The dominos that will fall because of Covid-19

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The virus can jump when the animal is killed or butchered.
Sometimes it jumps into a dead end. In other words, it can kill a different animal quickly which stops it in its track.

Unfortunately, this wee bugger found conditions just right when it made the leap.
In both these cases we don't know exactly how transmission from bat to host ir from host to humans. SARS was connected to the food trade most likely but as far as I can tell we don't know if transmission to humans was due to a live animal sneezing, during slaughter or due to consuming an infected animal. In the case of MERS we don't even know if it is connected to the live food trade or merely from contact with sick camels.

Still a good idea to restrict wet markets and generally improve hygiene practices of course.

Skills

Snitch
Mass general elections across Europe & the West if it really does end up resulting in a huge demographic change (as all the evidence suggests, it targets the elderly)? Surely, the ruling govts don't really have a mandate to run the country, if a significant chunk of the people that voted them in power aren't alive for the term.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
In both these cases we don't know exactly how transmission from bat to host ir from host to humans. SARS was connected to the food trade most likely but as far as I can tell we don't know if transmission to humans was due to a live animal sneezing, during slaughter or due to consuming an infected animal. In the case of MERS we don't even know if it is connected to the live food trade or merely from contact with sick camels.

Still a good idea to restrict wet markets and generally improve hygiene practices of course.
That's right. But the experts can say with certainty that they all took an evolutionary step so that pretty much knocks the tinfoil hats of the conspiracy army.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I’d be a bit wary of making any predictions which conveniently align with our hopes for the future or reflect our ideological inclinations (e.g. under normal circumstances I personally wouldn’t mind at all seeing the Iranian regime fall, but I’d be very concerned about what the consequences might be in the midst of this crisis).

The impact of the crisis, assuming it continues on its present trajectory, may produce novel, currently unimaginable ways of thinking about the world/society/politics/culture, etc., or may unleash ideas previously thought to have been consigned to the dustbin of history. There doesn’t seem much reason to me to expect a particularly rational response.

I truly look forward to reading a cultural history of the Coronavirus Crisis in a couple of decades time.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
The World will begin to reject the Governments who presided over this - in the worse hit countries especially.

A new age of moral Hedonism will hit in the aftermath - people living like they genuinely want to and reacting to being forced apart for ages.

The Housing Market will be turned inside out - elderly home owners leaving their properties to younger relatives.

Politicians will be forced to put Ecological factors right at the top of their priorities.

People constantly harping on about the Economy will realize that all the panic / bulk buying actually boosted the Economy enough to get through the crisis.

Irwin99

Better standards of animal welfare in China (I mean come on, I know this isn't new but it must be the tipping point for at least some improvement)

Skills

Snitch
Better standards of animal welfare in China (I mean come on, I know this isn't new but it must be the tipping point for at least some improvement)
Hopefully across the west too - especially the US.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
How many outliers do you know of places that have high healthy life expectancy and don’t have a strong economy and societal structures?
Cuba has exceptionally good health indicators given its disastorous GDP. Kerala, an Indian state with a historically strong Communist party, likewise has never been an exceptional SGDP performer but has great health and education results for decades. There was also a substantial jump in life expectancy in China after 1955, while it wasn't doing great in terms of economic growth.
I'm sure there are other examples, maybe some non-communist parties have also managed it with scarce resources.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Cuba has exceptionally good health indicators given its disastorous GDP. Kerala, an Indian state with a historically strong Communist party, likewise has never been an exceptional SGDP performer but has great health and education results for decades. There was also a substantial jump in life expectancy in China after 1955, while it wasn't doing great in terms of economic growth.
I'm sure there are other examples, maybe some non-communist parties have also managed it with scarce resources.
So, we agree. There's not many then. They are outliers.

(How'd this up in this thread, by the way?)

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
So, we agree. There's not many then. They are outliers.

(How'd this up in this thread, by the way?)
No, we don't. I think this shows that allocating resources in some ways (usually, away from their market optimal distribution) can improve health outcomes even with less total resources. And there are enough of these examples (all from the top of my head), with similar governing philosophies, so I think they're not outliers as much as alternatives.

I put it here becaue this is a more political question about healthcare systems and funding rather than purely about the virus.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Many Italian people before this did not see the EU in a positive light. The fact that their fellow EU members have done feck all to help them whilst China sends the country medical equipment could be the catalyst in them eventually leaving in the coming years.
I'm pretty sure I read China sold Italy the equipment though.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Peopleactually buying more cars and using less Public Transport, so we Ruin the environment even more.

ManUArfa

Hopefully it'll lead to voters starting to actually listen to what politicians say and promise and start holding them genuinely accountable again. Politics has turned into a giant reality TV show where the teams and personalities are the only thing that matter, and the policies and actions are basically irrelevant. Perhaps when people see large numbers of people they know dying, then they'll start to realize that politics actually matters and has a life and death impact on their lives.

Also hopefully it'll remind people why the NHS actually fecking matters.
So should we have hospitals with dozens of extra critical care wards, empty yet staffed full of highly qualified professionals who are twiddling their thumbs just in case we get a disease epidemic? We could use the money tree to pay for it i.e. let my kids and future grandkids' standard of living.

I prefer the more flexible NHS we currently have. I would let a better sense of public spirit and cooperation to help deal with the current problem. At the moment snowflake Britain and the mainstream media is stoking it up to the effect that they're going to be putting people's lives at risk when the peak hits.

ManUArfa

Mass general elections across Europe & the West if it really does end up resulting in a huge demographic change (as all the evidence suggests, it targets the elderly)? Surely, the ruling govts don't really have a mandate to run the country, if a significant chunk of the people that voted them in power aren't alive for the term.
Perhaps you're also hoping for a cull of the working class who didn't know what they were voting for.

It's actually people like you who are the reason why the recent UK election result went the way it did and you still can't see it.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Long shot but more people consider vegetarianism/vegan lifestyle? Diseases keep coming from the appalling conditions captive animals are kept in.
I'm saddened to see no mention of kissing dogs or letting them lick your hands without then washing them straight away. Or even eating or sharing the same food as them (licking same ice cream is one I've seen regularly specially with kids). If there is a next level 'animal to human' virus waiting in the wings then feck me guess where it is.

And the argument that this has never caused a pandemic virus before will be well advised to remember eating bats and snakes and all sorts hadn't either for centuries. Until it did. If there is one blindside-domino I would like to see fall it's this one.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
So should we have hospitals with dozens of extra critical care wards, empty yet staffed full of highly qualified professionals who are twiddling their thumbs just in case we get a disease epidemic? We could use the money tree to pay for it i.e. let my kids and future grandkids' standard of living.

I prefer the more flexible NHS we currently have. I would let a better sense of public spirit and cooperation to help deal with the current problem. At the moment snowflake Britain and the mainstream media is stoking it up to the effect that they're going to be putting people's lives at risk when the peak hits.
I’m sure you do like the ‘flexible’ NHS which actually means an NHS starved of resources with tired and overworked staff. I’m sure the doctors working insane hours with very few breaks are just ‘snowflakes’.

Obviously there is never going to be a time where a health service could just have thousands of empty beds sitting around, but the NHS hasn’t been funded properly for a very long time now.

Member 60376

I'm saddened to see no mention of kissing dogs or letting them lick your hands without then washing them straight away. Or even eating or sharing the same food as them (licking same ice cream is one I've seen regularly specially with kids). If there is a next level 'animal to human' virus waiting in the wings then feck me guess where it is.

And the argument that this has never caused a pandemic virus before will be well advised to remember eating bats and snakes and all sorts hadn't either for centuries. Until it did. If there is one blindside-domino I would like to see fall it's this one.
Boo you bad person boo! I hope you get licked by a mangy coyote

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Something that should fall is Britain's op-ed writers, their articles are being lapped in quality by Rooney:

Irwin99

Obviously not everything that society predicted would happen in the future came to happen (there's that quote about how we were promised flying cars and trips to the moon by the early 2000s and instead we got Twitter) but I do wonder how this will affect things like automation, advanced medicare etc. if the economy collapses then surely it will slow down the predicated pace of these developments, sadly when we probably need them the most. Imagine if this had happened 10, 15 years into the future where everyone's health could be measured via an app on their phone or when more people were working less hours and had UBI to fall back on. On the other hand maybe this might speed up the technological progress and be the kick in the arse that the world needs.

ManUArfa

I’m sure you do like the ‘flexible’ NHS which actually means an NHS starved of resources with tired and overworked staff. I’m sure the doctors working insane hours with very few breaks are just ‘snowflakes’.

Obviously there is never going to be a time where a health service could just have thousands of empty beds sitting around, but the NHS hasn’t been funded properly for a very long time now.
I didn't say that NHS staff were snowflakes so please don't misquote me. The fact is that healthcare funding is expensive; and does require that choices have to be made. In the UK we're very good at it and have the among highest paid senior clinical staff of those countries with publically funded health-care systems.

The money tree that many of the self righteous think exists relies on a combination of debt being piled on to future generations and gambling on stock market growth. Not a good idea me thinks....

Revan

Assumptionman
- China replacing the US as the only global superpower.

- The EU ceases to exist.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I didn't say that NHS staff were snowflakes so please don't misquote me. The fact is that healthcare funding is expensive; and does require that choices have to be made. In the UK we're very good at it and have the among highest paid senior clinical staff of those countries with publically funded health-care systems.

The money tree that many of the self righteous think exists relies on a combination of debt being piled on to future generations and gambling on stock market growth. Not a good idea me thinks....
Still plenty of money for corporations to not bother paying any fecking taxes though. Or literally billions thrown away in preparation for a no deal Brexit. But no, when it comes to the NHS then it’s all about ‘money trees’. Fecking bollocks.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Still plenty of money for corporations to not bother paying any fecking taxes though. Or literally billions thrown away in preparation for a no deal Brexit. But no, when it comes to the NHS then it’s all about ‘money trees’. Fecking bollocks.
Infuriating stuff.

ManUArfa

I'll bet a big stack of your disposable income goes to those corporations though Mr holier than thou.

Billions on no deal? Better than billions being thrown as free money to other countries that contribute nothing.

Last edited:

arnie_ni

- China replacing the US as the only global superpower.

- The EU ceases to exist.
Think the eu could take a hit myself. Alot of countries are going to be pushed into border countrol i think

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Perhaps you're also hoping for a cull of the working class who didn't know what they were voting for.

It's actually people like you who are the reason why the recent UK election result went the way it did and you still can't see it.
Explain?

Revan

Assumptionman
Think the eu could take a hit myself. Alot of countries are going to be pushed into border countrol i think
Yeah, I think that border control will get reintroduced in some way or form. Especially in short term, considering that even the disease goes away, there is a high chance of a second wave, so borders in Europe are gonna stay for a while.

Schengen was my favorite thing in EU.

Oo0AahCantona

A complete overall of working practices and a shift to a less market dominated economy. The 9-5 5 day workweek is obsolete and has been for generations. let people work from home and actually do the allotted work in the time frame required.
A totally free market doesn't respond well to crises of this magnitude, and all the gains it does bring get written off every time an event happens of this magnitude, and it allways turns to a government led approach.