The F1 Thread 2009 Season

Stemmy

"Lewis Hamilton would have failed to win this year's title under such a system"
Thats not an actual quote from anyone...merely whoever originally reported Bernies quotes on the medal system added to the article

EZee

the truth is they have said for years that f1 cars generate enough downforce to drive upside down...

i cant be the only one who feels this would make the sport more exciting...

Leg-End

Bernie is talking bollocks, there is no way all the teams agree with that proposal. He seems to think just because a win will mean alot more than 10 points that it will magically make all the other cars faster. He picks this argument because Massa had 6 wins to Hamiltons 5 and reckons Hamilton did not fight for a win in some events. He is talking complete shit, for starters did he even watch Germany or Spa? Probably just bitter because he is about to lose his wife and a shitload of cash.

Stemmy

Bernie is talking bollocks, there is no way all the teams agree with that proposal. He seems to think just because a win will mean alot more than 10 points that it will magically make all the other cars faster. He picks this argument because Massa had 6 wins to Hamiltons 5 and reckons Hamilton did not fight for a win in some events. He is talking complete shit, for starters did he even watch Germany or Spa? Probably just bitter because he is about to lose his wife and a shitload of cash.
Ah come off it mate....why does every single hair brained scheme to come out of Bernies or Max's mouth have to be down to some way orchestrating it so Ferrari win? Change the record

It doesn't suit Bernie or Max to have Ferrari win all the time, hell that applies to any team...I wouldn't put it past them orchestrating a close championship mind

Leg-End

Where the feck in that post did I mention Ferrari? I said about individuals.

But yes it will be beneficial to Ferrari but also to McLaren if they stay the front runners. The fact of that matter is if we have 2 cars that are clearly faster than the rest and they dominate the first 10 races with 1 driver winning all of them the championship is over, with 9 races to go, ok long shot but such domination has been seen before.

Don't mess with it, 2005,06,07, & 08 were the best this decade.

Stemmy

OK not specifically Ferrari but a Ferrari driver, You imply he would rather manipulate the rules so a Ferrari driver would win over a McLaren driver

And i'm totally against this medal system....its bloody stupid and yet another hair brained idea from Bernie

I'm not a big fan of the current points system either....needs to be more of a point gap between first and second if you ask me.

Ideally i'd like 12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1....Thats it still remains the top 8 drivers core points but the winner is more rewarded....it instills more incentive in the fron runner to fight for wins instead of settling for second all the time

Leg-End

Ideally i'd like 12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1....Thats it still remains the top 8 drivers core points but the winner is more rewarded....it instills more incentive in the fron runner to fight for wins instead of settling for second all the time
I agree with that, its time to rethink the points and reward a win properly, it may widen the gaps and maybe reduce the chance of last race scraps but I think the season as a whole would benefit from it.

I highlighted Massa because this was a clear case and Bernie actually said this

"The need for it was highlighted at the Brazilian Grand Prix at the end of this season when Hamilton only had to finish in the top five to win the title, not win. So this will encourage overtaking."
He seemingly forgets than F1 has always been a test of consistency, and it always should be IMO, that why Schumacher was so good at one time he had over 50 odd consecutive podiums.

To be honest if the cars are alot more equal next season then I can see this benefiting the drivers who are naturally aggressive and skilled at overtaking, aka Alonso & Hamilton. I just think the proposals are too drastic and will totally spoil the fun for the smaller teams and potentially half of them may bugger off.

Stemmy

Aye there would be allright Brad.

Incidentally do any of you reckon the FIA will agree to go ahead with this rubbish idea of Bernies?I reckon he is lying through his teeth when he says all the teams have agreed to this

Leg-End

Aye there would be allright Brad.

Incidentally do any of you reckon the FIA will agree to go ahead with this rubbish idea of Bernies?I reckon he is lying through his teeth when he says all the teams have agreed to this
I very much doubt it. The FIA does the survey for fans every year, and every single time the number 1 thing that comes out on top is more overtaking, I think with the 2009 regulations they have done something about it and now they should let it be for 1 season and go from there.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
I agree on the 'most race wins should be winning the championship' aspect but the medal system proposed is one of the daftest ideas that has come out in recent times.

Leg-End

Early rumours but sources are saying Honda are to withdraw from Formula 1 by March, maybe even sell the team by Christmas. If this turns out to be true this will be a massive blow to F1, hopefully its just rumours and bullshit but there are alot of stories running. :(

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
That would be a shame but I'd say it could well happen. I remember reading a while back that due to the current economic climate some manufacturers are seriously looking to pull out, for obvious reasons. The talk of reducing costs has been on the cards for ages in F1 but they have seriously been looking into it recently and even suggesting wild things like standard engines... Coincidence I think not.

EZee

have all the teams announced their driver line ups next season... and which engines they will be using...

if so can somebody give me a link or write it all out for me...

ta

Swerny

Poster originally known MS MSP
Early rumours but sources are saying Honda are to withdraw from Formula 1 by March, maybe even sell the team by Christmas. If this turns out to be true this will be a massive blow to F1, hopefully its just rumours and bullshit but there are alot of stories running. :(
Source?

Considering Honda has been developping their 2009 car since mid-2008 season I find that doubtful to say the least.

I would suggest they award a point or 2 for pole position as well as fastest lap and maybe total laps led during the race.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
have all the teams announced their driver line ups next season... and which engines they will be using...

if so can somebody give me a link or write it all out for me...

ta
Too early. Senna and co are testing for Honda. Button hasn't even signed a new contract yet has he?

McLaren do have a partnership with Force India though...

Talking about cars I read that Force India have managed to secure Mercedes engines, and McLaren are also going to provide them with gearboxes and hydraulic systems in addition to the KERS.

That's half a McLaren.

Leg-End

Source?

Considering Honda has been developping their 2009 car since mid-2008 season I find that doubtful to say the least.
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=36685

I don't really believe it but its possible, all the money spent on KERS which Honda are ahead of the whole grid in terms of development, scratch built chassis regs for all teams, this was Honda's big chance.

2009 lineups off the top of my head are:

McLaren, Mercedes- Hamilton/Kovalainen - Confirmed
Ferrari, Ferrari - Massa/Raikkonen - Confirmed
BMW, BMW - Kubica/Heidfeld - Confirmed
Renault, Renault - Alonso/Piquet Jr - Confirmed
Toyota, Toyota - Trulli/Glock - Confirmed
Toro Rosso, Ferrari - Buemi/Bourdais/Sato/ - None Confirmed
Red Bull, Renault - Vettel/Webber - Confirmed
Williams, Toyota - Rosberg/Nakajima - Confirmed
Honda, Honda - Button/Barrichello/Senna/Di Grassi - None Confirmed
Force India, Mercedes - Fisichella/Sutil/De la Rosa - None Confirmed

Obviously if Honda withdraw that leaves Button seatless and seemingly nowhere to go, if Honda are bought out they will still be a long shot even with a Honda built chassis as they will be engineless.

EZee

2009 lineups off the top of my head are:

McLaren, Mercedes- Hamilton/Kovalainen - Confirmed
Ferrari, Ferrari - Massa/Raikkonen - Confirmed
BMW, BMW - Kubica/Heidfeld - Confirmed
Renault, Renault - Alonso/Piquet Jr - Confirmed
Toyota, Toyota - Trulli/Glock - Confirmed
Toro Rosso, Ferrari - Buemi/Bourdais/Sato/ - None Confirmed
Red Bull, Renault - Vettel/Webber - Confirmed
Williams, Toyota - Rosberg/Nakajima - Confirmed
Honda, Honda - Button/Barrichello/Senna/Di Grassi - None Confirmed
Force India, Mercedes - Fisichella/Sutil/De la Rosa - None Confirmed

thanks...

B Cantona

Desperate
BBC have confirmed, Honda are out. Wow. They were talking about getting one of the most expensive drivers on the circuit, will have spent millions on the new season spec car... times must be very very hard to make such an immediate move. Either someone buys the team out, or they're folding

Button would surely have a big shout for Torro Rosso. Barrichello might be up shit creak mind. If someone does take them over - who is the current economy? - I'm sure they'd want to keep the drivers they've got by that stage, unless bringing someone in of their nationality, or the nationality the sponsers desire, is a requirement

Wow

Leg-End

They are for sale for £1, but potential owners will take on a £100 million+ projected budget therefore it limits potential buyers or means they will have to make drastic cuts to get in line. The key thing here for Honda is keeping Ross Brawn as part of the deal, my understanding is that he will stay and they will be using Ferrari engines if they find a buyer. If I was Button I would be seriously worried, STR are looking for pay drivers, other teams are closed and his current team is in turmoil.

ERICSAGOD

Grumpy Old Git
Honda poised to quit Formula One

Honda were the lowest-placed of the points-scoring teams in 2008
Honda will quit Formula One on Friday, BBC Sport understands.

The Japanese company hopes to sell its team, which costs £200m a year to run, but is prepared to close the team early in 2009 if no buyer is found.
Sources told BBC Sport the team were "optimistic" they would continue, but no investor had yet been found.

However, according to the Reuters news agency, team bosses Ross Brawn and Nick Fry fear Honda could close the Brackley-based team within weeks.

BBC Website
Going to leave a big hole! :eek:

EZee

dont red bull need a driver with webber injured?... or is his injury not as bad as they said... i though he was going to be out for most of the season

could button go there??????????

Leg-End

dont red bull need a driver with webber injured?... or is his injury not as bad as they said... i though he was going to be out for most of the season

could button go there??????????
Webber is expected back well before March.

B Cantona

Desperate
Dave Richards was interested in taking on a team again a few years back, dunno if he'd still be interested or capable of mounting the bid

I'm stunned by this, all the money Honda have poured at their F1 team, all the effort, bringing in big personel on big wages... things must be severe for the company in general to make a move like this. Surely their stock will take a dive tomorrow? Then again I don't understand these things, and presumably their F1 dealings are loss making, so they may well rise...

Leg-End

Dave Richards was interested in taking on a team again a few years back, dunno if he'd still be interested or capable of mounting the bid

I'm stunned by this, all the money Honda have poured at their F1 team, all the effort, bringing in big personel on big wages... things must be severe for the company in general to make a move like this. Surely their stock will take a dive tomorrow? Then again I don't understand these things, and presumably their F1 dealings are loss making, so they may well rise...
The lack of North American exposure is big factor I think, Honda just announced 30% odd down on sales in America and with F1 not travelling their anytime soon with Canada now gone, couple that with a $300 million a year team that scored 14 points, Earth livery with no title sponsor income, I think it was a matter of time to be honest. If anything its a monkey off Honda's back. Toyota may not be far behind.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
I think the shit performance over the last two seasons had more of an impact than anything else, if they had built on the 06 season no chance will they be wanting out now. Agreed that Toyota might follow suit maybe joining with Williams, Toro Rosso might not survive either. I don't want F1 to become a standard spec series, but that seems to be heading closer as we speak.

EZee

I think the shit performance over the last two seasons had more of an impact than anything else, if they had built on the 06 season no chance will they be wanting out now. Agreed that Toyota might follow suit maybe joining with Williams, Toro Rosso might not survive either. I don't want F1 to become a standard spec series, but that seems to be heading closer as we speak.
agreed... without the technological arms race between the teams it seems half the sport has gone...

it might be a bit geeky but I find the level of engineering just mindboggling...

i still say put loop the loops on the track and its problem solved

Leg-End

Shit performance did not help but believe me all the rumours were that Honda had something with their KERS system for 2009, Ross Brawn at the helm and if they got a half decent start with the new regs they could have quite easily been Top 3 for 2009, but it seems the Honda money machine has just simply run out, the global economy is severly effecting car sales for all manufacturers, Honda have probably decided a $300 million a year ego trip is now too much and we can't really blame them.

I worry that F1 is becoming standard spec alot quicker than we thought. Cosworth have just won the tender for 2010 standard engine's which will be an option for all teams if they need it, but teams can still run their own engines if they can afford to. It would be a very sad sight to see 20 spec cars lining up but it might be reality in 2-3 years.

It's time to start worrying if teams with history start to fold, I really worry for Williams right now, folding in with Toyota might be the correct thing to do like you said.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
The Red Bull owner is to thank for keeping two teams running with huge investments. There surely will be someone like him or a consortium wanting an F1 team... One of these Dubai/Indian/Russian billionaires? This is too good an opportunity to miss - its a decent sized and well run team, a heavily invested car, a decent driver, and you have Brawn at the helm. That itself could potentially mean Ferrari engines, if not, they can always get another's or a Cosworth engine for the season.

I reckon we should blame Bernie / Mosley or someone, they should have seen this coming instead of this mission to rearrange the calender and make as much money as they can. Minardi, Prost, Arrows, Jaguar, Jordan, Gerhard Berger recently, have all had teams that have fallen. Independent teams have come and gone but its a big problem if manufactures are pulling out due to financial concerns.

I still don't think F1 will go into standard spec across the grid, its just isn't F1. Didn't Ferrari recently say that they will definitely pull out if so?

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
Shit performance did not help but believe me all the rumours were that Honda had something with their KERS system for 2009, Ross Brawn at the helm and if they got a half decent start with the new regs they could have quite easily been Top 3 for 2009, but it seems the Honda money machine has just simply run out, the global economy is severly effecting car sales for all manufacturers, Honda have probably decided a $300 million a year ego trip is now too much and we can't really blame them.

I worry that F1 is becoming standard spec alot quicker than we thought. Cosworth have just won the tender for 2010 standard engine's which will be an option for all teams if they need it, but teams can still run their own engines if they can afford to. It would be a very sad sight to see 20 spec cars lining up but it might be reality in 2-3 years.

It's time to start worrying if teams with history start to fold, I really worry for Williams right now, folding in with Toyota might be the correct thing to do like you said.

Yeh they should have done way better after 06 but they sacked the designer Geoff Willis and made the technical side in house, after which their performance plummeted. Bit of a joke that they couldn't find sponsors and going with that retarded myearthdream thing, which meant that Honda were always at a loss.