The UEFA Euro Fantasy Draft

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Man marking - What's you take on that?

Kohler was mentioned as the best man marker. Next match Forster had a similar claim. Not on the players, but on the tactic.

Is man marking really effective in modern football? I'm thinking the likes of Stiles/Eusebio or Gentile/Maradona will never happen with modern foul rules and will end up with defenders getting sent off. What kind of 'man marking' can Kohler or Forster do that any other competant CB (Nesta or Moore etc) can't do. Is playing Kohler/Forster any better than Moore/Nesta?
It's a good question. There's probably a difference between a follow-him-around-the-park-even-into-the-dressing-room-at-half-time marker and a centre-half who excels in one-to-one battles but is otherwise happy to pass on and play a zonal marking game. Gentile is your best example of the former, Kohler I'd say although can do both is a great example of the latter.

I remember before the Euro 2000 final the Italian coach Dino Zoff was questioned on how he intended to deal with Zidane who had such a talismanic tournament and whether he intended to employ a man marker to quell his influence. But his view was that they were better off playing a zonal set-up in midfield to handle him. And in that situation he was right and Zidane had his quietest game of the tournament. A lot depends on the situation. With the rules and the threshold of contact favouring attackers now, it's also more difficult to employ a dedicated man-marker.

Annahnomoss

It's a good question. There's probably a difference between a follow-him-around-the-park-even-into-the-dressing-room-at-half-time marker and a centre-half who excels in one-to-one battles but is otherwise happy to pass on and play a zonal marking game. Gentile is your best example of the former, Kohler I'd say although can do both is a great example of the latter.

I remember before the Euro 2000 final the Italian coach Dino Zoff was questioned on how he intended to deal with Zidane who had such a talismanic tournament and whether he intended to employ a man marker to quell his influence. But his view was that they were better off playing a zonal set-up in midfield to handle him. And in that situation he was right and Zidane had his quietest game of the tournament. A lot depends on the situation. With the rules and the threshold of contact favouring attackers now, it's also more difficult to employ a dedicated man-marker.
Yup. People tend to get very extreme when the term man marking is used, while in reality it is a very commonly used concept in todays top flight football too. Gary Neville always played man marking according to himself for example, he thinks it is better too as a whole.

G. Neville - “I’m not saying zonal marking can’t work, but we’re talking about vagueness, grey areas. The reason we were told you go man marking is quite simple. There’s your man, it’s you versus him, go and win it. I think simplicity [is favoured] sometimes when you’ve got changing squads, foreign languages, new cultures, 24 players all changing, different zones, different people.

“Zonal marking needs coaching, hours on the training pitch. I never did it so maybe that’s why I’m biased against it, but my view would be that accountability and simplicity is important.”

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Some of Demyanenko's finer moments in the semi-final and final as a RWB for those interested. @Edgar Allan Pillow

First let's get the obligatory Maldini gifs out of the way shall we.

Now onto Demyanenko (More extensive gifs to show that he was still his usual buccaneering self on the right and was a genuine outlet on the right. He was right footed and versatile enough to play on both flanks.)

(Not the greatest of touches although the ball did bounce awkwardly before reaching him. Great burst to get into a dangerous position, more of those to follow)

Goes past 2 defenders before putting a good ball but the Soviet Union midget forwards hardly posed a threat aerially throughout the game :lol:

Terrific goal-saving back-pedalling headed clearance

Once again great awareness to track the run, staying goalside of the attacker to prevent a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Looks for a one-two and busts his gut to get forward (a frequent feature of his game, often outpacing his marker) but the midfielder doesn't maximise the situation

Great anticipation with the interception/tackle which results in a promising attack for the Soviets

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Against the Dutch

Nips the ball off MvB

Once again demonstrating his penchant for gut-busting runs after a nice one-two. Would have been clear through on goal (leaving the LB eating dust) had the pass not been telegraphed.

A good pull back which was astutely intercepted by the well positioned Rijkaard

Getting the better of MvB yet again. Got to say, MvB was pretty anonymous overall bar THAT goal.

Puts in a nice deep cross after another penetrating run but the Soviet forwards were almost defunct aerially :annoyed:

Again...

The hallmarks of a footballer who was schooled in Lobanovsky's total football philosophy. Wins the header at the start of the move, proceeding to move forward intelligently to position himself in between the lines (in front of the CBs) knowing there is no spare man to pick him up, thereby providing an extra option for the man on the ball. Demyanenko is the guy who does the final lay off before the free kick is won in the dangerous area.

Excellent ball over the top

Is on the poor sod in a flash :lol: after a quick throw by the goalie, pressurising him to ultimately win a throw in high up the pitch. There were plenty more examples of him pressing intelligently and ferociously but don't want to bore you guys any further :lol:

Wins a corner after yet another routine foray forward

A nice free kick flighted in by him which results in a shot which hits the woodwork

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
@Joga Bonito he also missed the open goal in the end of the final iirc.

Have to say, I like my compilations better because they show the whole performance, including the mistakes/errors, but your gif-walls are easier on the eye and still very informative. Good job!

Annahnomoss

@Joga Bonito he also missed the open goal in the end of the final iirc.

Have to say, I like my compilations better because they show the whole performance, including the mistakes/errors, but your gif-walls are easier on the eye and still very informative. Good job!
Of course! You've set the standard at more or less scientific standards, haven't seen football history shows go in to such details about anything but the most famous players. Could be a 1 hour football show starring Harms.

Joga's job is immense too, not coming in far behind and in terms of a draft it is maybe even smarter. Of course nowhere near as great for educational purposes as it shows the better parts only.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

This one @harms . Typical defender's shot :D but yeah there were some mistakes etc that I left out because it is quite tedious making gifs etc and if I knew how to make a video, I would in all likelihood, make a more comprehensive and complete compilation of their performances. Also I was primarily doing it to show that Demyanenko was equally comfortable on the right as well, when it was being questioned.

Annahnomoss

This one @harms . Typical defender's shot :D but yeah there were some mistakes etc that I left out because it is quite tedious making gifs etc and if I knew how to make a video, I would in all likelihood, make a more comprehensive and complete compilation of their performance. Also I was doing it to show that Demyanenko was equally comfortable on the right as well when it was being questioned.
Would be retarded if you did include the mistakes. :lol: Huge job to do for no benefit at all.

harms

Staff
This one @harms . Typical defender's shot :D but yeah there were some mistakes etc that I left out because it is quite tedious making gifs etc and if I knew how to make a video, I would in all likelihood, make a more comprehensive and complete compilation of their performances. Also I was primarily doing it to show that Demyanenko was equally comfortable on the right as well, when it was being questioned.
Oh, I remembered it as a more easy chance :lol: Not really a 100% moment.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Semifinalists:

2. Edgar Allan Pillow & MJJ & coolredwine - 1. Puskás 2. Masopust 3. Gullit 4. Breitner 5. Deschamps 6. Sol Campbell 7. Schweinsteiger 8. Durkovic 9. Pepe 10. Schrojf 11. Hierro 12. Sneijder 13. Blanc 14. Kluivert

4. The Stain - 1. Zidane 2. Czibor 3. Amancio 4. Förster 5. Zagorakis 6. Shearer 7. Wimmer 8. Puyol 9. Combi 10. Zambrotta 11. Joao Pinto 12. Poborsky 13. Thuram 14. Davids

7. Joga Bonito - 1. Maldini 2. B.Moore 3. Sindelar 4. Bergomi 5. Effenberg 6. Pluskal 7. Hoeneß 8. Villa 9. Elkjær 10. McManaman 11. Demyanenko 12. Platzer 13. Rummenigge 14. Desailly

8. harms -
1. Dragan Džajić 2. Sárosi 3. Schuster 4. Voronin 5. Brehme 6. Ondruš 7. Bezsonov 8. Van Moer 9. Khurtsilava 10. Ivo Viktor 11. Chislenko 12. Pietro Rava 13. Meazza 14. Yashin

The reinforcement draft will happen in the original order again:

2. Edgar Allan Pillow & MJJ & coolredwine
4. The Stain
7. Joga Bonito
8. harms

The 8 hour deadline starts after @Edgar Allan Pillow @MJJ @coolredwine made his pick or at the latest tomorrow, Sunday the 3rd at noon British time.

Playerpool semifinal reinforcements

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Playerpool for the semifinal reinforcements:

Don't forget that you can have more than 2 players from one nation in your squad, but the rules about playing at most 2 from one nation at the same time still stands, as does the rule regarding at least 3 pre-66 players. Be careful with substitutes if you add more players from one nation now. Any mistake means, you lose the game.

Teams that went out in the first round (players picked in the first reinforcement rounds already taken out):

3. Paolo Di Canio
- 1. Cristiano Ronaldo 4. van Nistelrooy 5. Gentile 6. Domenghini 7. Ballack 8. Bergkamp 9. Camacho 10. Pique 11. Giovanni Ferrari 12. 12. Dragoslav Sekularac

5. Skizzo & Pat_Mustard
- 2. Netzer 4. Popluhár 5. Bonhof 6. Suker 7. Sergio Ramos 8. Olivella 9. Jarni 10. Dasayev 11. Arnesen 12. Olsen

6. Stobzilla -
2. B.Charlton 3. Bican 4. Gascoigne 5. Brian Laudrup 6. Kuznetsov 7. Capdevila 8. Branko Stanković 9. Pešek 10. Brolin 11. Pfaff 12. Marchena

11. Theon & NM -
1. Matthäus 6. Burgnich 7. Stielike 8. Luigi Riva 9. Vukas 10. Hiden 11. Gordillo 12. Totti

13. big red123 -
1. Cruyff 2. Baresi 3. Stoichkov 4. Michael Laudrup 5. Koeman 6. Buzánszky 7. Grosics 8. Ladislav Novák 9. Guardiola 10. Djorkaeff 11. Giannini 12. Eilts.

14. Šjor Bepo & Physiocrat -
3. Hidegkuti 4. Ivanov 5. Giresse 6. Stam 7. Briegel 8. Busquets 9. G. Neville 10. Zoff 11. Podolski 12. Scholes.

15. ctp -
3. Ocwirk 4. Mazzola 5. Gerets 6. Lizarazu 7. Nausch 8. Iribar 9. Couto 11. Adams 12. Modrić.

16. PedroMendez -
3. Schmeichel 4. Netto 5. Bene 6. Schwarzenbeck 7. Silva 8. Smistik 9. Pires 10. Frank De Boer 11. Carbrini 12. Klinsmann.

Teams that went out in the quarterfinals:

1. crappycraperson - 1. Platini 2. Figo 3. Tigana 4. Tardelli 5. Krol 6. Antonin Puc 7. Planicka 8. Ceulemans 9. Vogts 10. Rosetta 11. Dellas 12. Marcos Senna 13. Scirea 14. Koscis

9. Aldo -
1. Xavi 2. Iniesta 3. Nedved 4. Lahm 5. Albert 6. Carvalho 7. Cocu 8. Bossis 9. Kaltz 10. Baros 11. Happel 12. Nielsen 13. Nesta 14. Monti

10. Raees & Gio -
1. Rijkaard 2. Facchetti 3. Kohler 4. Henry 5. Zebec 6. Hanappi 7. Beara 8. Hässler 9. Pirlo 10. Lerby 11. Ibrahimovic 12. Amoros 13. Beckenbauer 14. Luis Suárez

12. The Red Viper -
1. Gerd Müller 2. Sammer 3. Vieira 4. Shesternyov 5. Cannavaro 6. Piola 7. Rui Costa 8. Alonso 9. Rooney 10. Alba 11. Zeman 12. Srna. 13. Van Basten 14. Bozsik

harms

Staff
@The Stain

2. Edgar Allan Pillow & MJJ & coolredwine - 1. Puskás 2. Masopust 3. Gullit 4. Breitner 5. Deschamps 6. Sol Campbell 7. Schweinsteiger 8. Durkovic 9. Pepe 10. Schrojf 11. Hierro 12. Sneijder 13. Blanc 14. Kluivert 15. Van Basten

4. The Stain - 1. Zidane 2. Czibor 3. Amancio 4. Förster 5. Zagorakis 6. Shearer 7. Wimmer 8. Puyol 9. Combi 10. Zambrotta 11. Joao Pinto 12. Poborsky 13. Thuram 14. Davids

7. Joga Bonito - 1. Maldini 2. B.Moore 3. Sindelar 4. Bergomi 5. Effenberg 6. Pluskal 7. Hoeneß 8. Villa 9. Elkjær 10. McManaman 11. Demyanenko 12. Platzer 13. Rummenigge 14. Desailly

8. harms -
1. Dragan Džajić 2. Sárosi 3. Schuster 4. Voronin 5. Brehme 6. Ondruš 7. Bezsonov 8. Van Moer 9. Khurtsilava 10. Ivo Viktor 11. Chislenko 12. Pietro Rava 13. Meazza 14. Yashin

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Don't forget that you only get to pick one player ahead of the final by the way and that your opponent can in theory block your favourite pick. That should be important for your plans going forward.

harms

Staff
Don't forget that you only get to pick one player ahead of the final by the way and that your opponent can in theory block your favourite pick. That should be important for your plans going forward.
Missed the part about the blocking, brilliant!

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Missed the part about the blocking, brilliant!
In case someone else missed it, here's the part from the op about the reinforcement round for the final:

After the semifinal, the two finalists can only pick one player as a reinforcement and it'll be in a kinda sheep format (both managers send their picks to me - 3 attempts - and if they block each other, no one gets the player and he's dropped from the pool).

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
2. Edgar Allan Pillow & MJJ & coolredwine - 1. Puskás 2. Masopust 3. Gullit 4. Breitner 5. Deschamps 6. Sol Campbell 7. Schweinsteiger 8. Durkovic 9. Pepe 10. Schrojf 11. Hierro 12. Sneijder 13. Blanc 14. Kluivert 15. Van Basten

4. The Stain - 1. Zidane 2. Czibor 3. Amancio 4. Förster 5. Zagorakis 6. Shearer 7. Wimmer 8. Puyol 9. Combi 10. Zambrotta 11. Joao Pinto 12. Poborsky 13. Thuram 14. Davids 15. Beckenbauer

8. harms -

@Joga Bonito

harms

Staff
Surprising pick, I thought that you would go with someone else.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Nice.

Thuram's perfect there at right back, I think it will work great- it's pretty similar to what I attempted with Burgnich.

You've got a real variety of options for this next pick.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football

4. The Stain - 1. Zidane 2. Czibor 3. Amancio 4. Förster 5. Zagorakis 6. Shearer 7. Wimmer 8. Puyol 9. Combi 10. Zambrotta 11. Joao Pinto 12. Poborsky 13. Thuram 14. Davids 15. Beckenbauer

7. Joga Bonito - 1. Maldini 2. B.Moore 3. Sindelar 4. Bergomi 5. Effenberg 6. Pluskal 7. Hoeneß 8. Villa 9. Elkjær 10. McManaman 11. Demyanenko 12. Platzer 13. Rummenigge 14. Desailly 15. Platini

8. harms -
1. Dragan Džajić 2. Sárosi 3. Schuster 4. Voronin 5. Brehme 6. Ondruš 7. Bezsonov 8. Van Moer 9. Khurtsilava 10. Ivo Viktor 11. Chislenko 12. Pietro Rava 13. Meazza 14. Yashin 15.