The curious case of Jon Moss

Northstand

Thought he was good today. Allowed the game to flow far better than he often does, and I think the suggestions that Southampton were especially rough have been a bit overdone on here today.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
The unpunished ‘tactical’ fouling is something that really annoys me in general, but Moss seems worse than most at letting them get away with it time and time again, ward prowse must’ve committed about 8 fouls today and 3 or 4 after he was booked
Happened all game but last few minutes, tackle from behind then another player kicks the ball away.

If you don't card those things, where's the detterent (neverind the punishment)?

ScarleyUtd

Thought he was good today. Allowed the game to flow far better than he often does, and I think the suggestions that Southampton were especially rough have been a bit overdone on here today.
They were clogging us the entire first half! Definitely tactical and Moss was hopeless.

Fitchett

He was poor, as he always is, but didn't make any howlers. Allowed them far too many tactical fouls, to kill the flow, without sufficient penalty. Clear ones were a bad foul by Romeu on Fernandes in the first half, foul by Ward-Prowse on Rashford in the penalty area, and several fouls by Ward-Prowse when on a yellow card. And what was the free kick against Maguire for late on? To give Ward-Prowse another scoring opportunity from a free kick? Useless fat feck, but fortunately he didn't cost us today.

Anustart89

The unpunished ‘tactical’ fouling is something that really annoys me in general, but Moss seems worse than most at letting them get away with it time and time again, ward prowse must’ve committed about 8 fouls today and 3 or 4 after he was booked
I'm starting to think that Jon Moss appreciates a good old tactical foul because it's (often) a non-violent incident that spares him having to chase down a counter-attack.

It's like he actively encourages breaks in play just so he can catch his breath. How many times did Southampton kick the ball away so we couldn't take a quick free kick with Moss doing feck all about it? How many times did he call a quick free kick back to have it being retaken from three yards from where it was originally taken? How many times did he pointlessly slow play down to give a player a talking to for feck all? What's the point of stopping play to tell Shane Long that "I saw that you committed a sneaky foul on Lindelöf long after he'd released the ball" if he's not going to book him for it?

Last edited:

Fitchett

I'm starting to think that Jon Moss appreciates a good old tactical foul because it's (often) a non-violent incident that spares him having to chase down a counter-attack.

It's like he actively encourages breaks in play just so he can catch his breath. How many times did Southampton kicked the ball away so we couldn't take a quick free kick with Moss doing feck all about it? How many times did he called a quick free kick back to have it being retaken from three yards from where it was originally taken? How many times did he pointlessly slow play down to give a player a talking to for feck all? What's the point of stopping play to tell Shane Long that "I saw that you committed a sneaky foul on Lindelöf long after he'd released the ball" if he's not going to book him for it?
Nail. On. Head

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He’s fecking rubbish

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Been the worse ref in the league for about a decade now. Clearly physically not capable of keeping up with play either, finds himself getting in players way a lot. No idea how he is renewed every year by the PL. should have been retired off years ago.

Nero

Constantly whistles for fouls because he can't keep up.

kode

Added time is a joke and he will surely keep interompting the game to get his breath back . Cant stand him

Matriac

What did he get wrong? One cheap Wolves FK?
Well his linesman called Offside on Rashford that was on side, and just barely kept the ball inside then got thrown to the ground.

Should have had a pen.

Not sure why VAR didn't look at it.

Idxomer

How come no club ever complains about his fitness and general performance?

He's behind everything happening on the pitch.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He's a fecking wino. Nothing curious about it.

Jev

Well his linesman called Offside on Rashford that was on side, and just barely kept the ball inside then got thrown to the ground.

Should have had a pen.

Not sure why VAR didn't look at it.
Hardly Moss' fault that his linesman waved offside. If it was an error, VAR should have corrected it.

Jev

The cheap FK came seconds after he waved play on for an identical ‘challenge’ on Rashford in their box.
But none of us are gonna argue that Rashford should have had a penalty so I don't see how that's relevant.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
How can they have a out of shape 50 year old who needs to keep up with a bunch of fit professional athletes in their late teens to mid 30s, stupid.

Matriac

Hardly Moss' fault that his linesman waved offside. If it was an error, VAR should have corrected it.
I agree, I tried to put blame on his linesman, but the rapid typing midbreak maybe didn't make it clear. Also we don't have threads for the 2nd 3rd or 4th officials. :)
Like I said, I don't know why VAR didn't look at it.. too many possible things to review for a single situation? Was it offside? Was the ball outside? Was it a pen?

Overall I don't have a lot of complaints with him today. But I'm impressed with how "compact" he remains while refereeing at a top level running around every week.

lex talionis

The refereeing crew as whole got the handball call wrong, so I’ll give Moss a pass for that. But he’s too old now (I thought the age limit was 45?) and should forced to retire at the end of this season.

Denis' cuff

Just seen highlights so might have missed one or two incidents but the Rashford incident when the ball didn’t go out of play for a gk, followed by totally turning a blind eye to an obvious pen as you’ll ever see when Rashford was dragged to the ground by the neck/collar. where was var or goal-line cam? and as for the pen... = Moss. Must’ve reached our quota.

Matriac

Just seen highlights so might have missed one or two incidents but the Rashford incident when the ball didn’t go out of play for a gk, followed by totally turning a blind eye to an obvious pen as you’ll ever see when Rashford was dragged to the ground by the neck/collar. where was var or goal-line cam? and as for the pen... = Moss. Must’ve reached our quota.

Totally agree, problem here was the linesman called his initial run for Offside.. which he clearly wasn't. Problem might have been the 3 different situations to consider, was it offside, was it out out play, was it a penalty? when the ref team called for an offside and play on, at least the offside and pen was a clear an obvious error in my eyes. the out of bounds by itself doesn't matter, but the pen situation should call on reviewing if it was offside or not (then the out of bounds just to satisfy doubters).

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Needs to be demoted, there must be up and coming refs who are more suited to Premier League officiating than him.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Ok, so I know that the new offside law says that if a player intentionally plays the ball that it negates the offside, but I don't think they were thinking about players coming in from behind defenders who are trying to control the ball. As far as I'm concerned Rodrigo was involved in the play prior and during the control of the ball and that should be offside. Either way, the offside law has to be looked at. How that can be deemed onside and not an advantage to the attacker but a player with a toe nail ahead of play can be considered an advantage and offside just seems backwards to me...

Zoo

Must be so hard for him to run in that condition and with his shirt soaked through