The disrespect of Nemanja Matic

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I was one of those that said he was done. I was dead wrong, the man is fine as long as he is not over played. Class player.
Indeed. Overplaying is the one worry given he’s our only real DM. Would love to see us bring in Camavinga next season & have him be Matic’s understudy & gradual successor.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
A great solid performance funny how he tracked runners fine tonight and did exactly what you want him to do delay the counter till we can get back into shape.

Well done!

Icemav

Truth!!!

Apart from a few games here and there, he has been on a retirement tour ever since he joined from Chelsea. People were tearing their hairs out on here, but now it seems to have been forgotten.
Nonsense. He was signed from Chelsea with a warning from their fans to manage his game time because he runs out of puff mid season. He started excellently for us then Mou ran him into the ground. Shit management.

He needs to be rotated. Nothing more. Class player and needed against teams sitting deep.

Mctominay and Fred have had good seasons but they can't do what he does, like the performance today.

El Zoido

A great solid performance funny how he tracked runners fine tonight and did exactly what you want him to do delay the counter till we can get back into shape.

Well done!
Bit of an understatement I feel. He was virtually flawless today.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Brilliant today. Been actually brilliant since he came back from injury half way through the season, the key with him is just to rotate him to keep him fresh. Our best holding midfielder though still, when he is fit and fresh. Love McTominay and how much he's improved, but Matic's movement off the ball to make himself available for passes, and ability on the ball is on another level to Fred and McTominay.

Icemav

He’s not a DM. He can’t sit & dictate the tempo like Matic. McTom is a box to box, he should be Pogba & Bruno’s understudy.
He is a very decent squad player but it would be very wishful thinking for him to perform in either the style of Pogba or Matic. He has his own style and it is not about dictating play. More about disrupting.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Brilliant player when he’s not blowing out of his arse.

BlahRules

Hands up I thought Matic was finished but he has proved me wrong and is showing the reason why we bought him.

poleglass red

He offers our midfield a balance I don't think the likes of Fred and McT can give. Very underrated ability on the ball, very effective with his passing and his positioning is excellent, he reads the game so well. My concern and I think a lot of people probably share it, is how he matches up against a top team, where midfielders break at pace.It can be a weakness for him as we've seen in the past. Take nothing away from him though he has looked excellent when recalled pre covid and today

edcunited1878

He offers our midfield a balance I don't think the likes of Fred and McT can give. Very underrated ability on the ball, very effective with his passing and his positioning is excellent, he reads the game so well. My concern and I think a lot of people probably share it, is how he matches up against a top team, where midfielders break at pace.It can be a weakness for him as we've seen in the past. Take nothing away from him though he has looked excellent when recalled pre covid and today
Being countered against is a weakness for the vast majority of players in the world. Maguire and Lindelof are aren't exactly fleet afoot, but with Matic, their positioning off the ball, the shape they keep, and the anticipation/reading of the game help them tremendously.

Icemav

Indeed. Overplaying is the one worry given he’s our only real DM. Would love to see us bring in Camavinga next season & have him be Matic’s understudy & gradual successor.
That sounds very reasonable. I have always wanted a Verratti but not very likely.

I like Fred and Mctominay but they are not a like for like swap with Matic. Totally different styles of play. Now one of them can play alongside Matic, but without him there is a much lower chance of controlling a game effectively.

Glad to see others are thinking we need a new signing here despite seeming to have depth.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I’ve seen it all over social media for the entire lockdown, “who starts with Bruno & Pogba - McTominay or Fred?” I’ve seen people saying DM is the position that we most urgently need to strengthen along with RW & I highly disagree.

The majority of fans have Matic on their “sell” list when discussing our squad, like he’s a Pereira, Jones or Lingard level player. May I ask why? He is our best (and only natural) DM by a country mile, rarely misplaces a pass, keeps it simple, tackles & intercepts well. What is the issue with him? Why is he so often disrespected & disregarded by our fans?

He hasn’t had a poor game since last season, so the only thing I can think of is that a lot of fans just don’t actually watch the games & judge him on being shit on FIFA perhaps? Or is it because he’s in his 30’s? The number of people who rate McTominay higher than him is astounding to me.

In my humble opinion, upgrading our GK, CB, LB, RW & CF are all more of an urgent priority than upgrading on Matic. This myth that Fred & McTominay are better suited for playing with Bruno & Pogba needs to die. Would Ndidi & Partey even be the giant upgrade fans seem to think? Because I don’t see it. Getting a top quality left back, centre back & right winger post season is far more important.
I am saying that Matic is our best dmc for ages now so i don't have nothing to add regarding him. Our best dmc. Full stop.

BUT, now you are saying stuff which you don't like in Matic case.
Upgrading De gea? Really? What is up with you people? He is still one of the best in the league. We have 3rd best defence in league and DDG did fecked up few goals but he also had great saves.
Upgrade Lindelof? You are not happy with our defence? What did he do what you don't like?
Upgrade Martial? We have natural goalscorer who is complete striker and clinical in the box and you want who? Kane? I know, you want hardworking, big and strong old school striker.

norm87cro

No idea mate. I've seen some people praising 30 year old Carrick for the same type of performance.

PieCrust

Matic is fine when he's not being run into the ground by playing too many matches. I still rate him, but he does need upgrading on, preferably in the next window.

He's fine positionaly and defensively and can occasionally find a nice pass to launch an attack.

romufc

He has been brilliant for us since December. I love the fact that when the ball is with Maguire or Shaw, he steps into the CB role and pushes Lindelof to RB which allows AWB to push up.

The way he reads the game is incredible.

Lemansky

He is an absolutely superb player. We now have options in midfield which means he can rest a bit more and come in to the fold rested and rearing to go. With the young core we now have its important to have experienced players that actually contribute with good form and leadership on and off the pitch.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
He has been brilliant for us since December. I love the fact that when the ball is with Maguire or Shaw, he steps into the CB role and pushes Lindelof to RB which allows AWB to push up.

The way he reads the game is incredible.
If not for Bruno, would've been my player of the season based on his performances since October/November. He was largely shit for us before that though, except his first half season under Mourinho

Havak

Pokemon master
I think he just looks tired and slow when he plays multiple games in succession. All too often last season and early this season he would hold onto the ball for too long and be dispossessed. However, when he came back into the side after some time out and was fresh, he looked a completely different player and has been one of the stand-out players over our longest unbeaten run in a long time. I still think that over the next couple of years we should be looking to transition him out and find a younger player with similar qualities. However, I am now on the side that assuming he can stay close to this level next season, he should be offered another one-year contract for the 21/22 season.

Jones, Andreas, Lingard and maybe even Mata are the players I'd be looking at letting go before Matic now (not including current loan players who I expect we sell anyway). His days at Man Utd are still more numbered than the majority of our other first team players, but that's purely down to age and not ability. His experience is definitely going to be needed when he's pretty much one of only two permanent outfield players we have over 30.

Devil81

Never disrespected him one bit myself, I did on the other hand say he was being mismanaged.

He needs to be used sparingly, he can't be played every week like he was in the past.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s a huge help for Lindelof and Maguire defensively.

davidmichael

I think they’re grooming Garner to replace Matic long term as Garner is very similar to Carrick in his later years for us, if we could find a player that was a combination of Garner and McTominay we’d be laughing as that’s basically what we need or Matic of 5 years ago.

It’s likely that next season will be Matic’s last with us so Sancho and a Matic successor should be our priority this summer. Camavinga would be the dream but Rice looked good against Spurs and at 21 has time to improve and learn from both Matic and Carrick coaching, Camavinga or Rice and Garner is that position sewn up for years to come.

DuruttiColumn

He’s a fine player and we always look better with him in the team. A real cool head. I worry about his legs however, I don’t think he will play against Norwich.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He's performances makes me think we should prioritise getting his successor along with Sancho

Last edited:

Deery

Dreary
The best I’ve seen him play completely bossed it, I’d play him every game until the end of the season going on that form.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Matic certainly seems to have rediscovered his mojo in the last dozen or so games. Long may it continue.

P.S. I can't help but read the thread title in the style of Don Corleone...

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He was awful for a while. Seemed over the hill. Now he’s shown that he’s not. The problem is that some (many) can’t watch football and come to their own conclusion, so to them he’ll still be crap until they see enough people saying he’s not and even then some of those will be too stubborn to change their opinion.

We should look for a replacement before it becomes critical though. Something we’ve become rather poor at in recent years.

R'hllor

Good to see that memory span in here is on the same level as before corona.

ColvaleGoa

Matic needs his game time managing. One game a week and he will be good for next year. We got decent cover in Fred and MC Sauce. I think next Summer we will look at replacing Matic.

Let's concentrate on Getting Sancho this year and Matic next year. I think it's too early to Put Garner in that role even next year.

arthurka

We can't use him against the teams that quickly move the ball because he is getting bypassed quite easily but against all the other teams he is clearly our best option in DM and it's quite shocking to see McTominay ahead of him. I understand he is a local lad etc but Matic is levels ahead of him.
Well the matches he has played Vs City lately could prove you wrong there.. He was immense last match Vs City away..
But it's clear how better we function with a great DM in that unit.