All time British+Irish Fantasy Draft

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
i didn't vote in the semifinal for the team which had Shay Given! Shay Given for God's sake!!!
Good man! Early on, while watching us against Arsenal IIRC, I mused about whether this was the draft when keepers would finally be considered important.

MJJ

It's not about who are the best players but which would have performed exceptionally well in their setting. At RB Armfield and Mcgrain are the standouts but neither featured in the semis so out. Among those in the semis, Neville playing with Becks was in his element.

Robbo would have had to play out of his skin to win the games you did with Hoddle as his midfield partner. It wouldn't have been the best Robbo though, and he is English.
Ahhh gotcha. Was thinking you chose the team based on hypothetical performances for their respective draft sides.

:lol: I still cant believe I actually managed to win given how many mistakes I made while drafting in the first round. EAP fielding an ineligible player really won it for me as annah's side would have destroyed mine in the QF.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'd have Murdoch here instead of Souness - it's not fair to Skizzo's lions not to include anyone of them. Lennox had a great tournament but was benched for the final, Auld, sadly, cost them too many votes, but Murdoch was never questioned and orchestrated the play for the runners-up from the very beginning. Souness was impressive too, but I'd give Murdoch an edge because I want one of the trio in the team - it's only fair. You'd have to switch him with Stiles though and there won't be Gemmel-Burdoch reunion.

There is no bigger vote winner than Best in this draft.
Georgie on the other hand never fully recovered from his pub crawls with Gazza and wound up losing games with three different teams.
:lol:

I'm genuinely shocked though.

antohan

I'd have Murdoch here instead of Souness - it's not fair to Skizzo's lions not to include anyone of them. Lennox had a great tournament but was benched for the final, Auld, sadly, cost them too many votes, but Murdoch was never questioned and orchestrated the play for the runners-up from the very beginning. Souness was impressive too, but I'd give Murdoch an edge because I want one of the trio in the team - it's only fair. You'd have to switch him with Stiles though and there won't be Gemmel-Burdoch reunion.
Yeah, but then, Murdoch doesn't give you the opportunity to introduce the BotD awards, does he?

Annahnomoss

I'm genuinely shocked though.
Murdoch has to be in there instead of Souness. Unquestioned from game 1 to the final whereas Souness was sent out as well. Rest is spot on.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Murdoch instead of Stiles. Plenty questioned Stiles' all-round credentials when EAP was putting him forward for all-time British and Irish XIs. Murdoch, who never featured in a draft before, pretty much ran every game.

antohan

Murdoch has to be in there instead of Souness. Unquestioned from game 1 to the final whereas Souness was sent out as well. Rest is spot on.
Murdoch instead of Stiles. Plenty questioned Stiles' all-round credentials when EAP was putting him forward for all-time British and Irish XIs. Murdoch, who never featured in a draft before, pretty much ran every game.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, but you are still missing the point of ribbing EAP for nominating him. Souness was more than his on pitch performances, his transfer was a draft-changing milestone!!!!

harms

Staff
Yeah, yeah, yeah, but you are still missing the point of ribbing EAP for nominating him. Souness was more than his on pitch performances, he was a draft-changing milestone!!!!
It was a nice touch! And a brilliant post overall.

antohan

i didn't vote in the semifinal for the team which had Shay Given! Shay Given for God's sake!!!
Updated accordingly, question mark removed.

antohan

To: @crappycraperson @Gio @Lynk @Skizzo @Pat_Mustard @Raees @Edgar Allan Pillow @MJJ @manikandan nair @Barney @Joga Bonito @Annahnomoss @Stobzilla @Chesterlestreet @SirAF
Cc: @harms @PedroMendez @Balu @sajeev @Jammydodger7 @BigDunc9 @Cutch @VivaJanuzaj @Tompo @rpitroda @Isotope @Thisistheone

BOTD AWARD

The world-famous BOTD Award Ceremony is fast approaching and, as someone who has posted more than once on this thread, you have been invited to vote as part of our panel of experts. The organising committe was tempted to run a poll, but it would be a bit much.

The BOTD Award is an exclusive and prestigious award. It's not for the run-off-the-mill personalities but reserved only to those capable of the unthinkable. The Award was introduced all the way back in 1950 when Neil Franklin's move to Independiente Santa Fé was narrowly defeated by Jules Rimet emerging from the Maracaná changing rooms, cup in hand, looking for the Brazilian captain. The winner though, by a landslide, was the Major of Rio de Janeiro for his pre-WC Final address to the players. In 1954 Sepp Herberger won it after building his team around a player who only played well when it rained. Voting closed before the final. Other award-winners include Kevin "Love It" Keegan, Alan "Kids" Hansen and Steven "Slippy" Gerrard.

In this edition, we will crown one of the most accomplished brainfarters in history, with an unprecedented three out of three nominations a feat that will take tremendous application to supersede.

The nominees are:

1) Edgar Allan Pillow - for "Inelligible team" - while Michael Owen is half Welsh, the rules were clear in that he wasn't a straight swap for Sparky Hughes. He was brought on to play out a won game, on the counter, but resulted in docked points and the loss of first place. The latter favoured a still makeshift Team MJJ, the eventual winners, who avoided certain early elimination at the hands of Team Annah.

2) Edgar Allan Pillow - for "Gift-wrapping Souness" - again, with Team MJJ now qualified for the semis, Edgar bails MJJ out of an unwanted high bid on Best, opening the door for him to get the reinforcements needed: a RW and a striker or midfielder for even less money. Matthews joined on the cheap, Law was still unattainable and, with no nominations left and MJJ/mani up shit creek, Edgar throws them a lifeline by nominating the best remaining midfielder in the draft even when he couldn't buy him and didn't need him.

3) Edgar Allan Pillow - for "Suicidal starting lineup" - after ignoring the need for a top marksman, Pillow decides to add a tiny bit more firepower at the expense of having Paul Scholes in midfield, leaving Nobby Stiles to do all the defending against a midfield of Lisbon Lions and 2002 BOTD winner Roy "Saipan" Keane (his "TCs Garden" nomination will feature in 2015). Baffled travelling fans had been noticing the unorthodox formation in training and had put forward their concerns at the team hotel only to be told:

DISCLAIMER: BOTD does not condone and cannot be held responsible for the actions of others. Mr. Pillock, sorry, Pillow, is under investigation and facing match-fixing allegations. BOTD has at no point promoted such outcomes and were Mr. Pillow to be found guilty he would be dispossessed of his award as it would not be the result of a genuine brainfart but a calculated one. The award would then go to the fourth nominee MJJ for "Picking more support strikers and AMs than can fit in two teams" fka "The Isotope"

PLEASE REPLY POSTING YOUR NAME UNDER THE DESIRED OPTION - ALSO FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH US YOUR FAVOURITE BOTD WINNERS OF AGES PAST

1) Edgar Allan Pillow - for "Inelligible team"

2) Edgar Allan Pillow - for "Gift-wrapping Souness"
antohan

3) Edgar Allan Pillow - for "Suicidal starting lineup"

Last edited:

sajeev

All 3 nominations for BotD are equally classic (I missed the middle of the draft)

harms

Staff
PLEASE REPLY POSTING YOUR NAME UNDER THE DESIRED OPTION - ALSO FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH US YOUR FAVOURITE BOTD WINNERS OF AGES PAST

harms

antohan

crappy

antohan

- Trinity together again.
- Scholes Stiles running the midfield.
- Two of the best wingers in this draft.
- Rock solid defence. You can play Charles i/o McGrath, but I think Paul shades it a bit.

You missed the point. It's not an ideal draft XI but the Team of the Draft, performance-based. Forlán got Golden Ball in WC2010 but nobody could seriously argue he belonged in the current World XI.

antohan

Can we once again revel in @Cutch 's glorious two-German keeper selection for his all-time nations draft XI?
Of course, that's the point of inviting (made-up) past winners, be it from drafts or assorted football brainfarts. I actually had quite a bit of fun trying to work out a few for the 1950 and 1954 seasons. The more obscure/ridiculous the better.

Also, Maier actually got into the All-Time Final XI despite not playing in it ;)

Annahnomoss

I really think I deserve to be in there in the feck ups for how this draft went. By far the best team I ever assembled for a draft and got shot out in the quarter finals after a good draw for me. Really strong performance there by EAP, using every trick in the book but understandably so.

Don't think anybody thought he'd sneak through but he really controlled the mind of the voters like not many managers has done before.

Not that he is proud of the manners he did it, but the results were there for everybody to see. Why I didn't want no second chance for penalties, I was impressed myself and he simply had to go through.

Annahnomoss

It was all for nothing. Still kicking myself for the abysmal performance next game.
I am sure I speak for all the drafters when I say we take that very personal and we are very upset. A win in a draft on the best damn United forum in English is worth nothing huh?

antohan

I really think I deserve to be in there in the feck ups for how this draft went. By far the best team I ever assembled for a draft and got shot out in the quarter finals after a good draw for me. Really strong performance there by EAP, using every trick in the book but understandably so.

Don't think anybody thought he'd sneak through but he really controlled the mind of the voters like not many managers has done before.

Not that he is proud of the manners he did it, but the results were there for everybody to see. Why I didn't want no second chance for penalties, I was impressed myself and he simply had to go through.
Seems he controlled yours with that silly "voting to get voted out" stunt and refusing penalties.

antohan

I think you had a mishap that rivalled me pal. You're lucky i let you off the hook or you would have had Buffon upfront in the decades draft against me ;)

Keep them coming!

And Merry XMAS to you all :D

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

antohan
Pat_Mustard

:lol::lol::lol:

Its possible I may still be extremely bitter about No. 2, and that Edgar may have ruined Christmas for Pat and Skizzo.

All-time G.O.A.T BOTD winners? That Gandalf fella was a sensation in the first auction draft. IIRC he:

1) Bid over the odds for Adriano.
2) Except it wasn't even the real Adriano that he thought he was bidding for, but the Barcelona utility man/non-entity.
3) Announced he had to go on an unplanned 2 week vacation in the middle of drafting
4) I'm unsure about this bit, but he might have actually been demoted to the newbies for general ineptitude in the middle of the draft.

Legend.

Also, Happy Christmas lads!

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
In this edition, we will crown one of the most accomplished brainfarters in history, with an unprecedented three out of three nominations a feat that will take tremendous application to supersede.
That still was a semi's team that lose a comeback by 2 votes. Some credit for that! :p

1) Bid over the odds for Adriano.
2) Except it wasn't even the real Adriano that he thought he was bidding for, but the Barcelona utility man/non-entity.
That was hilarious :lol: I remember he had almost all roles except for GK covered for him. Talk about versatile!