The "England have had it easy" narrative

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
England could have had a group of belgium serbia and egypt, just as an example.
Given how the latter 2 ended up playing I’m sure critics would have had a different say if that happened.

prath92

I wonder how many posters in the crowd defending England's path moaned about Liverpool's path in the CL run. I see parallels in both cup runs.
Difference is Liverpool’s opponents were decided using a draw. Like the SF draw was done before the SF. England’s matches were decided well in advance and England actually had a harder group than all big teams except Spain.

All this is ignoring the fact that in the previous World Cups and Euros England failed to beat average sides like Iceland Costa Rica New Zealand etc.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
How is there even a debate about this? England haven’t faced one decent team yet.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Tunisia are the highest ranked team in Africa.

Colombia finished ahead of Chile (current Copa America champions) in the South American qualification group.

Sweden knocked out Germany, Italy and the Netherlands.

Croatia have just beaten the team that knocked out Spain.

England's route to the final has been full of teams with amazing records. It's disrespectful to ignore that.

Focusing on reputations rather than results is why England are so underrated in the first place. We have Jesse Lingard rather than Lionel Messi. But you know what? Jesse Lingard is actually doing the business.

Big names be damned.
This.

99withaflake

Difference is Liverpool’s opponents were decided using a draw. Like the SF draw was done before the SF. England’s matches were decided well in advance and England actually had a harder group than all big teams except Spain.

All this is ignoring the fact that in the previous World Cups and Euros England failed to beat average sides like Iceland Costa Rica New Zealand etc.
Agreed. In previous tournaments we've struggled to beat average teams. Now that we're beating them, there's still big question marks for many people, because we've not played one of the favourites.

Whatever happens, and even if we lose 3-0 to Croatia, this England team has progressed. That's all we wanted at the start of the tournaments - to give a good account of ourselves and show improvement. A Quarter Final win and Semi Final match are just huge bonuses.

djd

Does it matter what type of run it is, as long as you progress?

Germany had an easier group than England according to FIFA rankings, yet they failed to progress.

Regalia

I love the denial. Just because big teams have been crap against minnows, does not mean the minnows are all dangerous. This has been England's easiest ever route probably. Southgate and the team decided to take the easier route by going second in a useless group so that they have a better route to semis. And so far it has worked well.
I don't mind all such tricks. It is not cheap or illegal. Except certain English fans hypocricy to call out other team tactics as cowardice, when their NT took the easiest route, there is no problem. FIFA made such a route available and England NT took it. Fair fecks.
I don't see why fans should feel ashamed or try to create a new narrative that it was some kind of tough route.

I hope Croats put in a real tough match. England need to come out winning in a hard test if they want any chance to defeat France or Belgium in the final.
This right here. I remember all the screaming when Japan played 'negatively' and got through to R16 via fairplay rules. Then right after that, everyone thought England would be 'smart' to just throw their game against Belgium to get easy games (which they now have). They weren't likely to beat Belgium anyway, B team or not, so not sure about what all the fuss was about.

SER19

@SER19 if memory serves, there were plenty preferring Belgium to top the group as it set up a potentially easier path on the other side of the bracket for the group runnerup. Further backs up your post.
100%. At the time most england fans understandably wanted the easy route, and now that they have it they want everybody to say it isn't straightforward.

SER19

Given how the latter 2 ended up playing I’m sure critics would have had a different say if that happened.
Was just an example though. I would rank tunisia and panama as the worst teams from pot 3 and 4. Again its not a criticism, England didn't do the draw, nor did they do their simple qualifying draw, but the way it has gone made a semi final appearance a near certainty.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
It was a smart move from Southgate to take it easy against Belgium. Going against Colombia and Sweden as opposed to facing Brazil and France. Worked out well for England. They have a good chance against an exhausted Croatia, too. But I don't see them beating the winner of France/Belgium encounter in the final.

FlawlessThaw

Was just an example though. I would rank tunisia and panama as the worst teams from pot 3 and 4. Again its not a criticism, England didn't do the draw, nor did they do their simple qualifying draw, but the way it has gone made a semi final appearance a near certainty.
I can’t remember the pots so will take your word for it though one of them did contain Saudi Arabia and Tunisia are a better side than a Salah-less Egypt.

Nah it’s definitely not a certainty for England to get to the semis, certainly not before the start of the tournament when you had Germany and Argentina likely to be in the mix. You give England too much credit in that respect. They’re not much better than Colombia or Sweden.

I’m all for saying England had an easier draw than most teams getting to the semis, but they deserve credit for getting there.

SER19

Easier, not easy.
Relatively easy. But yes without the pedantry call it what you like, i think many non england fans do see the way some england fans are acting as pretty typical. Not everybody is bitter or anti england for making an observstion on a very strsightforward path, that would absolutely be made were it spain, Argentina etc making the same route. Way too defensive and often hypocritical attitudes. Will england fans be happy if their route is ignored or if all neutrals pretend it wasnt a fantastic fall of the draw

FlawlessThaw

100%. At the time most england fans understandably wanted the easy route, and now that they have it they want everybody to say it isn't straightforward.
Lots of Belgians did as well to be fair. It was a weird match to watch.

It was also a gamble to make to lose a game if you are one of those people who believe in momentum. Colombia were a much tougher side than Japan and England hadn’t won a knockout game for 12 odd years.

SER19

I can’t remember the pots so will take your word for it though one of them did contain Saudi Arabia and Tunisia are a better side than a Salah-less Egypt.

Nah it’s definitely not a certainty for England to get to the semis, certainly not before the start of the tournament when you had Germany and Argentina likely to be in the mix. You give England too much credit in that respect. They’re not much better than Colombia or Sweden.

I’m all for saying England had an easier draw than most teams getting to the semis, but they deserve credit for getting there.
Of course they do. And yes pre tournament nobody would predict it, i should clarify that i meant if somebody had shown me englands run pre tournament and told me theyd need to lose to belgium and rodriguez would be out for colombia i would have bet my life on them making the semis

FlawlessThaw

Of course they do. And yes pre tournament nobody would predict it, i should clarify that i meant if somebody had shown me englands run pre tournament and told me theyd need to lose to belgium and rodriguez would be out for colombia i would have bet my life on them making the semis
Fair enough, you had a lot of esteem for Southgates side.

SER19

Fair enough, you had a lot of esteem for Southgates side.
More a lack of any expectation from tunisia panama and sweden. Anyway if England go on to win it then good luck to them what an amazing time to be an england fan. Id also be delighted for the united contingent. There are other reasons people might not want to see England win it (not necessarily my personal feelings) and often it's nothing at all to do with bitterness or hatred.

England fans can't expect football supporters to behave differently because it now suits them

FlawlessThaw

There are other reasons people might not want to see England win it (not necessarily my personal feelings) and often it's nothing at all to do with bitterness or hatred.

England fans can't expect football supporters to behave differently because it now suits them
I completely agree here. I have no issue if non-English fans supporting the opposition. England fans who get their knickers in a twist about really ought to grow up. We’re a relatively big country with an awkward history, let’s just enjoy our own team who are also likeable for once.

Also as an United fan, quite used to neutral fans wanting my side to lose. Never bothered me there either.

99withaflake

Relatively easy. But yes without the pedantry call it what you like, i think many non england fans do see the way some england fans are acting as pretty typical. Not everybody is bitter or anti england for making an observstion on a very strsightforward path, that would absolutely be made were it spain, Argentina etc making the same route. Way too defensive and often hypocritical attitudes. Will england fans be happy if their route is ignored or if all neutrals pretend it wasnt a fantastic fall of the draw
Coming into the tournament, nobody thought England had a great squad. Not even us English. A group of youngsters, some talent here and there, but never going to make a huge mark on the competition. The objective was to get out of the group and show some progression, to leave us in a better position for the Euros and the World Cup. Doing well in Russia was a bonus.

Colombia are a decent side - they finished ahead of Chile in the qualifiers and played some good football in the group stages. Sweden are a decent side - they knocked out Germany, Italy and Holland. Beating both of them with our inexperience team in knockout football games is not "relatively easy". It's convenient to say that after they've won.

99withaflake

Also, I've seen you refer to Sweden as a Championship team.

Championship teams don't beat Italy and Holland in the qualifiers, top a group which included Germany, and also beat Mexico, South Korea and Denmark.

You may not think they're brilliant, but calling them a Championship Team is a little disrespectful. Are all of the other teams above League 1 level?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Coming into the tournament, nobody thought England had a great squad. Not even us English. A group of youngsters, some talent here and there, but never going to make a huge mark on the competition. The objective was to get out of the group and show some progression, to leave us in a better position for the Euros and the World Cup. Doing well in Russia was a bonus.

Colombia are a decent side - they finished ahead of Chile in the qualifiers and played some good football in the group stages. Sweden are a decent side - they knocked out Germany, Italy and Holland. Beating both of them with our inexperience team in knockout football games is not "relatively easy". It's convenient to say that after they've won.

Sweden didn't knock out Germany, where is this coming from ? Germany had the last game on their hands.

Redo91

I think it’s impossible to ignore the route England have had to the semi final as it is the main reason they have been able to get this far. Pre-tournament the expectation was reaching the QF and then getting knocked out on the assumption that England would be playing a top team. I think Sweden are very underrated but let’s be honest you would expect to play a better team at the QF stage. Personally I had expected Colombia to win but once I saw James was ruled out I made England slight favorites.

For those bringing up the routes Germany and Italy had to their finals I don’t think they are comparable. Firstly that German team was expected to go far in the competition regardless of the draw. Of course it made it easier for them to progress but plenty of people were backing them. Therefore it was not purely down to their draw that they reached the final. As for Italy they had a much harder semi-final than England face.

Speaking of Croatia I would make them slight favourites although back to back extra time periods could be an issue. I expect it to be tight but I do think Croatia’s midfield up against England’s (aka Jordan Henderson) could be fatal to England’s chances.

So basically my point is it is impossible to ignore England’s path to the semi final given the quality of teams they have had to face when it is the main reason they have gone this far. I know it is not the teams fault but it’s delusional to suggest it isn’t the main reason for their progression to this point.

Judas

Open to offers
I can't even begin to care or argue about how easy we've had it, this has been the most fun I've had watching football in a very very long time. That's what matters.

I do think it's funny how the narrative has changed on each team we've faced after we've beaten them though, but that's football fans in general isn't it.

Judas

Open to offers
So basically my point is it is impossible to ignore England’s path to the semi final given the quality of teams they have had to face when it is the main reason they have gone this far. I know it is not the teams fault but it’s delusional to suggest it isn’t the main reason for their progression to this point.
How can you say it's the main reason? No one has a bloody clue how this team would have done against much better opposition, we could be still in the semifinal after beating Brazil, Spain or Germany, it's pure speculation. We've simply done what every other team in the semis has done, beat what's in front of us.

We'll find out on Wednesday vs Croatia, but something tells me, if we beat them, they'll suddenly be a pub team too.

SER19

Also, I've seen you refer to Sweden as a Championship team.

Championship teams don't beat Italy and Holland in the qualifiers, top a group which included Germany, and also beat Mexico, South Korea and Denmark.

You may not think they're brilliant, but calling them a Championship Team is a little disrespectful. Are all of the other teams above League 1 level?
I personally disagree and although sweden over achieved would expect England to beat this sweden side 9 times out of ten. They were organised and well drilled and its a credit to them that they made the quarters but the enormous gap between the teams was shown with the ease at which england beat them in second gear.

Regards the championship team comment i would stand by it and not see it as disrespectful. Thats the level most of their team would make it to should they play in England, lets face it seb larsson has been struggling at Sunderland and hull in recent years before moving back to a weak domestic league. Contrary to the narrative and admittedly low international experience englands team is made up of players from the premier leagues top clubs, extremely expensive players and the likes of Kane who top clubs outside of England have been linked with. In my example, it was very much a prenier league side versus a championship side and it showed.

99withaflake

Sweden didn't knock out Germany, where is this coming from ? Germany had the last game on their hands.
Sweden were in a group with Germany. From the games played in that group, the results and the final standings, Sweden progressed and Germany didn't. Sweden took a qualification spot that Germany were unable to take themselves. Sweden were better during the group stage than Germany. Germany were eliminated from that group because two teams were better than them over the games played - one of these teams were Sweden.

99withaflake

I personally disagree and although sweden over achieved would expect England to beat this sweden side 9 times out of ten. They were organised and well drilled and its a credit to them that they made the quarters but the enormous gap between the teams was shown with the ease at which england beat them in second gear.

Regards the championship team comment i would stand by it and not see it as disrespectful. Thats the level most of their team would make it to should they play in England, lets face it seb larsson has been struggling at Sunderland and hull in recent years before moving back to a weak domestic league. Contrary to the narrative and admittedly low international experience englands team is made up of players from the premier leagues top clubs, extremely expensive players and the likes of Kane who top clubs outside of England have been linked with. In my example, it was very much a prenier league side versus a championship side and it showed.
Fair enough. We'll have to agree to disagree. I think Sweden are better than a Championship side. Nice debating with you. I need to drive home now :)

the_irish123

Sweden were in a group with Germany. From the games played in that group, the results and the final standings, Sweden progressed and Germany didn't. Sweden took a qualification spot that Germany were unable to take themselves. Sweden were better during the group stage than Germany. Germany were eliminated from that group because two teams were better than them over the games played - one of these teams were Sweden.
Yes, therefore Engalnd vs Sweden is a much tougher match than England vs Germany, and England's path to semi finals is extremely difficult.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Right, I think the best way to explain my frustrations is this:

England have beaten Colombia and Sweden so far in the knockouts, and now face Croatia in the semi-final. The line from detractors is that England could get to the final without having to beat a "top" team. I'm not sure anyone will disagree with that.

My issue is what we're defining as "top" teams. We're using "top" to mean the historically strong nations, which ignores the present strength of the other teams in the tournament. The list of teams England should apparently count themselves lucky to have avoided is consistently the same eight; Argentina, Brazil, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, and Spain.

By repeatedly mentioning these teams above the rest, it seems that the prevailing attitude is that England would have been handily dispatched by the above, but should be easily beating anyone else. The reactions to the Colombia and Sweden victories is evidence of this. The crux of the issue is that the traditional "top" teams are not always the strongest eight, and in fact, a number of them can actually be incredibly weak when compared to their reputations, and when compared to the teams who have stepped up in their place. The message from this is that England couldn't beat these sides, which for some, in their current state, is simply wrong.

This is a rundown of the "top" teams that England should be counting themselves lucky to have avoided:

Argentina only qualified for this World Cup in the final round of fixtures. They were very close to not even being in Russia at all. In qualifying, they lost to Ecuador, Paraguay, and Bolivia, and drew with Paraguay, Venezuela twice, and Peru twice, as well as being beaten 3-0 by Brazil. At the tournament, they drew with Iceland, and were beaten 3-0 by the same Croatia side England now have to face in their semi-final. They ultimately finished second in their group, behind group winners Croatia, and were then eliminated by France, one of the remaining semi-finalists.

Brazil qualified very comfortably, with the only real blemishes being a loss to Chile, and draws with Bolivia and Paraguay. They were also reasonably comfortable in the group stage with perhaps something of a stuttering start after drawing with Switzerland and requiring stoppage time goals to beat Costa Rica, but ultimately topped the group. A fairly comfortable first knockout tie against Mexico was followed by elimination at the hands of Belgium, another of the remaining semi-finalists.

France also qualified comfortably, the only notes being draws with Luxembourg and Belarus, and most notably, losing to Sweden. France also had something of an unconvincing start in the group stage, but ultimately beat Australia and Peru to top their group. They beat Argentina in the first knockout round, and Uruguay in the quarter-final, and are now perhaps the favourites to win the tournament.

Germany qualified with a 100% record, but have had a torrid tournament. They lost to both Mexico and South Korea, and their group was topped by Sweden, with Germany finishing bottom.

Italy failed to qualify. They finished second in a group topped by Spain, with no real blemishes other than a draw with Macedonia, but were then eliminated in the play-off by Sweden, not managing a single goal over the two legs.

Netherlands also failed to qualify (after finishing fourth in their Euro 2016 qualifying group and failing to qualify for that too). They finished third in their group, behind Sweden in second.

Portugal qualified comfortably, but were then very unconvincing in the group stage of the tournament, drawing with Iran and beating Morocco by just a single goal, finishing second in their group, before being eliminated by Uruguay in the first knockout round.

Spain also qualified comfortably, but were also unconvincing in the group stage, drawing with Morocco and only beating Iran by a single goal. They topped the group, but were eliminated by Russia in the first knockout round after being taken to penalties.

The idea that England's potential route to the final would somehow have been more difficult had they faced Netherlands, Italy or Germany in the quarter-final, to face Argentina or Spain in the semi-final is just bizarre, because the team England faced in the quarter-final was directly involved in Netherlands, Italy and Germany not being there, and the team they're facing in the semi-final beat Argentina 3-0 in the group stage, and just eliminated the team that knocked Spain out in the quarter-final. It's not just an insult to England, it's an insult to the other teams that have proven themselves better than the likes of Spain, Portugal, Italy, Netherlands and Argentina to be writing them off as "easy passage."
Good post.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Tunisia are the highest ranked team in Africa.

Colombia finished ahead of Chile (current Copa America champions) in the South American qualification group.

Sweden knocked out Germany, Italy and the Netherlands.

Croatia have just beaten the team that knocked out Spain.

England's route to the final has been full of teams with amazing records. It's disrespectful to ignore that.

Focusing on reputations rather than results is why England are so underrated in the first place. We have Jesse Lingard rather than Lionel Messi. But you know what? Jesse Lingard is actually doing the business.

Big names be damned.
It's true Sweden topped a group with Germany but I don't think you can say they personally knocked them out. The rest of the post is quality; though England on paper have had a lower key route to the final than they could ever have hoped for that's not to say it hasn't been a challenge. These so-called easier teams didn't get parachuted in on some kind of whim, they were there on merit having overcome big teams or the conquerors of big teams.

We could have had Colombia, Germany, Spain, France/Belgium, which looks absolutely brutal. We didn't because Germany and Spain weren't up to it on this occasion. That isn't our fault.

99withaflake

Yes, therefore Engalnd vs Sweden is a much tougher match than England vs Germany, and England's path to semi finals is extremely difficult.

The name or history of an opponent is not what makes them difficult to beat. It's their performance level on the pitch. Germany did not perform well, hence they were knocked out. If Germany played well enough to reach the last 8, then yes it may be a difficult match, but they're didn't perform well, did they?

Still, let's make up a complete different scenario in which Germany played well enough to face England in a Quarter Final match. Yes, that would be a difficult match in this made up scenario.

Playing Germany in the last 8, at the level they showed in the group stages (which wouldn't happen because they wouldn't make it through), would not be as difficult as games against the teams that showed a higher level during the groups matches. Another make up scenario of course.

Castia

We can only play who get through it’s not our fault. If Spain and Germany didn’t bomb out they’d be on our side of the table.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
S.Korea was the one who properly knocked out Germany and not Sweden. In the end it wasn't even between Sweden and Germany but more Mexico and Germany

Djemba-Djemba

It's brilliant we ended up on the easier side of the draw.

After years of Argentina or Germany in the first knockout round or getting a group with Italy and Uruguay it's about time we had a bit of luck with the route.

Camilo

It's a straightforward run to the final - nobody reasonable would deny that. Colombia, Sweden, Croatia, World Cup Final - it can't get much simpler. Colombia were the only real threat, and they just aren't very good. Sweden and Croatia combined barely make up the population of London.

It's sad people are already trying to claim that this hasn't been an easy run. It has been, but you've still got to win it. There will never be a better chance.