The Crew

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
I've got a beta, ps4, valid from today till Monday.
It says its taking 29 hrs to download, I'm working tomoro, out tomoro night, I'll have to spend time out with the family on Sunday, I might get half an hour Sunday night once the missus goes to bed.
What a fecking waste of time.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
I can see everyone was really interested, so i did a vid and uploaded it, first time first upload so didnt really know what I was up to either on the game or in real life.
I drove from Detroit to New Orleans, took me about 15 mins, tried to upload that but copyright infringement or something. Must've been the Arctic Monkeys track that was in the background.

The driving is solid enough, massive, I mean fecking huge area to drive around. Full on sandbox. Not sure I'm into a story driven driving game though, the cut scenes get a bit tedious.
Looks nice though.

stu_1992

I got into the Beta and played it twice. Sadly college work got in the way. Not usually into driving games but I thought this one looked interesting. Still think it is a decent having played it, but the driving was a bit disappointing I thought. Needs to sort out the map too, found it very annoying.

Coxy

I played the beta too - enjoyed it. A lot of criticism online about the handling / graphics....but for my I found both of them fine.

I didn't enjoy the story though - so cheesy and daft - should have just gone for an open world like forza horizon - no need for that. But overall enjoyed.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I got into the beta and I played for about 40 mins, but I haven't played it since. It's terrible, the graphics are shit, the handling is a joke and their servers are terrible. Another shit driving game.

I'll just wait for Project Cars.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
I got into the beta and I played for about 40 mins, but I haven't played it since. It's terrible, the graphics are shit, the handling is a joke and their servers are terrible. Another shit driving game.

Now that's a glowing assessment!!

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses

Must be looking in the wrong place. I've played 2 absolutely fantastic driving games this year.

Only thing I like the look of in this game is the scope of it. Expecting it to drop in price quite quickly so will probably pick it up 6 months down the line.

stu_1992

Must be looking in the wrong place. I've played 2 absolutely fantastic driving games this year.

Only thing I like the look of in this game is the scope of it. Expecting it to drop in price quite quickly so will probably pick it up 6 months down the line.
Well I agree with him to some degree though not as extreme obviously. It was disappointing in my eyes. As said in my earlier post, I still reckon it's a good idea and obviously the map size is impressive. But the story does seems kinda unnecessary and by-the-numbers and the driving should be a better for a game like this. It would fine for the likes of GTA or Watch Dogs etc. Graphics I don't feel so strongly about since I never expected it to look amazing, especially considering the size of the map.

PlayerOne

What's the other driving game? Drive Club?

Not sure if you played Forza Horizon, but after playing that I can't get into the Crew. I'm not the only one moaning either, a lot of people are complaining about the handling, cars don't turn probably.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
When is someone going to make a road driving game with reaslistic crash physics? I'd pay good money for a game where I can just drive about causing pile ups.

I had enough fun on GTA putting various vehicles on train lines and watching them go flying...but the actual car crashes were always confusingly subdued.

Alock1

What's the other driving game? Drive Club?

Not sure if you played Forza Horizon, but after playing that I can't get into the Crew. I'm not the only one moaning either, a lot of people are complaining about the handling, cars don't turn probably.
Yeah Horizon 2 and Mario Kart (ok not really a driving game I know)

You on Xbox?

PlayerOne

Yeah Horizon 2 and Mario Kart (ok not really a driving game I know)

You on Xbox?
Nah, PS4. Sadly no Horizon for me, I loved the first one and I played the new one, it's much better than the first one. It's the only game that makes me want to get a Xbox.

I'm really hoping Project Cars lives up to the hype or else I'm going to be without a driving game for a while. I would consider Mario Kart to be a driving game, I seen people put so many hours into it, though I couldn't get into it.

Alock1

Yeah Horizon 2 and Mario Kart are probably my 2 contenders for my GOTY so far which I didn't expect to be saying in January. Well, maybe Mario Kart.

Horizon 2 is absolutely quality though. I'm level 140ish and still have plenty to do and have been playing lots of other games.

D J Dog Toffee

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
So, anyone got it? I'm a bit reserved about paying full price for it as it doesn't seem that good but then again I could do with an open world racing game right now and I don't own Xbox One so there's no Forza Horizon 2 for me. Graphics are supposed to be terrible in this and the driving model isn't that good apparently, the vast open world could only partly compensate for these shortcomings I imagine.

stu_1992

So, anyone got it? I'm a bit reserved about paying full price for it as it doesn't seem that good but then again I could do with an open world racing game right now and I don't own Xbox One so there's no Forza Horizon 2 for me. Graphics are supposed to be terrible in this and the driving model isn't that good apparently, the vast open world could only partly compensate for these shortcomings I imagine.
Well I played the beta I wasn't overly impressed with it. Not really a driving game type of guy, but the issues you mentioned are certainly valid. I obviously didn't get to play the full open world, but it is big from what I saw. I don't myself buying it, not at full price at least.

Sarni

Well I played the beta I wasn't overly impressed with it. Not really a driving game type of guy, but the issues you mentioned are certainly valid. I obviously didn't get to play the full open world, but it is big from what I saw. I don't myself buying it, not at full price at least.
Cheers. Not going to buy it at full price then, maybe when it drops to €20 or so I'll give it a try. I'm happy enough with DriveClub although I barely have time to play that now. Such a shame because the concept behind The Crew was very interesting, the execution doesn't seem that good.

stu_1992

Cheers. Not going to buy it at full price then, maybe when it drops to €20 or so I'll give it a try. I'm happy enough with DriveClub although I barely have time to play that now. Such a shame because the concept behind The Crew was very interesting, the execution doesn't seem that good.
Yeah exactly, I'm not necessarily a driving game enthusiast, but the format of this was certainly intriguing. Maybe someone who's more driving games will tell you different, but I though it was all a bit meh. Driving was like something you'd expect from a GTA, not a racer.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
What's up with the graphics on this? A need for speed game on the PS3 looks better than this. Don't think I'll be buying this. My new moto for games is to stay clear when developers prevent reviews before release. You know they are hiding something.

Sarni

What's up with the graphics on this? A need for speed game on the PS3 looks better than this. Don't think I'll be buying this. My new moto for games is to stay clear when developers prevent reviews before release. You know they are hiding something.
It has an incredibly massive world which might be the reason. I would have prefered a smaller world with next gen graphics. It's still somehow tempting to me though...

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Another ubisoft flop with microtransactions aplenty apparently. They're becoming worse than EA

Sarni

Bought it for a knockdown price because I wanted to see what the whole open world was about. It is indeed huge, it doesn't look like a PS4 game at all but I reckon I'll have some fun with it. Still with DriveClub receiving update and Xbox One with Forza 5 and Horizon 2 coming for Christmas I don't think I'm going to spend much time on The Crew.

Sarni

Surprisingly my next post in this thread is almost a year after release and it's because I bought this again, this time with Wild Run expansion. They've really improved the graphics by far and the driving model seem better than it was, had they released the game initially in its current form I imagine it'd have got 7s and 8s all across the gaming sites with the odd 9 here and there.

Having the whole US to drive around with massive amount of races and challenges is great. It's potentially a 100 hrs+ game if you want to invest time into this. It has a strong competition from Forza Horizon 2 (which has a better driving model and graphics), DriveClub (sort of different), the new Need for Speed (which is IMO significantly worse). Simulators aren't really its competition.