The UEFA Euro Fantasy Draft

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
That is actually really quick.
Ffs, I edited it within a few seconds :mad:. Quoting shouldn't be alowed in the first 5 minutes, so that you have time to correct mistakes :lol:.

Annahnomoss

The matches and the reinforcement rounds all went rather quickly in my opinion. It never took more than a week for a round, if I'm not mistaken. The initial drafting took a while, that's always the case in a snake draft. But it's not really that much longer than in other formats, it just feels longer because the managers have a lot more to do in sheep drafts and auction drafts, while they mostly wait for their turn in snake drafts.

We started drafting on April 5th, 5 weeks and 1 day ago. The first sheep draft started Feb 8 and the final was played on Mar 17, which are about 5 weeks. The first auction draft started Mar 23 and the final was played on May 13, which is even longer than this draft. The World Cup draft started Dec 10th and the final was played on Feb 5th, now that took ages.

EAP's reality draft, which @Annahnomoss thought went really quickly, started on Sept 8 and the final was played on Okt 13. So if Joga had time to play today or tomorrow instead of Friday, this draft would have taken about the same time.
I got served! This draft has been smooth too. Probably just the initial waiting and the last round that made it feel like it wasn't one of the faster ones.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Wasn't meant as a dig at you, @Balu . Just wanted to get a feel for how long the drafts usually run. It's always fun until you get knocked out (although i enjoy the drafting a bit more than the matches, says the loser :wenger:). Enjoyed it while it lasted, good draft, some of the write-ups have been insane (aldo, joga, harms etc..).

Time to decide the next theme? https://www.redcafe.net/threads/next-draft-idea-discussion.403961/

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Wasn't meant as a dig at you, @Balu .
I didn't take it as a dig, no worries :). We had the discussion before that snake drafts take longer and just wanted to check if it's really true or not. There's not much difference between the formats, it mainly depends on how quickly the games are played. If each round is streched out over 2 or even more weeks because the managers can't agree on dates or don't have time, then it takes a lot longer.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The matches and the reinforcement rounds all went rather quickly in my opinion. It never took more than a week for a round, if I'm not mistaken. The initial drafting took a while, that's always the case in a snake draft. But it's not really that much longer than in other formats, it just feels longer because the managers have a lot more to do in sheep drafts and auction drafts, while they mostly wait for their turn in snake drafts.

We started drafting on April 5th, 5 weeks and 1 day ago. The first sheep draft started Feb 8 and the final was played on Mar 17, which are about 5 weeks. The first auction draft started Mar 23 and the final was played on May 13, which is even longer than this draft. The World Cup draft started Dec 10th and the final was played on Feb 5th, now that took ages.

EAP's reality draft, which @Annahnomoss thought went really quickly, started on Sept 8 and the final was played on Okt 13. So if Joga had time to play today or tomorrow instead of Friday, this draft would have taken about the same time.
All-time Fantasy draft, in snake format (13 players :eek: and then 3 more in the reinforcement snake, straight picks from rivals after)

16 Jan to 22 Feb including signup and with no pre-tourno thread working out rules and who is interested

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Sure. Would prefer earlier, but it's ok.

Who's your AM ('s)?

I expected you to go for a CM, tbf!
Looks like I might be a bit bogged down on Friday, would Thursday be fine with you EAP? If not Friday will have to do and I will try to make some time for it.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Looks like I might be a bit bogged down on Friday, would Thursday be fine with you EAP? If not Friday will have to do and I will try to make some time for it.
We have a Redcafe NY meetup tomorrow evening so may not post in the evenings. :D

But let's get this over with. I'll get something up and send to @Balu tonight after work. He can start it anytime tomorrow.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
We have a Redcafe NY meetup tomorrow evening so may not post in the evenings. :D

But let's get this over with. I'll get something up and send to @Balu tonight after work. He can start it anytime tomorrow.
Oh :(, hopefully one of your AMs are free during this timeframe. Do remember to get piss drunk and come back with tactical masterpieces like this one :p

Tactical Flexibility during Counters:

Annah is playing a direct attacking style. If he loses possession during an attack, my counter will be far swifter and has better chance at scoring.

With Keane being the only player moving up supporting the attack, McManaman will be perfectly placed to exploit the space behind. A quick pass by Scholes will have Brady moving to AM and Gazza moving up interfering both Slater and the CB. The one touch pass between them would definitely result in a goal. Not much chances of Hughes getting caught upfront alone.

Anyway good luck for the match tomorrow, looking forward to it.

@Balu

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich

Anyway good luck for the match tomorrow, looking forward to it.

@Balu
Can you guys send the write-ups, so that I can start the match before 9:30 British time? I might not be online after that all day.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
One of the greatest defensive midfielders to ever play in the CEIC, SVATOPLUK PLUSKAL

(clearly trumps Hanappi when it comes to thighs as well :p)

Forming an irrepressible engine-room tandem alongside Josef Masopust, Pluskal was the unyielding lynchpin in midfield who allowed Masopust the liberty to express his creative talents and the freedom to go on his mesmerising slaloming runs. The midfield colossus played an integral role in Czechoslovakia's run to the WC 1962 final - the first time an European team made the final on South American soil- where they eventually succumbed to Garrincha's wizardry.

One of Czechoslovakia's key players alongside Masopust, Novak and Popluhar in the late 50s and early 60s (where they won the CEIC and reached the final of WC 62) Pluskal was simply a irreplaceable cog of that Czechoslovakian machine.

Czechoslovakian national team coach Rudolf Vytlačil said:
Pluskal was the perfect player for 4-2-4 system. Like I said numerous times, if Svatu didn't exist it would be necessary to invent him. He was so tough, yet disciplined and responsible, both on and off the pitch. A players like him is born once in 20 years" (20 as a figure being used, to highlight the sincerity of his comments, rather than the obligatory and hollow platitude of once in a century player).
Dukla's manager Vejvoda Pluskalová said:
Svatopluk always played with full dedication, pacing the field with a wet shirt and he never ever backed down. He was reliable and completely fulfilled tactical requirements, like no one else. Most destroyers more often than not, focused on the 'destroying' aspect and either violated or neglected prescribed tactical guidelines. With Pluskal, it did not happen. He could hold his own in decisive moments and his teammates had full confidence in him right from the start. At times he would literally encircle his opponent and in the crucial window of time when it appeared that the attacker was going to escape, Pluskal will jump in with his foot and nip the ball away. Toiling tirelessly and being a reliable presence in the defensive play, he gave Masopust the ideal platform in order to develop strategic combinations. They could play together blind-folded
His status as one of the best centre-halves of his era was established by his appearance in the Rest of the World XI against England, in Wembley to commemorate the prestigious centenary year of English football. A quick look at the XI would be revealing (Yashin-Djalma Santos-Schnellinger-PLUSKAL-Popluhar-Masopust-Kopa-Denis Law-Di Stefano-Eusebio-Gento, with Puskas and Seeler on the bench); truly your cream of the crop bunch and not your average past it ceremonial XI. He once again figured in an Europe XI (featuring amongst the likes of Seeler and Eusebio) against Yugoslavia a year later, cementing his standing as a world class centre half.

His Central European International Cup exploits were incredible to say the least, for what is perhaps the best Czechoslovakian team of all time. Simply put, he did not lose a single game in the tournament; his individual record reads P8 W6 D2 L0. He played 7 games in Czechoslovakia's victorious campaign of the final version of the CEIC, whereby they pipped the legendary Mighty Magyars to the title by a single point. They only suffered a single defeat throughout the tournament, losing 1-3 to Hungary in their first encounter, a match in which, needless to say, Pluskal didn't feature. In the return fixture, Pluskal proved to be the difference as they inflicted the solitary defeat of Hungary's tournament, an encounter which would ultimately prove to be the match which determined the champions of the tournament.

Pluskal's left a lasting impression with his irrepressible gameplay and affable character. In 80's Czech football magazine made a football board game, where one of the squares was named "Pluskal's tackle" - his trade-mark sliding tackles were that famous. He was widely regarded by many as the inventor of slide-tackles, whether that is true or not, he truly was a connoisseur in the art of tackling.

Josef Masopust said:
He was the first player to use sliding tackles, despite the quality of the pitches being generally awful - there were less grass there than a barren wasteland - so his legs and hips were always in bruises and his skin torn off.
Legendary World cup winning manager Sepp Herberger said:
The quarterbacks from future generations can learn from Pluskal's highly effective manoeuvre - the slide tackle. This is Pluskal's contribution to football that will last forever. "
Teammate Ivo Viktor echoed Masopust's sentiments said:
Svat was unmatched in what he did best. He was perfect defensively, he had brilliant positioning, he could've jumped higher than his opponent (and not only in defence). Pluskal was famous for his tackling - he wasn't afraid to dive in and to kick the ball out. He was not afraid to take risks, even in training. Whilst others would have second thoughts on exposing their legs in a slide tackle in fear of a broken leg, Pluskal never seemed perturbed by it. He was like a mighty tree branch who played without fear of pain.
His bravery and unwavering dedication to his craft, meant that he was willing to literally put his body on the line to win the ball at any cost. In one game he played the last 20 minutes with an injured meniscus in his knee, after which he got on the train and went to his hometown to visit his family :lol:. There is also the anecdote whereby before the 1962 World Cup, they showed Pluskal's X-ray to the doctor, the doctor said: "Poor guy was in a wheel-chair for quite some time, wasn't he?" - "No, he is preparing for the World Cup as we speak".

He was also an integral presence in the dressing room with his wit and sense of humour defusing tension before high-pressure games. Before a tough game where everyone in the dressing room would be deadly serious discussing the upcoming game, Pluskal will quip - '"It's all right, I'll 'just' go ahead score 4 goals - and we all will get a well-deserved rest!". Before the game against Brazil in the 1962 WC, he walked into the Czech dressing room before proclaiming "Don't worry guys, they are afraid of us - I just saw Djalma Santos outside and he was all white".

After the 1962 World Cup he was very popular in Chile - and he received a letter, asking permission to name a newly founded club after him. He thought that it was some kids and agreed to it, never giving it a second thought. He returned to Chile three years later, and he was very surprised when he received an invitation - turns out it was a serious club, with a stadium, the whole town, lead by their mayor, came on the streets to greet him and every football player had "Pluskal" written on the back of their kit.

Highly respected by his peers, greatly feared by his opponents and playing his heart out on the pitch for his beloved Dukla and the Czechoslovakian national team, Pluskal was a truly legendary player, who had the perfect personality to go along with his uncompromising game.

"I knew in my career many outstanding players. Only one of them, however, named Svatopluk Pluskal." - Sir Stanley Matthews
Credit to @harms for some of the translation

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Moore in Euro 1968

PASSING

TACKLING/INTERCEPTIONS/HEADERS

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Will try to upload his highlights from tthe other match but I'm having issues with the time calibration (one second on the video player is 3-4 seconds in real time) :(.

Btw, after watching Moore and Maldini extensively after some time, you really can't help but be captivated by their smooth style of tackling every single time you watch them, like this for example.

Any other players who had a cultured style of tackling that you enjoy in particular? Rio springs to mind straight away in the modern era.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Thanks to everyone who participated for all the effort, which lead to some excellent discussions. The op of this thread contains all the relevant infos and links to all games, in case you want to look up one of the games. You can also get to this thread through the link at the top of each match thread. I think it's helpful, because most of us look up older drafts at one point for various reasons and for some reason the search function doesn't work as well as it should (or maybe I just suck at using it).

Also special thanks to @Rado_N & @Damien for the help with creating all the polls.

Moby

Dick
Thanks for hosting it Balu. Great draft and some great discussions about a lot of players who barely featured before. Very refreshing.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I seriously start to wonder if you're a bot or a real person. I actually have a bet running if it once takes more than 10 minutes until the poll is added (I can't say if I bet for or against you and Damien, that would spoil it of course. Three more games to go in this draft, should be interesting how it turns out.

Anyway, thanks again.
I don't think so. Damien once took exactly 10 minutes, after that one I made the bet. The last 4 matches, you needed 3, 8, 6 and again 3 minutes. You're awesome.
What bet was this btw?

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
Some amazing work has been done in the OP. Very impressive.

@Balu how about rounding it all off with an awards ceremony, with the standard ones like Golden Glove, Golden Boot, Golden Ball, Team of the Tournament, etc.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
What bet is this btw?
:lol:

Doesn't matter anymore. Damien ruined it once he gave me the right to create polls myself. So we never know how long it would have taken them to create the last two polls.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
@Balu how about rounding it all off with an awards ceremony, with the standard ones like Golden Glove, Golden Boot, Golden Ball, Team of the Tournament, etc.
@antohan is our "Technical Study Group" and already said he'll create a team of the tournament.

I'd say Schrojf is clearly the Golden Glove winner because of his amazing performance in the legendary penalty shootout against Raees. Van Moer definitely has to start in midfield. The other positions are open for discussion.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Thanks to everyone who participated for all the effort, which lead to some excellent discussions. The op of this thread contains all the relevant infos and links to all games, in case you want to look up one of the games. You can also get to this thread through the link at the top of each match thread. I think it's helpful, because most of us look up older drafts at one point for various reasons and for some reason the search function doesn't work as well as it should (or maybe I just suck at using it).

Also special thanks to @Rado_N & @Damien for the help with creating all the polls.
Great stuff Balu, a very enjoyable draft and you handled everything very fairly and ensured it ran smoothly - always the sign of a great Draftmaster.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Oh and cheers @Annahnomoss for co-hosting the draft and also for driving Balu up the wall with the endless name-dropping of unpicked players :lol:

Annahnomoss

Oh and cheers @Annahnomoss for co-hosting the draft and also for driving Balu up the wall with the endless name-dropping of unpicked players :lol:
The draft was going too good so I had to slightly poison it by dropping unpicked players. Congrats on the victory, well deserved after Theon's surprising first-round loss.

Hard to call it luck, but very fortunate to have built a perfect system for Sindelar and then get to pick up Platini who suited the exact same system. Platini in a near-perfect system in a Euro draft is just too much to overcome for the rest who did great too.

@Edgar Allan Pillow and his gang deserves a lot of credit too. The picking weren't there and I didn't like the team but somehow you squeezed through every round and suddenly you were the final. Not an easy thing to do, great job.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
The draft was going too good so I had to slightly poison it by dropping unpicked players. Congrats on the victory, well deserved after Theon's surprising first-round loss.

Hard to call it luck, but very fortunate to have built a perfect system for Sindelar and then get to pick up Platini who suited the exact same system. Platini in a near-perfect system in a Euro draft is just too much to overcome for the rest who did great too.

@Edgar Allan Pillow and his gang deserves a lot of credit too. The picking weren't there and I didn't like the team but somehow you squeezed through every round and suddenly you were the final. Not an easy thing to do, great job.
Aye, Platini transformed my team and managed to connect all the dots whilst truly bringing out the best in Elkenigge. Up until then I was more or less viewed as a reactive team with a great defense and a solid midfield (Effenberg-Pluskal), with speedy forwards in Elkjaer-Rummenigge all being connected by adequately Sindelar (don't think he got his fair due but it was hard to sell him due to a serious lack of footage). It all immediately changed immensely once I got Platini though.

It had to do with a fair bit of luck too since I never expected to pick up Platini after being the 3rd in reinforcements for that round but fortunately EAP had MvB-Puskas and The Stain already had Zidane, so it all worked out perfectly in the end.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
@Balu thanks for hosting! Brilliant draft and entertaining theme.

I hope that anto will spoil us with some post-draft resume

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich

Moby

Dick
Yeah that could be done, I was thinking what could be the 'default' proba for players who don't have the stats. Around 0.80-0.85 I think.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I don't like that it doesn't take the quality of the goalkeeper into account. It's all about the takers. If I have Goycochea in goal, I should have better odds than my opponent with some random average goalkeeper.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
TEAM OF THE DRAFT

Well, all those that went out in the first round and didn't get picked would have to be ignored.

You have to look primarily at the finalists (corrected to leave those with outstanding contribution):

2. Edgar Allan Pillow & MJJ & coolredwine - 1. Puskás 2. Masopust 3. Gullit 4. Breitner 13. Blanc 15. Van Basten 16. Matthäus

7. Joga Bonito - 1. Maldini 2. B.Moore 3. Sindelar 4. Bergomi 6. Pluskal 9. Elkjær 13. Rummenigge 14. Desailly 15. Platini 16. Luisito Suárez Miramontes 17. Brehme (previously at Team harms up to semi)

+ any players/unit that left their mark prior to that

4. The Stain – Czibor- Zidane - Amancio and Puyol-Forster

8. harms - Dragan Džajić - Sárosi – Meazza, Schuster and Yashin

Need at least three out of: Puskas, Masopust, Sindelar, Pluskal, Czibor, Amancio, Sarosi, Meazza and Yashin - easy

No more than two out of:
- Hungary: Puskas, Czibor, Sarosi
- France: Blanc, Desailly, Platini and Zidane (Platini eliminates Zidane)
- Italy: Maldini, Bergomi, Meazza
- Germany: Rummenigge, Brehme, Forster and Schuster

Best players for winner: Maldini-Moore-Bergomi and Platini-Elkenigge
Best players for runner-up: Blanc, Masopust and front trio (ouch! that's hard)
Most influential players in semifanlists: Zidane, Dzajic and Schuster

All considering Euro performances obviously, not just draft...

Goalkeeper: Yashin
Striker: Marco van Basten
Right-forward: Karl-Heinz Rummenigge
Left-forward: Dragan Dzajic
#10: Michel Platini
CM1: Masopust
CM2: You know what? Pluskal earned that carrying Joga's midfield heavylifting throughout.
LB: Maldini
LCB: Desailly
RCB: Should be Blanc, but two Frenchmen so it's Bergomi
RB: Need a more attacking one, which is why Bergomi goes to the CB pairing ahead of Moore. Brehme.

There's an argument for Gullit ahead of Kalle, which would allow Forster to slot into the defence ahead of Bergomi. My issue with that is I think Kalle works better with Platini than Gullit would. That's the only allowable variation I can see.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
That's lazy and boring. It doesn't really reward some of the more fascinating and surprising stories from the matches we had, like van Moer outplaying Matthäus or Schrojf being a hero in the penalty shootout. You're just picking the big names that went to the finals and a few fitting players from other teams to fill it up. You can do better than that.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
That's lazy and boring. It doesn't really reward some of the more fascinating and surprising stories from the matches we had, like van Moer outplaying Matthäus or Schrojf being a hero in the penalty shootout. You're just picking the big names that went to the finals and a few fitting players from other teams to fill it up. You can do better than that.
Tbf, anto did say he used the Euro performances rather than the draft performances alone.
All considering Euro performances obviously, not just draft...
If only draft performances were used then the likes of van Moer etc would be in there in all likelihood. So too would Elkjaer ahead of MvB who didn't have a great draft imo.

What would be your draft based TOTM btw?

Annahnomoss

Team of the tournament(for me)

Brehme was switched around even to the right and was unquestionable in every game. Maldini and Bergomi made out the central defense while also having to play in wide roles and they carried Joga Bonitos team all the way until Platini was brought in. Before that it was his perfect defense that could adjust tactically to counter every opponent that was his strength.

Durkovic featured all the way to the final, constantly criticized but somehow still there in the next game and he was never a weakness of any sort. Mr.Average for EAP, but as a late pick he proved his value by taking crap and getting over it all the way to the final.

van Moer went from unknown to unsullied and Harms great compilations and in depth discussions had us all believing his worth. He was an important piece in the team and it wasn't until the Semi Final that he finally came short. In an all-time Euro draft, that is some achievement from the 35 year old who was playing for Beringen at the time and wasn't included in the "official" team of the tournament in 1980.

Zagorakis is guaranteed a spot in the team of the tournament as well after performing for The Stain all the way up until the semi final. Next to Davids he epitomized destroyer football and his horrifying Euro performances, edged in the back of the eyelids so even closing your eyes can't make you forget it. Crucial member for The Stain and the manager showed great trust in him by picking him in the same round as others picked Brehme and Krol.

Masopust helped EAP survive against the odds match after match in what seemed to be a tactically off team. The Masopust Slalom was probably the most mentioned statement in the entire draft and when voters criticized Breitner for not providing width Masopust decided to take it in his own hands. The central midfielder who also did the role of a winger, could he do it? Probably not, but he did and it carried EAP to the final.

Up front there is no discussion about it, Platini dominated this Euro so much it looked like the real one. Nobody has ever reached his level in the Euro's and it showed when he got not just a perfect tactical setup around him, but top class players like Rummenigge and Elkjaer.

Dzajic proved to be the only winger in this draft with genuine star quality. He deserved to play in the final but he refused to sell himself for glory and decided to stay loyal to Harms who built his team around him. The fear factor around Dzajic was so great that Vogts got benched, no greater compliment can be paid than that.

On the right side we have Rummenigge who wasn't discussed too much, but he was that important piece of player that let Joga Bonito discuss and go in to depth about his other players who needed it the more. Every voter saw Rummenigge and there was no question about the fact that he'd play his role to absolute perfection and he provided stability and confidence for Jogas team.

Shrojf, saved a penalty or some shit like that.