The enigma that is Michael Laudrup

Demyanenko_square_jaw

In retrospect Brian maybe should have stayed at Bayern, he was playing really well there until a knee injury.

tbh the '80s and '90s in general weren't the easiest to excel in for the more direct, goal scoring minded wide player, not enough teams were building around the 4-3-3 as a base.As far as top club teams go, he would have had more success stylistically at Barca or Ajax in his era imo, at a lower level in scotland he at least had a team willing to build around him. tactically feel he would have had a better chance at having a great club career during more recent times, especially after Barca making the front 3 so trendy again. Kanchelskis is another wide player from that era i think would flourish in more recent football.

Reactions: Invictus

Parry Gallister

Perhaps Brian Laudrup, his brother, is a bigger enigma. Some say he was more talented than Michael, but he couldn't do it at top club level. How do you compare them ?
Michael is maybe my favourite all time player, beautiful football, really graceful - Scholes like vision and passing but able to beat players easily without needing athleticism, the same sort of way Messi just glides through people but not with the same dwarfish scuttle. Brian was different, still good, more explosive, maybe more of united style player. Didn't play at the same level really though.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
None of those were anywhere near Laudrup's level.
Where did I mentioned that?
Zlatan is the only one that compares, excluding 50s footballers no one here have seen play anyway.
Michael was better than Zlatan, not even a debate regarding that.

Only mentioned Brolin and his generation because the period between 1990 and 1994 he was a good player to watch at Parma, thought his main problem was injuries, but I see his downfall was related with something else.

Not to mention in 1994 Sweden had a strong generation, even Henrik Larsson was already at the bench in the WC, he played for Feyenoord at the time.

Unfortunately for Zlatan he didn't had players from the same quality playing for the NT.

Still have the same opinion, that Swedish team was underrated, obviously not so spectacular as the Danish team from the 80's, even if their performance at the WC was better.

EkkoFisk7

He was a fantistic footballer, I'll never forget how good him Romario and Stoichkov were together. I wonder what the outcome would have been with him in the Danish squad in the 92 Euros.
Seems to me they did ok without him....

Denis79

Seems to me they did ok without him....
Yeah, I meant the other way. He was easily the best Danish player at the time maybe even ever, but he never seemed to click in the national team, imo the Danish national team was worse with him in it, maybe because they tried to build the team around him and failed.

Redderp

Yeah, I meant the other way. He was easily the best Danish player at the time maybe even ever, but he never seemed to click in the national team, imo the Danish national team was worse with him in it, maybe because they tried to build the team around him and failed.
That’s not even close to being true. 92 was a once in a lifetime fairytale, like Leicesters PL winning season. We played the same kind of football as Leicester. Very defensive counterattacking football, it’s the reason why both Laudrup brothers didn’t want to play for the national team. Brian changed his mind and decided to go, but Michael didn’t. Michael was actually much more mentally strong than people think and he held fast to his principles. It’s the same reason why he decided to not sign with Liverpool because they had agreed on a contract but Liverpool wanted to add another year. Stuff like that does not sit well with Laudrup. Brian was actually the one who was much more emotional. He needed perfect mental conditions to perform. He felt home in Glasgow and with the national team, thats why he could perform to his absolute best.

Anyway back to Michael Laudrup who definitely clicked with the national team and the national team played much better with Laudrup. The 86 team was amazing and probably the best playing team Denmark has ever had. Denmarks best ever World Cup result was a close quarter final loss to Brazil in 1998 with both Laudrup brothers.

I have no idea if you are Danish, but you are completely wrong about Michael Laudrup. He was amazing for the national team and we played much better with him.

Denis79

That’s not even close to being true. 92 was a once in a lifetime fairytale, like Leicesters PL winning season. We played the same kind of football as Leicester. Very defensive counterattacking football, it’s the reason why both Laudrup brothers didn’t want to play for the national team. Brian changed his mind and decided to go, but Michael didn’t. Michael was actually much more mentally strong than people think and he held fast to his principles. It’s the same reason why he decided to not sign with Liverpool because they had agreed on a contract but Liverpool wanted to add another year. Stuff like that does not sit well with Laudrup. Brian was actually the one who was much more emotional. He needed perfect mental conditions to perform. He felt home in Glasgow and with the national team, thats why he could perform to his absolute best.

Anyway back to Michael Laudrup who definitely clicked with the national team and the national team played much better with Laudrup. The 86 team was amazing and probably the best playing team Denmark has ever had. Denmarks best ever World Cup result was a close quarter final loss to Brazil in 1998 with both Laudrup brothers.

I have no idea if you are Danish, but you are completely wrong about Michael Laudrup. He was amazing for the national team and we played much better with him.
I was too young to appriciate the Danish team in the 80's, so my opinion was based on the euros 92 and after maybe that's why my memory of the Danish team with and without Michael is wrong it seems.

In 98 I don't remember being that impressed by Laudrup but it wouldn't be fair to judge his impact in the national team in that tournament since he would have been in his last years of football around then, Brian was the better brother that tournament. My memory is even that the Danish team was pretty bad in the group stage but had a fantastic game vs Nigeria in the knock-outs? and later lost to Brazil? Or am I remembering wrong?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
but he never seemed to click in the national team
I am not Danish and I know that simply isn't true, with 19 years old Michael Laudrup scored 2 goals in 1983 vs France in a friendly at Copenhagen, a team who would be European Champion in 1984.

And he played alongside players like Soren Lerby, Morten Olsen, Simonsen, Elkjaer, Arnesen, a much richer generation of Danish players than the one who played in the 90's, probably between 82 and 86 France, Denmark and the Soviet Union were the most atractive NT's to watch in Europe.

You don't have to know this, but actualy I watched recently some matches of that Danish team and probably they were the best Danish team ever, even if it was the 92 team who won the Euros, or the 98 team who reached the quarters.

It happens, the Portugal NT of 2000 was way better than the team from 2016, the only difference was that one team won and the other didn't.

No way Michael Laudrup didn't performed for Denmark, or was mentally weak, that is just a football myth, the only laughable thing is Michael won 2 times the Danish player of the year while Brian won 4.

Stats and awards are just that, numbers, reality is Michael was the best Danish player ever, and that generation of the 80's was the best they had.

Hughie77

:lol: They're in the Prem not the Welsh amateur leagues
What are you on?..obviously haven' got a clue . Under him they had best season in there history, since he left been up and down in respects to performances on and off the pitch...there more than a few clubs in the world mind ?..JSU

Santos J

What are you on?..obviously haven' got a clue . Under him they had best season in there history, since he left been up and down in respects to performances on and off the pitch...there more than a few clubs in the world mind ?..JSU
You said 'he made and bought players that will never be seen there again' as if he brought in some players way above their level which he didn't. Obviously they were good under him, I didn't claim otherwise.

Hughie77

You said 'he made and bought players that will never be seen there again' as if he brought in some players way above their level which he didn't. Obviously they were good under him, I didn't claim otherwise.
No he may not have but the players since are below the level he had..ie Michy who for a million quid scored against every top prem side.and finished through injury not long ago..Michy who was only one That was on the radar of top clubs? Others were called up to there national sides all because the way he coached them.. but I bow to your superior knowlege on the level of players?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
No he may not have but the players since are below the level he had..ie Michy who for a million quid scored against every top prem side.and finished through injury not long ago..Michy who was only one That was on the radar of top clubs? Others were called up to there national sides all because the way he coached them.. but I bow to your superior knowlege on the level of players?
You're talking about Michu right?

ToshLines

Supports
Rangers FC
Michael might be the best final-ball passer in the history of the game. Brian had few weaknesses as a roaming forward but he didn't have that in his locker.
Nobody I have ever seen, not Maradona, not Zico, not Platini, not Better, not Cruyff could pass the ball like Michael, but your memory must be getting fuzzy if you're a Rangers fan who doesn't think Brian had top class final-ball passing in his locker.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
I am not Danish and I know that simply isn't true, with 19 years old Michael Laudrup scored 2 goals in 1983 vs France in a friendly at Copenhagen, a team who would be European Champion in 1984.

And he played alongside players like Soren Lerby, Morten Olsen, Simonsen, Elkjaer, Arnesen, a much richer generation of Danish players than the one who played in the 90's, probably between 82 and 86 France, Denmark and the Soviet Union were the most atractive NT's to watch in Europe.

You don't have to know this, but actualy I watched recently some matches of that Danish team and probably they were the best Danish team ever, even if it was the 92 team who won the Euros, or the 98 team who reached the quarters.

It happens, the Portugal NT of 2000 was way better than the team from 2016, the only difference was that one team won and the other didn't.

No way Michael Laudrup didn't performed for Denmark, or was mentally weak, that is just a football myth, the only laughable thing is Michael won 2 times the Danish player of the year while Brian won 4.

Stats and awards are just that, numbers, reality is Michael was the best Danish player ever, and that generation of the 80's was the best they had.
Agree with everything here.

That team from the 80's was our greatest team ever! Any dane, who is old enough, will tell you that. And any dane who saw Laudrup play will tell you, that he was our greatest player ever. They were so exciting to watch. Laudrup wasn't THE star of the team in '82-'86. He was a star among stars, at least in my view. A good number of the players were among the best players in the best clubs in
Europe at the time, winning national leagues and cups in Europe.

Laudrups international debut was on his 18th birthday in '82, where he scored, and his final match was the quarters in the WC '98. So he spanned both decades divided by a couple of years when he quit the team from ' 90 - '93. Oh man.. I was so gutted, when he quit..

From the late 80's and when he came back, there was the occasional critics who couldn't understand, why Laudrup performed at such a high level in his clubs, and sometimes failed to do so on the national team. Denmark was horrible at the EC in '88, didn't qualify for WC '90, didn't qualify for EC '92, even though they later was included and won it, and didn't qualify for WC '94.

The truth is, that when our golden generation of the 80's retired, there was a huge drop in the quality of the players, and Laudrup was so clearly above them all, that he was expected to carry the team. Failing to do so he left and came back a few years later, ready to lead the team, which he did.

Michael Laudrup should at least have won 7 or 8 player of the year awards in Denmark, and he should have had a ballon d'or during his prime in Spain imo.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Nobody I have ever seen, not Maradona, not Zico, not Platini, not Better, not Cruyff could pass the ball like Michael, but your memory must be getting fuzzy if you're a Rangers fan who doesn't think Brian had top class final-ball passing in his locker.
Brian could do everything well and his passing was, as you say, top class - he was superb at carving open a defence with a ball in behind the back line from a wide area. But obviously the clearest difference between him and Michael was their final ball - top notch v best of all time.

Katalinski

One of my favorite player to ever play the game. A true artist of the game
He shows similar character features as some great artists. Moody, self centered, problems with authority, unpredictable, couldn't stand criticism. Also, he was a gentleman, real footballing nobility. It was beneath him to beat oppo players and tackles them hard. Maldini was like that too. I read Savićević's quotes about him doing unbelievable things in training, but he was professional, not an artist, and played where the managers wanted him - in backline. Laudrup would just fecked out of there. He was like our Best, nobody is talking about Georgie except our fans.
And to finish with an anecdote of an artist. JJ Cale's manager came to him once: Look JJ, it's been long time you recorded the album. We should make a new one. JJ: Why? What the feck is wrong with the last one?

Reactions: Fortitude

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He shows similar character features as some great artists. Moody, self centered, problems with authority, unpredictable, couldn't stand criticism. Also, he was a gentleman, real footballing nobility. It was beneath him to beat oppo players and tackles them hard. Maldini was like that too. I read Savićević's quotes about him doing unbelievable things in training, but he was professional, not an artist, and played where the managers wanted him - in backline. Laudrup would just fecked out of there. He was like our Best, nobody is talking about Georgie except our fans.
And to finish with an anecdote of an artist. JJ Cale's manager came to him once: Look JJ, it's been long time you recorded the album. We should make a new one. JJ: Why? What the feck is wrong with the last one?
You really grasped his character very well. An artist with the great and bad traits. I can easily get lost in his youtube compilations.
ps: Savicevic was also a fecking great player. Unbelievable dribbling ability with that left foot.

Charles Miller

I watched a documentary about that great Cruijff's Barcelona and Jorge Valdano was saying that Laudrup would not be understood these days when people analyse football reading stats; because Laudrup would try to make things happen all the time then his stats of passing were bad. In the other hand he was able to provide key passes many times every game.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
That team from the 80's was our greatest team ever!
Absolutely.
A good number of the players were among the best players in the best clubs in
Europe at the time, winning national leagues and cups in Europe.
Morten Olsen had won in 1983 the UEFA Cup vs Benfica, Elkjaer won Serie A with Verona in 1985, Simonsen played in Barcelona until 1982, before that he won the Ballon d'or in 1977 when he played at Gladbach.

So good was the overall quality of Danish players at the time you just need to know Simonsen and Elkjaer between them finished 4 times in the top 3 of Ballon D'or, the only regretable fact was Laudrup never won, finished in 5th in 1993, while Schmeichel was 5th in 1992.

Not to mention Lerby, Arnesen or even Ivan Nielsen, all of them played in top leagues and clubs at the time, the only thing that generation missed was Schmeichel at the time, or the bad luck when Simonsen broke his leg.

So you are right, as good as Michael was at the time, he probably only was considered their best player at Mexico 1986, before that he wasn't even the main star.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Absolutely.
Morten Olsen had won in 1983 the UEFA Cup vs Benfica, Elkjaer won Serie A with Verona in 1985, Simonsen played in Barcelona until 1982, before that he won the Ballon d'or in 1977 when he played at Gladbach.

So good was the overall quality of Danish players at the time you just need to know Simonsen and Elkjaer between them finished 4 times in the top 3 of Ballon D'or, the only regretable fact was Laudrup never won, finished in 5th in 1993, while Schmeichel was 5th in 1992.

Not to mention Lerby, Arnesen or even Ivan Nielsen, all of them played in top leagues and clubs at the time, the only thing that generation missed was Schmeichel at the time, or the bad luck when Simonsen broke his leg.

So you are right, as good as Michael was at the time, he probably only was considered their best player at Mexico 1986, before that he wasn't even the main star.
Loved the 80s Danish team - easily the most entertaining side in the international game in the middle of the decade. One of the best matches I've ever seen was their World Cup qualifier with the Soviet Union in 1985. The pace of the game would stand out even in the current era and the reckless abandon and total commitment to attacking football has always been rare in international football. Ultimately caught them out against Spain the following summer, but still a far more memorable side than most of the teams that went further in that competition.

On the bolded point, funny thing in 1992 was Schmeichel was 5th, Brian 6th and Michael 7th - despite giving the big tournament a miss.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Loved the 80s Danish team - easily the most entertaining side in the international game in the middle of the decade.
Its my favourite NT from that era, but we have to put more 2 in the section of atractive football from that era in Europe.

France between 1982 to 1986, the trio Platini - Tigana or Giresse was something else, also the Soviet team between lets say 1984 to 1988, basically Lobanovsky Kiev machine who destroyed Atletico in 1986.

Maybe some Russians liked more the Soviet team inspired by Beskov mixed with some Spartak players, who qualified to Spain 1982

Since I am talking about that, a good read this one. https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/...e-soviet-union-and-pure-footballing-geometry/Enjoy, but even their game against France in 1984 was great level, or their victory at Wembley was a turning point.

Actually Euro 1984 probably had the most exciting semifinal between France vs Portugal, a match where in the 90 minutes the French could have won 5:0 if it wasn't the crazy keeper Bento, not to mention Portugal eliminated Lobanovsky Soviet Union in the qualifiers, being totally destroyed in the Soviet Union where they lost 5:0, where the excuse of the day for the defeat was "there was nothing to eat in the Soviet Union".

Great core of Spartak Moscow players tbh.

After that they lost 1:0 in Lisbon, the Soviets were robbed with a faked penalty a la Chalana, actually they always had reasons to complain about the referees tbf.
On the bolded point, funny thing in 1992 was Schmeichel was 5th, Brian 6th and Michael 7th - despite giving the big tournament a miss.
Simple reason, Michael won the Champions League at Wembley.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

a whole hour just dedicated to his passing. Remarkable how he just keeps spotting runs and the various ways he finds of executing these passes.. complete range and ambidextrous too (which is what puts him a tier above someone say Iniesta who is my favourite alongside Messi in the current crop of players)

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

a whole hour just dedicated to his passing. Remarkable how he just keeps spotting runs and the various ways he finds of executing these passes.. complete range and ambidextrous too (which is what puts him a tier above someone say Iniesta who is my favourite alongside Messi in the current crop of players)
Had the chance to see him live at the old Alvalade stadium when he played for Valdano Real Madrid. By far their best player, must be said in a pre Bosman Madrid, where the only 2 foreign players was him and Zamorano, basically a post Quinta del Buitre team. Not even needed to say he scored the goal who eliminated us at the time.

Halds

Supports
Liverpool FC
Absolutely.

You're right about missing Schmeichel.. Keeper was a weak spot in 80's. He would have done wonders in that team.

Simonsen had just scored in the Cupwinners Cup final for Barcs, before he was pushed out by Maradona. And Lerby was captain in Bayern Munich, Molby was winning leagues in England, Jesper Olsen was in Man United.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
You're right about missing Schmeichel.. Keeper was a weak spot in 80's. He would have done wonders in that team.

Simonsen had just scored in the Cupwinners Cup final for Barcs, before he was pushed out by Maradona. And Lerby was captain in Bayern Munich, Molby was winning leagues in England, Jesper Olsen was in Man United.
Strange fact Molby was excelent for Liverpool but struggled to find a spot in the first 11, tells much about the quality they had.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Didn't want to create a new thread just for Brian Laudrup. Was just reading up on him as him and Michael were my national football idols growing up, and my dream was wanting them playing together at Man Utd. Apparently Fergie called Brian up to sign him in 98 just 1 day after he had agreed to sign for Chelsea. As good as he was, I don't know where he would play in that 98-99 side as his favourite position as right wing where we had Beckham.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Didn't want to create a new thread just for Brian Laudrup. Was just reading up on him as him and Michael were my national football idols growing up, and my dream was wanting them playing together at Man Utd. Apparently Fergie called Brian up to sign him in 98 just 1 day after he had agreed to sign for Chelsea. As good as he was, I don't know where he would play in that 98-99 side as his favourite position as right wing where we had Beckham.
Brian? He'd have been on the bench. Michael on the other hand would perhaps have been the ever best player to play in England, had he sampled that. But like we see with the quotes - mentality wasn't there.

RUCK4444

Brian? He'd have been on the bench. Michael on the other hand would perhaps have been the ever best player to play in England, had he sampled that. But like we see with the quotes - mentality wasn't there.
Sounds an incredibly frustrating player/character.

I hear nothing but extreme praise from elders who saw him, but he doesn’t have any lasting legacy no doubt because of his lack of mentality.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The midfield was fairly set by that point. I don’t think there was much value in him jostling with Beckham on the wing as a pure midfield gig wouldn’t suit his more attacking strengths. But he’d have been the first forward on the team sheet. He’d have been devastating in a free-roaming role, popping up on both flanks and creating overloads with Giggs and Beckham. And although he was at the tail end of his career, if you look at his performances at the 1998 World Cup, United could have got a season or two of sheer quality out of him.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Sounds an incredibly frustrating player/character.

I hear nothing but extreme praise from elders who saw him, but he doesn’t have any lasting legacy no doubt because of his lack of mentality.
Michael does have a lasting legacy.

Best Foreign Player in Spanish Football in the last 25 years: 1974–1999

And he's rated as one the finest playmakers of all time and probably the best final third passer of all time. If he was from a greater footballing nation, he probably would have received more attention than he did.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Didn't both brothers retire from international football together immediately after World Cup '98?

A image of a prolonged hug between the two after the Brazil game is etched in memory for some reason.