destination of top players so previously we may have got Haaland or Nunez where as now we're the level below.

Was there ever a massive market of decent forwards beyond those who went to the top clubs who could be acquired for a decent fee?
You'd have to go back to 90s/early 00s in my opinion, when teams played two strikers. Tons of quality forwards around. Been a steady decline since then cos forwards need to be complete players now, you can't have a speedster or goal poacher or target man or second striker, you need a player who can perform multiple of those roles. Tons of 90s centre forwards if coming through today would be wide forwards or attacking midfielders.

Definitely we used to have 1st or 2nd pick of the bunch though which also makes it worse for us. Gotta also question our recruitment. We used to pick out cheaper gems who were good options, Solskjaer, Forlan, Chicharito in addition to players who were top bracket/cost record fees, like Cole, Yorke, Ruud, Rooney, Berbatov, Van Persie etc.

DevilRed

Missing out on haaland really hurts us badly for the forseeable future.

Not sure there is anyone out there that even comes close at the moment

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Osimhen would be my choice. Not world class, probably won’t ever be but he’s a good forward

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think Nkunku was a big Rangnick target, and probably would’ve been the one he would’ve pushed hardest on. Already on 4 for 4 this season. Will be interesting if ten Hag sees a position for him anywhere.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
People need to forget about Kane. As long as Conte is in charge and supported at Spurs Kane will most likely never leave
You are forgetting that this could change in an instant. Conte is volatile and could walk at pretty much any point and it wouldn't be surprising.

Primex

I rather we sign Oshimen or wait two three seasons for sesko,I hate we end up with another Jovic kinda player looks good enough but couldn't make the step up.
For all recommending David he would struggle like Werner in Chelsea's team,good players but not good enough to be the focal point of the team,they won't be breezing past EPL defenses unless the have unbelievable technique or are big bullies unfortunately they are neither.
Toney is good but there are far better options than him,(Mousa dembele) if we wanted someone like him.
Joao pedro is another one to keep an eye for.
It's either we go big on Oshimen or sign someone like Depay and get the next hotshot.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'm pretty hyped up about sesko , waiting eagerly to see how he turns out.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Just seen, a deadline day coup it seems and only for 25M, thats a great deal for Rennes. With Kalimuendo and him they have bought two fine young strikers
Laborde went the other way as well, I think. Yeah, Kalimuendo is someone I think is going to be great. Would have loved him as a back up here.
Is Nice to Rennes an upgrade? They finished level on points last season?
I think Rennes are in a better place and more on the up than Nice, personally. Not a huge deal in it though.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Nobody seems to fancy Ligue 1 players. Surely one of them has to be worth a punt.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Is Nice to Rennes an upgrade? They finished level on points last season?
On paper, yes. Pinault is seemingly healed from the late 90s-early 2000s expensive flops and is ready to spend again. Currently they have a good coach and a talented young team.

AkaAkuma

Not a bad shout particularly if juventus are broke
I think he’s the most likely of the following pack to be the next elite all round striker.

we’d have to do a lot of early leg work with his agent to get him focussed on a move here over any other club.
Also need to get him out of Italy pronto as a lot of the players there don’t want to leave the lifestyle after awhile.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Kane is not a bad shout to be fair. Would work well in an EtH side
Kane doesn’t work the same here for me. Kane doesn’t belong in a team with a 10 as he wants to do that himself, which will only increase as he ages and tries to avoid centre halves. He also needs a Son, so if Rashford isn’t going to be a starter, I don’t think he works with Sancho and Antony.

saik

I think the Arnautovic link was to have some one rotating for 2-3 years and go back in for Sesko then. Really gutted we have missed out on Sesko though. He definitely would have started couple of matches for us already with all the injuries and shenanigans we have been dealing with.

Has anyone mentioned Broja? I like him as an alternative and would have been delighted if we did a straight swap with Ronaldo going the other way. May be add in 10m as well.

RkkMan

I think the Arnautovic link was to have some one rotating for 2-3 years and go back in for Sesko then. Really gutted we have missed out on Sesko though. He definitely would have started couple of matches for us already with all the injuries and shenanigans we have been dealing with.

Has anyone mentioned Broja? I like him as an alternative and would have been delighted if we did a straight swap with Ronaldo going the other way. May be add in 10m as well.
Broja signed a 6yr contract with Chelsea today

Valencia Shin Crosses

For the record, Haaland was about two tiers above any other option on the market. He’s sure as shit above Nunez.

I’m also of the opinion that unless you can get a freak like Haaland, you’re better off getting a more well rounded CF that can create and is technically proficient unless you are already a team full of creators. So grabbing an in the box merchant that’s going to have the ball bouncing off of their feet constantly is not a smart way of doing business.

Sesko, Felix, and Nkunku should be the first names on the list.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Strangely Atlético de Madrid used to sign and produce quite a few outstanding strikers although they payed a lot for Joao Felix. In the Premier League the last striker I thought was quite good and complete was Raul Jimenez before his injury.