The Continual Fall Of Paul Gascoigne

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't think it's that unlikely that a woman wouldn't recognise a has-been footballer from several decades ago.
When he's been as high profile as Gazza, and is continually on the news, I don't think it'd exactly be unlikely

Santos J

She said she noticed Mr Gascoigne being "very noisy" on the train, adding: "There were lots of cans on the floor."

Yeah of course there was. Sounds better in the press doesn't it.

I agree Gazza was wrong but why must people tell lies. They wont be happy until he is 6 feet under

Poor Gazza
Were you there?

bludsucker

I don’t get this “poor gazza” line that people use to excuse his behavior. If anything people should feel sorry for his family and friends who have to put up with all his antics. I mean that in a general sense as I don’t know about gazza’s family situation. Addicts’ behavior shouldn’t be excused as it is their own fault for being weak to succumb to addiction.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Addicts’ behavior shouldn’t be excused as it is their own fault for being weak to succumb to addiction.
You shouldn't generalise like that, really.

Sir Scott McToMinay

I don’t get this “poor gazza” line that people use to excuse his behavior. If anything people should feel sorry for his family and friends who have to put up with all his antics. I mean that in a general sense as I don’t know about gazza’s family situation. Addicts’ behavior shouldn’t be excused as it is their own fault for being weak to succumb to addiction.
Of course it shouldn’t.
I’ve seen people get away from much more addictive substances than Alcohol (methamphetamine, opiates), either way when you can’t tell right from wrong to such an extent, you can get fecked in my book.

Let’s cut the crap, he’s an alcoholic because it’s easy, I could easily become one too, and when you have enough money it makes it even easier, it gives him an excuse to keep acting like a complete cnut and people would keep saying “oh poor gazza”, he’s not poor, he’s an absolute waste of space at this point.

Should be put in a zoo.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Of course it shouldn’t.
I’ve seen people get away from much more addictive substances than Alcohol (methamphetamine, opiates), either way when you can’t tell right from wrong to such an extent, you can get fecked in my book.

Let’s cut the crap, he’s an alcoholic because it’s easy and it gives him an excuse to keep acting like a complete cnut and people would keep saying “oh poor gazza”, he’s not poor, he’s an absolute waste of space at this point.

Should be put in a zoo.
There are all kinds of reasons for addiction. Again, generalising is an error.

Sir Scott McToMinay

There are all kinds of reasons for addiction. Again, generalising is an error.
He can be an alcoholic and act like a clown as much as he wants to at his private home, he can drink himself to death, I couldn’t care less, but when his disgusting behavior starts affecting innocent people, feck that.

bludsucker

You shouldn't generalise like that, really.
While I agree with your point, that doesn’t apply to this case as gazza has been given numerous chances to get his life back on track. He keeps going back to the same thing and keeps doing the same shit again and again.

Jezpeza

Did he have some fishing rods and ham sandwiches with him this time?

RedFish

He can be an alcoholic and act like a clown as much as he wants to at his private home, he can drink himself to death, I couldn’t care less, but when his disgusting behavior starts affecting innocent people, feck that.
There are no innnocent people! :lol:
While I agree with your point, that doesn’t apply to this case as gazza has been given numerous chances to get his life back on track. He keeps going back to the same thing and keeps doing the same shit again and again.
.....and that is the horrendous cycle of addiction, and depression. Death by a thousand cuts. You talk of him repeating the cycle as if possessed the resilience one might expect from a person of healthy mind. What does that say about you or anyone so quick to judge?

RedFish

Feck me, I'm glad mental health services have moved beyond this. That sentence is truly frightening.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Some real strange posts here. Of course everyone is accountable for their actions and there are no excuses for any kind of assault, that's pretty obvious (and generally, I see that both in terms of individuals and countries, there's plenty of sociopathy around). But addiction can't just be summed up as weakness. I don't think I know of a single case where it's not the result of trauma(ta).

Pablo76

I saw him in Bournemouth town centre last week (he lives down here so I see him in my local Tesco every few months) , he looked healthier than I've seen him in years.
Saw him at my gym in Poole a few weeks back.

He was chatting away on the phone, all smiles and looked the picture of health tbh, I was pleasantly surprised.

SharpshooterTom

Lost all sympathy for this cretin. He feels like an amalgamation of everything that was wrong with the 90's. He's like the News of the World in human form.
The 90's were voted Caf's favourite decade of football nonetheless.

stepic

Its not a sex assault. He kissed her. Its not a violent rape. He will get a fine and probably community service.

He is a massive twat so maybe a month in the clink might wake him up all the same.
Sexual assault is an act in which a person intentionally sexually touches another person without that person's consent

It’s sexual assault.

She said she noticed Mr Gascoigne being "very noisy" on the train, adding: "There were lots of cans on the floor."

Yeah of course there was. Sounds better in the press doesn't it.

I agree Gazza was wrong but why must people tell lies. They wont be happy until he is 6 feet under

Poor Gazza
you’ve never seen cans of beer on a train before? weird that you automatically choose to defend Gazza over the woman’s account, particularly when you.... weren’t there.

When he's been as high profile as Gazza, and is continually on the news, I don't think it'd exactly be unlikely
He’s high profile in footballing circles but that’s about it. And that was like 25 years ago. There’s no reason to think this woman would recognise him.

bludsucker

There are no innnocent people! :lol:

.....and that is the horrendous cycle of addiction, and depression. Death by a thousand cuts. You talk of him repeating the cycle as if possessed the resilience one might expect from a person of healthy mind. What does that say about you or anyone so quick to judge?
Quick to judge? He has been doing the same thing for more than 20 years now. How long should a person wait to judge someone? I have been a victim of this addictive tendencies, as a family member used to go into the same cycle over and over again. In the end they are just looking for a reason to go back to the bottle. The reason could be as trivial as it’s raining. I kid you not. Meanwhile the lives of everyone around them is going up in flames. Hence i have no patience for addicts and their errant behavior.

fergieisold

Sexual assault is an act in which a person intentionally sexually touches another person without that person's consent

It’s sexual assault.

you’ve never seen cans of beer on a train before? weird that you automatically choose to defend Gazza over the woman’s account, particularly when you.... weren’t there.

He’s high profile in footballing circles but that’s about it. And that was like 25 years ago. There’s no reason to think this woman would recognise him.
Yeh it is sexual assault for sure, although a very low level of offending. It is so minor that this kind of thing probably happens all the time on nights out and girls just brush it off. Fair play to the victim for pushing charges because Gascoigne needs to be reprimanded for this. Certainly not going to jail though, that would be ridiculous!

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I doubt that I would recognize Gazza in my every day life if he walked past me on the street. There's nothing really remarkable or striking about him. I also don't think I've seen him on the news a single time since the Raoul Moat incident a decade ago. He's not exactly high profile. Even when he turned up during the Raoul Moat saga 9 years ago he was already obscure.

bludsucker

Yeh it is sexual assault for sure, although a very low level of offending. It is so minor that this kind of thing probably happens all the time on nights out and girls just brush it off. Fair play to the victim for pushing charges because Gascoigne needs to be reprimanded for this. Certainly not going to jail though, that would be ridiculous!
Why would it be ridiculous? Any tom dick or harry caught doing this wouldn’t get off with a rap on the wrists. Why should gazza be treated any differently? Just because he is a washed up football star doesn’t entitle him to special treatment.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Just a real sad state of affairs concerning Gazza.
Put on a pedestal as England's answer to Argentina's legend Marradona with both similarly falling down the same wretched,addictive black hole of mental illness and yet both are continually,continually absolved of any blame for the actions they inflict upon either people desperately trying to help them or upon unsuspecting individuals,as this here seems to be yet another case.

The fact his social media laddish fanboys take a certain level of joy in Maradona or Gazza in justifying their actions is a whole level of twisted bizarre fandom that is truly shameful which also clearly doesn't help the individual dealing with such depressing illness and the people who are on the receiving end of these individuals abhorrent actions.

It's f*cked up,y'all.

Last edited:

Needham

For me there's a red line. This doesn't cross it but he's getting closer.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
This is almost exclusively untrue. All the evidence suggests that addiction is almost always related to loneliness, anxiety and depression. If you don't have support networks you are vastly more likely to become an addict. Gazza also has severe childhood trauma from what I remember. So while I condemn any sexual assault and anyone defending it, leave his addiction out of it, not everyone is perfect and you've never lived his life.

Needham

Lot of blind judgement in this thread. We've all been on trains faced the same temptations. Wonder if you'd handle them with the same restraint as Gazza.

Judas

Open to offers
Lot of blind judgement in this thread. We've all been on trains faced the same temptations. Wonder if you'd handle them with the same restraint as Gazza.
The temptation to sexually assault someone? Can't say I have, but maybe you should seek help as well.

feck me the state of people on here.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Eh I’ve never felt the temptation to sexually assault or harass anyone, but then again I’m not a creepy weirdo piece of shite.
Sort your life out, seriously.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The temptation to sexually assault someone? Can't say I have, but maybe you should seek help as well.

feck me the state of people on here.
I assume he’s joking. Needham makes a lot of posts (on different topics) with the same sort of humour.

fergieisold

Why would it be ridiculous? Any tom dick or harry caught doing this wouldn’t get off with a rap on the wrists. Why should gazza be treated any differently? Just because he is a washed up football star doesn’t entitle him to special treatment.
Nobody would be going to jail for such a low level offence in my opinion. A criminal record with a non custodial sentence seems appropriate to me. I don't think he will get special treatment - it just isn't a very serious crime.

Sylar

Its like this forum has gone back to the 90s with some of the posts. Or some of the posters just havent got out of the 90s mindset, which is probably fairer.

bludsucker

Nobody would be going to jail for such a low level offence in my opinion. A criminal record with a non custodial sentence seems appropriate to me. I don't think he will get special treatment - it just isn't a very serious crime.
Not in my country. That is a very serious offense here in India carrying a minimum sentence of 7 years rigorous imprisonment. Don’t know about the specific laws pertaining to this in the UK. But the point is his behavior was appalling and should be condemned as such.