The extent of Liverpool's lack of success

Green_Red

Arent they top of the kms run in training league though? Damn impressive that one.

TheReligion

Abusive
No I said they weren't the only important factor. The higher the league position the better for a fan, regardless of CL. a) The fan gets to witness more wins and less losses and b) they have bragging rights over teams below them.

As for 'trophy haul', there's 90 teams in the Football League, most of them won't get any trophies. They still show up, enjoy the team and enjoy the wins and a game of football because they're genuine supporters. As opposed to the many glory supporters of 'big teams' who were there for the bandwagon glory, ie trophies and want to mock fans of other clubs and when their team doesn't achieve as much because they didn't jump on a glory bandwagon. And then whine and demand their managers or players are thrown under the bus when they don't get their instant gratification. I'm not saying that's unique to United, Liverpool had their bandwagon jumpers in the 80s and Arsenal have their share join to in the 90s.
You're being deliberately obtuse.

It was stated that a clubs success is measured by its honours list yet you feel thinking that way indicates a glory hunter mentality. It doesn't. It's just a fact.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I must admit, I have taken a rather quiet personal pleasure in seeing mishap after mishap, perverse as it may be. Oh who am I kidding, I've loved it!

I'm the same too. I completely discount the fact that City won it simply because, for me at lest, the entire story centers around Liverpool slipping up that badly.
I genuinely forgot which one of Chelsea and City won the league that season until you've mentioned it.

Cantona_Forever

Genuine question to United fans, top 4 or FA Cup? And no 'FA Cup and Europa' cheat answers please, assume you drop out of Europa for the sake of argument.
4th place all day long. Seeing us competing in EL just doesn't get my juice flows.
But it's different from Arsenal fans bigging up importance of 4th place though, since they never done anything tangible with it unlike us (1 champion, 2 finalists in the last decade). So their happiness with 4th place without much of a cup is a bit delusional if I'm being genuinely honest.

Jaybomb

Wait, do you consider Chelsea to be a competitor of United but not Liverpool?

Chelsea have been very, very strong in the past 15 years or so; but surely all things considered Liverpool are still bigger or not?

It would be like saying that PSG is a bigger club than AC Milan.
PSG are now bigger.

No one wants to join AC Milan these days... PSG attracted the likes of Silva, Luiz, Di Maria, Zlatan and Cavani. Need I go on?

Liverpool have history, thats it. The two Milan clubs also have history but they're not big anymore. They're not competing for trophies or winning anything. The top teams in Europe are clearly Madrid, Barca, Bayern, Atleti, PSG and Juve... the Premier League side it would be United, Chelsea and City.

Those are the "Elite" clubs. The rest? Not so much.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
PSG are now bigger.

No one wants to join AC Milan these days... PSG attracted the likes of Silva, Luiz, Di Maria, Zlatan and Cavani. Need I go on?

Liverpool have history, thats it. The two Milan clubs also have history but they're not big anymore. They're not competing for trophies or winning anything. The top teams in Europe are clearly Madrid, Barca, Bayern, Atleti, PSG and Juve... the Premier League side it would be United, Chelsea and City.

Fair enough. You're being consistent. :cool:

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
PSG are now bigger.

Were you a Utd fan in the 70s and 80s? Would you have considered them a big club during that period? Considering from 1969 to 1982 they won one trophy.

PSG were bankrolled in a poor league and have done nothing in the CL - both Milan clubs, whilst going thru a bad period, are still giants of the game.

djmanj

Supports
Arsenal
PSG are now bigger.

United hasn't competed for a major trophy since 13-14. Its the fourth season since then and they are still struggling to qualify for CL. By your own logic United like Liverpool have just History.

Btw I consider Utd a Big club. Its just your logic I cannot accept. How many years without fighting for a Major trophy does it take for an "Elite Club" to be considered not elite anymore?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
United hasn't competed for a major trophy since 13-14. Its the fourth season since then and they are still struggling to qualify for CL. By your own logic United like Liverpool have just History.

Btw I consider Utd a Big club. Its just your logic I cannot accept. How many years without fighting for a Major trophy does it take for an "Elite Club" to be considered not elite anymore?
You know that a major trophy includes the League Cup and the FA Cup?

Jaybomb

United won the FA Cup just last season and continue to attract big players. I honestly can't understand how some people can compare a team that's pretty much ran the country for the better part of 20 years to a club who hasn't even won the Premier League?

Liverpool have won one trophy in 11 years... a league cup. United have won 5 Premier League titles, a Champions League, an FA Cup and a league cup since then. But they're comparable... okay then. :wenger:

You can say it's history but it's modern history. In the Premier League era, Liverpool have been a midtable team. They're no different to the likes of Everton, Spurs, West Ham, Newcastle etc... They might have their fair share of supporters but they're not big clubs on the global scale. Only in their supporters minds are they close to United.

gorky_utd

To be honest player salary is also a very important factor nowadays.All these elite clubs can offer higher salary level than the likes of liverpool.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
To be honest player salary is also a very important factor nowadays.All these elite clubs can offer higher salary level than the likes of liverpool.
Shanghai Shenhua must be the biggest club on the planet in that case.

TheBiggest

You know that a major trophy includes the League Cup and the FA Cup?

Excuse me?

United won the last trophy any team could possibly win in England and will most likely win the next trophy any team can possibly win in England.

gorky_utd

Shanghai Shenhua must be the biggest club on the planet in that case.
So you think salary is not an important factor?How much barcelona pay to msn?How you think city was able to attract top players while the likes of liverpool cannot?History and fanbase is very important but money is also a big factor.

Fitchett

Trophies in that period for anyone wondering:

Chelsea - 10 (2x Premier League, 4x FA Cup, 2x League Cup, 1x Champions League, 1x Europa League)
Manchester United - 9 (5x Premier League, 2x League Cup, 1x FA Cup, 1x Champions League)
Manchester City - 5 (2x Premier League, 2x League Cup, 1x FA Cup)
Arsenal - 2 (2x FA Cup)
Leicester City - 1 (1x Premier League)
Portsmouth - 1 (1x FA Cup)
Wigan Athletic - 1 (1x FA Cup)
Birmingham City - 1 (1x League Cup)
Liverpool - 1 (1x League Cup)
Swansea City - 1 (1x League Cup)
Tottenham Hotspur - 1 (1x League Cup)
10 trophies for United actually. We won the Club World Cup Final in 2008, the only English side ever to have won it. It always irritates me that this win gets ignored. You can bet your bottom dollar it wouldn't get missed off lists if Liverpool or one of the London clubs had won it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FIFA_Club_World_Cup_finals

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
10 trophies for United actually. We won the Club World Cup Final in 2008, the only English side ever to have won it. It always irritates me that this win gets ignored. You can bet your bottom dollar it wouldn't get missed off lists if Liverpool or one of the London clubs had won it.

I know we won it, but did the four as most would class Club World Cup like the Charity Shield and Super Cup.

Fitchett

I know we won it, but did the four as most would class Club World Cup like the Charity Shield and Super Cup.
I know they do, but to me that media view is wrong. Clubs have to qualify to compete in it and eight teams participate, it's not a one off match like the Charity Shield and Super Cup. It's dismissed by the media in this country because only three English clubs have reached the final. Liverpool and Chelsea lost, we won. Time we started publicising that win more, because the mainstream media certainly haven't!

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Ive got as far as 17 and Iam getting the vibe it is about medals.

Giggs.

Neal should be not too far away.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ive got as far as 17 and Iam getting the vibe it is about medals.

Giggs.

Neal should be not too far away.
They created a system based on individual ability, trophies won, legendary status, etc. Think they got the ability pretty much spot on. I'd put Bestie ahead of cristiano and swap fowler for keegan and schmeichel for giggs, maybe dalglish and suarez, the rest are pretty much spot on

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.
They created a system based on individual ability, trophies won, legendary status, etc. Think they got the ability pretty much spot on. I'd put Bestie ahead of cristiano and swap fowler for keegan and schmeichel for giggs, maybe dalglish and suarez, the rest are pretty much spot on
I won't give the game away .

You'd have Suarez over King Kenny in terms of ability ? Suarez gad more flair I'd say but Kenny couldvread a game like nobody else. Sometimes he was a few passes ahead of his team mates.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
United won the FA Cup just last season and continue to attract big players. I honestly can't understand how some people can compare a team that's pretty much ran the country for the better part of 20 years to a club who hasn't even won the Premier League?

Liverpool have won one trophy in 11 years... a league cup. United have won 5 Premier League titles, a Champions League, an FA Cup and a league cup since then. But they're comparable... okay then. :wenger:

You can say it's history but it's modern history. In the Premier League era, Liverpool have been a midtable team. They're no different to the likes of Everton, Spurs, West Ham, Newcastle etc... They might have their fair share of supporters but they're not big clubs on the global scale. Only in their supporters minds are they close to United.
This is a very selective interpretation, for one your achievements are all 4 years out of date, like Liverpool's are 12 years or 27 years out of date.

They won the CL in what 05 or 06? I forget. And had 2 title challenges where they finished 2nd in the last 7 years. Alongside being the dominant force in English football throughout the 70s into 1990. They have shedloads of fans, huge revenues and can spend lots of money. You might want to compare them to those clubs but they're obviously much bigger.

As for your FA Cup comments, it's nice to win it, but your manager got sacked after winning it and our fans weren't entirely happy with our seasons either.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I won't give the game away .

You'd have Suarez over King Kenny in terms of ability ? Suarez gad more flair I'd say but Kenny couldvread a game like nobody else. Sometimes he was a few passes ahead of his team mates.
yeah, I'd probably have Kenny over Suarez, too.

Jaybomb

This is a very selective interpretation, for one your achievements are all 4 years out of date, like Liverpool's are 12 years or 27 years out of date.

They won the CL in what 05 or 06? I forget. And had 2 title challenges where they finished 2nd in the last 7 years. Alongside being the dominant force in English football throughout the 70s into 1990. They have shedloads of fans, huge revenues and can spend lots of money. You might want to compare them to those clubs but they're obviously much bigger.
Its not selective. United are in transition and still won the FA cup last season... Liverpool have won one trophy in 11 years. And thats the worst trophy... Enough said.

The club has been in transition since the 80s. Where do you draw the line and just consider them a midtable club?

Are Nottingham Forest still a big club? Leeds?

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal

You should start a petition and contact your MP to discuss it in parliment. This oppostion media not presenting the alternative facts about United needs to stop

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
I think you underestimate Robson massively.
Robson wasn't a good enough passer to get into that Liverpool side, who were one of the best ever club sides, who were not given their props due to the European ban. They would of picked up more European cups, they'd have walked it 87/88. Their 1 touch football was punch perfect, while you lot played kick and run. So did England with Robson and co.

Cassady

Supports
Accrington Stanley.

You have nothing to go off because neither have won it. Don't create your own sufferings mate.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Its not selective. United are in transition and still won the FA cup last season... Liverpool have won one trophy in 11 years. And thats the worst trophy... Enough said.

The club has been in transition since the 80s. Where do you draw the line and just consider them a midtable club?

Are Nottingham Forest still a big club? Leeds?
Leeds are a big club with a huge fanbase who need massive investment. Forrest had massive success but aren't a big club because they don't have the fanbase.

As for the you v Liverpool argument, they'll probably finish above you and win a CL place this season. You'll probably finish 6th. As for you being a team in transition, Ibrah is 35, Rooney 32, Carrick 35, Mata 28, Young 31, Fellaini 29, Mkhitaryan 28, Valencia 31. That's a pretty old squad for a team 'in transition', especially as 2 are new arrivals, although I do think Mkhitaryan is borderline world class. You have an age issue with this squad, all of those players will go slower, less fit and more injury prone. You can't play a pressing game with them and they'll struggle to get up and down the pitch. There is obviously class amongst some of them ofcourse. But unless you have some supernatural transfer windows I can't see you winning the league/CL with the squad you have anytime soon. Your young players aren't good enough bar Rashford, Martial and Pogba.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Robson wasn't a good enough passer to get into that Liverpool side, who were one of the best ever club sides, who were not given their props due to the European ban. They would of picked up more European cups, they'd have walked it 87/88. Their 1 touch football was punch perfect, while you lot played kick and run. So did England with Robson and co.
I don't agree, he was arguably as good as anyone in that Liverpool midfield, not necessarily the best passer, but a fantastic player. To say they would have walked the European Cup is absolute cobblers. Nothing like a revisionist historian.

I think I'm getting this right grinner.