The disgusting way fans treat journalists

Himannv

Twitter, and most of the internet to be fair, just has zero accountability so people say what they want. They'd all get punched if they say the same thing to people's faces.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Live by the sword, die by the sword

Chat shit get banged

Majority of them made up bullshit news they're bound to get called upon at one point

(I don't condone racist/violent threats etc, but being called a fraud is fair game)
this

Also tier journalists exist because fans can distinguish between liars and those who are slightly more reliable.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Ok you're either incredibly dim or on a WUM. Either way I'm out.
It's actually quite unbelievable isn't it?
Andy even called Traore as a United target back in July and Pellistri too.

He was correct about the Serbian player. All summer he also said Sancho was number one target for united but also that he'd only come if Dortmund lowered the price, again this was correct.

I've known Andy remotely via the Internet for several years and he isn't my mate or anything close to that, but I would 100% vouch for his credibility having seen him be correct time and time again.

He sees transfer stuff as a necessary evil for his job. He much prefers writing quality articles with good research and by speaking to people close to the stories. The guy is as big a United fan as anyone.

Does my head in to see people who have no idea about him talk shit.

wolvored

If journalists just told the truth there would be no calling out. In football ufd were linked and supposedly buying 42 players in mourinhos first season here. My grandson kept a record of all the different players linked in the media he could find. Mou signed 4 so that means even if they had had links and option a b c d for the 4 players that would still have left 26 bogus players at least. That's why journalists are called out as making stuff up

big rons sovereign

Aah, what a shame for the precious little mites. It must be the easiest job in the world, get up in the morning, do nothing, go to lunch, make something up about Manchester United over coffee and a doughnut. Go home and do the same again tomorrow.
They're lucky to not be dealing with Joe kinnear.

SiRed

A lot of Journos deserve abuse - The majority of them make up stories that effect peoples careers and relationships so why should they get off scott free.

I still remember the predicted line ups being published in the Sun (i think) for the 2011 ECL final.
It had something like this;

1 VDS
20 Fabio
15 Vidic
5 Ferdinand
3 Evra
16 Carrick
18 Scholes
13 Park
11 Un-named premier league footballer
10 Rooney
25 Valencia

This is at a time when it had not yet been confirmed who the unnamed premier league footballer was who had been slipping one too his brothers wife and if i remember rightly there was some kind of order in place to prevent names being printed?!

Anyway, bang out of order IMO

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
It's actually quite unbelievable isn't it?
Andy even called Traore as a United target back in July and Pellistri too.

He was correct about the Serbian player. All summer he also said Sancho was number one target for united but also that he'd only come if Dortmund lowered the price, again this was correct.

I've known Andy remotely via the Internet for several years and he isn't my mate or anything close to that, but I would 100% vouch for his credibility having seen him be correct time and time again.

He sees transfer stuff as a necessary evil for his job. He much prefers writing quality articles with good research and by speaking to people close to the stories. The guy is as big a United fan as anyone.

Does my head in to see people who have no idea about him talk shit.
This is the sort of take that everyone should apply to all journalists, people don't know shite about the journalists or their jobs so should refrain from calling them frauds, because quite frankly they don't know shit!

If journalists just told the truth there would be no calling out. In football ufd were linked and supposedly buying 42 players in mourinhos first season here. My grandson kept a record of all the different players linked in the media he could find. Mou signed 4 so that means even if they had had links and option a b c d for the 4 players that would still have left 26 bogus players at least. That's why journalists are called out as making stuff up
Journalism is an intricate and complicated matter.

What if your source told you a little white lie to get you off their case. As far as you're aware what you are being told is the truth, why would you question it?

Story comes out, turns out wasn't as good as you thought. Boom credibility takes a slight hit.

Man Utd have a long list of targets, I wouldn't be suprised if each year it hits the 50's and 60's list of players, so 42 players may well be the case. Or a selling club puts out in the papers that United are after them and boom, it gathers pace.

It's not as simple as it seems

Now, for the below.......

Is poor Gary Cotteril still getting bullied over in Germany?
Aah, what a shame for the precious little mites. It must be the easiest job in the world, get up in the morning, do nothing, go to lunch, make something up about Manchester United over coffee and a doughnut. Go home and do the same again tomorrow.
They're lucky to not be dealing with Joe kinnear.
Disgusting takes, the pair of them.

One, how can you belittle a job like that and two how can you dimish something as bad as personal abuse as "poor" and making it not seem as bad as it is.

Disgusting takes. Needs to be stamped out the game.

These are REAL people behind the stories, with families and lives of their own.

It's just fecking football at the end of the day.

RashyForPM

Liam Gallagher labelled Twitter ‘the Idiot’s Playground’. He’s never said anything truer, nor have any of us.

big rons sovereign

This is the sort of take that everyone should apply to all journalists, people don't know shite about the journalists or their jobs so should refrain from calling them frauds, because quite frankly they don't know shit!

Journalism is an intricate and complicated matter.

What if your source told you a little white lie to get you off their case. As far as you're aware what you are being told is the truth, why would you question it?

Story comes out, turns out wasn't as good as you thought. Boom credibility takes a slight hit.

Man Utd have a long list of targets, I wouldn't be suprised if each year it hits the 50's and 60's list of players, so 42 players may well be the case. Or a selling club puts out in the papers that United are after them and boom, it gathers pace.

It's not as simple as it seems

Now, for the below.......

One, how can you belittle a job like that and two how can you dimish something as bad as personal abuse as "poor" and making it not seem as bad as it is.

So, it's ok to sit and make up lies for profit but not ok to call them out? Ridiculous.
What about the people they lie about, are they not real people?
They're not all bad, but I'd wager 98% of them are absolute gutter.
Cry me a River.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I shouldn't respond to this as I suspect you are just trolling, but that's quite a poor argument in your post there. Are there some journalists who make up transfer stories for hits? I'm sure there are. Does every football journalist do this? Absolutely not. Making sweeping judgments of an entire group of people who have the same job is not a healthy thing to do in life. Anyway, I shall await your highly empathic and well-thought out post in response.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
It's not fair, but like with any celebrity on social media that gets the same shit I'd happily trade places with them, seems a small price to pay to make a living doing what they do.

big rons sovereign

I shouldn't respond to this as I suspect you are just trolling, but that's quite a poor argument in your post there. Are there some journalists who make up transfer stories for hits? I'm sure there are. Does every football journalist do this? Absolutely not. Making sweeping judgments of an entire group of people who have the same job is not a healthy thing to do in life. Anyway, I shall await your highly empathic and well-thought out post in response.
Lot of holier than thou wetwipes around today.
Cry me a River pal.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Your life is sad if you feel the need to be abusive to anyone online.

El Zoido

I hate Twitter but Twitter isn’t the problem, it’s just the spotlight.

Eplel

I'm against abuse of any kind.

However, it has to be noted that journos and media in general rank very high in the list of things that are shit in this world (Probably top 5, along with politicians, corporations, extremists of any ideology and manchester city)
Sure, in sports it's not as bad as it is in general, as there is only so much damage they can do, but they're still very toxic in general, very click-baity, and very disrespectful of players/managers/clubs.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Couldn't this be the "people behave in a disgusting way on twitter" thread? Is there anything unique in the behavior of football fans, really?

SuperiorXI

The internet is toxic, what's new here?
This. If you're willing to get into an industry where you're constantly in the public eye, trying to get people to read your stuff (thus naturally making them controversial at times) expect a lot of shit to be thrown your way.

It's easy to hide behind a twitter handle and sling shit.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
What also upsets me is this whole "Tier" based system for journalists. What?!

Imagine how it must feel, if you'd work for years upon years working at lower level newspaper organisations (Such as local and community based newspaper orgs) and gradually cutting your teeth and working your way up for 10-15 years until you finally get the job that you want. For some snotty nosed entitled teenager or manchild telling you that your work is shite because it's not exactly the most positive news.
Not sure how those points are connected as the tier system as I know it is based on the amount of information that lately get official confirmation that you get, not on the positive/negative news. I’d say that this is quite a fair system.

As for the general point of this thread – yeah, it’s horrible. It’s not an excuse for their behavior, but Twitter is by far the most toxic environment around, in any field – football, music, whatever. Tons of anonymous and usually not very mature and stable people get direct access to literally everyone that’s registered in the system. What can go wrong?

Himannv

It was a lame attempt at a joke and not meant as an insult to Cotteril who was just caught up in the media circus surrounding the biggest saga of the window. It's not like he was mistreated by Dortmund or anything as far as I know. Lighten up and sit back on the United Sofa ffs.

poleglass red

I wouldn't be in favour of abusing them online, but the nature of the business for most of them, is throw enough shit at the wall and hope some sticks.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I wouldn't be in favour of abusing them online, but the nature of the business for most of them, is throw enough shit at the wall and hope some sticks.
at least most journalists don't come out with a cliche like this one!

Pablo76

Live by the sword, die by the sword

Chat shit get banged

Majority of them made up bullshit news they're bound to get called upon at one point

(I don't condone racist/violent threats etc, but being called a fraud is fair game)
I couldn’t have put it any better myself, completely agree with all of this.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Football is a game. The male one is a gentleman's game.

For me it's okay to have love for a team or a bunch of players; yet too many people take this too seriously to heart. People forget that these players are humans and not just CGI. Some peoples rivalry of other clubs, players and fans are so deep that it genuinely turns in to feelings even more than hatred.

Enjoy the time you spend away from life to indulge in football. Making it your life both fully physically and emotionally is just weird.

The Journalists are no different. If they just stuck to what they know then there would be a story every only once every 2 months for a club like United. they are just humans doing a job.

Social media and the internet is even worse because you get the protection of a blank screen; but maybe some should aim to protect their morale.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
A lot of people use the internet to let their cnut side out without consequence. You don't have to see someone's emails to see that. Just spend some time posting completely mundane and grounded opinions on Reddit. Won't take long until you find one.

Prodigal7

Having not read anything but the title:

oh feck off. The English football press write the most garbage, narrative ridden lies possible, especially about United.They deserve all the criticism they get.

RoyH1

The anonimity that social media provides allows for a nasty and toxic tone. This is not something exclusive to football. If you want to have a public persona and engage with the public, be prepared for getting this kind of stick.
Most modern journos know this.

iHicksy

What you have to realise is that the majority of people on the planet are idiots. Or at least, the ones who aren't idiots don't go and abuse random people and spew hatred at them on social media platforms. So, the majority of people that comment on these stories are going to be the worst of humanity. Not only that, but the anonymity of being behind a keyboard lets people who would otherwise keep their mouths shut let our their inner hatred on strangers. Some people are so angry about their own lives and inadequacies that it makes them feel better to abuse others, be it on Twitter, instagram and facebook - these platforms should all be more tightly regulated and get rid of this kind of abuse.

However, the standard of Journalism has gone downhill massively with the encroachment of social media and twitter rumours. Seemingly journalists will report any odd fluff rumour and often recycle ones without realising their own paper started it, before being picked up by an itialian outlet, which the original source will then quote as if the rumour started with the itialians. It's certainly watered down the state of Journalism and made the job of reporting any old story much, much easier without needing a direct source. But, journalists now feel they have to do this kind of thing for clicks and views. After all, we don't know what kind of metrics these outlets are measuring the "success" of a story by. It's certainly not if it's true or not. So in a way, social media has created an excuse and opportunity for a lack of morality in sports journalism and also given the general morons a voice with little to no regulation.

Rojofiam

Football Twitter is one of the cringiest places I've ever seen with all the hate, taunting and mocking towards journalists and other rival fans, "ratioing" and all that bullshit. But Twitter itself is not all about the football community and not the "idiot's playground" at all in my opinion.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
:lol:

Writers have all made their bed in this situation, if they had any integrity they would only post 100% multi source verified stories like I was always taught in school. Now its maybe one paper thin source and boom straight online. Fans are correct here and some even get called out by the clubs and or players now and I love it.

arnie_ni

Dont want to quote the whole OP.

I can understand fans gettig riled when a journo is wrong, but in the case of Andy mitten, he was actually correct on that one wasn't he?

hobbers

People, including a lot in here and in this thread, lack the brain capacity to realise that when these writers write a transfer story and it doesn’t come off it doesn’t mean it’s “made up.” That is such a childish view but it seems it’s how most operate. Transfers are made up of lots of moving parts and all sorts of motivation are at play and something can be true at the time of writing then not true by the time it’s published. All information will be sourced and carefully weighed up before the story is written.
But they are made up. The majority of them anyway. Certainly the vast majority of stories from tabloid football journos or twitter ITKs. The broadsheet ones like Ogden and Jackson obviously don't make stuff up, they just parrot what has been said by people elsewhere or act as the club's mouthpiece when they print whatever Ed tells them to.

It's ridiculously naive to think otherwise. Surely we don't need to delve back into the transfer window archives to remind ourselves of the thousands of clearly false stories? The Sun, the Express, the Daily Mail, the Star, the Mirror. What possible motivation do any of their hacks have to source information and weigh everything up carefully before publishing it? They don't care about their own reputations, they just want clicks. :lol:

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
Haha if you think football fans are bad bet you would love politics.
I haven't been around the Caf for a while, so here's my background in journalism; for 5-6 years I was a photo journalist, investigative journalist, radio segment producer for a radio station, and social media manager/content provider for a political radio station in Washington DC. I've had my life threatened by dangerous groups and individuals, tires flattened, and eventually had the leave the field of journalism and go into hiding for several years. I knew the risks I had been taking by challenging corrupt politicians, institutions, and corporations. Nowadays I'm somewhat retired living in the mountains far away from most of the population and quite happy.

As UKBob so succinctly stated, most journos are complete scum, I completely agree.

If I've learned anything at all in my experience in the field, never trust any source 100%

Now, I'll try and respond to the original post.

Journalists asking kids to behave themselves and be more responsible on social media 9 times out of 10 will only empower them to cause more trouble. My suggestion is that footy reporters need to trim their click bait back and be more accurate in reporting. I for one wouldn't want to be a journalist during this pandemic. People are bored and angry. The current conditions are going to bring out the worst in some fans.