The F1 Thread 2009 Season

Leg-End

2008 has hardly finished but the boys are back at play. Little early to start a thread I know but a couple of teams are running their very first 2009 spec and I think some will find them, err intriguing to look at.

Very early images and not full 2009 in the Honda's case but the shape of things to come for 2009. The front wings are ridiculous :lol:, love the slicks though.

Count Duckula

The cars are going to look very different next year, and it'll take some getting used to. Still, we've got used to them before, so I'm sure we all shall again. James Allan was right when he said that season was the "end of an era" in how the cars look -- about the only time he ever spoke sense!

I can't wait already. I posted in the end of the 2008 thread about which drivers I thought would be challenging, depending on their cars, and what their chances were. But it does all depend on how the teams cope with these design changes, and the introduction of KERS. For a long while the top teams have been the top teams, but with these design changes and with the KERS there's suddenly scope for a shakeup. Aside from the fact that the aero packages have changed so much that the lower teams might be able to catch up because they're no longer years behind, the KERS will make a huge difference.

Each team seems to be trying a different method, and although by the end of the first season (or even halfway through!) we'll all be fairly sure which is the best method, and most of the teams will have switched to it, I think that for the first few races we might have a few surprises in store. Especially when you consider that teams which might not have the pedigree or success, but DO have the money, will have been chucking notes at this system for a while. Honda and Toyota might suddenly be far more competitive owing to the hundreds of millions that they've spent that other teams simply can't afford.

I can't wait :D

Leg-End

Me too, it is really exciting for the diehard fans and i think F1 will win a few more fans back this year. I am really hoping Honda get their act together under Ross Brawn, I have followed them since BAR in 2003 so since 2004 and parts of 06 its been nothing but letdowns. KERS is going to be important, and Honda look to be leading the way in that department although BMW, Williams and McLaren are all going well if rumours are true.

I knew the cars would look alot different but I really wasnt expecting the double front wing concepts, they will take some getting used to but the share size of the things are good for racing.

Stemmy

I'm not digging these initial designs to be honest but i'm sure they'll be refined and look better 'suited' i suppose by the time the 2009 cars are launched.

Will be a very interesting season ahead i reckon

B Cantona

Desperate
There's something beautiful about slick tyres, we've been without them for too long

Just look at the front wing difference. Can't quite work out how that can be aerodynamically correct, but I guess they know best. Surely if the wing comes out wider than the wheels, any wheel to wheel contact is going to know the wing off or at mimimum damage it?

Stemmy

Not sure how it will work out Brad...While the new front wing will be wider than the front wheels i don't think its wider than the rear axle and wheels.

F1 next season should be getting back to the nitty gritty of racing....with the dirty air effect set to be reduced by about 25-30% and Kers where drivers will have a 80 hp boost button it should make for better racing.

My only concern is F1 seems to be going backwards if you ask me....F1 seems to be losing its sheen as the 'pinnacle' of motorsport.

I'm eager to see the first new car launches anyways....we're going to be in for a shock

Stemmy

Could somebody explain to an F1 novice just what this Kers is.

Cheers
Kinetic Energy Recovery System

Basically a device that stores the heat from breaking energy so the drivers can use a boost button down a straight and gain 80 hp....makes for good overtaking.

Its used in A1 GP

EDIT : actually not really...well i'm not sure if they use KERS per say, but they use a boost button

Stemmy

Yes like a turbo button...allthough i'm not sure of the details of how long they can use it or how often....I think i read a while ago that it can be used for 6 seconds odd per lap but that could have been revised

Leg-End

Not sure if its 6 seconds per lap or it has a 6 second energy storage so it can be used fully for 6 seconds and then is fully depleted. But they can be so effective that one big braking zone will completely replenish it again, will be interesting at the starts. Warm up lap they are going to want to get the KERS full so they can get a boost off the line, but not all teams will run KERS from Round 1 if rumours are true.

Id like to see this guy get the 2nd Honda seat next season

Bruno Senna

Also 5 time WRC champion Sebastien Loeb was testing today for Red Bull and despite running for the first time and in 2008 spec he was 8th fastest out of 17 and only 1.3 seconds off the top, now thats impressive, they guy could drive a wheelie bin fast.

B Cantona

Desperate
Webber seriously injured in crash

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7743308.stm

Formula One driver Mark Webber has been seriously injured after colliding head-on with a car while riding a bike at his own charity event in Tasmania.

The Australian, 32, who drives for the Red Bull racing team, was airlifted to hospital where he is being treated for a broken leg and other injuries.

His condition is believed to be serious but not life-threatening.

The accident happened on a remote road south-east of state capital Hobart at about 1240 local time on Saturday.

Webber was taking part in the Mark Webber Pure Tasmania Challenge, a 250km endurance event consisting of mountain bike riding, kayaking and trekking on the Australian island.

Sergeant Jon Ford, of Tasmania Police, said: "We received reports of a collision between a bicycle and a motor vehicle on the Fortescue Bay Road on the Tasman Peninsula.

"The collision was initially attended by paramedics attached to the event.

"He was airlifted from the scene by helicopter and taken to the Royal Hobart Hospital where he is now being treated for serious but not life-threatening injuries.

"He suffered a broken leg and other injuries and is reported to be in a stable condition."

Webber, who is also a BBC Sport columnist, finished 11th in the Formula One drivers' world championship standings this year.

Red Bull have already begun testing ahead of the 2009 F1 season. The team's next testing session is scheduled to take place in Jerez, in southern Spain, from 9 December.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
Indeed, hope he recovers soon. Didn't realise he's 32 already though, bit of a shame he's never got to drive a competitive car.

The new Ferrari looks good as well, very clean lines

Leg-End

New Ferrari? They are testing the F2008 with KERS, massive cooling unit on the right sidepod. The only teams with 'new' cars are Honda with a front wing, Williams & BMW with a very early versions.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count

Yeh looks like you're right but that looks damn good!

Leg-End

Looks better with Rossi being behind the wheel. Thats the fully blown F2008 though, Badoer was testing the KERS F2008 at Catalunya

Look at the size of the KERS cooling unit :lol: Only temporary though.

B Cantona

Desperate
One for the English lot here, BBC have announced their coverage line up

Lead anchor:

Humphreys

Studio Pundits:

Coulthard

Jordan

Commentators:

Legard

Brundle

Pit Lane Reporters:

Kravitz

McKenzie

Rooney1987

Jake Humphrey is a weird choice from cbbc to this I will give him a chance though. I listened to Legard on 5live allot hes ok better then James Allen anyway. The rest are great choices Brundle was a must it will be great to see DC and Eddie on the tv.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
God I hate that Jake Humphrey; looks like his made from plasticine. Has the personality to match to.

Dave89

I seen that episode, but he's rubbished for a lot of his other TV work on there, doesn't stop him though. As for him not knowing, I doubt the BBC would be too worried about that, they would just want a front-man. I'm not saying he should be, I'm just a bit intrigued by him going from certainty to non-runner.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
He said himself though he hasn't watched an F1 race in his whole life. Maybe it was just media speculation.

Have to say I quite like that line up. A good job keeping Brundle but with Legard I can't see much excitement in the commentary box. Coulthard is a good choice, you know you will get an honest assessment from him. Not to sure about Humphreys but we will see, maybe they should have got Hammond instead of him. McKenzie - great. I read that the studio guests won't be flying around and be in the pit lane like they were on ITV. The best thing is no adverts.

Dave89

Humpherys seemed to know his stuff on sportsround, so I'm quite optimistic.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
I like Brundle.... James Allen was good in my opinion... Was always going to find it tough to replace Murray Walker, but he did well..

Will be good to have the old theme music back and I am sure BBC will be as always creative in their sports coverage. More Studio coverage would be good. Not fussed on Coultard if I am honest.

While I am on this subject.....

Why the feck does marlboro and the other tobacco companies not make the teams test in a country where tobacco licencing is allowed.... would mean they would get a return on their advertising.... Also Bernie go back to basics for qualifying..... I still have not got excited about qualifying since 1994....

Dave89

Which is what i'm liking

The look will definately be refined but the wings and nose just don't look as bizarre to me anymore
Aye, I see what you mean. Side by side with last years cars they are incredibly odd, but by themselves they're grand.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Talking about cars I read that Force India have managed to secure Mercedes engines, and McLaren are also going to provide them with gearboxes and hydraulic systems in addition to the KERS.

That's half a McLaren.

Dave89

If they're still as reliable, (and asuming FI have the skills) then they could get, relatively, a fair few points this year.

x42bn6

Stemmy

Boggles the mind that we could have a championship winner in 9 races then or something...

I personally feel the points system is quite good already. Better than the old 10-6-4-3-2-1, anyway, where Schumacher walked away with the title easily.
I disagree.....while i agree the medal system is stupid i'm not a fan for the current system.

I thought the 10-6-4-3-2-1 system was the better than the currently.It prevented drivers easily settling for second place

B Cantona

Desperate
This medal system is nonsense, instead of using countback to decide a title when it's tied, you're essentially using it as the main points system. For someone who's made a thing for trying to get championships right down to the last race, its a bizarre move

I'm no fan of the current points system either, because 2nd place is too highly rewarded. Perhaps a simple drop of a point to 7 would address that?

Stemmy

This medal system is nonsense, instead of using countback to decide a title when it's tied, you're essentially using it as the main points system. For someone who's made a thing for trying to get championships right down to the last race, its a bizarre move

I'm no fan of the current points system either, because 2nd place is too highly rewarded. Perhaps a simple drop of a point to 7 would address that?
Well dropping the 8 to 7 and awarding the top 7 finishers is a compromise between so I would definately favour that over the current system.

You had drivers settling for their position after the first stop ffs

But to honest if they still want to keep it at awarding the top 8 finishers so keep the lower teams happy then i reckon the race winner should get 12 points.IMO there has to be more incentive for drivers to go for the win

lynchie

It would comlpetely take away the incentive for the lesser teams. At least now they can try and pick up a few points over the season, and measure their progress that way. With this system, they'd come out with nothing year after year. Cutting 2nd to 7 points might make a bit of a difference.

Was it just me that read "Lewis Hamilton would have failed to win this year's title under such a system, which Ecclestone wants for 2009." and thought it suggested the real reasoning behind this idea? The rules might as well read "Everyone races for 20 rounds, and at the end, Ferrari win"