Film The Christmas Movie Thread

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The best Christmas movie I've objectively seen is Mon Oncle Antoine, a sort of neorealist Canadian movie about the dissolution of mining communities in the 70s.

I wouldn't rewatch it every year like Die Hard though

redcucumber

Black Christmas, Nightmare Before Christmas and Planes, Tranes, and Automobiles are great.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Tranes, and Automobiles are great.
Just ... the ... best! Every year me and my kids watch this one.

I know it's technically a thanksgiving movie, there's snow, family dinners and a main theme of giving, understanding and forgiveness ... such a lovely film! Perfect.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Prime and Netflix are shite again this year for Christmas movies in the UK. No Christmas Vacation, Scrooged or even Santa Claus the movie.

FriedClams

Love actually is the biggest crock of shit i've ever witnessed. The movie depicts a happy ending for everyone involved almost, but I have issues with it.

1. The lady who discovers her husband bought someone else a necklace....DONT GO SNOOPING IN POCKETS. two wrongs don't make a right, and honestly, the CD her husband bought her was actually kinda sweet.
2. The guy who goes to america, spends the night with the poor American babes who stay in an upstairs 1 bedroom flat because they have no money, but they can all of a sudden afford tickets to the UK during the busiest travel time of the year, at VERY short notice
3. Liam neeson and that kid see the American singing girl leave for the airport...presumably for the international flight they need to be there at least 2 hours before... Neeson says he knows a shortcut, but when we next see him, the american girl is through security, an dis boarding the plane... was the shortcut to heathrow via manchester? Bollox.
4. The guy who holds up the signs for his best friends new bride. She still kisses him, and doesnt tell her husband a thing. One of the worst cases of backstabbing i've ever seen. Despicable.

Honestly, what an awful movie.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
These are my personal favorites. I like to watch these back-to-back and complain about how my mom's unseasoned food still is too spicy.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Parody but someone should make this movie. Turn Kevin into a Dexter style serial killer.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Not strictly a Christmas film, actually a thanksgiving film but Planes, Trains and Automobiles is just about perfect. That ending always makes my eyes leak.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Planes, Trains and Automobiles is the only John Hughes film I can bear. Even though the films get's overly sentimental in the last act, it has earned the right to do so. But otherwise I'm not a fan of John Hughes films altogether.

This year I watched The Holdovers by Alexander Payne, a terribly overlooked director. Such a rich film with character, charisma and heart without being overly dramatic or mushy.

So that's probably my favourite recent holiday film.

Other films I dont mind viewing during the holiday seasons are :To Live and Die in L.A, The Thing, Nightmare before Christmas, Terminator 2, Aliens, Godfather, Cinema Paradiso, L'Avventura, Mulholland Drive. Quite a mix really.

Last edited:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
need to watch Bad Santa again - maybe Christmas night my boy wants to see Oppenheimer tomorrow.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Planes, Trains and Automobiles is the only John Hughes film I can bear. Even though the films get's overly sentimental in the last act, it has earned the right to do so. But otherwise I'm not a fan of John Hughes films altogether.

This year I watched The Holdovers by Alexander Payne, a terribly overlooked director. Such a rich film with character, charisma and heart without being overly dramatic or mushy.

So that's probably my favourite recent holiday film.

Other films I dont mind viewing during the holiday seasons are :To Live and Die in L.A, The Thing, Nightmare before Christmas, Terminator 2, Aliens, Godfather, Cinema Paradiso, L'Avventura, Mulholland Drive. Quite a mix really.
The Holdovers is such a beautiful film, definitely worth a place on future lists. Not just a Christmas film IMHO, but generally one of the best films of the year. I don't think Payne gets overlooked. He's the kind of "storyteller" that exists inside his own niche and has his fans. It's just that his previous film wasn't good and it's been a decade between Nebraska and The Holdovers.

Oldyella

Watched It's a Wonderful Life last night. Lovely film. Dont think it topples Muppets Christmas Carol but will certainly watch it again next year.