g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming Sign-ups closed - The Europa Universalis 4 Experiment

nimic

something nice
Scout
Wow, I only asked for Sardinia. My empire has already more than doubled! Maybe I was being too small minded with vineyards and olive groves...

Out of curiosity, is there a general 'meta' with how this game plays out? I nearly picked up this game a while back when I was playing Civ VI
Like the game in general? It's hard to explain, Paradox basically has a monopoly with these kinds of games. It's a grand strategy like Civ, but it's a lot more detailed and active in some sense (not necessarily harder, but probably harder to start out). It's technically turn based, since you can (and will) pause to do stuff, but every day is a turn (in this game, different in their other ones) and you usually let it run. You play the country, there's armies, navies, diplomacy, religion, colonization, that sort of thing.

It's fun, but EU4 is also their oldest active game so there's a lot of DLC. Like, if you're getting into it I just recommend doing their subscription service where you get all the DLC (but it's a subscription, of course). Buying all the DLC feels okay if you do it over a decade, but buying it all at once would be nasty.

nimic

something nice
Scout
  • Where do you want your capital (either a specific province or a general area - you can use this if you want to. Please spread around a bit. If you all pick England I am going to make you tiny. If you don't care I can choose. @Welsh Wonder has already claimed Wales, for some reason) Reykjavik
  • What are one or two things you want your country to be good at? (I'll try to pick a couple of national ideas to match) War and manufacturing
  • What colour do you want on the map? (there are 100 to pick from but there's no RGB or Hex or anything, so I'll just try to eyeball it and make sure there's a bit of variation) Purple
  • The name of your ruler (the dynasty will be your nickname, we'll see if there are any dynasties left by the time we're done) King Cantona the Cantanoise of Cantanoisien
Sorry, I had to give Reykjavik to @Organic Potatoes to make it work! Also I can already tell that that name is going to be too long to fit in the box :lol:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
  1. Where do you want your capital (either a specific province or a general area - you can use this if you want to. Please spread around a bit. If you all pick England I am going to make you tiny. If you don't care I can choose. @Welsh Wonder has already claimed Wales, for some reason) - I will take North Africa
  2. What are one or two things you want your country to be good at? (I'll try to pick a couple of national ideas to match) - Naval and Trade
  3. What colour do you want on the map? (there are 100 to pick from but there's no RGB or Hex or anything, so I'll just try to eyeball it and make sure there's a bit of variation) - Hot Pink/Rainbow
  4. The name of your ruler (the dynasty will be your nickname, we'll see if there are any dynasties left by the time we're done) Nelstobz Manzilla
Hello @nimic

May I be a prick and change my starting point to the north of Africa please? I was flipflopping on them but have bottled it and would like Africa.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Hello @nimic

May I be a prick and change my starting point to the north of Africa please? I was flipflopping on them but have bottled it and would like Africa.
Damn you but also yes. Whereabouts? Like Tunisia, or Egypt, or Morocco?

Edit: I put you in Tunis, the northernost of North Africa.

Last edited:

AnotherLondonManc

Like the game in general? It's hard to explain, Paradox basically has a monopoly with these kinds of games. It's a grand strategy like Civ, but it's a lot more detailed and active in some sense (not necessarily harder, but probably harder to start out). It's technically turn based, since you can (and will) pause to do stuff, but every day is a turn (in this game, different in their other ones) and you usually let it run. You play the country, there's armies, navies, diplomacy, religion, colonization, that sort of thing.

It's fun, but EU4 is also their oldest active game so there's a lot of DLC. Like, if you're getting into it I just recommend doing their subscription service where you get all the DLC (but it's a subscription, of course). Buying all the DLC feels okay if you do it over a decade, but buying it all at once would be nasty.
Are there victory conditions, or does the game just play out and you make your empire as prosperous as possible until you've had enough?

nimic

something nice
Scout
Are there victory conditions, or does the game just play out and you make your empire as prosperous as possible until you've had enough?
Let's put it this way, I'm not sure I've ever played a game from 1444 to 1821. There are scores, but it's mostly a make-your-own-goals kind of game. An ultimate goal is a world conquest of course, but that's very hard (even if some people can do it from the worst possible starting positions). It's also tedious, so I've never even tried it in EU4. Maybe you want to colonize America, or form Prussia or Germany, or Russia, or just do whatever.

Edit: I should add, you can play any country in the world, not just European ones (despite the name, since it started out as just Europe in the first one).

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
I'm in

@nimic what's free in the Balkans? Or Denmarky area
Denmark itself is taken (and now ruled from Norway, as it should be), but I can fit a country in Germany just south-west of that. I could also maybe fit a country around Bulgaria/Hungary. Or even between V.O. and Denis79 (check the map on the last page), but it would be a long weird country. But all countries are born different.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Denmark itself is taken (and now ruled from Norway, as it should be), but I can fit a country in Germany just south-west of that. I could also maybe fit a country around Bulgaria/Hungary. Or even between V.O. and Denis79 (check the map on the last page), but it would be a long weird country. But all countries are born different.
Sure slot me in

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
  • Where do you want your capital (either a specific province or a general area - you can use this if you want to. Please spread around a bit. If you all pick England I am going to make you tiny. If you don't care I can choose. @Welsh Wonder has already claimed Wales, for some reason) Reykjavik
  • What are one or two things you want your country to be good at? (I'll try to pick a couple of national ideas to match) War and manufacturing
  • What colour do you want on the map? (there are 100 to pick from but there's no RGB or Hex or anything, so I'll just try to eyeball it and make sure there's a bit of variation) Purple
  • The name of your ruler (the dynasty will be your nickname, we'll see if there are any dynasties left by the time we're done) King Cantona the Cantanoise of Cantanoisien
buddy i already have purple so can you just feck off?

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Okay, this is how Europe looks so far. Borders are subject to change if I need to fit someone in. All countries have roughly the same "value", some just look bigger because some provinces are physically bigger, and some provinces are just more worth than others. So right now there's lots of space left in France, the Netherlands (high value provinces), Germany, North Africa and Eastern Europe. I could also fit someone into Italy, Greece, etc. Still plenty of spots left if anyone wants to get in. I'm not going to start running it today, probably.

Presume you're re-uploading a new one each time as the claims come in? Could you threadmark it?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
  1. Where do you want your capital (either a specific province or a general area - you can use this if you want to. Please spread around a bit. If you all pick England I am going to make you tiny. If you don't care I can choose. @Welsh Wonder has already claimed Wales, for some reason) Bohemia or Saxony or any other Holy Roman Empire remnant city-state
  2. What are one or two things you want your country to be good at? (I'll try to pick a couple of national ideas to match) Vice central (the equivalent of Vegas/Monaco), tax evasion, secret banks, coin minting
  3. What colour do you want on the map? (there are 100 to pick from but there's no RGB or Hex or anything, so I'll just try to eyeball it and make sure there's a bit of variation) Gold or dull yellow
  4. The name of your ruler (the dynasty will be your nickname, we'll see if there are any dynasties left by the time we're done) Albert IX

Wing Attack Plan R

This might not work, but if it doesn't I'm going to blame the participants, delete the thread and never speak about it again.

I'm going to try something in the vein of my old Football Manager Experiments, but with another game. The game is Europa Universalis 4, a grand strategy game. This is basically what it looks like:

It's basically an imperialism and religious war simulator, which seems right up RedCafe's alley. The world is divided into provinces with varying values (and cultures, religions, etc), and as time progresses the world changes, with new technology and new fancy stuff like colonizing - but not explicitly genociding - other parts of the world.

My plan is that I add everyone who wants to participate as a country in Europe (including Turkey, North Africa and I guess the Levant), where the country name is the person's name on RedCafe (to make it easier to figure out who is doing what). Then I let the game run itself and do regular updates, perhaps every 50 years (the game runs from 1444 to 1821), and I'm thinking maybe small updates in between (just a screenshot of something and a sentence about what is going on). Unlike the old FM Experiments I'm not going to do regular individual updates for everyone (just an initial one), and there's less information to add, so I don't have to limit it too much. The size of the country (number of provinces) will basically depend on how many people sign up (and which provinces you get, since good provinces are worth more).

Every nation in this game has its own national ideas, basically the thing that makes them different from everyone else. There are way too many possible ideas to make you guys pick, so at least this time I'm just going to mostly randomize a set of ideas when I create your countries. It's not going to be balanced. This being Europe in the 15th century, some of you are going to get conquered, maybe a lot of you by the time the game ends. This is more of a test, so I'm not going to need as much information as with the FM Experiments.

Here's what I need from you, if you want to see your virtual self wage war on a fellow Cafite (or maybe marry them):
  1. Where do you want your capital (either a specific province or a general area - you can use this if you want to. Please spread around a bit. If you all pick England I am going to make you tiny. If you don't care I can choose. @Welsh Wonder has already claimed Wales, for some reason)
  2. What are one or two things you want your country to be good at? (I'll try to pick a couple of national ideas to match)
  3. What colour do you want on the map? (there are 100 to pick from but there's no RGB or Hex or anything, so I'll just try to eyeball it and make sure there's a bit of variation)
  4. The name of your ruler (the dynasty will be your nickname, we'll see if there are any dynasties left by the time we're done)

I guess add yourself to this list? I added a few people who expressed interest already. If they withdraw that interest I'll still add them but make their countries really bad. We can do like 30, easily. More if there's demand.
  1. BD - Lisboa
  2. Dr. Dwayne - Kolberg
  3. Crackers - Porto
  4. Solius - Madrid
  5. altodevil - Lothian
  6. Welsh Wonder - Morgannwg
  7. Vidyoyo - Stockholm
  8. Samid - Vilnius
  9. Abizzz - Baden
  10. V.O - Inntal
  11. P-Nut - Verona
  12. Denis79 - Bosnia
  13. hobbers - Constantinople
  14. VeevaVee - Roma
  15. KirkDuyt - Den Haag
  16. PSV - Warszawa
  17. Eboue - Paris
  18. Salt Bailly - X
  19. Organic Potatoes - Cork
  20. RedSky - Bordeaux
  21. Dan - Dresden
  22. Grib - Athens
  23. Igor Drefljak - Agdesiden
  24. AnotherLondonManc - Càller
  25. Stobzilla - Tunis
  26. BootsyCollins - Nyland
  27. adexkola - Dortmund
  28. x
  29. x
  30. x
Here's a map of the currently taken capitals.

Can I play?
I’d like København.
Radioactive green.
I want us to be good at mechanical engineering and medicine.
our supreme ruler is Scarlet Johansson.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Updated current map. Still spots left in Germany, Swizterland/France/Netherlands/Italy-ish, Russia/Ukraine/Finland-ish, Northern Africa and maybe Turkey/Greece?

Can we all agree to feck @Vidyoyo to bits seeing as he takes up half the map? Pretty sure that isn’t how this works but let’s agree anyway. All in favour say aye.