The Euro Draft - Final - Joga Bonito vs Team EAP

Judged on the Euro performances, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
All players shall be judged only on their performances at the tournaments (From 1927 to 1960 the CEICs, from 1960 to 2012 the Euros). Please take this into account before voting. You can read up on the theme by clicking here.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Team Joga Bonito

Key Tactical Changes

Addition of Brehme

Brehme was typically German in that blond, pigeon-chested, cheating, arrogant way endemic throughout their team during the ‘80’s and ‘90’s. He was also a bit good. A marauding full-back following the tradition of Paul Brietner and Manny Kaltz before him he was just as effective going forward as he was callous going back. Brehme was as complete as they come. Shooting, passing, crossing, set pieces, tactical intelligence, tackling, defending and he was literally the most two footed player I've ever seen.

An extremely multi-facted genius, who could hurt you in several ways. Brehme possessed a stunning array of skills that was to the envy of many a winger - he could go on the outside and deliver delicious crosses, he could cut inside in equally deadly measure to unleash a rocket and more importantly his build-up and a passing range (probably the best from a FB that I've ever seen) from deep was simply phenomenal. A cerebral player whose on the ball talents and intelligence is unrivalled in the FB position.

Trivia - He's one of the 5 full backs ever to finish in a Ballon d'Or top 3 and he also won the Serie A POTY, in a league featuring Maldini, Baresi, Gullit, Matthäus, Rijkaard, and Van Basten as a LB for christ sake!

Just watch it. The ridiculous bugger had it all. Can hardly think of such an well rounded threat at FB and someone who was both imposing and cultured in equal measures, bar Facchetti ofc.

An example of his podiatric versatility, was the contrast of two penalties taken at two different World Cups. One was against hosts Mexico in ’86 which was hit with a powerful left foot drive. Meanwhile, with the other he went and damn well won the whole thing at Italia ’90 with a guided right foot pass into the bottom corner of the net in the dying minutes of the game. The left for power, the right for accuracy, both for devastation. As a result he would find himself flying down one flank one game and the other the next.

Brehme was one of Germany's best players in the three consecutive Euros from '84 to '92, finishing in 2 team of the tournaments. He captained Germany to the final of Euro 1992, where they succumbed to Schmeichel's heroics.

Defensive Line : Normal-Slightly pushed up

Style of Play :

Offensive Phase

Elkenigge making decoy runs out wide, dragging defenders away, opening up space for Platini who makes his trademark run forward, with Suarez looking to take up support playmaking duties if needed.

As I will elaborate below, it doesn't mean Elkenigge's sole job is making space for Platini nor are they just making harmless tactical decoy runs. They can make incisive runs into the box before/after their forays out wide - with Platini and Suárez being the glorious supply line - to add an element of unpredictability to my set-up.

Something like this for example

The dual threat of the twin-pronged Elkenigge and the magical Platini will be a mouth watering blend, capable of both unstoppable tactical combinations and sheer individual brilliance. Bluntly put, it will be hard to find a more complementary pair for Platini here - a terrific duo of electric forwards who aren't just compatible with Platini, but will actually bring out the best in him without, crucially, any drop in individual quality.

They are up against a top-notch defensive pairing which won't be easy to breach on on 1v1 battles alone. This here will highlight the multi-faceted nature of Elkenigge's functionality - they are brilliant at manipulating space and could drop into the flanks to look for openings and make decoy runs out wide for Platini and Suárez to capitalise on the resultant space. In saying that, even Blanc-Nesta will find it hard to cope with Elkenigge who are gorging on a quality, and more importantly, steady stream of supply from Platini, Suárez, Brehme and Maldini.

Do not make the mistake of downplaying Elkenigge as mere 'tactical pawns' here. Unlike a few of Platini's club/international forwards, who lost their threat on the ball after their tactical errand of making space for Platini by moving out wide/making decoy runs had been completed (almost as if to say - there I've done my bit, now it's up to you (Platini)), Elkenigge are equally deadly out wide and more so in the case of Rummenigge. Meaning, Elkenigge aren't just sheer tactical components who are just making space for Platini but are individual threats themselves who pose a threat on their runs and aren't impotent in the secondary phases.

Their effectiveness doesn't become diminish or become redundant in any phase of that tactical manoeuvre. That is the beauty and synergy of this symbiotic partnership, Platini-Elkenigge will both thrive off each other, without either reducing each other to a bit-part role, solely designed in bringing the best out of the other component.

Suárez can push up further forward for some insane link-up play with Platini, with the impenetrable barrier of Pluskal-Desailly protecting the back-line.

(Suárez's intelligent gameplay and forward incursions, provide full freedom for Platini to roam around and take command in midfield, especially fulfilling his penchant for dropping back and getting on the ball.)

Another quintessential feature of the offensive dimension of my game, would be the contribution of Suárez here - who will prove to be paramount in elevating Platini's influence, all whilst posing a major threat on the ball himself - with his mazy runs and rapier like through balls. A tactically astute player, the CM-AM version of Luisito will cherish playing alongside a fellow technical genius in Platini. Be it linking up with Platini higher up the pitch - safe in the knowledge that there is the barricade of Pluskal-Desailly protecting the backline - or making a forward incursion with Platini dropping back to cause chaos and confusion in the opposition's defense, Suárez is an all-round threat.

Naturally this tactical synchrony allows both Platini and Suárez full freedom of expression tactically, without particularly limiting their influence in certain phases/areas of the pitch, thereby providing them the ideal platforms to shine. Once again, as with Elkenigge, do not brush off Suárez's forward forays as just a trivial tactical manoeuvre, designed in getting the best out of Platini - this is THE star player of Euro 1964 Suárez (who assisted 2 goals and played a crucial part in the other of the 3 goals that Spain scored in the semis and final whilst also finishing 2nd in the Ballon d'Or) that we are talking about here.

Defensive Phase

-Elkenigge drift onto the flanks off the ball to take up the space vacated by FBs (esp Breitner) to pose a direct outball option and a speedy and direct counter threat.

-Midfield and defense remain fairly compact and tight off the ball with Pluskal dealing with Czechoslovakian teammate Masopust's slaloms and Desailly 'sweeping' up anything that leaks through. Suárez is well-known for his defensive nous and work rate and will keep tabs on any potential runs from Matthäus on his side

-Desailly's role is important here as a DM-CB who will patrol the area in front of defense and drop back when required. More in detail later.

-Maldini tucks in when required and particularly keeps a keen eye on Gullit's occasional forays into the right hand channel.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
It's a bird. It's a plane. No it's Elkenigge

As stated above, another key facet of my off-the ball game, would include Elkenigge dropping into the flanks to pose a direct and rapid counter attacking threat whilst also functioning as an immediate out-ball. Naturally, with an extremely forward oriented WB in Breitner, there will be space left behind on the right flank for Rummenigge to exploit. Even Durkovic, will have to do his fair share of forward runs in an extremely narrow set-up which bodes well for Elkjaer dropping onto the left flank/channel. This will inevitably create openings on the flanks off the ball, which can be seized upon on a quick transition/counter-attack. Not many are better suited to executing this stratagem, than the electric Elkenigge who are absolutely rapid whilst possessing an incisive threat from the channels/flanks.

Why I'd believe I have the edge

1) EAP's team' inability to stretch my defense

EAP has assembled a fine team but it is one that is severely lacking in width. which plays right into my hands as it is up against a compact and rock solid central defensive core of Moore-Bergomi-Desailly-Pluskal with Maldini capable of tucking in when required.

In a narrow system, wing-backs and certain forwards drifting wide to provide conventional width is absolutely critical. EAP couldn't have a more ill-suited wing back in Breitner - a right footed LB who loved cutting inside onto his right foot and rarely, if ever, went on the outside to provide width with runs down the flank and deliveries from out wide. Moreover, he is up against Brehme here with zero support out wide. He simply can't fulfil the one requirement that he has in this match, that is providing width.

Gullit is good in wider areas but once again is hardly someone who provided width and/or service from out wide like say a Nedved/Boniek/Rummenigge drifting wide from central areas do. Durkovic is decent but isn't the quality required to fulfil such an exacting tactical role in EAP's team, also keep in mind that he is squaring up against Paolo Maldini.

This means his attack is great but rather predictable and incapable of stretching my defense here, to the extent required to breach it. As such I'd expect my defense to stay compact and deal with EAP's predominantly central attack.

This is in direct contrast to my team which features central threats such as Elkenigge, Platini and Suárez in combination with great wide players in Brehme-Maldini, all in addition to Elkenigge providing width by drifting out wide as well. I'd rate the chances of my attack stretching and breaching his defense significantly more than his attack getting one over me.

2) Desailly

I'd say 'The Rock' is the defensive jewel of my team, even when considering the more illustrious names such as Bergomi, Maldini, Moore and Brehme that he is in the company of. Desailly is simply invaluable and I expect him to play the most consequential defensive role in my team - a DM-CB who would be pivotal in dealing with the primarily central threat of the opposing team. Be it nullifying runners from deep (primarily Masopust and at times Matthäus), being an impassable presence cutting off the supply line to the forwards and keeping an eye on forwards dropping deep (Puskas and Gullit) into his area, the Octopus will simply gobble it all up.

Jari Litmanen could barely breathe. The Finnish No 10 huffed and puffed, his hollow cheeks now red, the contours of his face wet with perspiration. Louis Van Gaal had no choice but to haul him off. It was the 69th minute of the 1995 Champions League Final and Ajax were playing Fabio Capello's all-consuming Milan. "I suffer from asthma," Litmanen sighed. When asked to explain what that had anything to do with it, he replied: "They put Desailly on me and Desailly is a tough marker."

For over an hour, one of the most talented playmakers in Europe had toiled away but to no avail. Litmanen simply couldn't find a way past the tentacles of Milan's No 8. No sooner had he got the ball than it was gone. At the time Desailly was known in Italy simply as the Octopus. It was a particularly fitting description. When told of his nickname during an interview with Il Corriere della Sera, the Frenchman smiled typically and said: "I like it. That's my role in the middle of the pitch, just like an Octopus.

Desailly was a revelation in his first season at the club Milan won the Scudetto and the Champions League. Philosophically speaking, he effectively became the point at which the Milan degli Olandesi ended and the Milan degli Italiani returned. Out went Total Football. In came Catenaccio. "Let's not forget the turning point," Capello said. "That is Desailly's signing."

Indeed, there is no greater indicator of this shift in emphasis than a comparison made between the amount of League goals Milan scored and conceded in the '92-93 season and the following campaign. Staggeringly, the goals scored declined by more than half from 75 to just 36 whilst they conceded 32 goals in 92/93. "Marcel replaced Frank Rijkaard who had more quality and would get forward more," recalled Stefano Eranio. "Now we had a guy who did a disproportionate amount of defensive work. The number of goals they conceded in 93/94? 15 goals.
I'd leave his herculean efforts against the 'Dream Team' in the preceding Champions league final here for those interested. These anecdotes don't concern the Euro in particular (he did win the Euro and was in the TOTM twice whilst conceding a paltry 2 goals in 5 games in 1996) but are designed to give a better idea of his capabilities in the DM role.

Maldini's compilation of Euro performances

Demyanenko's compilation

Luisito Suárez's compilation

Pluskal's extended write-up

Moore's compilation

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Tactical line-ups:

Joga Bonito

vs

Team EAP​

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Team EAP

Formation:

A solid & flexible 4-3-3

Defensive Line:

Breitner: 1972 TotT
Nesta: 2000 TotT
Blanc: 1992, 1996, 2000 TotT
Durkovic: 1960 TotT

Nothing much needs to be said for the D-line. All known names who have the reputations of being one of the best at their roles. Every one of them stalwart defenders who are comfortable on the ball too.

Midfield:

Deschamps: 1996 TotT
Masopust: 1960 ToTT
Matthaus: 1988 TotT
Defence support from the midfield:

- Deschamps was a dedicated DM, well known for his high work-rate, tenacity, stamina, and his efficacy at pressing and tackling opponents. Tactically intelligent, his brilliant positional and organisational sense helped him in excelling at impeding the opposition's attacking movements.
- Masopust's usual position was a left half (close to a defensive central midfielder in modern formations)
- Lothar Matthaus is one the best box-to-box midfielders of all time. With a TotT performance, he will provide the physicality and defensive support needed.

Workrate:

VERY HIGH. All 3 of my midfielder's are known for their high work-rate. They will be perfect in recovering the ball and shuttling between the boxes all game.

Creativity/Play-making from the midfield:

- Deschamps was a good passer of the ball and was perfectly capable of starting up attacking plays once he won back possession.
- Masopust's was renowned for his box-to-box ability to support attack with his slalom runs. He Possessed exemplary ball control, his transmission with ball on foot through the field was clinical, which he utilized for both; basic work, from the recovery of the ball in defense, to driving menacingly through the opposition in what was termed 'Masopust's slalom'. During these solo runs Masopust would seamlessly switch between both feet, easily jinking to the left and right but always moving forward.
- Lothar Matthau was well known for his perceptive passing, positional sense and powerful shooting.

Attack:

Puskás: 1948/53 CEIC Top Scorer (10 goals)
Gullit: 1988, 1992 TotT
Van Basten: 1988 TotT. Top Scorer (5 goals)

Marco van Basten in his peak leads the line. 1988 Was not just his euro peak, but arguably his Balon d'Or winning career peak (along with 1992). In the knock-out stages, van Basten scored in both Semi's and in the Finals leading the Dutch to victory. In the final, Netherlands beat the Soviets 2-0 with goals being scored by Ruud Gullit & Marco Van Basten...something which I expect to happen here too.

Ferenc Puskas is a goal scoring machine himself. He jointly holds to best goal record in Euro's with 10 goals in CEIC 5, which still remains unbeaten imo.

Ruud Gullit - watch this video of him in the finals of Euro 1988. Right wing, centre midfield, in the box, back in his own half defending. His creativity and workrate will be the perfect foil for the lethal pair of MvB/Puskas.

The flaw in his midfield:

The late Bobby Robson, who was England manager at the time, described the French tactics in an interview with Observer Sport Monthly magazine.

“The team was built on the midfield of Michel Platini, Alain Giresse and Jean Tigana [complemented by the defensive Luis Fernandez]. Platini, who could thread the ball through the eye of a needle, was in the hole, looking for the counter-attack, doing next to no defensive work. When France regained the ball they passed it to him.
Behind Platini was little Giresse, knitting the midfield with the back four. Tigana had amazing pace and endurance and he worked the right channel."

That team's success was as much to the balance of that midfield as to the individual brilliance of Platini. Pluskal will play the role of Fernandez, but Suarez would be no way suitable to do either of Giresse (linking midfield to defence) not Tigana's (box-to-box) far less both together. These changes take away the balance and what made Platini great in that Euro.

My superior goal threat:

His strikers combined goal tally: 3 goals (Rummenigge @ Euro 1980 - 1 goal + Elkjaer @ Euro 1984 - 2 goals)
vs
My strikers combined goal tally: 15 goals ( Puskas @ CEIC 1948 - 10 goals | van Basten @ Euro 1988 - 5 goals)

Platini is the best goal scorer in his team. As I mention above his balance is off and I don't expect Platini to be anywhere the threat he was in 84.

Why I'll win / How this will play out:

I have 3 defensively sound midfielders who each have enormous workrate.

Masopust against Suarez and Matthaus against Platini.

I will not afford them any time or space on the ball. His best way ahead will be through his wing-backs linking up with his forwards with Platini trying to move up to the hole for support. Not the best use of Platini. Here's where Deschamps brilliance comes in. He's a master of killing creativity and with his brilliant positioning will be a major buffer against Platini. I have Blanc and Nesta holding fort in my defence to stop anything that gets through.

When I have the ball, Gullit will move centrally and will link with Masopust doing his slalom's. Pluskal will have 2 immense players on either side of him. A quick move and it's straight to his defence. I'll admit it's a strong defence, but then my attack is equally strong if not better. With the dominance through midfield, there's no way they can shut me out all match and that will be the key to my victory.

- Without balance his midfield will suffer and I will have the better hand there.
- His lack of bite upfront makes it difficult for him to score.
- Though his defence is superior (due to extra man) my attack just needs one chance to score, and they will.

-----------------------------------------

Good luck @Joga Bonito @Edgar Allan Pillow @MJJ @coolredwine

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Close game but have gone with Team EAP. That front three is woof!

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
That team's success was as much to the balance of that midfield as to the individual brilliance of Platini. Pluskal will play the role of Fernandez, but Suarez would be no way suitable to do either of Giresse (linking midfield to defence) not Tigana's (box-to-box) far less both together. These changes take away the balance and what made Platini great in that Euro.
It most certainly is not an exact replica of the French 1984 team and is my own different take on it. Suárez is absolutely the perfect individual do just that linking midfield to attack, dovetailing with Platini and also carrying the ball from midfield. I won't go overboard and claim he will make up for Tigana's defensive workrate (although he did have tremendous work rate, just not the physicality), that isn't so much required as opposed to creativity and flair with Desailly and Pluskal there.

Platini is the best goal scorer in his team. As I mention above his balance is off and I don't expect Platini to be anywhere the threat he was in 84.
- Without balance his midfield will suffer and I will have the better hand there.
Nope it is the ideal platform for Platini to shine with 2 great full-backs, a solid midfield with Pluskal and Desailly, a creative support playmaker (an immense upgrade on Giresse) in Suárez and two top notch forwards who also fit Platini's expected tactical requirements of his forwards (Rossi, Rocheatau, Six, Bellone, Boniek etc) like a glove.

With the dominance through midfield, there's no way they can shut me out all match and that will be the key to my victory.
There is no dominance in midfield for you here. In fact I'd say I will be the one with upper hand in midfield with an extremely solid base and 2 match-winners in Platini and Suárez who won their respective tournaments almost single-handedly. I can't see your midfield getting a handle on that midfield, let alone dominate it.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
My superior goal threat:

His strikers combined goal tally: 3 goals (Rummenigge @ Euro 1980 - 1 goal + Elkjaer @ Euro 1984 - 2 goals)
vs
My strikers combined goal tally: 15 goals ( Puskas @ CEIC 1948 - 10 goals | van Basten @ Euro 1988 - 5 goals)
Also there is no way you can not include Platini here as he is one of my prime goal threats. He scored 9 goals in one single tournament and if we include Gullit's tally of a single goal it makes it 12 goals vs 16. Even then it doesn't take into account how your forwards might not thrive here without the adequate width and proper support from midfield, with both your midfielders having their hands full with Suárez and Platini. Masopust making his forward runs into a congested central area and Breitner providing almost non-existent width might not be the type of supporting cast that your forward line might cherish playing with.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Good luck, @Joga Bonito !

Also there is no way you can not include Platini here as he is one of my prime goal threats. He scored 9 goals in one single tournament and if we include Gullit's tally of a single goal it makes it 12 goals
You'll never get that kind of return from Platini in this set up. Even in Juve he had Tardelli and Bonini behind him in addition to a back 3. As Robson said, to get the best out of him, you need people to just pass to Platini when they have the ball...which is something you are not doing here. Not saying this is a dysfunctional midfield, by any means...just not one where Platini scores 9 goals. Both in his Juve and France day, the midfield was effectively run by Platini alone. Secondly as you've said, I have a central threat. Platini up front will have Deschamps and dropping deeper will have Matthaus. He certainly will have some joy and get some cracking passes to the strikers...but nothing my defence can't handle. Without Platini in his 9 goal form, your attack falls way short of being a threat. As I said in OP, in this game your wing backs is the best way forward, not through the middle Platini/Suarez.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
As Robson said, to get the best out of him, you need people to just pass to Platini when they have the ball...which is something you are not doing here. Not saying this is a dysfunctional midfield, by any means...just not one where Platini scores 9 goals. Both in his Juve and France day, the midfield was effectively run by Platini alone. Secondly as you've said, I have a central threat. Platini up front will have Deschamps and dropping deeper will have Matthaus.
He is the star of this set-up and it revolves around him. I don't get what you are getting at here and in the France set-up he did have a supporting playmaker in Giresse around him, like-wise he has Suárez here.

Giresse could peel into the flanks, play in tandem with Platini and more importantly push further up whenever Platini dropped deep. That is exactly what Suárez is capable of here but on a different level altogether (no disrespect to Giresse but it is more to do with Suárez's quality than Giresse's lack of). Also, Suárez is much more than that as a complete package since he can contribute defensively, can drop back into midfield when needed and also play defense-splitting ball (like Giresse but on a different level once again) when required. He is one of the most tactically complete and intelligent players of all time who will dovetail beautifully with Platini.

It is the perfect set-up for Platini and more importantly, I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket (an accusation you could levy at France 1984). I have the threat of Brehme-Maldini on the flanks when France 84 had Domergue-Battison, I have Suárez (an individual match-winning threat in addition to being a brilliant cohesive support) here instead of Giresse and Elkenigge instead of Bellone-Lacombe, all without taking away the tactical crown from Platini, crucially. Like you said, both Matthäus and Deschamps are in Platini's zones but will they also be able to handle El Architechto, in his one man tournament winning pomp from wreaking havoc at the same time? I sincerely doubt it.

Last edited:

MJJ

@Edgar Allan Pillow

Can you explain how you'll inject a bit of width to your play? It looks a little congested up there.
I think the lack of width issue is being over-blown a bit. Both Puskas and Gullit have the attributes to be comfortable out wide and maso. and math. can go wide as well. The current barca side is similar and they dont suffer from a lack of width at all.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
@Edgar Allan Pillow the perfect set-up for Puskas is a 5-forward line with 2 wingers and a false-nine. You obviously have a different set-up, but if you're saying that this isn't 9 goals Platini version, than you should say that this isn't 10 goals Puskas?

And this 3 vs 15 is a cheap dig, directed at voters that are just glancing at the write-ups, I don't like that.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I think the lack of width issue is being over-blown a bit. Both Puskas and Gullit have the attributes to be comfortable out wide and maso. and math. can go wide as well. The current barca side is similar and they dont suffer from a lack of width at all.
They certainly aren't as comfortable as Messi or Neymar. They're both left and right forward respectively. Puskas was a striker who drifted leftwards in a sinilar manner to Shevchenko and Gullit was at his best was a sort of 10 (sort of a huge upgrade on Fellaini).

harms

Staff
By the way, when I rewatched 1988 Euro, I was surprised - despite the obvious goalscoring exploits of Van Basten, I would say that Gullit was their best/most threatening player over the tournament. It wasn't as I remembered it, I would genuinely name Gullit player of the tournament ahead of MvB, am I the only one?

harms

Staff
And the quality of goalkeepers in both teams, considering the pool with Yashin, Zoff, Schmeichel and Beara is just :( I would rate Schrojff a little higher than Platzer, but both are not final worthy.

MJJ

They certainly aren't as comfortable as Messi or Neymar. They're both left and right forward respectively. Puskas was a striker who drifted leftwards in a sinilar manner to Shevchenko and Gullit was at his best was a sort of 10 (sort of a huge upgrade on Fellaini).
Puskas as you have mentioned is used to drifting left, similarly gullit is used to drifting to the right(initially played as right forward in the milan formation) so it can easily work. Breitner will provide width down the left when needed as well. Dont see it being too much of an issue.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Just uploaded some of Moore's highlights from the 1968 tourno, it's just been edited into the OP and if you can't find it. If you are too lazy to scroll up :lol:, here it is

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-uefa-euro-fantasy-draft.403052/page-63#post-17514131

By the way, when I rewatched 1988 Euro, I was surprised - despite the obvious goalscoring exploits of Van Basten, I would say that Gullit was their best/most threatening player over the tournament. It wasn't as I remembered it, I would genuinely name Gullit player of the tournament ahead of MvB, am I the only one?
I would say so myself, MvB was distinctly underwhelming in the final that I watched (said so in the Demya compilation post myself even before I was matched up against EAP) apart from the goal. Gullit was more impressive it has to be said but MvB's goals were crucial throughout the tournament of course.

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@Edgar Allan Pillow the perfect set-up for Puskas is a 5-forward line with 2 wingers and a false-nine. You obviously have a different set-up, but if you're saying that this isn't 9 goals Platini version, than you should say that this isn't 10 goals Puskas?

And this 3 vs 15 is a cheap dig, directed at voters that are just glancing at the write-ups, I don't like that.
You missed my point totally. What I said, was that for Platini to be at his best, he needs to control the midfield, In France, he had Tigana/Giresse, in Juventus, he had Bonini/Tardelli...take him away from defensive duties, feed him the ball and give him a free role in final third and he will deliver the results. Simply put though Suzrez is a better player than the ones I mention above, I still don't think this is a optimal partnership. I see neither at their best here.

harms

Staff
You missed my point totally. What I said, was that for Platini to be at his best, he needs to control the midfield, In France, he had Tigana/Giresse, in Juventus, he had Bonini/Tardelli...take him away from defensive duties, feed him the ball and give him a free role in final third and he will deliver the results. Simply put though Suzrez is a better player than the ones I mention above, I still don't think this is a optimal partnership. I see neither at their best here.
Pluskal + Desailly isn't enough defensively? Defensively Desailly, Pluskal and Suarez are better or, at least, equal to Fernandez, Tigana and Giresse. I downplayed Suarez myself in the semi, hell, I wanted to win, but in our game Desailly's position didn't make sense - in yours it's as it should be. Suarez may not be the perfect partner for Platini, but he is a great upgrade on Giresse and easily a better passer than anyone in that French midfield, so the lack of playmaking from Pluskal/Desailly isn't a problem. Plus, he has fantastic players upfront - much better than with that France.

Oh, and I don't rate Matthäus like you do here, if you forgot - that should count in my view on midfield battle.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Puskas as you have mentioned is used to drifting left, similarly gullit is used to drifting to the right(initially played as right forward in the milan formation) so it can easily work. Breitner will provide width down the left when needed as well. Dont see it being too much of an issue.
Puskas could drift into the left hand channels but never onto the flanks itself. Gullit is better in this regard but he isn't the type who you could rely on to go onto the flanks regularly as say a Rummenigge/Boniek/Nedved drifting from central areas. It was a facet of his game (he was bloody complete) but it wasn't as pronounced as the players whom I mentioned above and he was primarily a central player. So I wouldn't say he is best suited to the role with the central Puskas and MvB here. Say you have Dzajic on the left and Gullit as an inside right, now that would be cracking and optimal for the entire forward line and more importantly for Gullit imo.

Breitner isn't one to provide width at all. He loved cutting in onto his right foot and was an unique LB (who I personally love) but his skill-set isn't ideal here with your team desperately needing conventional width - he wasn't one to go on overlapping runs and put in crosses or stretched play.

He has control of the midfield here and he has absolutely zero defensive duties and all the tactical freedom in the world. Could you expand on why you don't think Suárez-Platini isn't an optimal partnership here?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@Edgar Allan Pillow

Can you explain how you'll inject a bit of width to your play? It looks a little congested up there.
Firstly, my strength is through the middle and I expect my full backs to link with Masopust/Matthaus when we have the ball. I don't expect them to go bombing up and it frankly is not necessary to my tactics.

Secondly, wide play is relative.
- Wingers/wide men have capacity to get behind defensive gaps and exploit space, hence more dangerous for full backs to handle.
- Wing-backs is just an alternate mode to build up play. They operate in front of my defence, not behind them.

Neither Maldini not Brehme are going to stay up all the time and when they move up, Elkjaer/Rumminegge are better off in the middle waiting to receive the ball. I don't see my full backs in any sustained pressure in this match. Whenever their wing backs move up or one of the forwards drift wide, they are there to support, but except from there they are free to move up or squeeze in to support.

Breitner did not become one the best left backs in history of the game by providing traditional wide play, did he? Durkovic has played RB and RCB with equal success. If and when needed, he can squeeze in to eliminate space for my opposition.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Pluskal + Desailly isn't enough defensively? Defensively Desailly, Pluskal and Suarez are better or, at least, equal to Fernandez, Tigana and Giresse. I downplayed Suarez myself in the semi, hell, I wanted to win, but in our game Desailly's position didn't make sense - in yours it's as it should be. Suarez may not be the perfect partner for Platini, but he is a great upgrade on Giresse and easily a better passer than anyone in that French midfield, so the lack of playmaking from Pluskal/Desailly isn't a problem. Plus, he has fantastic players upfront - much better than with that France.

Oh, and I don't rate Matthäus like you do here, if you forgot - that should count in my view on midfield battle.
For me, Desailly and Pluskal's best times were when played next to Albertini and Masopust who were the ones linking defence to midfield. Here you have 2 destroyer DM's and 2 passer type AM's. What is missing is a Tigana/Giresse or Albertini/Masopust type CM's who will get them to works as a unit.

Secondly going by his tactics/positioning, I have van Basten operating behind Desailly. Masopust gets underrated, he may not be a architect in mode of Suarez/Platini, but his dribbling and running abilities are best in the world. Gullit doing his bridging role he does best, I don't see how he can stop my midfield and attack from linking up.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I agree with you perfectly. I even posted the video in my earlier game. Gullit was an absolute monster and was everywhere. This is why I think Desailly will not be as effective. He has Gullit in the same area as him. I like Pluskal from my research on Masopust, but Masopust is definitely a better player here and when Masopust makes his runs, Desailly will be between a rock/hard place and what's worse, he has van Basten lurking behind him.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I don't expect them to go bombing up and it frankly is not necessary to my tactics.
It is simply essential to have width and some up and down play from your wing-backs, to provide support in a centrally oriented set-up!

Breitner did not become one the best left backs in history of the game by providing traditional wide play, did he? Durkovic has played RB and RCB with equal success.
I agree on the Breitner point but once again, I really don't think they are the suitable WBs to your set-up here and that they fulfil the tactical requirements that your narrow set-up needs nor are they the players your set-up is screaming for. For instance, if you had my set of FBs, it would have more tactically coherent as both Brehme and Maldini are capable of providing traditional width which is exactly what your set-up needs IMO. I think my set-up could have possibly pulled off Breitner-Durkovic as a FB pair (though still not that optimally even in my team) as I do have Suárez who can peel wide in addition to Elkenigge who are brilliant out wide when they are peeling away.

and 2 passer type AM's. What is missing is a Tigana/Giresse or Albertini/Masopust type CM's who will get them to works as a unit.
Suárez was exactly that as a CM-AM for Spain in 1964. He is the glue holding it all together and I have repeatedly emphasised on his tactical versatility and intelligence here.

It might seem like I'm overstating Suárez's role here but I will let you judge what he did for yourself.
Luisito Suárez's compilation against Russia in Euro 1964 final. He was ubiquitous and was absolutely everywhere and more importantly exactly where the situation needed him to be.

I have van Basten operating behind Desailly.
That could have been an issue if you had proper wide forwards imo (Rummenigge/Boniek/Nedved or even a single outside left/right like Dzajic) like say how harms had Dzajic (and Meazza) which made me drop Desailly back into defense, after starting him exactly this way.

However, since you have Puskas and Gullit as his companions, I do not believe you are going to be stretching play in the final third, to the extent required, to create a wide berth of space for MvB to operate in and exploit that. As such Desailly is perfectly in his element in a 'sweeping' role in front of the defense. It is a fairly narrow attack and I'd back Desailly-Moore-Bergomi, in tandem with Maldini of course, to deal with that.

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Ffs, you are already leading 5-2 :lol:

It is simply essential to have width and some up and down play from your wing-backs, to provide support in a centrally oriented set-up!
They'll provide whatever width any normal fullback will do. More a Gary Neville type of role, than a Zambrotta type here.

I agree on the Breitner point but once again, I really don't think they are the suitable WBs to your set-up here and that they fulfil the tactical requirements that your narrow set-up needs nor are they the players your set-up is screaming for. For instance, if you had my set of FBs, it would have more tactically coherent as both Brehme and Maldini are capable of providing traditional width which is exactly what your set-up needs IMO. I think my set-up could have possibly pulled off Breitner-Durkovic as a FB pair (though still not that optimally even in my team) as I do have Suárez who can peel wide in addition to Elkenigge who are brilliant out wide when they are peeling away.
Breitner will do what he does best. Durkovic has the ability to act as a RCB in defensive phases. Like Grande Inter of the 60s. Facchetti will attack whilst Burgnich squeezes in. When Breitner goes on his runs, Durkovic will always be there to act as 3rd CB if needed.

Suárez was exactly that as a CM-AM for Spain in 1964. He is the glue holding it all together and I have repeatedly emphasised on his tactical versatility and intelligence here.

It might seem like I'm overstating Suárez's role here but I will let you judge what he did for yourself.

Luisito Suárez's compilation against Russia in Euro 1964 final. He was ubiquitous and was absolutely everywhere and more importantly exactly where the situation needed him to be.
Imo, him and Platini are quite similar (and not complimentary to each other) in what they offer. Both are AM's who will also drop deep to pick up and make plays. And I have Matthaus there to negate a big portion of what he can do.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I agree with you perfectly. I even posted the video in my earlier game. Gullit was an absolute monster and was everywhere. This is why I think Desailly will not be as effective. He has Gullit in the same area as him. I like Pluskal from my research on Masopust, but Masopust is definitely a better player here and when Masopust makes his runs, Desailly will be between a rock/hard place and what's worse, he has van Basten lurking behind him.

Just watched the video to refresh my memory (had watched the final a few days ago for Demyanenko) and it just reinforces my point about him being the wrong type of player to partner Puskas-MvB. He primarily looks to play centrally and isn't the ideal foil for Puskas-MvB. My point being that in a front trio, you can have one inside forward type of player (Meazza/Gullit/Puskas etc) and one wide forward (Rummenigge/Boniek/Nedved etc) or you can have two of the latter types but ideally not both consisting of the former type. In saying that Gullit is better than most in his category when it comes to being good in wider areas but not to the extent that it is required here alongside Puskas-MvB. Esp when you consider that you do not have the ideal wing-backs here and one of whom is playing as a RCB/RB.

They'll provide whatever width any normal fullback will do. More a Gary Neville type of role, than a Zambrotta type here.
I might seem like I'm being overly harsh on Breitner but he won't even be able to provide width that Neville did for us. I'm not making this up just for this match either.

In my match against Raees in the sheep draft.
Let's not forget that Breitner loved cutting in with his right foot instead of going on overlapping runs and putting in crosses.
Balu summed it up best on why I went for Brehme instead of Breitner in the reinforcement rounds.

Mostly because being two-footed offers a lot more from the left, you get actual width from Brehme. Breitner was always a box to box midfielder, always more the playmaker towards the middle, even when played as a leftback. Brehme really was both and probably the stronger defender as well.

I rate the midfielder Breitner higher than the leftback as well. It's easily explained because Breitner moved into midfield before he reached his peak. As brilliant as 20-22 year old Breitner was, he got better soon after leaving the leftback spot behind. Brehme played his peak years there.
Imo, him and Platini are quite similar (and not complimentary to each other) in what they offer. Both are AM's who will also drop deep to pick up and make plays. And I have Matthaus there to negate a big portion of what he can do.
I wouldn't agree with that myself. It isn't the Barca AM version of Suárez that I'm using here, which wouldn't have been complementary with Platini in the same team, nor the La Grande DLP version. It is the CM-AM version who primarily played a supporting role but could go forward when needed (when Platini drops deep for example). It's not like I'm playing Pirlo and Platini :p.

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Balu summed it up best on why I went for Brehme instead of Breitner in the reinforcement rounds.
Don't get your point at all. Whilst facing 2 advanced wing backs (in a back 5), even Nilton Santos (in a back 4) will not have much joy.

When you have the ball, Breitner will be a regular full back defending. When I have the ball, he'll cut in to the middle (which is already my strong point) where your full backs cannot and will not follow him. I understand your point if both of us are playing a back 4, but against your set up Breitner will be far more productive than any traditional full back. He was devastating doing the same and he will do it here too.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Don't get your point at all. Whilst facing 2 advanced wing backs (in a back 5), even Nilton Santos (in a back 4) will not have much joy.

When you have the ball, Breitner will be a regular full back defending. When I have the ball, he'll cut in to the middle (which is already my strong point) where your full backs cannot and will not follow him. I understand your point if both of us are playing a back 4, but against your set up Breitner will be far more productive than any traditional full back. He was devastating doing the same and he will do it here too.
My point being that, why would you want your FB cutting into the middle where you are well stocked and where it is extremely congested? Esp, since there is barely anyone who can provide width in your team - primarily in the attacking areas and it is absolutely imperative for your FBs to do so, as your narrow set-up requires someone to stretch my team's rock solid core.

As it stands in a congested environment, I would back my solid core of Moore-Bergomi-Desailly-Pluskal to simply stifle your extremely centrally oriented attack. You aren't making the most out of the likes of Puskas-MvB-Gullit and even Breitner in that role where his attributes are largely unneeded in this particular set-up.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
My point being that, why would you want your FB cutting into the middle where you are well stocked and where it is extremely congested? Esp, since there is barely anyone who can provide width in your team - primarily in the attacking areas and it is absolutely imperative for your FBs to do so, as your narrow set-up requires someone to stretch my team's rock solid core.

As it stands in a congested environment, I would back my solid core of Moore-Bergomi-Desailly-Pluskal to simply stifle your extremely centrally oriented attack. You aren't making the most out of the likes of Puskas-MvB-Gullit and even Breitner in that role where his attributes are largely unneeded in this particular set-up.
My whole post above is to explain why this doesn't make sense. No back 4 full back is going to get joy against back 5 wingbacks, imo. A traditional full back like Facchetti will be up against Brehme and I don't see much benefit. Breitner will drift to areas in the middle where Brehme will not follow him....and has a better chance of influencing this match. This is exactly the type of play that made Breitner as a maverick left back so effective.

Annahnomoss

My whole post above is to explain why this doesn't make sense. No back 4 full back is going to get joy against back 5 wingbacks, imo. A traditional full back like Facchetti will be up against Brehme and I don't see much benefit. Breitner will drift to areas in the middle where Brehme will not follow him....and has a better chance of influencing this match. This is exactly the type of play that made Breitner as a maverick left back so effective.
The problem is that every single player in your team is in that central area already. Masopust and Matthäus can't provide width and Puskas won't do it either so it will all fall on Breitner to play a game that doesn't do him justice if you want width.

The other option is to just have all players play like LVG did for us earlier this season, centrally, without full backs who are capable of providing width of their own.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
if you want width.
I prefer having him in through the middle as I explained before and below...

(1) Breitner was an effective full back in real life operating as he did. He has proven effectiveness in what he is doing.
(2) Even if I had Facchetti, do you think he'll be effective against brehme in a back 5? Don't think so.
(3) I don't rate Bergomi in Euros as high as his career peak. Italy did not quality in 2 or 3 tournaments he played in and got knocked out in first match qualifying in the third. With Puskas, Masopust and Brehme attacking though the middle that side, I will break through and score definitely.

harms

Staff
(2) Even if I had Facchetti, do you think he'll be effective against brehme in a back 5? Don't think so.
The point is not for your fullback to be effective, the point is to drag defenders from the central areas. Breitner won't do it, or he won't be at his best. Facchetti would've and he would've beaten Brehme a few times, I would imagine, forcing Bergomi to cover and opening spaces for Puskas and Van Basten. Width-providers can be individually underwhelming, like Pedro in that Barca side, yet still they are vital for the system.

coolredwine

lameredboots
The point is not for your fullback to be effective, the point is to drag defenders from the central areas. Breitner won't do it, or he won't be at his best. Facchetti would've and he would've beaten Brehme a few times, I would imagine, forcing Bergomi to cover and opening spaces for Puskas and Van Basten. Width-providers can be individually underwhelming, like Pedro in that Barca side, yet still they are vital for the system.
Ummm, sorry to interrupt, but we don't need Breitner to do that. We only need him to be present in the wide areas. The dragging around of defenders would be done by Puskas and Gullit, freeing van Basten and Masopust to make runs through the center.

harms

Staff
Ummm, sorry to interrupt, but we don't need Breitner to do that. We only need him to be present in the wide areas
Breitner will drift to areas in the middle where Brehme will not follow him....and has a better chance of influencing this match. This is exactly the type of play that made Breitner as a maverick left back so effective.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I can understand what you are coming to, but it's a double edged sword. If I commit Facchetti to that much, it leaves me open to a counter and I don't have a back 3 to protect me. So I'd rather have a full back who will just support the midfield. Breitner will defend primarily against Brehme and when we have the ball Masopust moves up, Breiner will occupy that left half midfield role and keep things ticking. My full backs are purely in a supporting role here. In the occasions when Breitner decides to be more attacking, Masopust being a traditional Left Half with brilliant passing range, will hold fort there.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Sill, I believe he cannot score against me. His forwards goal scoring records in Euro's are not good at all and with Deschamps in holding role, I certainly suspect Platini will not be at his goal scoring prime either. Blanc/Nesta is a strong CB combination and what he has is not sufficient to breach this.

As I said, I think Bergomi's Euro peak is lower than his career peak and he is against Puskas and van Basten with their with his 15 goal exploits. I will score.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
What exactly made Breitner effective as a 'maverick left back' was the system that he was playing in. For both Germany and Bayern he played as LB in a traditional 4-3-3 with 2 wide-forwards (Grabowski/Hoeneß or even a wide-forward like Heynckes). That is not to say Breitner was someone who was elevated by the system. Quite to the contrary, the system managed to get the best out of him and allowed him to execute his own unique style at LB. If say you were playing a 4-2-4 and had Breitner moving to LCM to form a 3-3-4 or say you had a 4-3-3 with someone like Di Maria moving into the left flank, then I'd say Breitner would have been brilliant. It doesn't have to be that extreme though, play Breitner alongside a few wide players or players who could peel off wide, and he will be terrific. I just can't see him functioning to his best here, nor do I buy your strategy of him cutting inside into an already congested area, as being effective.

I don't rate Bergomi in Euros as high as his career peak. Italy did not quality in 2 or 3 tournaments he played in and got knocked out in first match qualifying in the third. With Puskas, Masopust and Brehme attacking though the middle that side, I will break through and score definitely.
I don't quite see why the qualifiers have any relevance here and he was brilliant in Euro 1988. Practically flawless alongside Maldini and Ferri (Baresi wasn't at his imperious best though) and anyone who had watched their matches, would be praising that Italian defense to high heavens. They really were that good and Bergomi was a vital part of it. Ultimately they were let down by their midfield and attack, and it was pretty much their defense which carried them to the semis.

His forwards goal scoring records in Euro's are not good at all and with Deschamps in holding role, I certainly suspect Platini will not be at his goal scoring prime either
I really don't get why you are constantly ignoring Platini's goalscoring record here. As I wrote in one of my earlier matches

Simply put, no one else compares to the individual impact Platini made on the Euros and his perfect amalgam of classy playmaking and lethal goalscoring prowess. Captaining the Le Bleus to their first international trophy, he scored in all five matches, including hat-tricks against Belgium and Yugoslavia, with his other three goals being all winners - including strikes in the semi-final and the final against Spain. The second top scorer, Arnesen, finished with 3 goals - a tally which was a paltry one-third of Platini's 9 (only one of which was a pen as opposed to Arnesen's two penalties). Even then, Platini's goals doesn't even begin to paint the full picture of Le Roi's incomparable contributions - he commandeered the team and was the heartbeat and conductor of that glorious French ensemble. One of the greatest individual knock-out tournament performances of all time.
I don't see anyone else having issues with Platini's role or his teammates here (many usually do when it comes to Platini set-ups) and in fact most were actually in agreement as to the Platini-Suárez partnership being complementary, in my last match. I still don't get why you are persisting with Platini not being 'at his goalscoring peak' and not being complementary for Suárez, without actually providing adequate evidence to back up your claims.

Suárez was never your 'limited' ball-hogging playmaker ala Bozsik/Pirlo/Xavi etc who would have been at loggerheads with Platini. He was insanely tactically complete and as intelligent as they come. For instance, he dovetailed beautifully with Kubala in Barcelona as an AM and more importantly, played brilliantly with fellow creative geniuses such as Corso and Mazzola in La Grande's Inter. Take Spain 1964 for example, he played a supporting role to Amancio and Pareda but always knew when to get forward/drop deep/venture out to the flanks/dribble forward/help the defense etc. He tailored his playstyle to suit the game's tactical requirements and he had the uncanny ability to be exactly where the game needed him to be. Needless to say, less so for the Barca version of Suárez, and more so for the Inter/Spain version of Suárez, who had taken his tactical game to a whole new level under the tutelage of Helenio Herrera.

Blanc/Nesta is a strong CB combination and what he has is not sufficient to breach this.
Rummenigge was the star of the Euro 1980 and won the Balon d'Or, Elkjaer was one of the best players in the Euro 1984 version (scoring 2 and assisting 2 goals in 4 games) winning the Balon d'Or bronze ball*, Suárez was indisputably recognised as the star of the 1964 Euro (assisting 2 of the 3 goals that Spain scored in the entire tournament and played a significant role in the third goal too) and won the Balon d'Or Silver Ball behind Law who did not play in the Euros.

Platini scored 9 goals in 5 games, won the Balon d'Or and is widely regarded as the best player ever to set foot in the European Championships. So tell me again, how what I have, is not sufficient to breach your defense.

*His half season with Hellas Verona did play a part in this, I won't lie. That being said, he did have a magnificent tournament, which actually led to his Verona move and was hands down Denmark's best player.

Elkjær played a prominent role in the rise of the Danish Dynamites in Euro 1984 and no one epitomised that barnstorming team better than The Crazy Man from Lokeren. The tournament started with an encounter against Platini's France, where Denmark delivered a defensive masterclass stifling France with Elkjaer being their sole goal threat (esp from a couple of lovely balls by Lerby).

Elkjær proved to be too hot to handle against Yugoslavia in the second match where he notched a goal and was a constant menace for their defense with his powerful and irrepressible play. In the vital third group game against Ceulemans Belgium, where Denmark needed a draw at the very least to progress, Elkjær was at his boisterous match-winning best. Denmark were down by 2 goals by 39 minutes and were staring at an early exit when Elkjaer stepped up to the plate. After a good piece of play, Elkjær was fouled in the box which resulted in a penalty that Denmark duly converted. Denmark soon equalised with 30 mins to go and Elkjaer completed the fantastic come back with a glorious goal.

UEFA Official match report said:
before Elkjær completed the turnaround on 84 minutes. The Danish No11's performance warranted a goal and he duly provided one of appropriate class, beating **** and **** before knocking the ball over Jean-Marie Pfaff. It was a suitable conclusion to an extraordinary game and an astounding group.
Elkjær once again had a terrific game against Spain in the semi finals where the Spanish goalie did well to keep out his header on the 7th minute but the rebound kindly fell to Lerby, who slotted the ball into an empty net, giving Denmark the lead. Despite being on top for most periods of the game, Denmark were pegged back by Spain and the match eventually went to penalties. Unfortunately, Elkjær was to have a Baggio-esque farewell to the tournament missing the penalty in the shoot out but taking nothing away from his effervescent displays throughout the tournament, which heralded his (and the Danish Dynamites) rise to the international scene.

UEFA Official website said:
Preben Elkjær, one of the stars of the tournament and probably the last player France would have wanted to face in the final...
His performances led to a move to Hellas Verona and we all know how that went. Elkjaer was rewarded with a bronze balon d'Or behind Platini and Tigana for his displays in the Euro 1984 and an exhilarating half season with Hellas Verona.

Last edited: