The deadwood and the backups

UpWithRivers

We still need one or two players but just as important is the continued clear out of the deadwood and also the backups. One of our main problems this season is that the back up players have failed us. Not all of them but lots of them failed us when the main team were injured. Its all well and good having a good first team but without a decent squad we will get one or two injuries and start plummeting again. So lets review -

RB - Back up is Dalot - Looks like he is on his way out. Should he stay and does everyone trust him to be back up? I would say no. Time to move on. So options for backup include Laird - could he do a Williams? He has the talent but Im not sure he is ready. Maybe needs a loan? Or Brandon can play RB. Or we buy - if we did I would go for Max Aaron's. Cheap as Norwich relegated, attacking to give another option to the defensive minded WB.
CB - Looks like Maguire and Lindelof are first choice. Rojo and Smalling are gone or as good as. That leaves Jones, Bailly, Tuanzebe. Jones and Bailly are too injury prone. Id sell Jones. Tuanzebe for some reason is not getting a look in. Id say loan him but with selling Jones, Smalling and Rojo we need numbers. So we need another first teamer that leaves Lindelof, Bailly and Tuanzebe as back ups?
GK - De Gea obvious first choice and Romero the best back up keeper anywhere. Then there is Lee Grant. But what about Henderson? Bring him in to replace De Gea? Replace Rojo? Or Loan. I would loan for another season.
LB - Sorted with Shaw and Williams as back up
CM - Hard to tell who is first choice. I guess Pogba (if he stays), Fernandes + one of Matic, Fred, McTominay. From backups if Pogba goes we need an attacking replacement incase Fernandes gets injured. Grealish I guess is the obvious choice. Then we are short of cover/replacement for Matic. None of the others are pure DM's. So if we get say a Partey then Matic is the back up DM. Fred/Mctominay as the box and Pogba(Or Grealish)+ Fernandes as the number 10/attacking roamers. Then there is Lingard and Periera. Sell as fast as we can if it was up to me. If we do then who comes in to replace - young players? Chong etc?
Attack - Rashford, Martialand hopefully Sancho is the first team. So backups are Ighalo if he stays, Greenwood, Mata(for RW), James. I think its enough with good quality for replacement in all positions for now. Oh then Sanchez. Need to get rid any way we can.

So sold - Jones, Dalot, Smalling, Rojo, Sanchez, Lingard, Periera

Backups after first team players are bought - Presuming we bought Sancho, Aarons, Partey, Upamecano, Ighalo, Grealish and Sold Pogba for example
RB - Laird/Aaarons
CB - Lindelof, Bailly, Tuanzebe
GK - Romero, Grant
LB - Williams
CM - Mctominay, Fred, Matic,
Forwards -
CM - McTominay, Matic, Grealish
Forwards - Ighalo if he stays, Greenwood, Mata(for RW), James.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It’s important, and will be difficult. Been saying that all those expecting us to enjoy this market based on everyone else being skint should remember that when they keep writing ‘Out: Smalling - £20m, Lingard £20m, Jones - £8m, Andreas - £15m’.

We will struggle to get decent money on the market and clubs will struggle to match wages. Our players are not going to be targeted by the richest clubs.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It’s important, and will be difficult. Been saying that all those expecting us to enjoy this market based on everyone else being skint should remember that when they keep writing ‘Out: Smalling - £20m, Lingard £20m, Jones - £8m, Andreas - £15m’.

We will struggle to get decent money on the market and clubs will struggle to match wages. Our players are not going to be targeted by the richest clubs.
This is where I never understand some of their valuation.

I can understand Dalot's valuation since the guy is still at young age. But the other valuation are incredibly too high and I had this argument with someone before but he insisted that clubs will follow the transfermarkt value.

We'll be lucky enough to even get a chance to sell them in one summer window. They are called deadwood for reason, other clubs won't even try to pay such a money unless if they are so desperate with the position they are looking for. I only recall Bournemouth, Everton & Arsenal as club tend to overprice on average players. However, majority those players were signed at young age and majority our deadwood list are not at young age anymore to be developed.

We'll sell few players, loan few of them since no buyers & sign 2-3 players only for permanent deal. The most realistic thing, this is based on our last 7 years.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I wouldn’t get rid of Pereira, he’s a serviceable back up to Fernandes. If Gomes doesn’t sign we’ve not got any #10s knocking on the door for another season or two.

Sea-Cow

I wouldn’t get rid of Pereira, he’s a serviceable back up to Fernandes. If Gomes doesn’t sign we’ve not got any #10s knocking on the door for another season or two.
I've never disagreed with a post more in my life.

Pereira is not serviceable and should not be a member of a premier league squad, end of discussion.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I've never disagreed with a post more in my life.

Pereira is not serviceable and should not be a member of a premier league squad, end of discussion.
I honestly don't understand why people even consider Pereira as a back up option. You're not going to find him on the bench in any top European sides. He's bang average in everything except crossing and what's the point of being good at crossing if you're not fast or you can't beat your man. I think it's his occasional moment of brilliance in a match that makes people believe he's a good player to have. I also have this funny thought that maybe it's how his name and appearance sounds and looks like that of a very good player

NoPace

Let's say we sign Sancho and a proper DM this summer, (I plugged in Partey but choose whoever ya like) and Pogba goes out.

-------------Martial----------------
Rashford-------------Sancho
----------Bruno--------------------
----------------Fred----------------
------------Partey-----------------
Shaw------------------------AWB
-------Maguire-Lindelof------
---------------De Gea-------------

Which of our backups are good enough?

Definitely:
-Romero is a good backup and Henderson would be too.

-James at LW is a yes for me. Martial can also play as an LW if Greenwood is ready to start, which should happen sooner than we think.

Probably and the player is young so give him the benefit of the doubt:
-Greenwood as a 9, he scored goals even on the wing and he's got the talent, 19 is young but as the #2 striker I'd bet on him being good enough there at gunpoint. Ighalo played well but probably isn't good enough for #2 status, more of a #3 option

-Mctominay played well as a backup for Fred

-RB, at the moment we have Williams and Dalot and Laird all having talent and age on their side, so let's say we're not quite there but a season away, and Williams might be better going forward on his natural side than we've seen at LB so let's say feck it and be optimistic on this one

Fine for a year:
-One final year of Matic playing 15-20 times as a backup 6 seems fine, especially with McTominay able to just play a double pivot with Fred.

Unclear:
-CB, 2 spots here. Smalling is good enough for this role but apparently going to be sold. Bailly has talent but is unreliable and Tuanzebe similar at the moment, though I think he can be a a #3 CB here in time. Honestly, we should probably just bring Smalling back for a final year and then just sell him in 2021, unless we are going to buy a starter and make Lindelof the #3 CB.

-James at RW though, maybe not with Martial as a 9 who is outright bad at getting on the end of crosses and James being a sort of Jesus Navas style 90s winger who gets the ball into the box. With Ighalo in the box or maybe Greenwood once he becomes a man in his early 20s then I'd probably say yes.

Need to immediately address:
-Bruno has no backup ready. We hoped it would be Gomes but he seems unready and Lingard and Pereira are only good enough when the other team has the ball. Ideally this player could also play as RW, or we would just bring in another starting quality RW and commit to making Sancho the backup #10, but that seems tougher to do and also if we signed a #10 like Grealish we could play Bruno and Grealish in front of a DM with Sancho and Rashford out wide when we're trying to batter teams, whereas a Sancho-Bruno-DM trio might not be playable against teams with any sort of a pulse.

-LB we have no quality backup. Williams did well but 98% of fullbacks are better on their correct side and a quality backup would also help us play 3-5-2. Williams struggled to impact games going forward there.

Conclusion:
If Pogba leaves, our summer should look like this:

Starters:
1. Sancho

2. Quality DM to start 40+ times a year (Partey for me but I know some love Zakaria)

Can be younger or cheaper options:
3. Creative #8/10 to replace Pogba (Grealish the favorite but Buendia on the cheap if we can't spend enough is sort of interesting in that he lacks end product but might have been the Prem player I saw this year whose off the ball movement to make himself available was the best, which seems like a good fit with Rashford, Martial and Greenwood ahead of him)

4. Left-footed left back with offensive chops to play LWB when we go 3-5-2

CB:
5. Either bring back Smalling or even better just sign a starter and make Lindelof the #3, maybe loan out Bailly or Tuanzebe for a year even

NoPace

This is where I never understand some of their valuation.

I can understand Dalot's valuation since the guy is still at young age. But the other valuation are incredibly too high and I had this argument with someone before but he insisted that clubs will follow the transfermarkt value.

We'll be lucky enough to even get a chance to sell them in one summer window. They are called deadwood for reason, other clubs won't even try to pay such a money unless if they are so desperate with the position they are looking for. I only recall Bournemouth, Everton & Arsenal as club tend to overprice on average players. However, majority those players were signed at young age and majority our deadwood list are not at young age anymore to be developed.

We'll sell few players, loan few of them since no buyers & sign 2-3 players only for permanent deal. The most realistic thing, this is based on our last 7 years.
Smalling could be a good signing even for 20M. 2 years starting, 2 year of good backup play. He's a genuinely good player.

Jones for 8M, not insane either. Would not pay the Lingard or Pereira prices though.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Smalling could be a good signing even for 20M. 2 years starting, 2 year of good backup play. He's a genuinely good player.

Jones for 8M, not insane either. Would not pay the Lingard or Pereira prices though.
Smalling is going to be 31 years old this year, you really think a club will want to pay 20m to someone at that age? AS Roma is hesitant to even pay the money.

Jones for 8m is the only realistic. However, let’s face it, he’s likely going on loan. Who wants to even spend penny on injury prone proven who’s going to be 30 in couple of years. We even struggled to sell Darmian for 10m.

Performance isn’t the only reason why they spend the money. Everton was willing to spend big on Iwobi because he was still young and believed they can find a way to develop him or getting long term contribution from him is an example there are many factors these clubs see.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

If we get a combined £40 million for Lingard and Smalling, I will legit eat a slug live on camera.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Not according to Ornstein.
Ornstein said we're after a holding midfielder and that makes sense than getting Grealish. If we want to rotate Bruno then Pogba can play as the most advanced midfielder instead of the pivot where the new holding midfielder will play in instead

Macedonian Red

Romero
Dalot Tuanzebe Lindelof Williams
Matic Fred
Greenwood Grealish James
Ighalo

Not great not terrible.

Red Daz

Getting rid of players we don’t want will be really tough, there won’t be much money swilling around for clubs to burn, I think we’ll maybe see a fair amount of loan to buy a year later type of deals, Mbappe to PSG style

Luke1995

How much will having to pay Sanchez's wages hurt the club in having money available for transfers ?

Bondi77

How much will having to pay Sanchez's wages hurt the club in having money available for transfers ?
I think it will be the difference in whether we sign Sancho or not
Sanchez is on a monster wage and it is a hole the club dug for itself and they are going to find it very hard to get out of and though it is a minor thing he still wears the #7 jersey.
Maybe the club should just pay him a lump sum to end the contract and then he can be a free agent again and if that does not work then the club are stuck with him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't think that we can just push for a clear out. The club simply struggle to add more then 4 players every transfer window and we can't afford to start yet another season with ridiculous holes in the team.

Keep
Smalling: He's a decent CB whose got pace and whose good aerially. I'd say we keep him and sell the injury prone defenders instead
Sanchez: If we can find a buyer then by all means go ahead with it.However I doubt it. Considering that clubs will only take him on loan if we pay most of the salary ourselves then I'd say lets keep him.

Sell:

Rojo, Lingard, Periera and Jones: Its time for them to leave
Pogba: It depends on whether he wants to stay or not and if a club is willing to meet our value for him. I wouldn't mind an 80m + Jovic and Achraf
James: The guy got great pace and workrate but nothing else really. He is also a natural on the LW and we've got Martial and Rashy playing there. So it wouldn't be a bad idea if we sell him now and bring in 2 natural RWs instead.

Depending:

Dalot. He's still young, he can play on both rear flanks and at this point he's value is ridiculously low. At best he'll become an alternative to AWB. At worst he'll be a stop gap up until Laird can take his place. That changes unless Pogba wants to leave. At that point we might have funds to replace him with better players.

GK: DDG, Romero

RB: AWB, Dalot/Achraf
CB: Maguire, Lindelof, Smalling, Tuanzebe
LB: Williams, Shaw

DM: McT, Matic
MC: Van De Beek, Fred
MC: Fernandes, Mejbri

RW: Sancho, Torres
LW: Martial, Rashford

STK: Greenwood, Jovic, Sanchez

UpWithRivers

Smalling coming back makes sense except one of the reasons he wanted to leave was because he was not guaranteed first team football. So if he comes back that means Maguire and Smalling first choice and Lindelof back up. Is that what we want? Im not sure. Feels like going backwards. Ideally we sell him for 20 and find a good back up replacement for 20 until we can buy a proper replacement next year. But who could we get for 20 mill these days. Lewis Dunk? He might do a decent job as back up.
So sell Smalling, Rojo and Jones. Buy Dunk. Leaves Maguire, Lindelof with Bailly Tuanzebe and Dunk as back ups. Will do for a season I think.
Or we go back in for Vertonghen?

devilish

Smalling coming back makes sense except one of the reasons he wanted to leave was because he was not guaranteed first team football. So if he comes back that means Maguire and Smalling first choice and Lindelof back up. Is that what we want? Im not sure. Feels like going backwards. Ideally we sell him for 20 and find a good back up replacement for 20 until we can buy a proper replacement next year. But who could we get for 20 mill these days. Lewis Dunk? He might do a decent job as back up.
So sell Smalling, Rojo and Jones. Buy Dunk. Leaves Maguire, Lindelof with Bailly Tuanzebe and Dunk as back ups. Will do for a season I think.
Or we go back in for Vertonghen?
Smalling is as good if not better to lindelof

pacifictheme

Not according to Ornstein.

We'll have to agree to disagree.
We're you happy with the way we were attacking pre fernandes? Because if Pereira is his back up that's how we will play if fernandes gets injured.

Web of Bissaka

Undoubtedly, we need backups upgrades... let alone upgrades to some of the first choices.

Current Squad, imo

"Deadwoods": Jones, Rojo, Lingard, Grant, Sanchez, Smalling
Backups: Pereira, Romero, Mata, Tuanzebe, Dalot, Bailly, Williams, Matic
Regulars: all the rest.

Ole sees Lingard as regular, Jones as backup and Dalot as "deadwood" though.
All the centre-midfielders are essentially regulars, difficult for now to see which ones are backups.

jesperjaap

Well hearing Roy Keane not beign sure about a lot of our players was probably a bit much, but agree with a lot of it. We may have been on a good run, but we still have loads of players in this squad there would be an argument for selling:

DeGea: Been our best player over the last 5/6 years, is on a huge contract as a reward now....but he hasnt looked the same player the last couple of years, form hasnt been consistent. Add to that we have one of the best back up keepers in the world who has been very good everytime he has played and the best young English keeper, is now the time to cash in?

Jones/Rojo: Been here for years and neither has excelled bar thebrief few months

Smalling: Probably been our best defender the last few years, done well at Roma, wont be first choice and has huge flaws with the ball at his feet, time to cash in?

Bailly/Lindelof: One injury prone and inconsistant the other consistantly average at best

Dalot: We have arguably the premierships best right back in Bissaka, Dalot will always be second choice and we have a very good young second choice in Lair to come through

Matic: Looked dead the last 18months or so and getting on age wise.....but did have a good last couple of months

Pogba: Injuries, attitude, inconsistant

Sanchez: Doesn even need anythign said, huge flop

Perreira: I had high hopes for him, he has been given chances now, he isnt a youngster anymore and looks no more than a squad player at best. We will sign midfielders I am sure and we do have Garner not that far away

Lingard: Has good movement but what is he 26/27 now and he has literallly been good for 9months his whole career and does he have the right attitude I am not sure?

We are talking about £300m+ in sales there potentially.

Personally I would keep DeGea and loan Henderson for another season and monitor from there.

I would sell Rojo, Smalling, Jones and Dalot.

I would keep Matic for his experience for another season but sell Pogba, Sanchez, Perreira and Lingard.

Back up wise:

Tuanzabe replaces the centre backs sold
Laird repalces Dalot

I would likes us to then sign:
A quality centre back - Hopefully then Tuanzabe can replace one of Bailly/Lindelof over the next season too
Three central midfielders - Still not totally convinced by Fred or McTominay
Right winger - Sancho Sancho Sancho

I would expect a net spend of around £100m max once we have sold the players mentioned.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If we can get Sancho great, if not we ought to be signing an extra no.10 or right winger, but I don't think we need 2 players - ideally it would be someone who could play both positions. I'd be OK with that player being Grealish as I think he carries the ball superbly and still has room to develop. I wouldn't have any qualms about playing him on the right or in the middle personally. If Pogba goes then we would need 2 players, but who will be in for him on big money this season? I think he's stuck here and hopefully he'll enjoy playing with a better team around him.

In terms of DM, I'm in the fair play to Matic, Fred and McTominay camp. They all showed their qualities at times last season and are well worthy of their places as things stand. Obviously if a standout player like Partey is desperate to join us and can be had for sensible money then we should seriously consider it, maybe it could be a swap for Matic or something?

Personally though, I think we should just get a top class young CM talent in such as Bellingham or Camavinga, whoever the scouts have been most impressed by. Push the boat out and let them grow into the side. Garner should also be pushing for a place, although I suspect maybe he is in need of a loan so he can come back with some confidence and experience at first team level. Could even go to Rennes / Birmingham on loan in part exchange if they need players and would be willing to play him?

Final point, unless we've some top young full back lined up, I really don't see the point offloading Dalot, and same goes for Smalling at CB really. I am still firmly of the opinion that Smalling is our 2nd best centre back and that he and Maguire would actually be a very good partnership. I'd try and find takers for Jones (much as I love him he's well past his sell by date) and Rojo and keep Maguire, Smalling, Lindelof, Bailly and Tuanzebe. Hopefully Tuanzebe can prove his ability to stay fit for an extended run and take his game to the next level, and same goes for Bailly of course. 3 solid CBs ahead of them who all have good injury records, but with the times we play 352 then they can surely find game time to impress, particularly if we're back in the Europa League again. I certainly wouldn't be signing a new CB with a questionable injury record, even if they were excellent, given the comedy situation we usually find ourselves in at CB with injuries. I think Upamecano has a reasonable record of staying fit though from what I can see, aside form that long knee injury last season. If he's as good as his stats suggest then he could be worth a punt at the right price.

Edit: Oh and of course, Lingard and Pereira out, doubt anyone would disagree at this point as long as we get another AM in. Not impressed with Lingard's attitude at all in the last couple of seasons and Pereira just doesn't have much talent. Mata I would let stick around if he wants, depends how Ole sees Gomes' chances though. I'm a Gomes fan but obviously I don't see him in training and he doesn't play much so it's hard to know. I have a feeling he and Bruno would be able to play together quite nicely though.

Last edited:

Luke1995

I think it will be the difference in whether we sign Sancho or not
Sanchez is on a monster wage and it is a hole the club dug for itself and they are going to find it very hard to get out of and though it is a minor thing he still wears the #7 jersey.
Maybe the club should just pay him a lump sum to end the contract and then he can be a free agent again and if that does not work then the club are stuck with him.
I'd rather have James Maddison than Sancho. Probably i'm in the minority, I know.

But yeah, it was hard to find a buyer for Sanchez before the corona and that makes it even harder.

Also, I don't see the point in having Lee Grant. Seriously, just why ?

Luke1995

Pogba: It depends on whether he wants to stay or not
Even if he doesn't want to stay, he has a contract until June 2021. The club should, by all means, keep him until the very last day.

Not just because of what he can offer on the pitch, but he is a key part of shirt sales and the club's marketing actions.

Probably can make more selling products with Pogba's name than actually selling him.

devilish

Even if he doesn't want to stay, he has a contract until June 2021. The club should, by all means, keep him until the very last day.

Not just because of what he can offer on the pitch, but he is a key part of shirt sales and the club's marketing actions.

Probably can make more selling products with Pogba's name than actually selling him.
Its not recommendable to keep an unhappy player on crazy salary especially if he starts (or continues) feigning injury and having his agent causing us all sort of trouble. I believe a deal with Real can be made. For example a fee + Achraf, Jovic and/or Odegaard could be beneficial to both.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'd rather have James Maddison than Sancho. Probably i'm in the minority, I know.

But yeah, it was hard to find a buyer for Sanchez before the corona and that makes it even harder.

Also, I don't see the point in having Lee Grant. Seriously, just why ?
3rd choice keeper, low wages & a keeper who is suitable for the role. What do you expect to be our 3rd choice keeper? A young keeper who needs game time?

Luke1995

Its not recommendable to keep an unhappy player on crazy salary especially if he starts (or continues) feigning injury and having his agent causing us all sort of trouble. I believe a deal with Real can be made. For example a fee + Achraf, Jovic and/or Odegaard could be beneficial to both.
No way they would want to include Odegaard in any deal. I'd be happy to get Nacho (currently their fourth choice RB) to provide competition for AWB

Luke1995

3rd choice keeper, low wages & a keeper who is suitable for the role. What do you expect to be our 3rd choice keeper? A young keeper who needs game time?
I meant more in the sense of, what third keepers do usually ? Unless there are injuries to De Gea and Romero at the same time, any third keeper pretty much receives a salary for training only.

They don't even play Lee Grant in the league cup or the fa cup.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I meant more in the sense of, what third keepers do usually ? Unless there are injuries to De Gea and Romero at the same time, any third keeper pretty much receives a salary for training only.

They don't even play Lee Grant in the league cup or the fa cup.
Their role is to provide more option if one of the 2 other keeper got injured. That's why they need to be in very low wages that's not going to hurt us financially & being okay to not have any game, not to worry about their development. Beside, I would like to see Grant to also take a keeper coaching if he's interested to be one in the future. This also benefit for both himself & our team.

devilish

No way they would want to include Odegaard in any deal. I'd be happy to get Nacho (currently their fourth choice RB) to provide competition for AWB
Odegaard might not be a surplus to their requirements but he's hardly squad player let alone a first teamer. They would probably accept him in the deal as Pogba would send him further down in the pecking order

Bondi77

We really do not need a 3rd choice keeper.
We can have our u23 GK as emergency backup and in Kovar we have one of the best around but in all likelihood he will not be called upon.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We really do not need a 3rd choice keeper.
We can have our u23 GK as emergency backup and in Kovar we have one of the best around but in all likelihood he will not be called upon.
A young keeper should be going on loan for experienced not being a 3rd choice keeper.

buckooo1978

Undoubtedly, we need backups upgrades... let alone upgrades to some of the first choices.

Current Squad, imo

"Deadwoods": Jones, Rojo, Lingard, Grant, Sanchez, Smalling
Backups: Pereira, Romero, Mata, Tuanzebe, Dalot, Bailly, Williams, Matic
Regulars: all the rest.

Ole sees Lingard as regular, Jones as backup and Dalot as "deadwood" though.
All the centre-midfielders are essentially regulars, difficult for now to see which ones are backups.
agree with all this and two decent windows coupled with Garner and one or two others developing could really improve the quality of the team and squad

Given the financial issues Championship and European clubs are facing we could really do well picking up Dan James level players if we managed to shift 5 or 6 this Summer

selling with be the hard part

red4ever 79

The only players I would like to see leave the club now are Jones, Rojo, Lingard, Sanchez and Perriera. I think we have done a good job of trimming the list over the past two years.

Bondi77

A young keeper should be going on loan for experienced not being a 3rd choice keeper.
We have to have a u23 keeper at the club because we have an u23 team that plays in their respective league and he can be used as emergency backup.
We currently have three GKs on loan at the moment as far as I know.
Kovar was actually named in one of the Europa league squads so he is capable.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We have to have a u23 keeper at the club because we have an u23 team that plays in their respective league and he can be used as emergency backup.
We currently have three GKs on loan at the moment as far as I know.
Kovar was actually named in one of the Europa league squads so he is capable.
Don't you know that the keeper from U23 match can also be from over 23 years old & also U18?

A young keeper needs proper experienced to be developed. And when I said proper experienced is playing in actual professional comp not U23 or U18.

Being named in Europa league squads don’t show capability. How is sitting on the bench means the player is capable? Ole fielded a full young squad once in Europa League.

Last edited:

United Pro

Don't you know that the keeper from U23 match can also be from over 23 years old & also U18?

A young keeper needs proper experienced to be developed. And when I said proper experienced is playing in actual professional comp not U23 or U18.

Being named in Europa league squads don’t show capability. How is sitting on the bench means the player is capable? Ole fielded a full young squad once in Europa League.
Lee Grant extended his contract by a year in March so he'll be the third choice keeper next season. Kovar is very talented and I'd be very surprised if he doesn't go out on loan next season. I could easily see performing well for a Championship side.