Film The Christmas Movie Thread

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I watched the Santa Clause tonight with my other half and it got me thinking about Christmas movies.

My favourite is Muppet Christmas Carol butI always end up watching Love Actually every single year (maybe because I’m a Brit).

I’m sure there’s been threads on this before but thought I’d start a new one. What’re your favourites? Do you have one you watch every year or one your family insists on watching?

Most importantly of all...is Die Hard a Christmas movie?

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
Home Alone 1 and 2 are the best but everyone knows that already.

Gremlins is great. While I suppose it's not 100% a Christmas film in that it's about Christmas, it's set at Christmas and is definitely much more of a Christmas film that Die Hard (which I suppose technically qualifies) because of all the snow and general vibes.

AaronRedDevil

My favourites are Muppets Christmas Carol, Santa Clause 1-3 and the Grinch, jim Carey is just hilarious.

And yes Die Hard is a Christmas movie and possibly the best one.

Smores

We watch muppets christmas carol whilst the decorations go up as a ritual. Santa Claus, Grinch, Jingle all the way usually as filler then Love actually, Krampus, wonderful life during Christmas week.

Love actually is far from a great movie but it warms my bitter heart and is the one that makes it feel like Christmas for me.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
I watched the Santa Clause tonight with my other half and it got me thinking about Christmas movies.

My favourite is Muppet Christmas Carol butI always end up watching Love Actually every single year (maybe because I’m a Brit).

I’m sure there’s been threads on this before but thought I’d start a new one. What’re your favourites? Do you have one you watch every year or one your family insists on watching?

Yes

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I plan to re-watch The Negotiator. It's not a Christmas themed movie, but a still feels a great watch for the evening

TheReligion

Abusive

Great thread mate. Just where I need to be right about now!

Yes I'll be watching Elf this evening. Got it downloaded ready to go on the Sky Box. Die Hard is a Christmas movie but I'd place it in the alternate bracket.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Planes, Trains & Automobiles?
Technically a thanksgiving film but easily my favourite festive film. The heart in this film is massive and you have to be a real flinty hearted, dark souled misery guts to not be moved in the final scene.

Not a Christmas film. Get out.
What on earth are you blathering about??? It is 100% a Christmas movie, you get out! :)

Volumiza

I actually love the Muppets Christmas Carol. Also A Charlie Brown Christmas. Loved that as a boy and we watch this as a family every year. Massive heart in this and the music to it is insanely good in its own right.

Woodzy

Technically a thanksgiving film but easily my favourite festive film. The heart in this film is massive and you have to be a real flinty hearted, dark souled misery guts to not be moved in the final scene.

What on earth are you blathering about??? It is 100% a Christmas movie, you get out! :)
It’s a film set at Christmas time. There’s a difference.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
My favourites

Home Alone 1&2
The Santa Clause
Planes, Trains and Automobiles (Thanksgiving movie but set around the festive period so watch every year around Christmas time)
Die Hard
Jingle all the way

JB7

So is literally every other Christmas film.
Yes and they tend to be based around Santa or Christmassy stuff rather than just being a bloody shoot em up. Never in a million years is it a Christmas film.

Volumiza

Yes and they tend to be based around Santa or Christmassy stuff rather than just being a bloody shoot em up. Never in a million years is it a Christmas film.
It just depicts a different side to Christmas and instils in us the very Christmassy message of 'Be thankful for what you have, things could be a lot worse'.

JB7

It just depicts a different side to Christmas and instils in us the very Christmassy message of 'Be thankful for what you have, things could be a lot worse'.
For me a Christmas film has to only work as a film if it's set at Christmas. Die Hard could easily work at any time of year and as such I wouldn't class it as a Christmas film (same goes for Home Alone quite frankly but probably best not to open that can of worms), it's like how Sky tries to shoehorn one of the old Batman films in as a Christmas film nowadays because there's a bloody tree in it.

That and Bruce Willis himself literally saying it's not a Christmas film.

Volumiza

That and Bruce Willis himself literally saying it's not a Christmas film.
What does he know ? :)

Well, I will choose to continue enjoying Die hard as a Christmas film and offer you the equal right to disagree ...

Even if you are wrong! JK

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
I always make the kids watch Castaway with me. It's only got Christmas in it at the start and not really a Christmas movie at all, but I like that it's ours.

I hope that whenever it's on throughout their lives, it gives them that little reminder of home.

Tiber

Watching The Santa Clause and the non-animated Grinch tonight.

The Santa Clause Is my favourite christmas movie

Deery

Dreary
Scrooged has to be the best Christmas movie, don’t see it on this year however..

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Not sure if it counts as a Christmas movie, but i always watch the animated adaptation of Raymond Briggs's 'Father Christmas' on Christmas morning.

SuperiorXI

It's like claiming Jurassic Park is a Christmas film if it happened to be set on Christmas Eve.

Muppet Christmas Carol... now that's a Christmas film.
John McClane sends a terrorist down a lift with a "ho ho ho" sign on him

That's one of the greatest Christmas moments of all time

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
John McClane sends a terrorist down a lift with a "ho ho ho" sign on him

That's one of the greatest Christmas moments of all time
He's separated from his wife for Christmas and has to overcome a number of obstacles and bad guys in order to be reunited with her at the end. It's essentially Home Alone for grown ups.

CallyRed

Favourites

Elf
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Miracle on 34th Street
Bad Santa

Quite a varied bunch

Disney’s Christmas Carol with Scrooge McDuck

Love Actually, cause “Brit” and Swedish family loves it.

Die Hard.

Elf

Home Alone 1 & 2.

Miracle on 34th Street.

Anyone watched this jingle jangle with Forest Whittaker yet ? We’re gonna do that today as well as Love Actually. (We celebrate today you know).

Oh, and obviously as we’re in Sweden and these nutters plan their entire xmas around Donald Duck (Kalle Anka) at 3pm, that too of course.