Film The Christmas Movie Thread

acnumber9

I watched the Santa Clause tonight with my other half and it got me thinking about Christmas movies.

My favourite is Muppet Christmas Carol butI always end up watching Love Actually every single year (maybe because I’m a Brit).

I’m sure there’s been threads on this before but thought I’d start a new one. What’re your favourites? Do you have one you watch every year or one your family insists on watching?

Most importantly of all...is Die Hard a Christmas movie?
Of course it is, and anyone who says otherwise isn’t worthy of your time.

Superunknown

Home Alone and The Muppet Christmas Carol are both tied as my favourite Christmas films. I adore both. It's amazing how both are still revered as the ultimate Christmas films and I'm impressed with how both continue to stand the test of time. I work in a school and it's great to see these two titles pop up every single year when kids talk about their favourite Christmas films.

To complete the top five, I would put Home Alone 2 there (not as great as the first, but I still really like it), Jingle All The Way, and Die Hard. I've also seen Scrooged mentioned in here, which is also a fantastic shout!

.Phil1968

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation is my favourite, his rant at the end is hilarious.
On a side note just shared a piss take post on Facebook expressing regret at all those who died in The Nakatomi 31 years ago and a woman who I work with has posted a sad emoji. Should I tell her ?

bsCallout

Muppets Christmas Carol
Home Alone
ELF
The Grinch
Its A Wonderful Life

SirAF

Ageist
I watched the Santa Clause tonight with my other half and it got me thinking about Christmas movies.

My favourite is Muppet Christmas Carol butI always end up watching Love Actually every single year (maybe because I’m a Brit).

I’m sure there’s been threads on this before but thought I’d start a new one. What’re your favourites? Do you have one you watch every year or one your family insists on watching?

Most importantly of all...is Die Hard a Christmas movie?
Yes!

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I tend to watch alteast two of these during the Christmas holidays:

Die Hard
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Nightmare before Christmas
Prestige
Ivan's Childhood
Groundhog day
Dr Strangelove

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think this year I may watch The Road or Threads to get me into the mood for 2021.

Deery

Dreary
It’s not a Christmas movie but I watched The Guard last year on Christmas Eve at around midnight was a great way to see in the day..

Ramos

Die Hard 1 & 2

Yes, Die Hard 2 is ALSO a christmas movie. Maybe even more than the original.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
As I live in the US things are obviously different, especially wrt to Planes Trains and Automobiles; that's a Thanksgiving film so that stays with that holiday, for us anyway.

For Christmas we tend to watch Home Alone 1 & 2 (just did that the last two nights); Elf; It's a Wonderful Life (parts of it); The Santa Clause; A Christmas Story; and maybe Love Actually.

For New Year's Eve I've lined up When Harry Met Sally.
Any other good NYE movies?

Drawfull

Miracle on 34th Street (the more modern one) and Love Actually will normally get an airing.

I don't really know why, but I watch the Indiana Jones films (including Crystal Skull) every Christmas. And both the good Die Hards.

For a change, I watched Trading Places and Brewster's Millions this week for the first time in ages. The former is definitely an Xmas film in my view.

Drawfull

As I live in the US things are obviously different, especially wrt to Planes Trains and Automobiles; that's a Thanksgiving film so that stays with that holiday, for us anyway.

For Christmas we tend to watch Home Alone 1 & 2 (just did that the last two nights); Elf; It's a Wonderful Life (parts of it); The Santa Clause; A Christmas Story; and maybe Love Actually.

For New Year's Eve I've lined up When Harry Met Sally.
Any other good NYE movies?
WHMS is a good shout.

I suppose what we can take from this thread is that we're a bunch of soppy cnuts.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Die hard wouldn't happen if it wasn't Christmas. The party is a Xmas party, he is there because it's Xmas too. Therefore it's a Xmas movie.

Saw Better Watch Out (2016) yesterday and it was a surprising gem.

Such a tight, clever little thriller/horror with just the right amount of self-awareness - elevated hugely by great performances from both leads.

It's dark, original, has characters you will absolutely despise and others you'll root for...and above all, it's just an entertaining, fun, slightly twisted watch.

If you're planning on seeing it - do not read anything about it. I saw a couple of critics cautioning this at the start of their reviews and clicked off before reading further...and I'm glad I did.

See it completely blind.

gza the genius

Every year we watch;

Both Home Alone's
All 3 Grinch movies (the newest animated one is actually very good)
Muppet Christmas Carol
Scrooged
Miracle on 34th Street (newer one)
It's A Wonderful Life
I'll Be Home for Christmas
The Santa Claus
The Night Before

I usually sneak in Batman Returns, Black Christmas, Krampus The Shining and Hateful 8. The last two aren't Christmas at all, but there's snow and I like them, so they count for me.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I just don’t get it as a Christmas film - depressing as feck. Still got 30 mins left, but I definitely won’t be adding this to any Christmas Eve tradition.
There's your answer; you have to stay till the end.

Zu Zu's petals!

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
WHMS is a good shout.

I suppose what we can take from this thread is that we're a bunch of soppy cnuts.
:lol: at this time of the year and full of alcohol in the evenings, yes. Next thing you know I'll be singing of the ould country ;)
I haven't seen WHMS in years but was telling my daughter that she ought to watch it (with us), as opposed to hanging out in her room, gaming.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I've downloaded our yearly Christmas themed horror movie. 2020 we will be watching Santa's Slay. Hoping it will be better than most years.