The Euro Draft - QF - Team EAP vs Raees

Judged on the Euro performances, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
:lol:is like watching a professional wrestling match where everyone standing in the corner of the two participants just decide to join in.

Not sure what Carles Puyol is doing in there.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
What's happening here? I'm completely lost. Why does @MJJ quote some EAP message to answer Annah when EAP is here?

antohan

It's great stuff. None of this nicey "after you sir" etiquette we've come to expect recently in the draft.
You finally own up. You miss me. I could tell from the paranoia on "cheap shots to deflect the attention and score early votes" :angel:

Annahnomoss

I dislike the henry and ibrahimovic partnership, nothing like the henry bergkamp duo.. Ibrahimovic is extremely selfish and lazy. Bergkamp loved to assist goals as much as scoring them Ibrahimovic wants the headlines himself which will tamper with henrys performances..
This is a joke right? Ibrahimovic is a playmaking striker, he had as many assists and goals in exactly as many matches as Messi last year. But I guess you think Messi is a selfish skank as well without an eye for a pass. Ibrahimovic was the top assist provider in the CL two years ago, ahead of Messi.

Ibrahimovic was constantly criticized for being too unselfish up until 2012, it was something he had to work on as he constantly wanted to be involved with beautiful link up play or provide a magical dribbling run instead. Before that he was primarily a playmaker who was too unselfish to be a great player.

Ibrahimovic doesn't run a lot, there is no denying that. But he runs more or less the same amount as Messi as well, which is why Henry is such a great fit for him. Henry runs, dribbles, provides penetration while still being intelligent and technical enough to play on Ibrahimovic level.

Also Ibrahimovic is always hugely successful in new teams and setups, he's usually at his absolutely most motivated self just as he arrives to a new club or the club changes ideas/manager. That is when he wants to prove himself and hits his peak form, which is the exact environment of these drafts.

Ibra's personality problems is always long term stuff, rarely does he fall out with players early on.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Henry is getting way overrated here (as usual).. I guess I am leaning towards Edgar because I am simply don't rate the front due of Raees+Gio as much as others. @Annahnomoss has ran a very good campaign of getting everyone to overrate Zlatan (similar to @Balu with Boateng, we will see how good he is when he shows up against the Barca trio), in past few months in every draft thread you have him quoting some magic stat of Ibra.

Their defense is much better than Edgar but it needs to be given they are facing a much better attacking trio. Edgar's weak defense is some what offset by that midfield and that forward duo of Raees and Gio.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Well, Italy except Maldini did feck all defensively. Tbh, imo if you look truly only at Euro peaks, the only two defenders who stand above all are Maldini and Blanc...and you are facing Blanc.

Can I ask how exactly do you expect to stop puskas given that zebec's yugo conceded loads of goals against weaker strikers?
Blanc was also part of the team that won Euro 2000 during which, despite having been criticised for his age and lack of speed during the qualifications...

So whilst he came good during the finals, he was already on his last legs. A year later he was at 35 years of age, making his presence felt at Manchester United.

He doesn't fear me and Maldini and Blance being above all others is a joke of a statement, when Facchetti led Italy to Euro 1968 glory as captain and we have the likes of Beckenbauer in our side.

MJJ

Blanc was also part of the team that won Euro 2000 during which, despite having been criticised for his age and lack of speed during the qualifications...

So whilst he came good during the finals, he was already on his last legs. A year later he was at 35 years of age, making his presence felt at Manchester United.

He doesn't fear me and Maldini and Blance being above all others is a joke of a statement, when Facchetti led Italy to Euro 1968 glory as captain and we have the likes of Beckenbauer in our side.
If that was blanc's only contribution I would be worried, yes. Kinda like amoros, did feck all in euro but gets picked because of his name. Similarly with zebec I suppose.

Breitner/Facchetti are around the same level so that cancels out a bit. You do have a better defense but only because you have an extra man in there which is made up for by us having an extra attacking. Having no specific plans for one of the GOATs is a dangerous strategy imho.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Henry is getting way overrated here (as usual).. I guess I am leaning towards Edgar because I am simply don't rate the front due of Raees+Gio as much as others. @Annahnomoss has ran a very good campaign of getting everyone to overrate Zlatan (similar to @Balu with Boateng, we will see how good he is when he shows up against the Barca trio).

Their defense is much better than Edgar but it needs to be given they are facing a much better attacking trio. Edgar's weak defense is some what offset by that midfield and that forward duo of Raees and Gio.
Crappy you're talking to a guy who hates his own strike force. I can't stand Henry - think he's a cnut who didn't hit the heights he should as a big time striker and same goes for Zlatan, in my opinion a flat track bully.

That said, in euros they're a completely different entity. I remember watching the Euro 2000 final clip and I was stunned like damn is that what Henry was capable of in a big game and Zlatan was at his monstrous best in European championships, he actually fecking delivered in this tournament.

Please watch the Euro 2000 final clip of Henry before you make that overrating comment because trust me I don't blame you for saying that in the first instance #henryhaterzunitexox

Annahnomoss

Henry is getting way overrated here (as usual).. I guess I am leaning towards Edgar because I am simply don't rate the front due of Raees+Gio as much as others. @Annahnomoss has ran a very good campaign of getting everyone to overrate Zlatan (similar to @Balu with Boateng, we will see how good he is when he shows up against the Barca trio).

:lol: I don't even like Zlatan even if I watch every game of his and have done for a decade. @The Stain has probably seen even more of him then me or at least as much, so it will be interesting to see what he says on the subject that Ibrahimovic is bad at making assists.

The only time I talk about Zlatan is if someone is straight up wrong or lying, like Berbasloth(who didn't lie but was wrong) here who claimed Ibrahimovic and Bergkamp differed because the latter liked making assists too.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
What the feck's going on here? At least some action in a game, finally :D.

What's wrong in the op? What do you want me to do?
Too late, nothing haha.. just sit back and enjoy Draftmaster.

antohan

The statement was correct, as a defender. Beckenbauer and Facchetti obviously had other stuff in their locker.

It's a bit out of order that you keep emphasising the old Blanc when he was in the ToTT three times, he had far more pace in 1992 and was imperious in 1996.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
The statement was correct, as a defender. Beckenbauer and Facchetti obviously had other stuff in their locker.

It's a bit out of order that you keep emphasising the old Blanc when he was in the ToTT three times, he had far more pace in 1992 and was imperious in 1996.
Apologies, I was unaware he was being included for his performances in those tournaments hence my exclusive reference to Euro 2000.

Annahnomoss

Crappy you're talking to a guy who hates his own strike force. I can't stand Henry - think he's a cnut who didn't hit the heights he should as a big time striker and same goes for Zlatan, in my opinion a flat track bully.

That said, in euros they're a completely different entity. I remember watching the Euro 2000 final clip and I was stunned like damn is that what Henry was capable of in a big game and Zlatan was at his monstrous best in European championships, he actually fecking delivered in this tournament.

Please watch the Euro 2000 final clip of Henry before you make that overrating comment because trust me I don't blame you for saying that in the first instance #henryhaterzunitexox
Zlatan was playing at the same level he has done since 2012, he wasn't hitting some peak form that exceeded what he did for Milan, PSG and Sweden after that. 2011-12 was the turning point for him, when Allegri finally got through to him and told him to be more of a goalscorer. He went from being an overrated(especially by himself) clown to being extremely effective.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Zlatan was playing at the same level he has done since 2012, he wasn't hitting some peak form that exceeded what he did for Milan, PSG and Sweden after that. 2011-12 was the turning point for him, when Allegri finally got through to him and told him to be more of a goalscorer. He went from being an overrated(especially by himself) clown to being extremely effective.
I agree especially for Sweden. I still don't like him outside the context of a Euro draft however but even I have to bow down to his excellence in this event.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout

I have seen the clip. I still don't think that is Henry at his absolute peak, that peak was for Arsenal, I don't think he ever played at his absolute best for France, Euros 2000 included. Sol and Blance is still a very good CB duo. Sol pretty much carried Terry during 2004 euros.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I have seen the clip. I still don't think that is Henry at his absolute peak, that peak was for Arsenal, I don't think he ever played at his absolute best for France, Euros 2000 included. Sol and Blance is still a very good CB duo. Sol pretty much carried Terry during 2004 euros.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2004_Group_B#France_vs_England

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2004_Group_B#Croatia_vs_England

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season...82/match=1059188/postmatch/lineups/index.html

So in 3 games out of 5 England conceded 2 goals in each game against decent opponents, his only clean sheet was against Switzerland. I think Sol was more solid in World cup 98/2002.

Henry in that final is the best big match performance I have ever seen from him and the only comparable one on a similar stage is the CL final of 2006 and his performances v Real Madrid that same season.

Yes his overall peak was later, but his one off best performance is that game for me considering the context and quality of defensive opponents.

Annahnomoss

I agree especially for Sweden. I still don't like him outside the context of a Euro draft however but even I have to bow down to his excellence in this event.
:lol: What I am saying is that he's not any better in the Euro's than outside of it. England had Lescott and Terry as central defenders, France had Rami and Mexes and Ukraine had Mykhaluk and Khacheridi. These aren't better CB pairings than he's performed against in the Champions League, and Ligue 1 has better CB pairings too than the latter two especially.

He did play very good in all his Euro games, he was included in the team of the tournament even if his team finished last - I am not sure if that has ever happened before? But primarily I think he's easier for this draft because of his tactical difference.

For Sweden/Milan he played in a 4-4-1-1 a role where he loved to burst out wide and bully his opponents to get the ball - similar to Rooney in Euro '04. That alone adds a lot of off the ball running from him, in compared to in a regular draft where he's more of a pure playmaking striker for a 4-3-3.

In that role you shouldn't run too much even if you can as you have a position to hold which Messi has showed as well. Messi in that role wasn't bursting out wide or in to openings even if he could do that with ease back then.

berbasloth4

:lol: I don't even like Zlatan even if I watch every game of his and have done for a decade. @The Stain has probably seen even more of him then me or at least as much, so it will be interesting to see what he says on the subject that Ibrahimovic is bad at making assists.

The only time I talk about Zlatan is if someone is straight up wrong or lying, like Berbasloth(who didn't lie but was wrong) here who claimed Ibrahimovic and Bergkamp differed because the latter liked making assists too.
This is based on his euro performances?? He has 13 assists in his whole international career. He is a greedy player, in 2004 Henrik Larsson made him look better than he was.. I have watched enough to know this.. He is not like bergkamp where he will look to get the ball to henry indirectly or directly, ibrahimovic loves his name in lights so if there is a chance to smash one from 20+ yards or pass to a team mate he usually go himself.. Just my opinion..

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
:lol: What I am saying is that he's not any better in the Euro's than outside of it. England had Lescott and Terry as central defenders, France had Rami and Mexes and Ukraine had Mykhaluk and Khacheridi. These aren't better CB pairings than he's performed against in the Champions League, and Ligue 1 has better CB pairings too than the latter two especially.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2004_Group_C#Italy_vs_Sweden

Scores against a world class defence with a world class goal...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2008_Group_D#Sweden_vs_Spain

Scores against the eventual winners...

He has much better big match pedigree in this tournament than usual in my opinion.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
On Zebec, he played CB against Austria in 1958 in the CEI Cup. And then against France in the 1960 semi-final. Number 5, that was the central position in Yugoslavia's back three.
Yugoslavia vs Austria - 30Oct95 - Just checking this against the CEIC link someone provided in the main thread. Belin, Zekovic & Boskov were the defenders in the back 3. Link doesn't work on laptop so not able to post here. Check in IC-6.

Against France, it is well noted he was played as a 'Withdrawn Centre Forward' with specific man marking task of taking out Kopa.

Sorry, I'm not convinced he played in defence at all for the national team, more so in Euros.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Errr, chaps, I'm not one to usually make an issue of this but do we have five managers arguing?
The multiple AM model is unconstitutional. Some kind of politburo ganging up on a poor fecker – can't have that.

Still, the other side operates with multiple representatives too – so, well. I prefer two managers arguing against each other – with input from more or less educated (and sober minded) observers. Thing is – I do like to keep an eye on how the managers argue. That can tip the scales when it's tight going. And it goes right out the window when there's a whole gang of 'em about.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
:lol: Don't you dare talk shit about Zlatan!

Will have a look at this tonight, will be tight for sure.

Annahnomoss

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2004_Group_C#Italy_vs_Sweden

Scores against a world class defence with a world class goal...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2008_Group_D#Sweden_vs_Spain

Scores against the eventual winners...

He has much better big match pedigree in this tournament than usual in my opinion.
Not sure how this works in this draft, but I assume you can't cherry pick the moments you want from each Euro and then combine some super player based on that. If you want to refer to his Euro in '04 and '08 then you have to make an average out of all his matches there too, in which case his '12 average is a lot higher.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Not sure how this works in this draft, but I assume you can't cherry pick the moments you want from each Euro and then combine some super player based on that. If you want to refer to his Euro in '04 and '08 then you have to make an average out of all his matches there too, in which case his '12 average is a lot higher.
No I am not, but merely proving that had Sweden been allowed to progress in '12, he clearly wouldn't have been found wanting against the big teams like he normally is in CL.. he has more confidence in this event.

MJJ

We have already responded on these points earlier in the thread, the Zebec point has been exhausted.
You said he played as a CB in this match and the ciec match. Am trying to double check that match but its clearly stated he played as a forward in this one? Which counters your original post.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Errr, chaps, I'm not one to usually make an issue of this but do we have five managers arguing?
I was told to be quiet and enjoy the draft from outside. As long as none of the kids starts crying, they can play by their own rules. I'm good with that.