The Deadwoods Assassinated by Babyface

dmode

This is the best team management that we can have after so many feck-ups like Sanchez etc, so thank you Ole... but!

The consequences might be disastrous though due to the lack of quality and we should not forget that we're very unlucky in terms of injuries.

Let's hope for the best.

Allas8

Last season our defense was leaking while Smalling was our main defender. He started 24 league games where we conceded 37 goals, and his defensive record did not get any better when Solskjaer came in, 11 games started and 17 goals conceded, 1.5 goals per game, thats 57 goals conceded per season. Add to that Smalling is our weakest defender with the ball in his feet, its time to let him go, but people seem to want to still cling on to him as if he suddenly is going to become good for us. No wonder our squad is bloated.

DickDastardly

Everyone is making up whatever narrative they want. Lukaku and Sanchez and Smalling instigated moves for lack of guarantee of playing time. Darmian has been on the 50 percent off shelf for 5 years and the board just wacked a 99 percent sale sign in him.
There has been nothing from Ole saying he wants rid infact he is saying the opposite.
Maybe he is ruthless behind the scenes but let's face it. Anyone saying it's him assassinating everyone is just making it up.
As a manager with the squad the way it is I can't believe Ole would not want Sanchez, Lukaku and Smalling on the bench if they were happy to do that.
Sure you can.

He said a lot of player won't be playing for this club come next season.

When things didn't go as fast as we thought, we all said, naah, shit aint happening.

Now, after selling Lukaku and Darmian, loaning Sanchez and Smalling, things are on the roll.

I wouldn't mind him getting rid of Rojo, Young, Bailly and Jones for that matter, but the truth is that Young is on his last season, Matić as well, and he'll probably get rid of Rojo and Bailly next season.

Good on Ole!

Zen86

Great to see the foundations slowly being put in place. We’ve not signed any strong replacements no, but this should set the scene for identifying the correct players in future. We have to look beyond the short term here, ie this season.

MrBrightside1989

I think it's great that ole is moulding the squad the way he wants it. It would have been better if these moves happened earlier and we brought in some replacements though. Are our young players good enough to deputise/ push for starts- especially with long European journeys coming up.

Let's hope so, could be exciting times...

reddevil80

for me, a good start to what appears to be a long term plan. Personally, Sanchez' loan is only a "scouting" decision. OGS must just be sending him to get more game time and maybe prove he isn't as bad as he has been. OGS has said on a few occasions he sees a very good striker in Sanchez so, while he is recovering from his injuries, this is a huge opportunity for both him and Mason to prove their worth.

I just hope fans can see he appears to have man utd's future as his central aim and that he has a plan, it just won't come into fruition straight away. As with everything, it will take time. As well as this though, he has to give the fans joy and excitement and some success and with the clearout he's just had, it's beginning. As long as he shows we are progressing, we need to be patient and back him.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Why is Herrera deadwood who got "cleared out" now?

He left because he chose to in order to join a better team than us, and is better than any of the players we'll pick in his position this season.

Deadwood is a relative and harsh term. I mean if we sold Young he'd be labled deadwood, but three games into the season he is genuinely the best fit leftback in our squad. For all the insults he'll have hurled his way this season (a large proportion of which will likely be from me), we are going to need him. The reality is that this is the level of player we have. We've signed 3 players under Ole. One in a position we were just short on having any players. One a gamble on a championship player. So the "deadwood" for the most part is in reality the players we will need to rely on to some extent.

Centreback is literally the only area at present where we can pick and choose who is good enough to be here

Jacob

1: David De Gea
22: Sergio Romero
13: Lee Grant

2: Victor Lindelof
3: Eric Bailly
4: Phil Jones
5: Harry Maguire
16: Marcos Rojo
18: Ashley Young
20: Diogo Dalot
23: Luke Shaw
29: Aaron Wan-Bissaka
24: Tim Fosu-Mensah
38: Axel Tuanzebe

6: Paul Pogba
8: Juan Mata
14: Jesse Lingard
17: Fred
31: Nemanja Matic
39: Scott McTominay
15: Andreas Pereira
37: James Garner
28: Angel Gomes

9: Anthony Martial
10: Marcus Rashford
21: Daniel James
44: Tahith Chong
26: Mason Greenwood

The imbalance is ridiculous but expected.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
1: David De Gea
13: Lee Grant
22: Sergio Romero

2: Victor Lindelof
3: Eric Bailly
4: Phil Jones
5: Harry Maguire
16: Marcos Rojo
18: Ashley Young
20: Diogo Dalot
23: Luke Shaw
24: Tim Fosu-Mensah
38: Axel Tuanzebe
29: Aaron Wan-Bissaka

6: Paul Pogba
39: Scott McTominay
8: Juan Mata
14: Jesse Lingard
15: Andreas Pereira
17: Fred
31: Nemanja Matic
37: James Garner
28: Angel Gomes

9: Anthony Martial
10: Marcus Rashford
21: Daniel James
44: Tahith Chong
26: Mason Greenwood
Legitimately forgot he existed. Looked a good prospect in 15-16, crazy that he started an FA Cup semi final.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Great to see the foundations slowly being put in place. We’ve not signed any strong replacements no, but this should set the scene for identifying the correct players in future. We have to look beyond the short term here, ie this season.
Absolutely. It will be a tough season, absolutely no doubt, but our defence is pretty sorted and our Midfield and strike force now have the opportunity to show if they are capable of performing at the level we need to return to the top.

I really like how smart the 3 signings we made this year were, let's hope the next 3 can be as good.

Revan

Assumptionman
Herrera was not 'assassinated' by anyone. We just fecked up his contract extension. I actually think that all the other players who left, should have left, and hopefully many more (Young, Jones, Bailly, Rojo, Darmian and Matic) will join them in the next 12 months.

meamth

Absolutely delighted with Ole. Guess we're heading to the right path now.

Now let the seed grow into something special, if only all our fan base is on the same boat.

TRUERED89

Just Young, Rojo, Matic and Mata to go, Hallelujah! Maybe add Calamity Jones to the list, but he'll probably be kept for CB depth now!

Tiber

Young, Matic and Rojo should all have been out the door long before Snalling. But I'm glad to see that the purge has finally started.

Cypherage

Personally, I think Pogba should be on the list of players to go, He wants to go, his heart is not at United so why keep him? he will never give United his best if his heart is not in it, He has not been terrible for United, but he has not been worth the 89Mil he cost either, United would obviously need to replace him with some quality players, but why keep players who no longer wish to be at the club.

Obviously, you can't sell everyone in one go, although it seems to be the case this season, but it's a start, De Gea dragging his feet over a new contract should also be considered for replacement, end of the day we are rebuilding, so there is no longer any room for sentiment.

meamth

Herrera was not 'assassinated' by anyone. We just fecked up his contract extension. I actually think that all the other players who left, should have left, and hopefully many more (Young, Jones, Bailly, Rojo, Darmian and Matic) will join them in the next 12 months.
Pretty sure you don't want to see Herrera on 250k per week wage at United.

Maybe we took our time to extend his contract, or maybe his agent asking him to hold out for other offers. We don't know shyte what happened behind the scenes.

I'd rather see him leave than getting that 250k per week wages.

Varun1

Maybe we took our time to extend his contract, or maybe his agent asking him to hold out for other offers. We don't know shyte what happened behind the scenes.

Right, so we don't know what actually happened but you assume he wanted 250k from us.

JoaquinJoaquin

Absolutely delighted with Ole. Guess we're heading to the right path now.

Now let the seed grow into something special, if only all our fan base is on the same boat.
How can you even say that after recent performances and results? Yes, i'm happy to of seen alot of the deadwood be moved on, but to be 'delighted' with everything is just bizarre.

Axle17

Ole is on the right path and has the correct vision for United. I'm liking it regardless of our current form.

So how the f**k does Ole see it and the other three couldnt?!

meamth

How can you even say that after recent performances and results? Yes, i'm happy to of seen alot of the deadwood be moved on, but to be 'delighted' with everything is just bizarre.
I'm delighted because imo since Fergie retired, the team is likeable again. We're full of youth, we're trying to attack more, (although it didn't work out yet), we're clearly building a new back bone.

Results can wait, if Ole said he needs the correct player and that kind of player couldn't be obtained this season, I can live with that.

He laid the foundation and space for players coming in, and I truly believe in his project.

El Zoido

I'm delighted because imo since Fergie retired, the team is likeable again. We're full of youth, we're trying to attack more, (although it didn't work out yet), we're clearly building a new back bone.

Results can wait, if Ole said he needs the correct player and that kind of player couldn't be obtained this season, I can live with that.

He laid the foundation and space for players coming in, and I truly believe in his project.
I agree. The foundation is taking shape, the results will come with time & a couple more additions. Rome wasn’t built in a day..

Bruno8

Lots of fans moan about Jones, justifiably so, but I still dont get Eric Bailly.

Im convinced if he had not been injured he would have left by now

TRUERED89

Last season our defense was leaking while Smalling was our main defender. He started 24 league games where we conceded 37 goals, and his defensive record did not get any better when Solskjaer came in, 11 games started and 17 goals conceded, 1.5 goals per game, thats 57 goals conceded per season. Add to that Smalling is our weakest defender with the ball in his feet, its time to let him go, but people seem to want to still cling on to him as if he suddenly is going to become good for us. No wonder our squad is bloated.
How do you become a professional, if you cant play under some pressure or pass reasonably well, especially at Man United. Were defenders just judged on heading ability as being good enough by scouts. Quite baffling how some of these mediocre guys make it to the top level!

JoaquinJoaquin

That's all well and good, but when we finish 9th or 10th what kind of calibre player is he going to bring in? Because the likes of Longstaff aren't taking us back up the table that is for sure.

Balljy

There is obviously a long term plan going on for the first time in ages. With all the deadwood in the squad it was always going to be difficult to build due to the squad size, wage bill and individual wages which new players would want parity with.

We have somebody who isn't scared to take the drastic first step, free up the wages and the squad and get a proper rebuild done rather than buy a few high paid, profile players who can't influence a squad which had so much dross underneath it. The results this year were never going to be great, but putting the club into a position where we can build without constraints feels great.

meamth

Right, so we don't know what actually happened but you assume he wanted 250k from us.
Well maybe that's what he wanted?

If we offered him 150k per week and he basically got an offer letter from PSG with that big fat contract, do we have to blame the club?

He called himself a Red devil, but that's just his PR stunt isn't it? Herrera is not 250k per week player.

JoaquinJoaquin

There is obviously a long term plan going on for the first time in ages. With all the deadwood in the squad it was always going to be difficult to build due to the squad size, wage bill and individual wages which new players would want parity with.

We have somebody who isn't scared to take the drastic first step, free up the wages and the squad and get a proper rebuild done rather than buy a few high paid, profile players who can't influence a squad which had so much dross underneath it. The results this year were never going to be great, but putting the club into a position where we can build without constraints feels great.
I'm sorry, but a few posters on here live in dream world. Yes the deadwood needed moved on and i'm as happy as anyone at that, but Football is a results business, and when you don't get results you end up in poor finishing positions (like it's looking we will this season). At that point the top players needed to take you back to the top then don't want to join. Realistically once Pogba goes next Summer who are we going to bring in to re-inforce that midfield? Sean Longstaff and the likes aren't the answer right now, and will only cement you as a mid table club. We need top class mixed in with the GOOD young players (that doesn't include Andreas, Lingard, possibly McTominay etc.), and once we lose another world class player (possibly 2 with De Gea) it puts us even further down the pecking order of teams players want to sign for. If we finish 10th then you get the likes of even James Maddison considering whether he would want to join. At that point where does your 'long term plan' go?

meamth

I'm sorry, but a few posters on here live in dream world. Yes the deadwood needed moved on and i'm as happy as anyone at that, but Football is a results business, and when you don't get results you end up in poor finishing positions (like it's looking we will this season). At that point the top players needed to take you back to the top then don't want to join. Realistically once Pogba goes next Summer who are we going to bring in to re-inforce that midfield? Sean Longstaff and the likes aren't the answer right now, and will only cement you as a mid table club. We need top class mixed in with the GOOD young players (that doesn't include Andreas, Lingard, possibly McTominay etc.), and once we lose another world class player (possibly 2 with De Gea) it puts us even further down the pecking order of teams players want to sign for. If we finish 10th then you get the likes of even James Maddison considering whether he would want to join. At that point where does your 'long term plan' go?
It's not a dream mate, it's the path we're going now. That's the reality we're in.

Majority of the posters forgot Fergie always make his own stars, and usually signs big potential wonderkids instead of ready made top players. (We had the berbas, verons, tevez before, i know that.)

But hey, if caf existed when Fergie started there will be fans like you asking him to go. For a long time, we finally look like a club with direction with Ole at the helm.

Let's give him time, it's just 4 games in with the deadwood gone.

Untd55

If we offered him 150k per week and he basically got an offer letter from PSG with that big fat contract, do we have to blame the club?

He called himself a Red devil, but that's just his PR stunt isn't it? Herrera is not 250k per week player.
Herrera probably would have accepted a lower offer from Manutd if it was done earlier. He already said he had decided to join PSG by the time Manutd offered him a contract (We must not have offered him a contract until the last six months of his current one at the time - too late), so it is understandable that he wanted more money at that point to change his mind. It is completely the clubs fault there.

Balljy

I don't think anybody is suggesting that it's an easy option, but the last few years haven't moved us anywhere and more importantly the players who weren't offering anything on the pitch were taking ludicrous wages.

A club can't just offer more and more to an already big squad. Like any business you free up the cash to allow for building in the right way going forward. We're in a state, I agree but that isn't because we bought a load of world class players who deserve to be in the squad ahead of the youngsters. It's the opposite. All we've done is get rid of players offering basically nothing which hopefully allows us to buy the right players in the next couple of year .

SaintMuppet

I thoroughly expect one or more of our CB to be filling in midfield during this season. With a few injuries/suspensions it would be the only way to manage the situation numerically. Let us hope one of them turns into Kante mk2.

I’m really happy with the clearout but damn we are thin in the ground. It’s really gonna be a squeaky bum season I think ...

meamth

I don't think anybody is suggesting that it's an easy option, but the last few years haven't moved us anywhere and more importantly the players who weren't offering anything on the pitch were taking ludicrous wages.

A club can't just offer more and more to an already big squad. Like any business you free up the cash to allow for building in the right way going forward. We're in a state, I agree but that isn't because we bought a load of world class players who deserve to be in the squad ahead of the youngsters. It's the opposite. All we've done is get rid of players offering basically nothing which hopefully allows us to buy the right players in the next couple of year .
I wanted to write that point across, thank you.

We're demolishing the big mansion we built with different contractors, all of it.

With that empty land, here comes another contractor, let him finish the project

JoaquinJoaquin

It's not a dream mate, it's the path we're going now. That's the reality we're in.

Majority of the posters forgot Fergie always make his own stars, and usually signs big potential wonderkids instead of ready made top players. (We had the berbas, verons, tevez before, i know that.)

But hey, if caf existed when Fergie started there will be fans like you asking him to go. For a long time, we finally look like a club with direction with Ole at the helm.

Let's give him time, it's just 4 games in with the deadwood gone.
Hold on a minute, Fergie at least had some credentials before he came to United. Ole has none (and no, winning the Norwegian league doesn't count). Ole has proven absolutely nothing on the pitch, aside from a few nice counter attacking goals. We are playing relegation fodder and not winning. There is absolutely no excuse for that. We can blame unluckiness, VAR, Refs, whatever you want but the fact is you don't drop points on a regular basis to these teams, and that looks like our level now. So I think we are approaching scary territory, not a positive one if i'm being brutally honest.

If we looked better on the pitch, and removed the deadwood then that would be the ideal situation. It just seems we have skinned the squad of experienced players and are trying to fill the gaps in with kids, who may or may not even be good enough. We already know the likes of Pereira, Lingard etc aren't.

Fergie made stars, to play alongside proven quality. We don't have that proven quality barring 2-3 players.

JoaquinJoaquin

But are we freeing up cash to then adequately replace these players? or are we doing to it to save the Glazers more money? We have already seen the Glazers tighten the purse strings in terms of Transfer budgets, and how do we know they aren't going to do the same to the wage bill? I don't know how anyone can have confidence we will we bring in any sort of quality next Summer.

We could well be in a position next Summer where we have just finished 9th or 10th, lost Pogba and De Gea, have a pretty poor squad as it is, have Woodward negotiating transfers and the Glazers who are tightening the purse strings? Sounds like doomsday, but is a very real scenario in place.

Alot more realistic then us going on a 'mad one' and signing the likes of Jadon Sancho etc anyways.

Think a few people need to wake up and realize the huge mess we are in.

Varun1

My post was aimed at the fact that you rightly pointed out that we don't know the full story, yet there you are assuming he wanted 250K. And that it was a PR exercise when he called himself a Red Devil.

He was an integral part of Ole's team whom, am sure, he would have liked to keep. That he played so many games under Ole, is proof of that. And that's not even an assumption on my part... I was not always his biggest fan during his time here, but towards the end especially, he proved his worth.
IMO (and that's an assumption), he would have signed if we had done the right thing and offered him a contract sooner. To me, that's a respect thing...
And as @UTD55 pointed out, it seems that by the time we did offer him a contract, PSG had already offered him more. Assuming the laws of the game were followed, that would have been in the last 6 months of his contract with us. Now, what human being will sign a contract for a lower amount when another company is offering him a lot more.

Something that many seem to forget: When a player moves to another team on a free, having turned down a contract extension from his existing club, he usually ends up with a higher salary and other financial benefits, partly because he didn't command a transfer fee.
So, yeah, there's many factors in Herrera earning (apparently) 250k at PSG.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman

We don't know it, true, however, I think that he should have been a player whose contract should have been extended at least 2 years before the contract run out. There were no rumours that we offered him a new contract until his final year, at which stage PSG offered him more.

I agree that Herrera at 250k/week would have been crazy. Only Pogba and De Gea (the version of him prior to 12 months ago) deserve such a contract in our team.