The Culture Wars

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Just reading up on this horrible Next Benedict thing.

You've got one side saying the kid was beaten to death and that's what killed them.

On side is saying it was an overdose due to bullying.

Another is saying it's a mixed medication.

Joe Biden released a statement about it.

What is going on?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Just reading up on this horrible Next Benedict thing.

You've got one side saying the kid was beaten to death and that's what killed them.

On side is saying it was an overdose due to bullying.

Another is saying it's a mixed medication.

Joe Biden released a statement about it.

What is going on?
But...

Death of transgender student Nex Benedict ruled suicide by medical examiner
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nex-benedict-suicide-death-oklahoma-student-lgbtq-rcna143298

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The England kit flag controversy feels like the biggest nothing burger story of the year.

I suppose we've had enough of missing kate

Toblerone92

The England kit flag controversy feels like the biggest nothing burger story of the year.

It is utterly pathetic to see so many politicians wading in to this “controversy” just to have their anti-woke stance on public record. I don’t even see what’s supposedly “woke” about it anyway? Nike say it’s a homage to the purple training kits from the 90s or something, but I can only assume others have interpreted as looking a little too much like the LGBT flag. Feck knows.

Where were all the flag wankers in 2012?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It is utterly pathetic to see so many politicians wading in to this “controversy” just to have their anti-woke stance on public record. I don’t even see what’s supposedly “woke” about it anyway? Nike say it’s a homage to the purple training kits from the 90s or something, but I can only assume others have interpreted as looking a little too much like the LGBT flag. Feck knows.

Apparently too close to the bisexual flag (didn't know there was one).

decorativeed

To be fair, I also remember a lot of the usual suspects losing their shit about that - as well as the Peter Saville/Umbro 2010 England kit - back when they came out.

Eric_the_Red99

I see the community noters are claiming that there was ‘widespread heavy criticism’ about the 2012 kits, seemingly based entirely on a rage baiting Daily Mail article. I remember some criticism over the 2012 logo, but absolutely nothing about the uniforms, which seem like pretty generic Team GB outfits to me. But then 2012 was before the culture wars really started in this country, so it was a lot easier to ignore that sort of crap.

Toblerone92

I see the community noters are claiming that there was ‘widespread heavy criticism’ about the 2012 kits, seemingly based entirely on a rage baiting Daily Mail article. I remember some criticism over the 2012 logo, but absolutely nothing about the uniforms, which seem like pretty generic Team GB outfits to me. But then 2012 was before the culture wars really started in this country, so it was a lot easier to ignore that sort of crap.
The criticism of the logo was valid - it was utterly atrocious. It looked like something a GCSE art student would create.

Eric_the_Red99

The criticism of the logo was valid - it was utterly atrocious. It looked like something a GCSE art student would create.
But that’s the thing, the (fair) criticism was that it looked crap, not that it was ‘woke’ (or ‘PC gone mad’, as it would have been back then)

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain

We need Kate to emerge in public topless with a St Georges cross painted across her torso to resolve this.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Some people must have such blissful lives if they have the time and energy to be annoyed by the colors on a symbol in a sports kit.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Some people must have such blissful lives if they have the time and energy to be annoyed by the colors on a symbol in a sports kit.
You’d think so….but the reality is these people get enraged by anything. Big, small, emotive, irrelevant….doesnt matter. Anything can be a vehicle to righteous indignation if you’re enough of a dickhead

Suedesi

It was only a matter of time. There was just no way an outlet led by Ben Shapiro would keep a vocal critic of Israel on board. When it comes to Israel, conservative principles often take a back seat.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The 2012 gear was designed by Stella McCartney and it was all pretty great. Hell of a thing to have individual kit for almost every sport. We spent an obscene amount of cash on it and were the best dressed athletes there.

With that said… these are the best England kits in ages and the bedsetters worrying about a flag are insane.

Nike are not without blame though. That tweet did so much of the heavy lifting. Taking a photo, delivering it to millions of Twitter users, as if to say “Here’s something to all get fecked off about…”. Had they not done that, a few dweebs would have posted it themselves and it would have barely left the ground.

Now, we have politicians being asked for their opinion on a piece of embroidery. We are a Fcuking joke of a country.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The 2012 gear was designed by Stella McCartney and it was all pretty great. Hell of a thing to have individual kit for almost every sport. We spent an obscene amount of cash on it and were the best dressed athletes there.

With that said… these are the best England kits in ages and the bedsetters worrying about a flag are insane.

Nike are not without blame though. That tweet did so much of the heavy lifting. Taking a photo, delivering it to millions of Twitter users, as if to say “Here’s something to all get fecked off about…”. Had they not done that, a few dweebs would have posted it themselves and it would have barely left the ground.

Now, we have politicians being asked for their opinion on a piece of embroidery. We are a Fcuking joke of a country.
Nike don’t give a shite. All this lovely publicity is exactly what they want. Clever piece of marketing.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Nike don’t give a shite. All this lovely publicity is exactly what they want. Clever piece of marketing.
Not so sure. I suspect the Venn diagram of people that are pissed off, and people that wear England shirts, has a huge overlap.

Though maybe I don’t give the average English person enough credit.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Honestly. Why are people not acknowledging that;

A) It looks really good
B) It looks good on the best home shirt we’ve had in forever.
C) It dovetails with the away kit which is the best England (non-red) away kit of all time. It’s absolutely gorgeous.

It’s so fecking boring. 90% of people don’t care. Racists do. But we’re still engaging with the worst of society. If Starmer et al wanted to rise above it, the message could have been as knuckle dragging as “I like how it looks but I’d have preferred it had they not messed with the colours of our flag”. To go further than that is pathetic. Really limp dicked and wrong headed.

TheGame

Honestly. Why are people not acknowledging that;

A) It looks really good
B) It looks good on the best home shirt we’ve had in forever.
C) It dovetails with the away kit which is the best England (non-red) away kit of all time. It’s absolutely gorgeous.

It’s so fecking boring. 90% of people don’t care. Racists do. But we’re still engaging with the worst of society. If Starmer et al wanted to rise above it, the message could have been as knuckle dragging as “I like how it looks but I’d have preferred it had they not messed with the colours of our flag”. To go further than that is pathetic. Really limp dicked and wrong headed.
Yep that is exactly what he should have said but we seem to be bending over for the flag shaggers again just like Brexit.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Yep that is exactly what he should have said but we seem to be bending over for the flag shaggers again just like Brexit.
He’s so politically accurate in all the official places, but the fella has some blind spots. Thinking that sit down with The Sun was a good idea….. Jesus wept. It’s a scummy rag that has no redeeming features. Getting assassinated over drug taking and representing ‘criminals’ by dickheads, to feed stupid people lies… he wins the election without The Sun. Pandering to cretins is insane.

TheGame

He’s so politically accurate in all the official places, but the fella has some blind spots. Thinking that sit down with The Sun was a good idea….. Jesus wept. It’s a scummy rag that has no redeeming features. Getting assassinated over drug taking and representing ‘criminals’ by dickheads, to feed stupid people lies… he wins the election without The Sun. Pandering to cretins is insane.
Yep I have no idea but he is scared to piss off the Brexit voters and nationalists. I know he doesn’t want to start fighting the Brexit battle again but he should be being a lot braver considering the lead he has.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

they keep getting weirder.

This is week 3 of Based IQ Man's discovery of anti-wokeness, localised entirely in one actress' boobs.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
In Canada.

The Supreme Court of Canada ruled in a recent sexual assault case that it was “problematic” for a lower court judge to refer to the alleged victim as a “woman,” implying that the more appropriate term should have been “person with a vagina.”

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Something my boss argued 10 years ago crossed my mind today. He said that people with high income jobs should get lesser jail sentences because otherwise "the state loses tax revenue". That was literally his argument.

It should be no surprise that he was a semi tech bro, reading Peter Thiel.

It's one thing seeing people on social media say it and make memes. It's another thing to have your boss argue it with a straight face.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Full thread of a chronically incurious conservative journalist going through research projects (half of which seem to be really interesting!) and saying they money being spent on understanding her own country's history - something a conservative should adore - is useless. A lot of the thread is being proudly ignorant and stupid.

Some of the quoted costs are high. I'm applying for about a quarter of these amounts, for my 2-year research project. I get a better salary than UK researchers, and need to spend money on some expensive/consumable scientific equipment (unlike history research). So I'm not sure how their 4-year costs are 4X mine.
Unless (and it is very possible) the professor is also being paid off the same grant, and the university is taking a chunk of it.

For other grants - costs not mentioned in the thread - they seem to be under 100k based on the website, and that seems really low for a stipend spread over 4 years!

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
“A suspicion of mine is that there are too many preachy females … ‘Don’t drink beer, don’t watch football, don’t eat hamburgers, this is not good for you,'” he said. “The message is too feminine: ‘Everything you’re doing is destroying the planet. You’ve got to eat your peas.'”