The chase for 4th place (not top 4)

Nero

Now everyone has caught up with what was obvious for a couple of months and realised we won't get it, do we think we'll finish 6th (Europa), 7th (Conference) or 8th (nothing)?

I think 6th is a long shot.
Hopefully 8th.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
If we could forfeit the rest of the season, we should. United should be paying its fans for sticking by them

ArunCph

Supports
Tottenham
United have no conviction in its game. Arsenal found theirs a while back - Spurs have certainly found it since March.
Both Arsenal & Spurs will fight to the finish.

What makes this even more interesting is Chelsea could get dragged into this if they drop their levels.
If Arsenal win over Palace today then they will be 2 pts away from Chelsea with a game in hand and they play Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in 3 weeks.

Spurs look to have the best fixture list of the 3 but they need both Chelsea & Arsenal to drop points. Pressure is on now - lets see how this all plays out.

Hughes35

Before the weekend it was a long shot, now it's completely dead in the water.

I think we will finish 8th which is embarrassing for a club of our size.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
We need to finish at least 5th to prepare for the worst. Players wont accomplish that.

Mike Smalling

Anything below 5th will mean no Europe next season right? Or does it depend on Cup winners?

I am actually thinking it would be good for us not to play EL next season. We can then trim down the squad significantly. Get rid of the likes of Mata, Cavani, Matic, Pogba, Lingard, Bailly, Jones, Martial, etc., bring in 2-3 quality additions and use youth players like Garner, Amad and Mejbri. At least it would be something new.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Anything below 5th will mean no Europe next season right? Or does it depend on Cup winners?

I am actually thinking it would be good for us not to play EL next season. We can then trim down the squad significantly. Get rid of the likes of Mata, Cavani, Matic, Pogba, Lingard, Bailly, Jones, Martial, etc., bring in 2-3 quality additions and use youth players like Garner, Amad and Mejbri. At least it would be something new.
FA Cup will likely be won by a team that qualified for CL considering Crystal Palace are the only ones left who are not currently firmly in top 4, so 6th and 7th placed teams will get Europa League spots and 8th team will go into Conference League. So we will almost certainly be in Europe next year as we are 14 points ahead of Leicester in 9th.

Mike Smalling

FA Cup will likely be won by a team that qualified for CL considering Crystal Palace are the only ones left who are not currently firmly in top 4, so 6th and 7th placed teams will get Europa League spots and 8th team will go into Conference League. So we will almost certainly be in Europe next year as we are 14 points ahead of Leicester in 9th.
Wouldn't it be 5th and 6th EL, and 7th Conference League in that case?

Mike Smalling

No, League Cup has already been won by Liverpool so that spots goes to a Premier League team as well.
From what I can gather from the PL's website, there are seven European places up for grabs.

UCL: 1st-4th Places in the PL
UEL: 5th place + FA Cup Winner
UECL: EFL Cup Winner

There are no league qualification spots for the Conference league. So no matter how the cups are won, I don't think an 8th place can give European football next season.

Sarni

From what I can gather from the PL's website, there are seven European places up for grabs.

There are no league qualification spots for the Conference league. So no matter how the cups are won, I don't think an 8th place can give European football next season.
Indeed the number of EL spots has been reduced to 2, I did not know that. So 8th will not give us Europe indeed.

Mike Smalling

Indeed the number of EL spots has been reduced to 2, I did not know that. So 8th will not give us Europe indeed.
Exactly. Given that 4th is probably out of reach, we are in a situation where 5th or 6th would be ok, 7th would be a nightmare and 8th or below would be ok. I just don't want to see this club in the Conference League.

sangria

Liverpool have already secured this spot, which leaves only 6 spots for United.

Sarni

Exactly. Given that 4th is probably out of reach, we are in a situation where 5th or 6th would be ok, 7th would be a nightmare and 8th or below would be ok. I just don't want to see this club in the Conference League.
Yeah, I'd probably want us in Europa as that is a good opportunity for the new coach to test his players in Europe and there are usually some very decent sides there - especially second half of the competition when eliminated CL teams join. Conference is pointless, though if we were there I'd hope we would use it to play our second team.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I want to finish 8th now. Think it will be a blessing in disguise. We get to trim the squad and with the world cup being mid season it could actually massively play to our advantage next season.

Vapor trail

United have played poorly all season, whereas Arsenal seem to be carrying the most momentum due to their performances.

Spurs are inconsistent, I can't see Conte staying for long unless no players are sold and they spend large sums in the summer market.

Unless a drop off Arsenal will finish fourth or third.

Hastar

Supports
Liverpool
I speak on behalf of all Liverpool fans that we would be more than willing to give that place in UECL to United.

On a serious note, I agree with some of the posters above that a season without Europe would actually help United sort themselves out.

Mike Smalling

Which means it will go to either 6th or 7th place in the league, depending on the winner of the FA Cup. Most likely the spot will go to 7th.

James35

I hope we get conference league, I would love to see how they spin it into something positive.

Could also be the embarrassing kick in the teeth the club needs.

I don’t see us getting more than 12 (3 wins, 3 draws, 2 defeats) of remaining 24 points available so let’s see where that leaves us…?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I speak on behalf of all Liverpool fans that we would be more than willing to give that place in UECL to United.

On a serious note, I agree with some of the posters above that a season without Europe would actually help United sort themselves out.
I keep flip-flopping on this. Currently I don't agree, but really it all comes down to whether a new manager would get more benefit, from a coaching perspective, from training ground time or more games so I've added it as a pro and a con. Other than that:

Pros
  • Would allow us to strip down our squad
  • Fewer matches would help us out in the league
  • More time on the training pitch for new manager

Cons
  • Very difficult to attract quality players without any European football at all
  • Lose a potential route into the CL the season after
  • Less football. There are still some fans left who like watching United play
  • Lose the most likely opportunity to use youth
  • Less competitive matches for manager to assess players/progress
  • Loss of matchday revenue - not insignificant

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
If you make use of that year, it works out well.

But.. if you don't then it can turn into something very bad quickly, could be a bad slope.

Hard to see United making use of it when they're starting from scratch. For us at least we had 1.5 years of Arteta where he had worked on things before this year.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Down to Spurs & Arsenal
Absolutely. We have no chance. Next few games will determine if it's going to go down to the wire or Arsenal will be fairly comfortable. Hopefully Arsenal slip up so we at least get a contest.

croadyman

Absolutely. We have no chance. Next few games will determine if it's going to go down to the wire or Arsenal will be fairly comfortable. Hopefully Arsenal slip up so we at least get a contest.
Yeah quite honestly would rather have no European Football than be in Europa. Would say we saw the benefit of it with Chelsea & Leicester in recent seasons. Mind you those squads were actually on the same page which we clearly aren't.

I also don't buy into needing European Football to attract players because most of this time they are Social Media obsessed overpaid shirkers.

Last edited:

ti vu

I keep flip-flopping on this. Currently I don't agree, but really it all comes down to whether a new manager would get more benefit, from a coaching perspective, from training ground time or more games so I've added it as a pro and a con. Other than that:

Pros

Cons
  • Very difficult to attract quality players without any European football at all
Kante joined Chelsea from Leicester despite Chelsea being without any kind of European football. EL and ECL are not the thing, quality players look at. Thursday evening to North, East Europe are not really attractive.

To gain the potential route, it would require bigger investment for squad depth which is counter productive. You need bigger squad, but since these competition doesn't pay out well, you would take out from your already reduced transfer budget. Keeping underperforming, unmotivated players around for this competition is risky. They're not happy with just playing EL and domestic cups alone. They're time bombs that would trigger other issue when the team league form is not good. Not all players are selfless reasonable. In truth, sounds like many are selfish, self centered, lacking in situational and self awareness.

It's not that simple to play youth in these 2 competitions. Seasoned pro teams from smaller leagues are well capable of dispatching the inexperienced youth team. With third placed in EL group has another chance in ECL, teams from smaller league are more motivated to play until the very end. And with all the COVID outbreak affecting schedule, you don't want to play the extra round with CL dropout in EL/playing that extra round in ECL after dropping down from EL. So you want to finish first place in the group, which playing youth doesn't guarantee.

38 league games and two domestic cups, especially with a World Cup in the middle of the season this time is more than enough to assess the players. It's not like the whole squad got called up for World Cup. Clubs managers can call up U23 players, and train them if they want too during this time.

All in all, there is no con beside losing another chance to win a trophy, in our situation.

Last edited:

peridigm

Unpopular opinion I'm sure but without CL, EL is a good place to be despite how everyone feels about it. It can be used to give youth and squad players experience in Europe. It would be foolish for us to miss out on European competition completely.

croadyman

Unpopular opinion I'm sure but without CL, EL is a good place to be despite how everyone feels about it. It can be used to give youth and squad players experience in Europe. It would be foolish for us to miss out on European competition completely.
Not really might mean those yankee leeches actually sell up and feck off sooner

Delano

All aboard the let's finish 8th train.
I'm coming around to this way of thinking.

I genuinely couldn't care less about finishing top 4 - we've done absolutely nothing in the competition for a decade, and ultimately all it does is put more money into the Glazers coffers.

We'll attract good players regardless, but if it means we need to actually think about what we are doing, remove the dead weight and have a proper reset without European football, so be it.

croadyman

I'm coming around to this way of thinking.

I genuinely couldn't care less about finishing top 4 - we've done absolutely nothing in the competition for a decade, and ultimately all it does is put more money into the Glazers coffers.

We'll attract good players regardless, but if it means we need to actually think about what we are doing, remove the dead weight and have a proper reset without European football, so be it.
Yeah I am definitely in that camp now

Wheato

I'd be happy with 8th. Not only does it give the Glazers a kick in the nuts financially, we avoid those torturous Thursday/Sunday games in the Europa league/conference. I've also got two seasons tickets and do not want to fork out good money to watch Lincoln red imps getting torn a new one by the reserves.

We can re-group like Arsenal have this season and concentrate our efforts on building some momentum in the league. If we have spare gaps in the season, take the squad on a training camp to Dubai. Oh, and there is a World Cup in nov/dec.

Sarni

Pros

Cons
I kind of agree with that, except for attracting players - I don't think Europa League or especially Conference League would be a big attraction for the type of players we should be targeting, and about using youth - we'd most likely just play our strongest team as usual anyway.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
If we play the reserves for the rest of the league games we might actually finish 6th. To finish 8th I reckon we should just keep playing our first team players a.k.a our beloved bunch of overpaid mercenaries will do the job for us. The one thing they can deliver on is underperforming

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
To barely be in the mix for 4th this far out is some achievement.