The Culture Wars

Withnail

Yeah, that'll show them. 0.5% of the population aren't welcome here!
This is what I can never understand. Leave the tiniest minority, who just want to live their feckin lives in peace, alone. I guarantee anyone frothing at the mouth about trans people has never even met one, and if they did they didn't realise it. Why is this stuff front page news?

Yes yes I know culture war but it's bullshit

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
St. Louis Park schools says parents can opt students out of LGBTQ+ books

Parents in the St. Louis Park Public School District will be allowed to opt their children out of books that include LGBTQ+ characters and stories.

In December, a letter sent on behalf of Muslim families in St. Louis Park threatened legal action unless parents were notified and allowed to opt their children out of classroom discussions about sexuality and LGBTQ+ topics.

The families are described as devout Muslims who emigrated from Somalia over the past two decades. Their children, enrolled at Aquila Elementary School and Susan Lindgren Elementary School, were introduced to LGBTQ+ characters in picture books, which caused "significant confusion and distress," the letter states.
https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/n...-parents-can-opt-students-out-of-lgbtq-books/

nimic

something nice
Scout
Their children, enrolled at Aquila Elementary School and Susan Lindgren Elementary School, were introduced to LGBTQ+ characters in picture books, which caused "significant confusion and distress," the letter states.
To their parents, no doubt.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
:lol:

I had completely forgot about this.
it's been codified now into the ever-growing list of forbidden topics

The next IHRA definition will include disputes over the origin of hummus.

e - i missed the "blood libel" next to israel murdering children :lol: i guess the convoluted language games from the NYT are just avoiding anti-semitism.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

e - i missed the "blood libel" next to israel murdering children :lol: i guess the convoluted language games from the NYT are just avoiding anti-semitism.
I mean, it’s a bit of a fecking leap to imply that the involvement of Israel in American police training is the cause of police brutality towards minorities. Which is what they seem to be talking about here (I would have thought a lack of adequate training is a far more important issue). Although has anyone actually made that specific claim?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I mean, it’s a bit of a fecking leap to imply that the involvement of Israel in American police training is the cause of police brutality towards minorities. Which is what they seem to be talking about here (I would have thought a lack of adequate training is a far more important issue). Although has anyone actually made that specific claim?

On the first point - I don't see the word "cause" (or any implication that Israeli training is the cause of police violence) in the tweet which was screenshotted for mockery in VorZokane's original post here, it's not in the quote Sweet Square posted in reply, and it wasn't in the interview that Rebecca Long-Bailey retweeted for which she was fired which I referred to in my reply to Sweet Square.
Even in the ridiculous tweet I posted and you replied to, it's mentioned in the first line - presumably to get an outraged reaction - before retreating into mostly verifiable facts in the next para, and then expanding back out to "purposely target children of colour" - another claim designed to induce outrage.

So, I agree it's a fecking leap, one which nobody seems to be making.

On the second point...no? I absolutely don't agree that lack of training is the main problem with US cops. Firstly, a lot of their training is precisely about how to inculcate a warrior mentality. The reason the Israel training thing became an issue in 2020 is because the police dept that choked George Floyd had been trained on restraining techniques at an Israeli consulate, and there are lots of pictures of Israeli police carrying out things that look like chokeholds (which they deny are chokeholds).
Secondly, the "good training", if it exists, cannot solve the more basic issues - the "thin blue line" mentality, the gang-like loyalty with no snitching, the racism, etc.

I think, given how the IHRA definition has been used to label every unfriendly mention of Israel as "anti-semitism", it's easy to predict where this addition to the definitions of "anti-semitism" goes - just don't talk about Israeli police training, ever.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
On the first point - I don't see the word "cause" (or any implication that Israeli training is the cause of police violence) in the tweet which was screenshotted for mockery in VorZokane's original post here, it's not in the quote Sweet Square posted in reply, and it wasn't in the interview that Rebecca Long-Bailey retweeted for which she was fired which I referred to in my reply to Sweet Square.
Even in the ridiculous tweet I posted and you replied to, it's mentioned in the first line - presumably to get an outraged reaction - before retreating into mostly verifiable facts in the next para, and then expanding back out to "purposely target children of colour" - another claim designed to induce outrage.

So, I agree it's a fecking leap, one which nobody seems to be making.

On the second point...no? I absolutely don't agree that lack of training is the main problem with US cops. Firstly, a lot of their training is precisely about how to inculcate a warrior mentality. The reason the Israel training thing became an issue in 2020 is because the police dept that choked George Floyd had been trained on restraining techniques at an Israeli consulate, and there are lots of pictures of Israeli police carrying out things that look like chokeholds (which they deny are chokeholds).
Secondly, the "good training", if it exists, cannot solve the more basic issues - the "thin blue line" mentality, the gang-like loyalty with no snitching, the racism, etc.

I think, given how the IHRA definition has been used to label every unfriendly mention of Israel as "anti-semitism", it's easy to predict where this addition to the definitions of "anti-semitism" goes - just don't talk about Israeli police training, ever.
If you want to go down a fascinating rabbit hole about a potential cause for the police overreaction when restraining Lloyd George (that has nothing at all to do with Israel but involves a serial killer and a fabricated side effect of cocaine, invented several decades earlier) then I strongly recommend this episode of Jon Robson’s latest podcast series.

I recommended the series earlier in this thread. It’s superb and bang on the money for the topics being discussed here. Sadly, nobody else seems to have listened to it yet. :(

Last edited:

Sweet Square

Germany going next level

The hacked post -

Fingeredmouse

If you want to go down a fascinating rabbit hole about a potential cause for the police overreaction when restraining Lloyd George (that has nothing at all to do with Israel but involves a serial killer and a fabricated side effect of cocaine, invented several decades earlier) then I strongly recommend this episode of Jon Robson’s latest podcast series.

I recommended the series earlier in this thread. It’s superb and bang on the money for the topics being discussed here. Sadly, nobody else seems to have listened to it yet. :(
I have. It's great.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

I've been making my way through it on your recommendation, just finished series 1

Siorac

a potential cause for the police overreaction when restraining Lloyd George (that has nothing at all to do with Israel but involves a serial killer and a fabricated side effect of cocaine, invented several decades earlier)
British politics were messy during WW I, clearly.

WPMUFC

It's always there, right on the edge isn't it. These people are just gagging to normalise this shit. Social media just erases all the barriers which stop conspiracy theories. You publish some absolute vile shit like this and you'll get flamed by people, but you'll also get new supporters and people backing you up. And those are the people that this lunatic will look for to keep fueling their "actually everything is a lie" BS.

fecking hate twitter and social media